YouView won't work via HDMI, just Scart.

Comments

• Chris DaviesChris Davies Member Posts: 4
    edited 8 January 2014, 8:23PM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi Philsy, sorry to hear you're experiencing problems.

We are aware of this and working on a fix, in the meantime:

1. Please restart your box to see if this fixes the problem. To restart your YouView box, simply touch the FRONT panel round power button for 8 seconds continually, then let go. You will know that your box has restarted when you see 'Hello' on the front panel followed by 'Please wait.'
    2. Where possible - plese try a different TV make/model

What did they say to do. ?
  • Chris DaviesChris Davies Member Posts: 4
    edited 8 January 2014, 8:23PM
    Jesse1 said:

1. Please restart your box to see if this fixes the problem. To restart your YouView box, simply touch the FRONT panel round power button for 8 seconds continually, then let go. You will know that your box has restarted when you see 'Hello' on the front panel followed by 'Please wait.'

*you
  • Rob HobbsRob Hobbs Member Posts: 1
    edited 8 January 2014, 11:17PM

Forgot to add the using a SCART connection works fine on the Foern Hirsch LCD TV.

I am also having this problem works fine with HDMI on a JVC led TV but not on the foen and hirsh tv
  • SuzySuzy Member Posts: 8
    edited 8 January 2014, 11:45PM
    Jesse1 said:

Davo, you were right I'm afraid. The very next evening I came in, turned on the TV and the screen was purple! I had another online chat with BT this evening and they're sending me a replacement box. *sigh* Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!
  • SuzySuzy Member Posts: 8
    edited 8 January 2014, 11:47PM
    Jesse1 said:

This is what I did and it only worked until I turned the TV off...

These are instructions on how to enter the
    Maintenance Mode on your Humax YouView box, which can be used when you need to
    reset your box, or restore the software.

Before you start you will need to make sure everything is connected:

1. Your YouView box is plugged into your electricity mains power in the ON
    position.

2. The internet connection from your router, either from a direct Ethernet
    connection or by Homeplug adaptors, needs to be connected to the Ethernet port
    of the Youview box with your Router powered on and connected to the Internet.

3. Ensure your YouView box is connected to your TV with EITHER an HDMI or SCART
    cable and that the correct Source/ input is selected for your TV.

Please follow these steps:

1. Start with the YouView box powered off from the switch on the REAR panel
    power button. Power back on the YouView box using the REAR panel power button.

2. When the FRONT power button is illuminated with an orange circle, press the
    FRONT panel power button firmly once and it will turn blue (See below- Step 3).
    Immediately press and hold the "VOL-" button which can be found on
    the right of the FRONT panel the first silver button. (See below - step 4).

3. A message saying "Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N (Y: POWER)" appears
    on the TV screen. Press the FRONT panel power button firmly once and wait for
    about 1 minute until the Maintenance Mode screen appears.

4. Using the P+/P- buttons on the FRONT panel to move up and down the menu,
    navigate to the 1st option "Software Reset (Recommended) " Once
    highlighted Press VOL- on the FRONT panel to select this option.

5. You will need to press VOL- on the FRONT panel again to confirm.

6. The "Software Reset " progress bar appears, the download will
    depend on your Internet connect speed.

7. Warning: Do not switch off the product or disconnect from the Internet
    during the Download process.

8. When completed, the Youview box will restart and you will see the “Welcome
    to YouView” screen; allow 2 minutes for the box to start.

9. Note: If throughout this process the YouView box shows "FAILED!
    Selected option not completed" on the TV screen then please switch the box
    OFF using the REAR panel power button and repeat steps 1-8. (Please make sure
    that your YouView box is connected to the Internet as a connection is required
    to download the software). In cases where the process does not successfully
    restore your YouView box, you will need to follow the steps again but for step
    4 please select "Factory Reset - Keep Recordings "

• David01608David01608 Member Posts: 4
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Any sign of a fix for this problem?

I have precisely the same problem as Brian, but with a Humax DTR-T1010 and a Technika LCD19-907 TV, which works fine with all my other HDMI devices, including a Humax HDR-FOX T2. I've tried all HDMI resolution settings and "factory reset ", all to no avail. Humax Tech Support say they are not aware of the problem, which is a bit rich given that this thread goes back more than 2 years.

I should have hoped that a fix for such an apparently common problem would have been found by now.

