YouView won't work via HDMI, just Scart.

Comments

• Johan ThomassenJohan Thomassen Member Posts: 1
    edited 25 October 2013, 9:52AM
    Just got the box and have the same problem with HDMI. We tried it on a Panasonic and a Samsung TV but the result was the same no picture.The picture is not especially good and the sound is poor.What can be done, any suggestions
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    JT

Sounds like another bad HDMI cable, if you get the same result on two TVs.

YV boxes are capable of output every bit as good as your TV can achieve.

Try another HDMI cable, if you have one, or buy one (cheap ones are perfectly usable) and see what results you get.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Peter GunnPeter Gunn Member Posts: 5
    edited 21 June 2013, 10:20PM
    Just back from holiday and noticed that after the May or June update I can now watch BBC HD, etc.

Happy again!
  • Wayne Bramley1Wayne Bramley1 Member Posts: 17
    edited 22 June 2013, 2:38PM
    Has anyone been able to fix the HDMI Issue?
    Im having this issue mentioned in many posts above but with the June 2013 update and a Samsung LE23R71B TV

http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • Peter GunnPeter Gunn Member Posts: 5
    edited 17 July 2013, 12:13AM
    Sadly mistaken about the HD.

The channel is showing as BBC1 HD.

But looking closely at the screen, the picture is not actually HD quality - only SD!
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 17 July 2013, 6:24AM
    What programme?
  • Simon GarrodSimon Garrod Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 August 2013, 9:28PM
    I have the same problem with a Foehn & Hirsch tv. it will connect to everything i have - DVD player, old BT vision box, laptop but not the youview box. The scart signal is dreadful.

Have tried manually setting the YV box under scart to 720p and then reconnecting with HDMI - still nothing after the initial welcome screen.

I realise the TV is pretty **** and ebuyer have stopped selling them, so no firmware update for the TV i guess.

Come on YV/Humax surely there is something you can do to fix the problem for what looks like a sizable number of TV models.
  • SquuiidSquuiid Member Posts: 34
    My Epson EH-TW9100W/9020UBe projector's (WiHD compliant) transmitter, model number WIT2-F0, also will not show a picture when using HDMI on the Humax DTR-T1010 Youview box.
    I have no problems with 5 other HDMI sources, the YV box is the only one which doesn't work. The Humax logo appears but then no picture. I've tried different HDMI cables, placed an HDMI switcher in the path to do mid point handshaking, and have tried different resolutions, to no avail.
    I am running the latest July2013 YV software update,with factory defaults, which supposedly resolved some HDMI handshaking problems. Clearly there are still some to be resolved.
    I will unfortunately be returning the box unless I get a response from YV/Humax in the next few days.
  • Nigel AshleyNigel Ashley Member Posts: 76
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    It is about time Youview got a grip of this problem with HDMi compatability. If so many different makes of television are having problems, clearly the problem lies with the Youview software.
    They have known about it for nearly a year now I have discovered by going back through the forum comments but still it goes on!
    I raised a question with them directly last week and am still awaiting an acknowledgement let alone an answer. Not good customer service at all.
    Come on Youview get it sorted
    My Sony does not recognise the Humax box and sometimes I have to turn the box off and back on again several times just to watch an HD channel let alone a recording. As to the emoticons at the bottom of this page, there isn't one that comes close to how all this makes me feel. NOUGHT OUT OF TEN YOUVIEW!
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM

It is about time Youview got a grip of this problem with HDMi compatability. If so many different makes of television are having problems, clearly the problem lies with the Youview software.
    They have known about it for nearly a year now I have discovered by going back through the forum comments but still it goes on!
    I raised a question with them directly last week and am still awaiting an acknowledgement let alone an answer. Not good customer service at all.
    My Sony does not recognise the Humax box and sometimes I have to turn the box off and back on again several times just to watch an HD channel let alone a recording. As to the emoticons at the bottom of this page, there isn't one that comes close to how all this makes me feel. NOUGHT OUT OF TEN YOUVIEW!

