YouView won't work via HDMI, just Scart.

Comments

• mark devanneymark devanney Member Posts: 10
    edited 1 November 2013, 6:48PM
    hi - got a new youview box today but cant get it to work with a technika -tesco, looks like hdmi not doing a handshake if thats the right expression. tried 3 different hdmi cables, moved to main tv which is a panasonic viera and its fine on that- tried the 3 different resolution options - 720p, 1080i, 1080p with no luck. anyone had the same issue ?

strange thing was out the box it went through the initial setup ok - which is [email protected] but once it completed screen went pink with horizontal lines- reset of the humax youview box makes no difference- youview support have asked me to reset, change res, update software then talk to BT who supplied but no luck at all- is there a HDMI auto negotiate on the humax box that can be turned on/ off ?
  • Charles SzmagaraCharles Szmagara Member Posts: 4
    edited 1 November 2013, 9:13PM
    Welcome to the club of grumpy youview owners. We are not grumpy by nature, only because youview is doing literally everything not to support us with this issue.

I have a Yamaha AV Receiver RX V3900 and I have the same problem. No video through HDMI to AV box, just sound. Straight to TV it works fine.
  • Nigel MercierNigel Mercier Member Posts: 47
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    This problem has just started happening to me. Sometimes, and it think it may be related to how the box turned off, there is no HDMI output once the boot up has completed. It was fine until a week ago, and the TV is a Sony Bravia.

It may be related to the problems in this thread
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

This problem has just started happening to me. Sometimes, and it think it may be related to how the box turned off, there is no HDMI output once the boot up has completed. It was fine until a week ago, and the TV is a Sony Bravia.

It may be related to the problems in this thread

It sounds like your YouView box may be failing. Time to get your recordings watched.

A call to Humax might be useful, but I'm not optimistic.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • DavoDavo Member Posts: 110
    edited 3 November 2013, 11:29AM
    Now pleased to say I have output from HDMI again after changing eco mode to low though I would prefer it to work with high
    edited 29 October 2014, 1:14PM
    The first thing I tried was turning Eco Mode to low, didn't fix it :(
  • SquuiidSquuiid Member Posts: 34
    edited 3 November 2013, 4:12PM
    Squuiid said:

More Humax correspondence:

"Thank you for the response. I would like to ask to have this escalated to the development team please. I feel that there is a strong case for the Humax/Youview Q/A team to acquire an Epson EH-TW9100W so that they may run some tests and identify the software bug preventing correct HDMI handshaking between the Humax DTR-T1010 box and the Epson WiHD transmitter.

TV tuner boxes are widely used with Home theatre projectors given that they have no built-in tuners. I don't believe this to be an outlier case and would appreciate if the issue could be worked on.

I have no problems with 6 other HDMI devices, including a Tivo Premiere, PS3, Sony Freeview VTX-D800, MacMini 2012, AppleTV 2012 and Sky HD+ 2TB. The Humax Youview box is the only device with a problem and the fault clearly lies with the HDMI handshaking code in the Humax/Youview software.

I'm sure Epson could provide a free unit for testing if contacted:
    Epson EH- TW9100W:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/...
    Epson Contacts:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/...

Thank you for your assistance."

Please note that as posted above, there are many others with this same issue. This is not an outlier case:
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486298/hdm...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/youvie...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freevi...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/projec...

Hi Phil, I have indeed, thank you for pushing this along. They requested firmware versions of both my projector and the Humax 1010. I'm waiting to hear back.
    edited 3 November 2013, 6:48PM

I am rather surprised it worked with me but after changing back to high then low it now shows no output again :(
    edited 4 November 2013, 2:07AM

Now ok again with low eco mode, very strange
  • SquuiidSquuiid Member Posts: 34
    edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    Folks, be sure to 'STAR' this topic and give it the recognition it merits. Scroll down this page and click the star on the right for this thread:
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    Squuiid said:

Folks, be sure to 'STAR' this topic and give it the recognition it merits. Scroll down this page and click the star on the right for this thread:

It's a lot easier to hit +1 at the top of this thread.
    (It does the same thing.)
    (The +1 button goes away when it's been clicked.)
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    I may have fixed my problem via Maintenance Mode, see http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • Ben HoltBen Holt Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 November 2013, 4:27PM

Forgot to add the using a SCART connection works fine on the Foern Hirsch LCD TV.

Hi Matthew, I'm having the same issue with a Foern Hirsh TV. Did you solve it?
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM

I may have fixed my problem via Maintenance Mode, see http://community.youview.com/youview/...

Hi Nigel have you had a re-occurrence of any of the issues since doing maintenance mode?
    edited 19 November 2013, 1:10PM

Any closer to a fix ? There are a lot people with this problem so I hope so
    Maintenance mode seemed to fix it for about 24hours, but the fault is now back. I have removed the SCART lead as I was told this could cause problems. I can now see a pattern: the box starts up and the HDMI output works for a couple of minutes, then blanks. Leaving it for an hour or so will normally cause it to return, if not then a soft power cycle or two will fix it. It is then normally OK for the rest of the evening, with perhaps one more power cycle needed.