David
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I have precisely the same problem as Brian, but with a Humax DTR-T1010 and a Technika LCD19-907 TV, which works fine with all my other HDMI devices, including a Humax HDR-FOX T2. I've tried all HDMI resolution settings and "factory reset ", all to no avail. Humax Tech Support say they are not aware of the problem, which is a bit rich given that this thread goes back more than 2 years.

I should have hoped that a fix for such an apparently common problem would have been found by now.

David

I take it you have tried a different HDMI cable, ensuring it is firmly pushed in at both ends, and routed well away from any other cables?

If not, that's the next thing to try.

Also, have you seen the HDMI from the YouView box working on any other TVs you may have handy?

But the HDMI on YouView boxes is famously flaky with TV s not made by the big four, and even with some of those.

Which is puzzling, as we know that HDMI is on the box manufacturer's side of the hardware/firmware/software interfaces, and I can't see anything in the YouView tech specs that would require the manufacturer to depart from their proven practices on HDMI on their other boxes, like the FOX-T2.

Maybe Humax were experimenting with a new approach on YouView though, and this wasn't altogether successful?
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Brian GreenBrian Green Member Posts: 2
    edited 15 November 2014, 5:58PM

David

Hi Roy. I had to get a new TV a chose a Panasonic. The Humax YouView box works just fine with that one.

Brian

David

Big four - yep.
    edited 19 February 2015, 10:45PM

David

The HDMI cable is the same one that works with the FOX-T2, and was supplied by Humax. The two boxes are stacked, so I simply unplugged the cable from one and plugged it into the other. I did read somewhere that somebody else with the same problem had resolved it by using a particular branded cable, so I've ordered one of those, but I should have thought that one HDMI cable was much the same as another, bar refinements such as gold-plated pins and extra screening. I should imagine that it's an HDMI handshaking, rather than a cable, issue - but I'll report back when I've tried the fancy cable.

The box works fine with a borrowed Samsung TV, but I'd rather not replace the Technika as it's built into a bookcase in my living room, and works fine with every other HDMI device I own. If I did replace the Technika, I should need to find a replacement with very similar physical dimensions in order to fit into the bookcase. On the other hand, I suppose I don't really need a TV nowadays, merely an HD monitor, preferably with more than one HDMI port.

David

David

I believe stacked is bad, and the FOX could well be interfering with the YouView box.

Though this would not quite explain why the Samsung TV is OK and the Technika not with the YouView box.

You are largely right about HDMI cables being much the same - insofar as they either work or they don't, with no intermediate stages of good/OKish/poor like analogue cables have.

But as this one does not work at all, a better screened one might deal more effectively with what the FOX might be throwing at it as it passes,

One test I would try would be to turn the FOX off at the mains, and see if that helps. Even then, though, you still have a big chunk of mixed magnetics in close proximity to the YouView box, so taking the FOX right out might be an option to try.

I take it, by the way, that you see nothing at all on the Technika fed from the HDMI for the YouView box? That's unusual; most manage at least the 576i startup screen, and sometimes a minute or so of the fuller resolution, before giving up on HDMI in these problem situations.
    edited 19 February 2015, 10:45PM

David

The two boxes are only stacked temporarily so that I can use the same leads whilst trying to get the YouView box to work: they are not switched on at the same time. When frustration gets the better of me, I switch back to the FOX-T2 just to reassure myself that the cables are OK and that I've not done anything really stupid!

I get to see the YouView start-up screen OK (720p, rather than 576i, according to my TV), but this is followed by an "HDMI Out of Range" error message about a minute later. Curiously, exactly the same thing happens even when the YouView box HDMI resolution is set up to 720p (using the SCART interface temporarily), so the HDMI handshaking would appear to change during the boot sequence. I'm wondering whether it might be worth trying an HDMI switch between the YouView box and the TV, merely as a repeater, but I'd need to purchase one.

Thanks for maintaining interest!

David

David

Yes, I believe it does change, notably trying to negotiate HDCP at that point. The manual for your TV does not mention HDCP at all, though it does seem extremely unlikely that it would not possess it.

I wonder if YouView have one of Tesco's finest in their battery of TVs they test on? ISTM this would be a good idea.
  • DavoDavo Member Posts: 110
    edited 19 November 2014, 1:14PM

David

It's more than laughable that this problem has still not been fixed all this time later, my youview box blew up about a year ago anyway so I gave up with it all, poor show Humax, pun intended I guess

David

Nice to know you still keep a watching brief, though.

