Failed recordings again !!!

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

SW said:

"The jury is out on this, we need people with another box to schedule parallel recordings, then we can see if both boxes fail or just one of them."

"Which is why is it important for people who have the Humax T1000 and a 2nd non- Humax box to record the same programs on both boxes from the same MUX and see what happens."

I copy from my post earlier in this very thread, which should answer:

Lately, all of my recordings of CSI series on 5.US missed recording about a few minutes of the end. Very annoying as you miss the mystery resolving, so to speak. I have hence been doing parallel recording on my old TopUpTV Thomson PVR. None of the recordings there missed the ends.

I think the jury should deliver the only verdict possible.

@sarumbear

I think the start/stop mechanism of other PVRs isn't the Accurate Recording (sic) that YouView uses, which means that YouView will stop when the broadcaster signals stop, whereas your Thomson PVR (say) will record until the nominal end of the programme, according to the EPG, plus any padding you have set.

So apart from the wisdom, or otherwise, of YV using AR, do we suppose there are issues such that the YV recordings stop before the actual AR 'stop' is sent?
    That has not, as far as I know, been suggested.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 17 January 2013, 6:02PM

SW said:

"The jury is out on this, we need people with another box to schedule parallel recordings, then we can see if both boxes fail or just one of them."

"Which is why is it important for people who have the Humax T1000 and a 2nd non- Humax box to record the same programs on both boxes from the same MUX and see what happens."

I copy from my post earlier in this very thread, which should answer:

Lately, all of my recordings of CSI series on 5.US missed recording about a few minutes of the end. Very annoying as you miss the mystery resolving, so to speak. I have hence been doing parallel recording on my old TopUpTV Thomson PVR. None of the recordings there missed the ends.

I think the jury should deliver the only verdict possible.

You can record something on the PVR that dare not speak its name so that while it has padding it actually bookmarks the start and end of the programme according to the Accurate Recording signals. This is an easy way to check them.
  • David Reynolds1David Reynolds1 Member Posts: 18
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    So far this week 3 recordings of The Chase ITV 5pm started recording at 5.16pm. London area Crystal palace transmitter.
    edited 17 January 2013, 10:16PM

So far this week 3 recordings of The Chase ITV 5pm started recording at 5.16pm. London area Crystal palace transmitter.

Silent Witness BBC1 started at 9.12 on my youview, BUT I also set up my 10yr old Sony HD recorder and that started on time. Therefore cannot be a EPG signalling fault, but MUST be down to Humax YV.
  • bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    I have Eggheads (BBC2 6:00pm) on a series record and I keep my Humax (ex-trial) youview box in Eco High mode.

Having worked successfully for months, tonight the youview box failed to wake up to start the recording. I brought it out of standby at 6:10pm and it took the 1min 45sec it normally takes from Eco High standby, not the shorter time it would take if it was already recording.

Eggheads started to record from the time the box powered up so I lost the first ten minutes.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    Hi bramble - a possible explanation for your recording failure could be a brief loss of power to your YouView box (or it was unplugged and plugged back in) between when you last put it into standby and the time of the scheduled recording.

From comments elsewhere on the forum my understanding is that the box uses a timer/countdown to define when it should next wake up/come on from standby in order to start a recording. That countdown/timer is set to be 15 minutes before the programme is scheduled to allow for last minute EPG changes or slightly early starts. Under normal operation this will work fine. However, there is no battery backup for this internal timer and the time and clock(s) etc within the box are set when the box powers up.

So if one unplugs the box and then plugs it back in (or there is a brief loss of power to the device that has the same effect) but does not then turn it on once these internal clocks and timers may well not remain set/correct as there is no battery backup. As such the box will now not come out of standby as it should and hence the recording will fail. Once you do manually bring the box out of standby it will correctly set the clocks and any timers/countdowns and thus normal operation would resume which would include the box suddenly realising it should be recording and immediately start doing so.

I've seen what could be an example of this behaviour once whilst I was doing some testing with different power states a little while ago.

