Failed recordings again !!!

Ian2Ian2 Member Posts: 45
edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM in Archived Posts
I have recently had recording failures !!!

Monday & Tuesday Eastenders (24th & 25th Sept) just give "failed recording", with no reason why ????

Also failed last Thursdays Good Cop, but that was cancelled, so not too worried there.

This is not very good, failing to to do the main thing a recorder should do....record programmes. If I had bought this box my wife would certainly made me return it for a refund as missing Eastenders makes this box a no go.

My trusty 11 year old TiVo recorded Eastenders fine, along with my Humax FreeSat box.

Comments

• sarumbear1sarumbear1 Member Posts: 315
    edited 5 April 2017, 1:02PM
    YouView, what is the reason for these, unexplained failed recordings?
  • Ian2Ian2 Member Posts: 45
    edited 27 September 2012, 3:05PM
    My TiVo, from year 2000, had a really useful recording history with things like, "deleted", "conflict", "duplicate", "power fail", "maxrecordings" so you can work out why an expected recording did not take place.

Deleted - Someone deleted the programme.
    conflict - not recorded as a higher priority recording took place (only single tuner).
    duplicate - Programme has already been recorded (as part of a season)
    power fail - obvious
    maxrecordings - you set set to say keep 5 and when it recorded the 6th it deleted the first one.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Member Posts: 275
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Ian, thanks for posting. We’re looking into your query and will get back to you with a response as soon as possible.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Member Posts: 275
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Ian. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/kb/why...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on.
    edited 28 September 2012, 10:02AM
    No, none of those reasons. The failed recordings were Eastenders on BBC HD. No other recordings scheduled at the same time either.

Generally the YouView box records fine, it is just not 100%.

I have had other failed recordings, again usually HD, both BBC and ITV HD. Some of these were only partial recordings ie 8 minutes of a 2 hours 30 minute programme. I have screen photos, of partial records but these where from June time, but I suspect software has changed since then, so might not be relevant now.

Hmmmph. Only recorded 8 minutes of 2 1/2 hours.

Where is my Eastenders.....
    edited 28 September 2012, 10:34AM
    In my experience the failed recording were caused with none of the reasons stated in the FAQ either.
  • Adrian2Adrian2 Member Posts: 17
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi

I have had my Youview box for about a month and am getting many failed recordings:

Eastenders Tomorrow BBC ONE FAILED
    Eastenders Today BBC ONE FAILED
    Eastenders Today BBC ONE WATCHED
    Forgetting Sarah M'ShallTue, 2 Oct ITV2 FAILED
    Eastenders Tue, 2 Oct BBC ONE FAILED
    Eastenders Tue, 2 Oct BBC ONE Part watched
    Eastenders Mon, 1 Oct BBC ONE Part watched
    Eastenders Mon, 1 Oct BBC ONE FAILED
    The Brave One SUN, 30 Sep Channel4 Failed
    Downton Abbey SUN, 30 Sep ITV1 NOT WATCHED
    Downton Abbey SUN, 30 Sep ITV1 FAILED
    Red Dwarf SUN, 30 Sep Dave FAILED

I don't think it makes sense, for example how can it fail to record something in the future?

Reviewing the FAQ:

There could be a number of reasons for this:

1) Your YouView box might have been turned off completely when the programme was supposed to record. It will record in stand-by mode, but will not if turned off completely.

THE BOX WAS EITHER ON STANDBY (ORANGE) OR FULLY ON (BLUE) DURING ALL THE RECORDING ATTEMPTS.

2) Restarting your YouView box during a recording window, will cause the recordings to fail, as would a power failure.

WE HAVE HAD NO POWER FAILURES AND HAVE NOT RESTARTED THE BOX.

3) Your digital signal may have disappeared, or become too weak while the programme was on, check the aerial connection from the wall to your YouView box.

DOUBTFUL, THE SIGNAL APPEARS STRONG AND WE HAVE 114 CHANNELS. HD WORKS FINE.

4) The broadcaster might have altered the programme schedule.

UNLIKELY CONSIDERING THE VOLUME OF FAILURES. 75% +

5) You might have re-tuned your YouView box while the programme was trying to record.

WE DIDN'T.

6) The hard drive in your YouView box could have run out of space. Check the device Management Setting to ensure Auto delete recordings is set to ON. To do this, go to Settings > Device Management > Auto-delete Recordings. You can also manually delete recordings in MyView > Recordings. Just select the recording and press DEL button on your remote control.

98% FREE SPACE

Is there any additional diagnostic tools I can access to help reveal the root cause of failures?