I can well understand that the idea of YouView is so attractive that people who had been disappointed by the reality might well keep coming back to see if the early promise had been fulfilled after all.
  • Anjum SayedAnjum Sayed Member Posts: 3
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I'm getting the same issue with a Humax T1000 (with a BT logo bought from John Lewis over a year ago). I bought a new Sony Bravia KDL42W7 in December and the box was working fine all throughout Christmas.

Then last week I tried to bring it out of standby, and there was a purple screen. Off and on with the switch at the back, then the Humax splash screen shows (at 720p) and then the screen goes blank. The box is still responsive on the LCD when I change channel. I've tried a factory reset (I did it blind following the very detailed instructions further up the thread, since I don't have a SCART cable to hand at the moment), a new HDMI cable, switching HDMI ports, and every combination of switching the box/tv on first. Nothing has disturbed the box or cable since it is in a cabinet.

I don't understand why this suddenly happened one day when it was working perfectly before? Is this a case of a £200 box destined for the skip after only a years use?

I'm getting the same issue with a Humax T1000 (with a BT logo bought from John Lewis over a year ago). I bought a new Sony Bravia KDL42W7 in December and the box was working fine all throughout Christmas.

Then last week I tried to bring it out of standby, and there was a purple screen. Off and on with the switch at the back, then the Humax splash screen shows (at 720p) and then the screen goes blank. The box is still responsive on the LCD when I change channel. I've tried a factory reset (I did it blind following the very detailed instructions further up the thread, since I don't have a SCART cable to hand at the moment), a new HDMI cable, switching HDMI ports, and every combination of switching the box/tv on first. Nothing has disturbed the box or cable since it is in a cabinet.

I don't understand why this suddenly happened one day when it was working perfectly before? Is this a case of a £200 box destined for the skip after only a years use?

As the TV is relatively new, it is possible that this is at fault (bathtub curve).

Here you tried another device, such as a BluRay player, in the same HDMI socket on the TV with the same HDMI cable, in order to ensure it is indeed the YouView box at fault?

Or perhaps you could try the YouView box on another TV - perhaps you kept the old one, relegated to another room or whatever?

But if it is the YouView box, then yes, I fear it may be destined for the skip after only a year. Although the reliability of YouView boxes, or their lack of it, is 'within industry norms', there are a lot of examples turning up from within those 'norms'.

But all is not lost (get a SCART cable and watch those stored recordings quick) as John Lewis guarantee their stuff for two years, if not indeed five, so if it is faulty, pop it back to them. And gently suggest they might like to replace your box with the newer, improved BT-badged box from the 2000 range, since your 1000 has proved, as many though not all of them do, unsatisfactory.

Hopefully, JL is close enough you won't need to refuel on the way.

Then JL, unable to refute your claim or take refuge from it, can decide if they want to enskip your box, or pop it back to Humax for a refund, after which Humax can ruefully make the choice of whether it's refurb or refuse material.

And you can refurnish your home setup with the replacement, whose HDMI output will be refulgent once more, and which will hopefully last rather longer.
  • Anjum SayedAnjum Sayed Member Posts: 3
    edited 19 February 2015, 9:42AM

Hi Roy, thanks for your reply. Yes I've tried a PlayStation and a Raspberry Pi on the same cable and socket with no issues. I'll see if I can dig out the invoice from John Lewis and send it back... :(
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM

Hi Anjum - Sorry to hear you've been experiencing this issue. We are aware of an issue where a blank screen can occur after the HDMI resolution change during the start-up sequence. This is an issue that we are investigating. What we've observed so far is that you may be able to resolve the issue by connecting a SCART and changing the resolution in the settings to 720p or 1080i (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > HDMI Display Setting) and then re-connecting your HDMI again. 

As Roy also suggested, you can try connecting your YouView box to another TV if possible and if it works fine, then you can either use this TV in the meantime or change the resolution in settings to 720p/1080i and re-connect it to your original TV. 

As a part of the investigation we would ask you for your Box Make/Model & your TV Make/Model which you've already given, thank you. 

If you were able to connect via SCART we'd also ask you for your Software Versions (Settings > System Information > Software Versions). If you do connect via SCART please let us know.