Two other things of note: if the magenta screen appears (rare) it is still there in standby. When in standby during a power cycle, the TV screen will suddenly display the HDMI mode, turning it on after this will produce a picture.

There have been two or three updates since this started, one a couple of days ago. I noticed when I returned to the update screen that the update appeared not to have completed, I left it to reboot.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The Dec update appears to have fixed the HDMI problem with me but I am probably wrong about this, time will tell ! Btw I totally loathe the new forum layout, if it ant broke why fix it !
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Davo said:

The Dec update appears to have fixed the HDMI problem with me but I am probably wrong about this, time will tell ! Btw I totally loathe the new forum layout, if it ant broke why fix it !

It was broke. YouView broke it worse.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    December update did not fix it for me. I'm appalled at the suggestions to try another TV, this is clearly a fault with the Humax box; it worked fine until a previous update. I'm certainly not going to swap my Sony Bravia for something else just to be compatible with a duff signal.

And this forum software is now terrible.
    edited 10 December 2013, 1:40AM

December update did not fix it for me. I'm appalled at the suggestions to try another TV, this is clearly a fault with the Humax box; it worked fine until a previous update. I'm certainly not going to swap my Sony Bravia for something else just to be compatible with a duff signal.

And this forum software is now terrible.

I am sure it is coincidence really, I had hdmi ok for an evening last week also
    Jesse1 said:

Hi Philsy, sorry to hear you're experiencing problems.

We are aware of this and working on a fix, in the meantime:

1. Please restart your box to see if this fixes the problem. To restart your YouView box, simply touch the FRONT panel round power button for 8 seconds continually, then let go. You will know that your box has restarted when you see 'Hello' on the front panel followed by 'Please wait.'
    2. Where possible - plese try a different TV make/model

I think I have cracked it. I replaced the cable for a second time with one of these. It has been perfect for two days now.
    edited 17 December 2013, 2:56PM
    Jesse1 said:

1. Please restart your box to see if this fixes the problem. To restart your YouView box, simply touch the FRONT panel round power button for 8 seconds continually, then let go. You will know that your box has restarted when you see 'Hello' on the front panel followed by 'Please wait.'

Hmm please report back after a week if still ok then I may consider getting one but I really need a 4m version for my setup. Btw I hope you did'nt buy from amazon as they are only £6.99 from ebay :)
    Jesse1 said:

The similar one I bought on eBay was the first I tried; it didn't work, so probably a fake.

The Amazon one worked immediately, and has not failed since. This is unprecedented, the fault would always appear at some point. The cost is irrelevant IMO, I would have paid a lot more to get my box working again.

edited 17 December 2013, 3:23PM
    Jesse1 said:

Oh I see, I would like to see others try this one also.You may have just been lucky, a fluke etc but do report back. I don't mind spending a bit also if it's going to fix the problem

Have you tried both ECO modes btw?

edited 18 December 2013, 6:41PM
    Jesse1 said:

So still ok ?
  • Alan5Alan5 Member Posts: 3
    edited 18 December 2013, 11:00PM
    Jesse1 said:

Many PVR's in the pass had troubles with HDMI linking and what I can remember is some had good things happen when they re started the boxes with both leads into the tv and software's found the HDMI. Also some TV's needed to have HDMI as auto in software.

I would make sure that the HDMI is not damaged with testing on other boxes or laptop linked to the TV by the HDMI.

Also some TV and Boxes need an order of linked items SO the Youview may work better in HDMI slot 1 and not 2 or other way around.

You could try to link the box to the TV and reboot the TV software as factory start and that may kick it to talk to the Youview box ?  ( this will mean that any settings you made will have to be re done  sorry )

• SuzySuzy Member Posts: 8
    edited 5 January 2014, 7:29PM
    Jesse1 said:

After a year of working perfectly I turned on my TV one night and it now refuses to work with my Youview box via HDMI, only with scart. I've tried replacing with a new HDMI cable but I'm still getting a 'no signal' unless I use scart instead. I've tried the box reset with no joy and resetting the TV, same result. Given that it was working perfectly fine with no changes made by me, I've no idea what could be the problem. Any more suggestions other than the Amazon cable given I've just bought a new cable with no happy result? Thanks!

• SuzySuzy Member Posts: 8
    edited 5 January 2014, 9:38PM
    Jesse1 said:

After online chat with BT my issue is now resolved via an email they sent me describing the resetting of the box.. All is well, phew! and a rare thank you to BT!
    edited 5 January 2014, 10:07PM
    Jesse1 said:

Good luck but it may not last
  • Brian GreenBrian Green Member Posts: 2
    edited 7 January 2014, 1:22PM
    I see that this tread is over a year old but is marked as unresolved. Is it correct that the problem has not been fixed yet?

I presume that my problem is related to this thread.

I have tried changing the HDMI settings on the Youview box to try and get the TV (A fairly old Sanyo) to display HDMI output. All 3 settings have the same effect, ie no picture at all.

The HDMI settings box gives this message:

"If you have problems with your picture when using an HDMI cable to connect to your TV, you can adjust the HDMI output below. The current output is:- NO HDMI."

How can I change the settings so that there is an HDMI output?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Brian