Thanks

A
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 4 October 2012, 9:19PM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

I have had my Youview box for about a month and am getting many failed recordings:

I don't think it makes sense, for example how can it fail to record something in the future?

Reviewing the FAQ:

1) Your YouView box might have been turned off completely when the programme was supposed to record. It will record in stand-by mode, but will not if turned off completely.

THE BOX WAS EITHER ON STANDBY (ORANGE) OR FULLY ON (BLUE) DURING ALL THE RECORDING ATTEMPTS.

2) Restarting your YouView box during a recording window, will cause the recordings to fail, as would a power failure.

3) Your digital signal may have disappeared, or become too weak while the programme was on, check the aerial connection from the wall to your YouView box.

5) You might have re-tuned your YouView box while the programme was trying to record.

WE DIDN'T.

6) The hard drive in your YouView box could have run out of space. Check the device Management Setting to ensure Auto delete recordings is set to ON. To do this, go to Settings > Device Management > Auto-delete Recordings. You can also manually delete recordings in MyView > Recordings. Just select the recording and press DEL button on your remote control.

98% FREE SPACE

Is there any additional diagnostic tools I can access to help reveal the root cause of failures?

Thanks

A

is your eco mode set to high or low?
    edited 4 October 2012, 9:21PM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

Reviewing the FAQ:

WE DIDN'T.

98% FREE SPACE

Thanks

A

High
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 4 October 2012, 9:40PM
    I have also had several instances of failed recordings recently, again, mostly HD BBC stuff. I have had my Youview Box for months, during the trial and after, but it has suddenly started after ages of virtually no problems, seemingly as others have experienced them. HD BBC2 on Tuesday 'Great British Bake Off' failed. I was grateful of the quick availability on demand of that one, and it was no problem. In previous months there was literally one or two - I assumed that it was a recording collision that it couldn't resolve, but I feel it is suddenly more common now, and not for that reason. Like the previous post, none of the items on the FAQ apply.
    edited 4 October 2012, 9:43PM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

Reviewing the FAQ:

WE DIDN'T.

98% FREE SPACE

Thanks

A

It might be that by the time the box comes out of standby in high eco mode the programmes has started and missed its coding on epg hence the some of your fails. Trying setting the eco to low.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29PM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

Reviewing the FAQ:

WE DIDN'T.

98% FREE SPACE

Thanks

A

I would be quite surprised if it turned out the high eco mode was the cause of the problem. I have my box on high eco mode and it is so far very very reliable and I have had no failed recordings or vanishing channels etc - if anything since some of the smaller bugs tend to be cleared by power cycling the box I would expect having it in high eco mode may mask slight issues since it is effectively power cycled at least twice a day. Nevertheless it may be worth trying running in a different eco mode to see what effect it has if any.
    edited 11 October 2012, 11:13AM
    If the problem has started to increase, it is probably a downloaded update that has a bug.

To those affected please post these this data from System Information > Software Versions:

Device: mine is DTRT1000
    Manufacturer software: 7.10.0
    Component software: 1.0.16
    Platform configuration: 230
    ISP Configuration: 1

FAO YOUVIEW REP: What is your policy in regards to bugs? Do you sit on them internally, or talk openly about what you are doing? Hopefully the latter as it builds a stronger online community :)
    edited 4 October 2012, 9:52PM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

Reviewing the FAQ:

WE DIDN'T.

98% FREE SPACE

Thanks

A

Does it go into eco mode when you click Standby, or will it also go into Standby by detecting inactivity?
    edited 4 October 2012, 9:52PM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

Reviewing the FAQ:

WE DIDN'T.

98% FREE SPACE

Thanks

A

i.e. Shall I just leave it 'on' and not in 'Standby' for a week to see if that makes a difference? Thanks for input by the way?
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29PM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

Reviewing the FAQ:

WE DIDN'T.

98% FREE SPACE

Thanks

A

In the last software update YouView (temporarily) removed an option to never go into standby due to inactivity. As such I think now if you leave the box inactive but on then at most after 4 hours it will go into standby. Quite what standby means then depends on the eco mode selected, if set to low eco mode then it does not really turn off and largely stays running consuming almost full power. Equally if one puts it into standby via the off button on the remote then it actually really stays on for about 5 minutes before going almost full off if in high eco mode.
    edited 11 October 2012, 11:14AM
    Adrian2 said:

Hi

Reviewing the FAQ:

WE DIDN'T.