If you have already returned the box to JL  for a replacement then please let us know if you experience this again with the new box.
    edited 19 February 2015, 11:24PM

"This is an issue that we are investigating". Still investigating after 2 years?  Well, I wouldn't want you to rush into anything, just for the sake of customers....!
  • bakestevebakesteve Member Posts: 3
    edited 19 March 2015, 10:20PM

I have EXACTLY the same issue. Eveyrthing was working ok. Then ~ late jan / feb, my projector (Benq) started not recognising the hdmi source (had been working fine, for around a year, all with same equipment, and works fine with an apple tv connected)
    Now, very occassionally it will connect and stay connected, but 90% of the time it does exactly as described above:
    - shows Humax
    - blacks out
    - display on unit goes blank ~ same time
    - display comes back, says channel name, full hd
    - projector says "no signal"
    - argh..

I've tried:
    another TV (PC monitor, with hdmi)
    - other sources for teh projector (apple tv, laptop)
    - different cables

I CANT try scart, as I dont own anything that uses scart
    Its also a BT branded humax 1000, anyone have any ideas??
    seen a fair few references to a feb update, but cant even get in now to actually find the software version

had a few conversation with BT support but no joy.. argh!
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Presumably related to Sanj's comments above, there is a recent sticky topic on the BT YouView forum asking people experiencing a pink or blank screen on start up to complete a short survey. Presumably if they are gathering data they have had a number of similar reports and are looking for a pattern to assist tracking down a bug or issue.

Anyone get you to do a soft reset - while not recording, touch the standby button for just over eight seconds and let the box reboot?

If not, they should have - try it and see.

If they did, and you tried it with no benefit, did anyone tell you about trying the Maintenance Mode reset?

https://support.youview.com/articles/...

I reckon Mode 4 is favourite.

You will need to set up your box again more or less from scratch, but this is the most root-and-branch reset you can do that still keeps your recordings, unlike the full factory reset.
    edited 19 March 2015, 11:08PM

tried the soft reset, no joy. canteven get into see the maintenance mode part, and tried a 'blind' reset, but no joy there. BT engineer out on sat, so will update after that
    edited 19 March 2015, 11:11PM
    Keith1 said:

Presumably related to Sanj's comments above, there is a recent sticky topic on the BT YouView forum asking people experiencing a pink or blank screen on start up to complete a short survey. Presumably if they are gathering data they have had a number of similar reports and are looking for a pattern to assist tracking down a bug or issue.

yeah - that definitely smells of a dodgey software update!
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    Keith1 said:

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue Steven. This is something we are investigating. As Keith mentioned, we are expanding our efforts to get further information for customers on this issue, while we try to identify the root cause and ultimately look for a permanent resolution. 

Some customers have been able to resolve the issue (as a short term resolution) by changing their HDMI Display Setting to 720p via a SCART lead connection. I appreciate you don't have a SCART lead to hand but you can always try connecting the box to another HDTV via HDMI which has also worked in the past for some customers.

If that is possible, give it a try and if you retain your picture via HDMI, change the resolution in Settings > TV Signal & Quality > HDMI Display Setting. Make sure you select Keep Changes if you are offered this option. Then try re-connecting the YouView box (via HDMI) back to the original HDTV.

If you're unable to do this, we'd recommend seeing if you can obtain a SCART lead to try and get a picture.

We'd also find it very helpful if you could answer our investigation questions for this issue. I will post a separate post with a list of questions, so if anyone else is experiencing this issue they can also answer them. 
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi there,

We have received a few reports from customers experiencing a blank screen after seeing the Humax loading screen when using a HDMI cable.

What we know so far

Currently we are still investigating this issue and some customers have been successful in applying a short term workaround to their box:

Changing the resolution to 720p 

• Turn the box off and disconnect the HDMI Cable from the box.
    • Connect a SCART lead from the YouView box to the TV and turn the box on. This should allow you to successfully receive a picture.
    • Once the box has fully loaded, go to Settings > TV Signal & Quality > HDMI Display Setting and change the resolution to 720p. Make sure you select Keep Changes if you are offered this option.
    • Exit settings and turn off the box. Disconnect the SCART lead and reconnect your HDMI cable from the YouView box to the TV.
    • Turn box back on.

What's next

We continue to investigate this issue and we could use your help. Please answer the following questions and we'll feed it back to our tech teams.

