YouView won't work via HDMI, just Scart.

Comments

• PhilsyPhilsy Member Posts: 28
    edited 16 January 2013, 8:06PM
    Hi

I now have the new January software update and was looking forward to the YouView box working via HDMI. However, even after setting it to 720, the problem remains. Namely, the 'Humax' logo appears for a few seconds when the box is first turned on, then the screen goes completely blank.

What do I do now?

Cheers

Phil
  • Paul RowlandPaul Rowland Member Posts: 15
    edited 16 January 2013, 8:32PM
    Hi Philsy, I'm in the same boat as you, see the Humax logo, then the screen goes blank, so I have to put scart back in.
    I rang Youview who didn't offer much advice, and said to call Humax. Humax helpine is only open 9am-5.30am, which is when I work, so emailed them yesterday (Tuesday) and so far have no reply! if you have a look at the Jan Update thread on here, a few people made suggestions as to what I could try to fix it, so you could see if any of that works for you.
    my TV is a Hanspree Xv 37" YT08. it's about 6 years old, but never had a problem connecting other devices via HDMI.
    edited 16 January 2013, 10:00PM
    Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. If you go back to my original post you will read my original exchange with YouView and Humax. A bit better than your experience.

What puzzles me is why the box won't work with any HDMI-equipped TV. Surely, it should do?

Phil
    edited 16 January 2013, 10:22PM
    I've just emailed YouView again and will see what response I get...
    edited 16 January 2013, 10:46PM
    I've just had another look at this and noticed something. Under HDMI display settings it says "current output no HDMI".

Is this normal? Obviously I have to use a scart connection to see anything on the screen and enter the settings. If its not normal, what do I do to change it?

Phil
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    HI Philsey

At a guess, the box only displays the the HDMI options if you have it connected via HDMI.

Do you have another TV you could try setting it up on?
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    Sadly nailing up the HDMI resolution doesn't work for me either. As described above I get the Humax splash screen at the start of the boot process then just blank screen from then on and the TV shows "out of range" regardless of which resolution I pick from the HDMI settings menu.

Martin

The HDMI options are displayed for me when connected through scart. I get three options 720p 1080i and 1080p
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • edited 16 January 2013, 11:59PM
    Anaglypta said:

Sadly nailing up the HDMI resolution doesn't work for me either. As described above I get the Humax splash screen at the start of the boot process then just blank screen from then on and the TV shows "out of range" regardless of which resolution I pick from the HDMI settings menu.

Martin

The HDMI options are displayed for me when connected through scart. I get three options 720p 1080i and 1080p

Fair enough, it was (as said) just a guess based on Philsy's post. I didn't have a scart lead in the house to test it with.
  • John9John9 Member Posts: 5
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi All

Just been reading the posts on this subject. I brought a YV a few weeks ago. I had an immediate problem on HDMI. Switching between channels would take me to a blue screen (no output) Mmmm seems like windows all over again!!! I checked with YV who after half an hour on the phone and button pushing exersise, advised me to return the box. Huh! did I, thank goodness I did'nt. After reading these posts I changed my HDMI output to 1080i rather than 1080p. Yes all working OK with no problems. I have a JVC LT-42DG8BJ. Hopefully this will help someone with the same problem, rather than sending it back, come on tech support get your act together.....!

John
    edited 19 January 2013, 10:46AM
    Following my last post, I opened an email dialogue (again) with YouView support. However, they weren't very helpful and I got the impression that their replies weren't particularly thoughtful but were perhaps cut and pasted responses.

They've not even replied to my last email, which is disappointing.
  • edited 19 January 2013, 10:49AM
    John9 said:

Hi All

Just been reading the posts on this subject. I brought a YV a few weeks ago. I had an immediate problem on HDMI. Switching between channels would take me to a blue screen (no output) Mmmm seems like windows all over again!!! I checked with YV who after half an hour on the phone and button pushing exersise, advised me to return the box. Huh! did I, thank goodness I did'nt. After reading these posts I changed my HDMI output to 1080i rather than 1080p. Yes all working OK with no problems. I have a JVC LT-42DG8BJ. Hopefully this will help someone with the same problem, rather than sending it back, come on tech support get your act together.....!

John

Hi John

The HDMI settings option was only added in the last week or so with the last software update, if your chat with YouView preceded the update's release then that'll be why they didn't suggest changing the settings.
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:32AM
    John9 said:

Hi All

John

I'm not so sure. In my dialogue (see below) with YouView I explained that I had the latest software and had tried the various settings, and one of the replies I got told me that a new software update was being rolled out and when I got that I would be able to set the output... :(
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:43AM
    John9 said:

Hi All

John

I would agree, but these guys in tech support should be aware of whats in the pipe line as far as up grades go....
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:45AM
    Philsy said:

Following my last post, I opened an email dialogue (again) with YouView support. However, they weren't very helpful and I got the impression that their replies weren't particularly thoughtful but were perhaps cut and pasted responses.

They've not even replied to my last email, which is disappointing.

