IP Channels on YouView

PriyaPriya Member Posts: 1
edited 7 August 2017, 12:20AM in Archived Posts
1. YouView provides a core set of great broadcast and IP-delivered services, including 70 broadcast TV channels, on demand and catch up services from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five, STV, NOW TV and more. These services are available on all YouView boxes, no matter where you get it from.

2. Dependent on your internet service provider, you may also receive content services directly from your ISP in addition to those provided by YouView. For example if you have BT Broadband you should be able to receive BT's TV service, called BT Vision, and if you have TalkTalk Broadband you should be able to receive TalkTalk TV.

3. YouView is working with ISPs and content providers to allow them to make available additional IP delivered TV channels on YouView boxes. The first such services will be available to TalkTalk customers who have a YouView box provided directly by TalkTalk - initially these services will only be accessible via the Talk Talk TV service.

4. Later in 2013, we aim allow IP delivered TV channels to be made available via any YouView box on either BT or TalkTalk's broadband network - the exact set of channels will depend on whether you are a BT or TalkTalk broadband customer. We also aim to make these channels accessible from the main YouView UI, integrated in the program guide alongside the existing TV channels.

Comments

• MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    number 2 is very misleading as to have the extra ip channels on talktalk you need their tv package and not just standard broadband

number 4 does this mean that existing ip channels wont be available to other broadband providers other than bt talktalk?

please correct me if this is very wrong.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM
    Priya,

Thanks for the official notification. However, I must also point out that as your wording stands point 2 is a little misleading. From what we can gather, TT+ customers can only recieve additional linear IPTV channels if they are using the TT (Huawei) branded box (available from TT) and not the Humax box (available from retailers).

Point 4, however is an interesting development / clarification and I for one will look forward to what maybe is on offer. Although, I won't hold out too much hope of getting just the channels I want and none of the 'tat' stuff that passes for entertainment these days.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    "4. Later in 2013, we aim allow IP delivered TV channels to be made available via any YouView box on either BT or TalkTalk's broadband network - the exact set of channels will depend on whether you are a BT or TalkTalk broadband customer. We also aim to make these channels accessible from the main YouView UI, integrated in the program guide alongside the existing TV channels."

Sorry, do you really mean that only BT and TalkTalk customers will get these channels? So as a Virgin Media customer even if a content provider made an IPTV channel available I'd have to move broadband provider to get it?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Martin wrote;
    4. -
    Sorry, do you really mean that only BT and TalkTalk customers will get these channels? So as a Virgin Media customer even if a content provider made an IPTV channel available I'd have to move broadband provider to get it?

Yes, Martin. And these IP live streamed channels will be allocated an EPG number. Which will enable the full functionality of normal broadcast channels. ie recordable.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Hi. Just to clear up any confusion over point 2) - we do mean catch up TV and on-demand, not linear IP channels. IP channels are covered by points 3 and 4.

All YouView boxes are capable of loading the BT and TalkTalk players and playing On-Demand content, if you're subscribed to BT or TalkTalk (and you're on a TV compatible subscription).

Points 3) and 4) refer to IP linear channels, first on boxes from TalkTalk, and then supported on other boxes including Humax retail boxes.

Madcotto, Martin, to answer your questions about other ISPs - we are currently working with BT and TalkTalk to deliver IP channels using multicast technology. As soon as there's more information available about the future roadmap for IP channels, we'll let you know.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi Piers

That's fine, I'm currently having a bit of an issue with Virgin Media so I was just looking for that teeny bit of extra info so I could decide whether I walk away and move to BT.

I think I this thread has helped decide that for me, so thanks. :-)
  • Josh1Josh1 Member Posts: 17
    edited 26 July 2013, 2:36PM
    So, just to clarify (as I'm afraid I found Priya's post a little unclear), YouView boxes cannot and will not support IPTV channels offered by ConnectTV, The Space, and other IPTV broadcasters on the Freeview platform (even though these are ISP-independent on other Freeview HD+ boxes)?