If you have a BT YouView box please fill in their questionnaire here: BT Blank screen Questionnaire

If you have a Retail Humax YouView box please answer the questions below:
    1. When did you first experience this issue?
    2. Have you tried to connect your YouView box to your TV using an alternative HDMI port on the back of your TV?
    3. Have you tried to connect your YouView box to your TV using an alternative HDMI cable?
    4. How is your HDMI cable connected to your YouView box to your TV? (Direct connection or via a HDMI switch)
    5. Has anything changed recently (prior to this happening) for example, have you purchased a new TV? If yes, please let us know what has changed in your home set up recently.
    6. Have you been able to receive a picture from your YouView box to your TV via a HDMI cable previously? If so, when the problem started to occur were there any changes to the resolution? (i.e. 1080p, 1080i and 720p)
    7. What is the Make/Model of the TV that you are using? e.g Sharp LC32SH130K
    8. Have you tried the '720p workaround' mentioned above? if so, did this work?
    9. Have you tried to connect another device (i.e. a DVD player or a games console) to your TV via a HDMI cable? If so, have you experienced a similar problem or do other devices seem to be working fine?
    10. What is the Make/Model of your YouView box? If possible (Press the YouView button then go to Settings > System Information > Device Management) If you cannot access the settings you can find this information on the back or bottom of your YouView box on a sticker under model. 
    11. If possible, please tell us what software versions you are using (Press the YouView button then go to Settings > System Information > Software Versions)
    Thank you for your patience while we investigate this issue. If we have any further updates we will post here.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for their feedback so far on their experience with this issue (a blank screen following the Humax start up screen via HDMI).

We have passed all of this feedback onto Humax, and still recommend the following steps if you encounter this problem -

• Connect a SCART lead from the YouView box to the TV and turn the box on. This should allow you to successfully receive a picture.
    • Once the box has fully loaded, go to Settings > TV Signal & Quality > HDMI Display Setting and change the resolution to 720p. Make sure you select Keep Changes if you are offered this option.
    • Exit settings and turn off the box. Disconnect the SCART lead and reconnect your HDMI cable from the YouView box to the TV.
    • Turn box back on.
    If the steps do not work for you and you are still having issues with your box, we recommend contacting Humax if the box was purchased at retail, or contacting your service provider if the box was received directly from them.

Contact information for Humax and associated service providers can be found here.
  • Nicholas BernierNicholas Bernier Member Posts: 4
    edited 25 September 2015, 3:34PM
    Sanj said:

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for their feedback so far on their experience with this issue (a blank screen following the Humax start up screen via HDMI).

We have passed all of this feedback onto Humax, and still recommend the following steps if you encounter this problem -

• Once the box has fully loaded, go to Settings > TV Signal & Quality > HDMI Display Setting and change the resolution to 720p. Make sure you select Keep Changes if you are offered this option.
    • Turn box back on.
    If the steps do not work for you and you are still having issues with your box, we recommend contacting Humax if the box was purchased at retail, or contacting your service provider if the box was received directly from them.

Contact information for Humax and associated service providers can be found here.
    Sanji,
    I am now suffering this problem and the change to 720 didn't fix it.   Before complete failure of the hdmi link I got a full pink screen instead of the picture.  I understand this is not unusual.  Have done a  Maintenance Reset - still no joy.  All other obvious things tried. Have completed your questionnaire.  Another new box?  Regards,  Nick
  • Martin IMartin I Member Posts: 1
    edited 9 March 2016, 12:24PM
    I have what I believe to be a similar (if not the same) problem so presume I should post it here rather than start a new thread.

I have a Humax Youview DTR1010 connected to a Sony KDL 46NX723. It had worked fine for months up until yesterday, when all I got was the Humax startup screen, then nothing; though the front panel of the Humax implied that it was working okay. The fact that the startup screen is displayed made me think that the cable is okay.

Finding this thread this morning I tried a Scart connection - I now have an picture and can view recordings etc. I've now tried all the advice I could find above, but without HDMI success.
    • I checked for software updates for both devices - none needed, and none recently applied (so what changed?)
    • Soft reset - no joy
    • Youview set to 720p - no joy
    • Maintenance Mode reset 4 - still just the same
    Any other suggestions, or do I go back to my retailer?
    thanks, Martin