Failed recordings again !!!

Comments

• Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 21 October 2012, 6:39PM
    Keith1 said:

On a different topic someone else also asked why no YouView response was being given. The response given there broadly confirmed YouView do see all posts but only respond when they have something definitive to say/add and that they see the forum as more of a place for customer discussion. For specific or individual responses they then recommend direct contact via phone or the support email form.

There is a topic listing the different resources and options available for obtaining support in case that is of any use.

Thanks Keith, you often say what I would like to say, but a million times more eloquently :-)
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:29PM
    Keith1 said:

On a different topic someone else also asked why no YouView response was being given. The response given there broadly confirmed YouView do see all posts but only respond when they have something definitive to say/add and that they see the forum as more of a place for customer discussion. For specific or individual responses they then recommend direct contact via phone or the support email form.

There is a topic listing the different resources and options available for obtaining support in case that is of any use.

No problem :)
  • JustJust Member Posts: 15
    edited 23 October 2012, 11:36AM
    More failed recordings - Homeland this time on 4HD Sunday - what is the point of a PVR that doesn't record what it's told to???
  • Adrian2Adrian2 Member Posts: 17
    edited 23 October 2012, 11:41AM
    Would be good if there was some detailed reason code available.
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Member Posts: 315
    edited 23 October 2012, 11:53AM
    I started getting corrupted recordings as well as failed recordings.

Almost 1 in 3 recordings have a corruption within them. It is displayed as blocking for a few seconds. When the blocking stops you find the video jumped in time anywhere from +10 seconds to a few minutes.

Very annoying that YV is not a dependable PVR.
    edited 23 October 2012, 11:56AM
    I've not seen that.

I'd take it back, it might be the hard drive.
    edited 23 October 2012, 12:00PM
    I had this corruption issue from the early days of trialing the box, but it wasn't happening as often as now. When I reported at the time the consensus was it is to do with my signal. Having 60-70 signal strength and 100 quality I have objected that my signal is bad. Some then said I may have too high a signal. Never heard anything about it from YV then.
  • Ian2Ian2 Member Posts: 45
    edited 23 October 2012, 12:01PM
    Shame there is no recording history. I did post a suggestion of recording history. TiVo 12 years ago had this, and was invaluable to find out why something didn't record with items like "recorded", "clash", "user cancelled", "no longer in guide" etc.

When working on later versions of TiVo software this log was available to the software developers (uploaded over 56k modem, remember them) so they could investigate. Shame YouView is not doing this with their boxes.
    edited 23 October 2012, 12:03PM
    Requirements of new products rarely capture anything to assist support diagnostics, and development houses don't have any incentive to come up with this stuff of their own back.
    edited 23 October 2012, 12:06PM
    It seems YV wanted to design a box from a clean sheet of paper. Good approach but if you fail to use the experience of what other manufacturers had before you, its bound to fail.

Many complaints on this forum is to do with YV not offering what the industry had already agreed on as standard features.
  • mike fiddlermike fiddler Member Posts: 75
    edited 24 September 2015, 7:24AM
    So last night Vampire Diaries on ITV2 failed for the third week in a row. I checked just before it started that ITV2 was available, which it was...but no recording.

It doesnt even show as a Failed Recording, just nothing....

I have to tell my wife when she gets home tonight...not looking forward to that conversation
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Hi Mike

Did the recording show in your planned recordings? Does next week's?

As I have experienced, sometimes broadcasters foul up on the series link info so that episodes aren't linked and therefore don't get picked up.
  • rogerbd69rogerbd69 Member Posts: 2
    edited 23 November 2012, 5:50AM
    I keep having failed recordings too? I have just discovered over the last few weeks that when this happens, lots of channels have also disappeared. Please can someone answer why the channels keep dropping, for instance last night all the HD channels had gone plus others. From 113 channels down to only 77. Once i retune they all come back. This is about the 3rd or 4th time though. Signal strength is almost full. Series links all gone too until i retune the box. Not great for recording though as on average once a week i loose everything. Any help on this issue would be great.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Roger - The lost channels problem is discussed on this topic. The automatic software update that came out on 21/11/2012 contains a fix for this. Once you have that update you then need to perform a manual retune which should then lock in the correct channel information.
  • rogerbd69rogerbd69 Member Posts: 2
    edited 23 November 2012, 5:16PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Roger - The lost channels problem is discussed on this topic. The automatic software update that came out on 21/11/2012 contains a fix for this. Once you have that update you then need to perform a manual retune which should then lock in the correct channel information.