[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.ph...]
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM

Smiley or Smiley or maybe Smiley
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 14 August 2013, 5:23PM

It really is incredible. Youview/Humax are failing at the FIRST hurdle, I can't get a picture using HDMI, full stop. Ridiculous. YV/Humax Q/A and development teams should be reviewed. They need to bring in some better developers as the current crop are utterly useless. As pointed out, Youview's HDMI problems have been around since launch. There is either a hardware problem which means a product recall, or someone needs to code better code!
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Squuiid said:

My Epson EH-TW9100W/9020UBe projector's (WiHD compliant) transmitter, model number WIT2-F0, also will not show a picture when using HDMI on the Humax DTR-T1010 Youview box.
    I have no problems with 5 other HDMI sources, the YV box is the only one which doesn't work. The Humax logo appears but then no picture. I've tried different HDMI cables, placed an HDMI switcher in the path to do mid point handshaking, and have tried different resolutions, to no avail.
    I am running the latest July2013 YV software update,with factory defaults, which supposedly resolved some HDMI handshaking problems. Clearly there are still some to be resolved.
    I will unfortunately be returning the box unless I get a response from YV/Humax in the next few days.

I've got a 6100W. My YouView box is in a different room, but I might haul it in and try it. Can't find the part number for the transmitter at the moment, so I don't know if it's the same as yours or not.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    Squuiid said:

Hi Squuiid, I'm sorry to hear you have encountered this issue with the HDMI signal. Has this always existed between your YouView box and the projector or is it only recently you have experienced the problem? Have you had the opportunity to test the box on a standard HDTV at all?

If you get the opportunity Roy could you test the box on your projector and let me know if you experience the same issue?

Thanks,

Phil
    edited 16 August 2013, 6:31PM
    Humax's response... they don't support using their boxes with a home theatre projector: Unbelievable. I have no problems with 6 other HDMI sources, ONLY the Humax Youview box.

"Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

Unfortunately we can not confirm if the Youview box is compatible with this projector or not.

Can you try different connection types such as Scart or DVI?

As the Youview box is not faulty due to it connecting to the TV through HDMI it may be the projector that is stopping the HDMI access. This could be a possibility due to the Humax logo appearing and then going off when connected to the projector.

We do not test our boxes on projectors, therefore we can not confirm if the box or the projector is compatible.

Best Regards,

xxxxxxx

Humax Customer Support"
    edited 16 August 2013, 6:36PM
    Squuiid said:

Hi Phil,

This is a new DTR-T1010 Youview box, I tried it with the original software it came with and then updated the software to the latest version. Both had HDMI handshake issues with the WiHD transmitter and would not show anything once the TV signal kicks in, after the start-up logos.

I would like to ask to have this escalated to the development team please. I feel that there is a strong case for the Humax/Youview Q/A team to acquire an Epson EH-TW9100W so that they may run some tests and identify the software bug preventing correct HDMI handshaking between the Humax DTR-T1010 box and the Epson WiHD transmitter.

TV tuner boxes are widely used with Home theatre projectors given that they have no built-in tuners. I don't believe this to be an outlier case and would appreciate if the issue could be worked on.

I have no problems with 6 other HDMI devices, including a Tivo Premiere, PS3, Sony Freeview VTX-D800, MacMini 2012, AppleTV 2012 and Sky HD+ 2TB. The Humax Youview box is the only device with a problem and the fault clearly lies with the HDMI handshaking code in the Humax/Youview software.

I'm sure Epson could provide a free unit for testing if contacted:
    Epson EH- TW9100W:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/...

Epson Contacts:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/...

Thank you for your assistance.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    But what else could they possibly say, given that the box hasn't been tested with the projector?
    edited 16 August 2013, 7:10PM
    Sam, they could say we will ask Epson for a unit for testing and work on resolving the problem. The gist of Humax's response is essentially "not our problem".
    If I were the only person having HDMI handshake issues with a Youview box then fair enough, however the current situation is far from that. There have been HDMI problems with the Humax Youview boxes from day one, impacting a multitude of hardware.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Yes, I know, but I think (I could be wrong) if would be up to YouView to establish whether it's a YouView fault and if so, raise it as a problem for Humax to deal with. Maybe ring YouView and ask them what the procedure is.
    edited 22 August 2013, 9:31AM
    Squuiid said:

Phil, any response to the above would be much appreciated. Humax have unfortunately been no help at all.
    Thanks in advance.
  • PeteBPeteB Member Posts: 78
    edited 22 August 2013, 12:01PM
    What I'm struggling to understand here is why should an HDMI input on a projector be any different to one on a tv? Is this just an issue with Humax Youview boxes or is it the same with Huawei ones? There does seem to be a surprising number of technical problems with this product - I really can't make up my mind whether this is just complacency or incompetence.