Many thanks in advance for answering.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 September 2012, 2:28PM
    "IP linear channels", does this mean the availability of channels like the arts channel "the space"?
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM
    The Space is a 'On Demand' channel and not a linear channel. It does not have scheduled programme times. So I'll never get to use the phrase, 'Quick, put the kettle on, that programme on Andy Goldsworthy sculpture starts in 10.'
    IP linear channels would be those that have a definite programme times, delivered down your telephone line rather than over the airwaves.
    edited 26 September 2012, 3:11PM

The Space is a 'On Demand' channel and not a linear channel. It does not have scheduled programme times. So I'll never get to use the phrase, 'Quick, put the kettle on, that programme on Andy Goldsworthy sculpture starts in 10.'
    IP linear channels would be those that have a definite programme times, delivered down your telephone line rather than over the airwaves.

ha ha...cheers lloydoflondon, good explanation ;)
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Visionman suggests it will be possible to record linear IPTV channels. Call me cynical but I'm, well, cynical.

Do you have a link to prove me wrong?
    @al

No, I don't. So I can see why your cynical. So I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
  • stuart52golfstuart52golf Member Posts: 205
    edited 26 September 2012, 6:00PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi. Just to clear up any confusion over point 2) - we do mean catch up TV and on-demand, not linear IP channels. IP channels are covered by points 3 and 4.

All YouView boxes are capable of loading the BT and TalkTalk players and playing On-Demand content, if you're subscribed to BT or TalkTalk (and you're on a TV compatible subscription).

Points 3) and 4) refer to IP linear channels, first on boxes from TalkTalk, and then supported on other boxes including Humax retail boxes.

Madcotto, Martin, to answer your questions about other ISPs - we are currently working with BT and TalkTalk to deliver IP channels using multicast technology. As soon as there's more information available about the future roadmap for IP channels, we'll let you know.

Piers, I totally disagree with you on this point.
    "All YouView boxes are capable of loading the BT and TalkTalk players and playing On-Demand content, if you're subscribed to BT or TalkTalk (and you're on a TV compatible subscription)"

You cannot get TalkTalk Boosts added to your BB package if you do not have a TT supplied box. I have one now as I thought like many others, I could just add boosts to my monthly bill, you cant. So I have a box from TT, the Hughie!!
    I have subscibed to SKY Sports, it works on the TT supplied box, not on the HUmax.
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    Must admit I'm confused.

It seems to me from point 4 that Youview is really only a service one should consider seriously if you're with BT or Talk Talk for your broadband.

Let me ask myself a question.

Which broadband providers are part of the Youview entity?

Ah, surprise surprise that would be BT and Talk Talk.

So now we know which of the Youview stakeholders are in the Driving seats of the Youview project.

edited 26 September 2012, 6:17PM
    petkol said:

Must admit I'm confused.

It seems to me from point 4 that Youview is really only a service one should consider seriously if you're with BT or Talk Talk for your broadband.

Let me ask myself a question.

Which broadband providers are part of the Youview entity?

Ah, surprise surprise that would be BT and Talk Talk.

So now we know which of the Youview stakeholders are in the Driving seats of the Youview project.

Hi Petkol, and remember, with TalkTalk, you have to take their box and a plus contract. I have to say though, since having the TT Box and TV package you get access to a chatback forum, which is full of TT employees offering help and advice, I am slowly changing my opinion on TT service which every one knows has always been useless.
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    Hi stuart52golf, good to hear something positive about TT.