Thank you for the information, as a BT customer you would think they should have told us that!!
  • Adrian Davey1Adrian Davey1 Member Posts: 9
    edited 6 December 2012, 8:56AM

So last night Vampire Diaries on ITV2 failed for the third week in a row. I checked just before it started that ITV2 was available, which it was...but no recording.

It doesnt even show as a Failed Recording, just nothing....

I have to tell my wife when she gets home tonight...not looking forward to that conversation

Are you still having problems recording Vampire Diaries on ITV2? I know I am (with associated ear ache from my wife as well).
  • mark francismark francis Member Posts: 3
    edited 9 December 2012, 9:13AM
    Had 6 faied recordings yesterday all on bbc channels at different times! Come on youview please fix this bug and please fix the missing sound on recordings for us people that use up round sound amps
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 9 December 2012, 10:40AM
    Just had a look at the FAQ and it does not include a very common and obvious cause of recording failure on many DTT (Freeview and Youview) recorders which is having duplicate channels tuned in from more than one transmitter which can confuse them.

The most useful fix would be to allow manual tuning of the MUXes or in keeping with keeping it user-friendly to offer a list of detected local transmitters for the user to choose one from.
    edited 24 December 2012, 12:21PM
    Thank goodness I am not using YouView as my main recording box !!. My 12 year old TiVo managed a successful recording (with padding) as well as my Humax FreeSat box.

• Paul FrielPaul Friel Member Posts: 6
    edited 25 December 2012, 9:06PM
    Just got the same problem,after trying to watch what I set to record last night Christmas eve,all 4 programs I set to record ,says Failed at the right hand side.
    Now when I click to record anything live it says.(sorry, youview can't record this)
    Only got this youview set 1 month ago.Not a good start.
    You should not have to turn off the power to get it working,I got this set to record what I will not be in to watch.Sort this problem out Youview,its eighter a fauly set or the firmware needs sorted.
  • Andrew Peter MarlowAndrew Peter Marlow Member Posts: 16
    edited 26 December 2012, 11:03PM
    I too am getting the occasional failed recording.I reckon it happens about 10% of the time. It seems to happen more for HD recordings. If a programme is broadcast in both forms then I set up two recordings in case one fails. This has saved me a few times.
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 5:24PM
    i set something to record while I was away over xmas - checked it tonight and both recordings had failed, one on 22nd December and other on 24th December,

This was on my retail youview box, so will also check my bt youview box and see if that had the same problems.

Luckily I have a humax freesat box as a backup, which performed the recordings fine.

With so many people having issues with recordings failing it has to be a youview software problem

Also noticed after setting a recording tonight it wouldn't let me change channel from within the guide, i had to exit it before was able to change.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Are so many people having issues with failed recordings? The small number and spread of posts in this thread suggests otherwise. The only time I have seen a "failed" recording is when a programme has been rescheduled at short notice which does not really count.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    gomez said:

Are so many people having issues with failed recordings? The small number and spread of posts in this thread suggests otherwise. The only time I have seen a "failed" recording is when a programme has been rescheduled at short notice which does not really count.

Gomez, you are probably lucky enough never to have seen 'Boot Fail - Invalid Signature'. And indeed, it would be woeful for you if you had to experience every YouView problem ever before it could be counted as real.

Fortunately, though, this is not the case.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 3 January 2013, 10:15AM
    gomez said:

You are projecting.
    edited 3 January 2013, 10:43AM
    Yes Gomez, I am also seeing a lot of failed recordings. It is possible that not everyone posts as their experience is similar to what few people pots here.
    edited 3 January 2013, 10:58AM
    Given up posting YouView failed recordings as almost to be expected now !!

Will allow one failed recording Friday 28th as we had a power cut.....
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 4:48PM
    I only use the box as a backup when there is a clash of programs I want to record.
    On the few occasions I have recorded with it, the beginning of the program is missing about 95% of the time.

As stated so many times on this forum by me and others. A recorder that does not record accurately is neither use nor ornament.

I still maintain that the blame for non recording or missing parts of recordings lays at YouViews door. It is up to Youview to sort out their broadcasting partners, if necessary, and/or upgrade their software so that recordings are accurate.

When are YV going to acknowledge these failures and tell their users what and when they are going to address them. They would be better off saving the TV advertising budget until they have a sucessful product to advertise.

The silence of the YV staff about this matter is deafening.
    edited 3 January 2013, 11:09AM
    "The silence of the YV staff about this matter is deafening" and very telling that they have no idea what to do.

I know o few people who worked on YV software that are no longer working for YV. Is it possible that the remaining development team is not capable to make major changes to the software?
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    checked my bt youview box and the recordings I had scheduled worked fine, it was only the retail box that failed - which is odd seeing they are both humax boxes