Do Youview actually want their product/brand to succeed? Is Rupert Murdoch and his cronies paying people off to stifle its success? Wouldn't be the first time a real competitor to Sky has reportedly failed due to external interference.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 22 August 2013, 1:49PM
    The difference is in how different companies interpret the HDMI handshaking specification. It can be like an American trying to understand a Scotsman.
    Squuiid said:

I'm home now, and can maybe try the YouView box on the projector HDMI sender in the next few days. The PVR in the lounge is my Digital Stream; that works perfectly over the projector HDMI sender, alongside my Sony BDPS5100 bluray player.
    edited 23 August 2013, 7:24PM
    Squuiid said:

Thanks Roy! If you could let us know the model number of the WiHD sender, from the bottom of the unit, that would be helpful too.
    Squuiid said:

It's a WIT2-E0. So yours is either a slightly newer model, or a typo. There's a declaration of conformity in my Epson paperwork, with the projector on one side and the wireless transmitter on the other, and this agrees with the label on the unit, so it's definitely an E0 I have.

But yours is a 9100W, a bit poncier than my mere 6100W, so it's possible there's a real difference.

Close enough, though, either way, for it to be worth me trying the sender on my YouView box.
    I guess just using it as a switch box between YouView box and TV in situ will be enough for diagnosis, and save me having to unplug the YouView box and haul it into the lounge?
    edited 24 August 2013, 6:41PM
    Squuiid said:

"I guess just using it as a switch box between YouView box and TV in situ will be enough for diagnosis, and save me having to unplug the YouView box and haul it into the lounge?"
    I would imagine so. Thanks again for taking the time to do this. Very kind of you.
    @Squuiid

The WIT2-E0 works impeccably. Instant HDMI connection with my Samsung UE32D6530, and equally able to display the YouView box and my Sony BDP-S480, and to switch between them, even with PIP on the YouView picture while showing the bluray picture and vice versa.

The Samsung reveals that we have 1920x1080 @ 50hz on the YouView picture, so no compromise.

I can't think that trying to send the picture to the Epson, rather than to a TV, should make any difference.

Sorry to muddy your pond.... :-(
    edited 27 August 2013, 10:48AM
    Roy1 said:

@Squuiid

The WIT2-E0 works impeccably. Instant HDMI connection with my Samsung UE32D6530, and equally able to display the YouView box and my Sony BDP-S480, and to switch between them, even with PIP on the YouView picture while showing the bluray picture and vice versa.

The Samsung reveals that we have 1920x1080 @ 50hz on the YouView picture, so no compromise.

I can't think that trying to send the picture to the Epson, rather than to a TV, should make any difference.

Thanks Roy. Actually, I've thought about this and it will make a difference. The handshaking path is to your Samsung TV, not to the Epson. Ultimately the HDMI handshaking must take place between the Youview, WIT2-E0 and Epson projector. It's the full path that matters, despite the WIT2-E0 acting as a go between, the signal is from the Youview to the end device, in this case the Epson projector.
    If it isn't too much trouble it would be great to see if that gives the same results, but I understand it's more effort and appreciate you responding and helping out already to something which doesn't really impact you. Thank you.
    Roy1 said:

@Squuiid

Ah. Are we sure that the wireless transmission from the WIT2-x0s is using the HDMI protocol, and not some proprietary Epson scheme?

Also, the way the WIT2 works - re encoding the outgoing picture, or at the very least superposing the little PIP windows for the alternate inputs on it, when you choose this - makes me think it must be handshaking with each input simultaneously, and then separately handshaking on its HDMI output when it sends on the composited screen picture.

What we are dealing with here has way more smarts than an HDMI switch, I think, though I haven't got one of those, and don't know how they handshake, or if they are just passive path-enabling devices.

But no problem. I can take the projector upstairs, that's easier than moving the YouView box. Probably at the weekend.

In the meantime, could you try the converse; connect your WIT2-F0 to a TV via its HDMI out, and see if that works for you or not?
    edited 28 August 2013, 9:21AM
    Roy1 said:

@Squuiid

I wish I could. I live in a small flat and my projector IS my TV :)
    Thanks again, I wish I could try that. What I did just do though is plug the Youview box directly into the projector HDMI1 port bypassing the WiHD transmitter and it works fine. Unfortunately it won't work for me as my AV unit is at the other end of the room, hence the need for the WiHD transmitter.