Lucky for me I retained my TV manual, the specs there made it clear of what settings I was looking for. Hope they respond with an answer.
  • Peter GunnPeter Gunn Member Posts: 5
    edited 31 January 2013, 11:40PM
    Sadly the January update to manually set the HDMI output did not solve my problem
  • thepropertyworksthepropertyworks Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I have the same problem weird thing is it was working in one room we moved the youview box into another room with my same Samsung tv and got the logo then nothing ! Has anynody sorted this yet ??
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

I have the same problem weird thing is it was working in one room we moved the youview box into another room with my same Samsung tv and got the logo then nothing ! Has anynody sorted this yet ??

Make sure both ends of the HDMI cable are seated properly. Make sure the HDMI cable is not running near any other cable in the new location. Either of these things could explain why it stopped working.

If the latter, you might want to buy a better shielded HDMI cable going forward.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • thepropertyworksthepropertyworks Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 February 2013, 2:32AM

Hi Roy tried a new hdmi cable and still same thing get youview logo then no signal ? surely if the logo appears the cable is ok ? Im totally baffled - anyone help !
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 16 February 2013, 11:22AM

Have you contacted the supplier? Maybe it's a faulty box.

The logo appears at a lower resolution than 1080i, and possibly without the HDCP copy protection applied to the broadcast signal.

For that to appear, but not the broadcast signal, implies that:-
    there is no broadcast signal
    or the YV/TV interface can't handle 1080i
    or the YV thinks the TV doesn't do HDCP, and so won't send the signal.

Can you try an alternate HDMI In on the TV?
    Do you see anything if you press the blue 'y' button on the remote?
    If so, can you watch on demand via HDMI?
    If not, does it all work over SCART?

That it did work before, but now doesn't, is odd but not completely inexplicable.
    Will any other devices you may have, like a bluray player, still work over HDMI?
    Or - clutching now at straws - did you bump either TV or YV box in transit?

I don't suppose you could bear to put them back where they were, and see if they work there once again? That might tell you if there is something odd about the second room, though I can't imagine what it might be. Aerial problems, sure, but HDMI shouldn't be affected.
  • Simon11Simon11 Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 February 2013, 11:13PM
    it wouldnt be so bad the HDMI not working if it wasnt for the cronic dot crawl on the scart and composite outputs and the complete lack of a component output. I was going to individually list the bugs ive found with this unit but i simply dont have time. if someone had given me this to test i would have told them its not finished. i seriously cant beleive its on sale !!!
  • CuffbertCuffbert Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 September 2013, 4:57PM
    I am suffering the same problem with Toshiba VL963B . Youview used to work fine on HDMI for a week then it started playing up. First I started getting YVM607 (an error about HDCP) when watching 4od, but live tv and recorded stuff was fine. Soon after I found that the human logowould show up and after a few seconds the screen would go blank. The youview box itself would say please wait or nearly ready on it. I
    Youview works ok with scart on the same tv (even for on demand content). And other devices (my computer and Apple TV) work fine through the TV HDMI . I have latest software on both TV and youview box. And I have tried all 3 resolution options for hdmi output of youview. Eager for a solution...
  • MARTIN LITTLEMARTIN LITTLE Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Guys

Finally got it sorted , I bought another 1.4 hdmi cable from Lidl and thought id try it and hey presto it worked ! I have absolutely no idea why moving from one room to another made the original cable and the spare hdmi cable stop working !

Moral of my story is try at least 3 different hdmi cables before you do anything on these boxes.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 27 February 2013, 3:32AM

Hi Guys

Finally got it sorted , I bought another 1.4 hdmi cable from Lidl and thought id try it and hey presto it worked ! I have absolutely no idea why moving from one room to another made the original cable and the spare hdmi cable stop working !

Moral of my story is try at least 3 different hdmi cables before you do anything on these boxes.

thankyou for getting back to us on this and very happy you solved

age old thing with HDMI they on or off as it were and proves the **** some shops will try and sell you there "monster" cables
  • TechnogranTechnogran Member Posts: 152
    edited 27 February 2013, 6:09AM

Hi Guys

I find that the Humax YouView unit is very picky as to which cables (whether HDMI leads, Aerial leads or Ethernet cables) you plug into it. I managed to get my internet connection sorted by swapping the Ethernet cable for a different one, and it might be prudent if we users who like to assist others now began to advise a user with problems to try another cable or lead.

Hi Guys

So, Technogran, did that Ethernet cable work fine with other equipment, but just not with the YV box, or was it NU in other usages?
  • Ed SlackbladderEd Slackbladder Member Posts: 86
    edited 27 February 2013, 2:57PM

Hi Guys

I seem to remember getting all those abovementioned conectors in the carton that contained the Youview box???

Hi Guys

There's no M-F aerial cable with Humaxes, though I hear that Huawei include one.

But while the HDMI cable, say, supplied with a YV Box ought to be suitable to connect it to a TV, and I'm sure good examples have been tested to be so, there's no guarantee you won't get a duff one :-(
  • ksks Member Posts: 1
    edited 7 March 2013, 11:47PM
    my youview box has worked fine for months stopped working last week through hdmi but working through scart. reset box and it worked for one night now not been able
    to connect since :( tv is 1080p and newish
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 5:49PM
    I am thoroughly peed off with Humax boxes and HDMI cables. After trying several cables I cannot get YV box or my HUmax PVR to work through a powered switch. Luckily I have two HDMI inputs on my TV so have put both the humax boxes on the manual switch and everything else on my lazy powered switch. So much for technology.