98% FREE SPACE

Thanks

A

Interesting. I will set mine to Low and report back on progress! Thanks.
    edited 11 October 2012, 11:14AM
    Matt F said:

I have also had several instances of failed recordings recently, again, mostly HD BBC stuff. I have had my Youview Box for months, during the trial and after, but it has suddenly started after ages of virtually no problems, seemingly as others have experienced them. HD BBC2 on Tuesday 'Great British Bake Off' failed. I was grateful of the quick availability on demand of that one, and it was no problem. In previous months there was literally one or two - I assumed that it was a recording collision that it couldn't resolve, but I feel it is suddenly more common now, and not for that reason. Like the previous post, none of the items on the FAQ apply.

Matt F - see comments above. Trying setting your Ecomode to Low and report back :)
    Have changed ECO Mode to Low and got another failure today...
    edited 6 October 2012, 12:49AM
    Matt F said:

Mine is already on low eco mode-has been for couple months since other half started getting annoyed wit how long it took to come on! Pretty sure my software is as stated below. I have the humax, on the latest firmware.
  • bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    I had my first failed recording last week since the start of the trial - an episode of Eggheads.
    I'm wondering if it is bad sectors on the hard drive or something. Might take mine back to John Lewis, but would prefer not.
    edited 8 October 2012, 3:11PM
    Given up for the meantine on my YouView box as well as missing complete recordings I am getting beginnings and endings missing of those it does record.

Luckily my Humax Freesat and my 11 year old TiVo box alway records and has beginnings and endings.

Such a shame.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi Ian

On the clipped recordings, I just posted this in another thread:

YouView uses Accurate Record which uses data from the broadcaster to start and end the recordings on time. This helps ensure that if a show is delayed - for example by a breaking newsflash - you still get the whole programme.

In addition the EPG is updated if shows move around due to a late schedule change. This means recordings and series links still get your show for you.

These are top features that Virgin Media's TiVo customers lack on a box they both pay for installation of AND a £5 monthly fee. But they do rely on broadcasters sending the right data.

If you have a lot of clipped recordings on the same channel I'd suggest it's worth raising this with the broadcaster.

That said, I'd also like the option to add a little bit of padding at the top and tail of recordings.
    edited 8 October 2012, 3:29PM
    >>If you have a lot of clipped recordings on the same channel I'd suggest it's worth
    >>raising this with the broadcaster.

Been round this loop before with the UK TiVo years ago (2003-4), especially with BBC2, I seem to remember. Bascially got no where, broadcasters insist they are correct but we still get clipped programmes.

So a programmer, Stuart Anderton, in 2003/4 wrote a script that automatically tries to start a recording early and tries to add padding at the end if no other recording is in progress. TiVo only had single channel recording. Works wonderfully and 9 years later is still running wonderfully on my TiVo.

Mind you my Humax Freesat seems to always get the complete programme, but I think that is because I have enabled padding in its setup menu. Can't remember, set it up January 2011 and had no cause to fiddle with it since then (apart from hacked firmware).
    edited 8 October 2012, 3:36PM
    "YouView uses Accurate Record"

Does it? Can YouView verify this?

A quick search for "Accurate Recording" brings an old BBC R&D page and some forum posts mentioning anecdotal evidence of its existence. Are we sure that Accurate Record is currently used by all broadcasters?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...
    edited 8 October 2012, 3:44PM
    If I have got it right adding padding disables the Accurate record data from the broadcaster, which means many of the programmes that I recorded completly from ITV & BBC may have had the ends cut off as there has been instances ( particularly is or follows live programme like X factor) of the programming running over 5 minuites late. However in the present mode the youview box has recorded these programme perfectly, starts at the very begining of programme ( no fast forward needed) and stop it at the end, perfect.
    The one probem channel I do have is with channel 5 as this channel dose not appear to have accurate record data.
    Clipped recordings? At least they aren't failing!!
    edited 8 October 2012, 7:41PM
    My stint of fails seems to have got much better. It was never too much of an issue when it did happen as the box seemed to sense that a recording had failed and grabbed a new version on the repeat. The one time we were eager to watch a failed programme before a repeat was grabbed, we were able within minutes of the original showing to watch it on the catchup, and in HD/HQ too. So not a problem for us. Given that it seemed to get more frequent, I wonder if the cause came with the most recent update, and was to do with how how the box resolves conflicts. Either that or as stated problematic info from the broadcaster. If this is the case either could mean it is a temporary problem I guess.
    edited 19 October 2012, 8:48AM
    Has some more Eastenders failed again....though did record Red Dwarf with beginnings and endings.

Not good. If my wife had had her way this box would have been straight back to shop as missing Eastenders is not allowed.