With regard to having to have the TT box for the TT service, I think I may have commented previously on the fragmentation in the Youview offering. Youview will mean different things to different suppliers. Prospective customers will be faced with confusion if they do the research, and possible regret if they don't.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi Stuart. As I mentioned you can can't get linear IP channels with a Humax box yet - that's requires a Talk Talk supplied box for now. I've just checked the TalkTalk portal is working on a standard TalkTalk TV Broadband line, with a Humax retail box and watched a few minutes of several on-demand shows. I hope this helps.
    edited 26 September 2012, 6:46PM
    Piers2 said:

Yes I know Piers, I have a Humax and Huawei, but I just think it is misleading for punters who go and buy the Humax and think they can then get additional tv services from their network provider, maybe they can from BT, but you cannot from TT.
    have a nice evening.
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    all this confusion on this makes it seem like youview wasent developed as a free platform but as a sales point for select broadband providers. this may benefit the providers but not the consumers who are choosing a open and free platform which i was led to beleave it was.

slowly and slowly i start to feel trapped by content providers/broadcasters on this system
    edited 26 September 2012, 7:08PM
    Piers2 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but are the Talk Talk boosts that stuart52golf mentioned, a linear ip channel? Hence the reason why he can't yet get them on a Humax Youview box?
    edited 26 September 2012, 7:08PM
    petkol said:

Hi stuart52golf, good to hear something positive about TT.

With regard to having to have the TT box for the TT service, I think I may have commented previously on the fragmentation in the Youview offering. Youview will mean different things to different suppliers. Prospective customers will be faced with confusion if they do the research, and possible regret if they don't.

Hi Petkol, you summed it all up, CONFUSION!!!!
    Beer time for me, have a nice evening.
    My personal opinion (though it is a subjective matter) -

Is that YouView is Youview, across all platforms.

It's just that if your on BT BB you'll get full access to the BT Vision on demand services. And if your on TT BB, via the TT Player, they won't offer a retail YV user access to any on demand at all.

I see the above not as a YouView problem, but merely as a commercial move by TalkTalk to obtain more money. Or am I off-base with that?
  • KeyKey Member Posts: 14
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Point 4 is a major revelation. As madcotto above says this isn't an open free platform but a sales point for selected broadband providers namely BT and Talktalk.

There are 6 major Broadband providers in the UK. SKy has its satellite TV service, Virgin has it's Cable service. Talktalk and BT now have youview service. That leaves Orange, O2 and all the smaller broadband providers out it the cold with no TV service.

We were led to believe that Youview was an open system, a progression on Freeview HD, but it appears we have been led up the garden path.

We are heading to a point were you will have to change your broadband, telephone and TV service to a limited selection of 4 providers. No more mixing and matching services unless you want to pay a premium.
    edited 26 September 2012, 7:31PM
    Key said:

Point 4 is a major revelation. As madcotto above says this isn't an open free platform but a sales point for selected broadband providers namely BT and Talktalk.

There are 6 major Broadband providers in the UK. SKy has its satellite TV service, Virgin has it's Cable service. Talktalk and BT now have youview service. That leaves Orange, O2 and all the smaller broadband providers out it the cold with no TV service.

We were led to believe that Youview was an open system, a progression on Freeview HD, but it appears we have been led up the garden path.

We are heading to a point were you will have to change your broadband, telephone and TV service to a limited selection of 4 providers. No more mixing and matching services unless you want to pay a premium.

thank you sir this was my point, and i beleave should have a official statement on but i guarantee they wont or if do will be the kind of spin we had here.
  • Frank1Frank1 Member Posts: 7
    edited 26 September 2012, 7:48PM
    Point 4 would tell I've wasted my money as I'm on virgin.
  • cj136ukcj136uk Member Posts: 111
    edited 2 August 2013, 3:44PM
    can you confirm STV player is only available in in the STV regions
    @James B

Yes it is.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 1:49AM
    Key said:

Nothing stops Orange, O2 and all the smaller broadband providers working with YouView to offer content to their customers.
  • cj136ukcj136uk Member Posts: 111
    edited 2 August 2013, 3:44PM
    well youview's statement above is incorrect. I don't know if it isn't as I get it here in Scotland
    edited 26 September 2012, 8:02PM
    Key said:

errr mb price or even their own system they have in development which hasent been announced