Of course this is far from conclusive and may not be what happened in your case. Generally YouView boxes will be permanently connected to the mains and the mains power will be very reliable so this should not be a plausible explanation for failed recordings in general but could explain the odd isolated case.
    edited 18 January 2013, 10:32AM
    Was thinking about exchanging my Humax DTR1000 for a freesat box, but on reading other forums, freesat are having similar problems, but the only seem to be with the Foxsat box, made by humax. Surely this points towards a Humax problem, not EPG.
  • bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 18 January 2013, 12:20PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi bramble - a possible explanation for your recording failure could be a brief loss of power to your YouView box (or it was unplugged and plugged back in) between when you last put it into standby and the time of the scheduled recording.

From comments elsewhere on the forum my understanding is that the box uses a timer/countdown to define when it should next wake up/come on from standby in order to start a recording. That countdown/timer is set to be 15 minutes before the programme is scheduled to allow for last minute EPG changes or slightly early starts. Under normal operation this will work fine. However, there is no battery backup for this internal timer and the time and clock(s) etc within the box are set when the box powers up.

So if one unplugs the box and then plugs it back in (or there is a brief loss of power to the device that has the same effect) but does not then turn it on once these internal clocks and timers may well not remain set/correct as there is no battery backup. As such the box will now not come out of standby as it should and hence the recording will fail. Once you do manually bring the box out of standby it will correctly set the clocks and any timers/countdowns and thus normal operation would resume which would include the box suddenly realising it should be recording and immediately start doing so.

I've seen what could be an example of this behaviour once whilst I was doing some testing with different power states a little while ago.

Of course this is far from conclusive and may not be what happened in your case. Generally YouView boxes will be permanently connected to the mains and the mains power will be very reliable so this should not be a plausible explanation for failed recordings in general but could explain the odd isolated case.

Keith, Thank you for taking the trouble to give such a full explanation. I'm sure you're right that this could be the reason for the box not waking up to start the recording, although no other equipment in my house seems to have been affected, for instance computers and devices with electronic clocks.

Is it possible that the Humax youview box is more sensitive than most other devices to very brief sub-second outages or voltage fluctuations, although I'm not aware of having had any incident recently?
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Keith1 said:

I would really hope the Humax box was not overly sensitive to brief fluctuations and outages but it could be a factor. If it were generally a power issue then as you say I would expect to notice other devices affected, e.g. maybe your router would reboot which you could spot from the uptime/connection time etc.

Are you sure your Sony is started by the EPG Accurate Recording signal, and not some other method, e.g. comparing the published EPG time with an internal clock and starting then irregardless?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Keith1 said:

Keith, I note Bramble uses High Eco mode. Do you know if a box in Low Eco mode would have enough juju to restore its timers during standby?
    edited 18 January 2013, 2:50PM

No, I have no idea, but if it is good enough for Sony, why have Humax decided not to use a similar device, instead of generating bad publicity, for a recorder that is unreliable.

I don't disagree that the failure to record is a fault with the YV PVR.

I'm just saying that your example doesn't prove it, unless you can be sure that the Sony uses Accurate Recording. Which it may well do; AR is the digital equivalent of the old analogue PDC.

Better than the rather unloved VideoPlus+, which was just a way of encoding what the broadcasters gave long in advance for Channel/Date/Time/Duration and could not allow for last-minute changes, or the snooker going on past midnight, like PDC, and now AR, are supposed to do.
    What is the model number of your HDD recorder (I assume HDD, not actually HD, though ICBW)?
    How do you schedule a recording on it?
    It wasn't that you tried for SW on 101 on YV, but 1 on the Sony, was it?
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Roy - To follow up on your comment to my post above (but as a reply since it is quite long and may be of future use and more accessible if not rolled up within comments if there is further discussion), I've done a couple of quick tests as follows:

- set a recording a little time from now
    - put the box into standby
    - now turn it off at the wall socket for say 1 minute
    - turn it back on at the wall
    - wait until the recording should have begun by several minutes
    - bring the box out of standby and check the recording

I've done this with my Humax YouView box in high-eco and low-eco modes. In the high-eco case the box failed to start the scheduled recording at the appropriate time. Instead the recording began at the point I brought the box out of standby. In low-eco mode the box successfully began the recording at the correct time.

When the box is set to low-eco mode and the power is restored the box goes straight back to the 15-16W state, i.e. it powers up most functionality which no doubt includes restoring the time setting and any timers/countdowns etc. As such boxes that run in low-eco mode should not generally suffer failed recordings due to power outages (unless of course the outage period includes when the programme is on).

By contrast when a box is set to high-eco mode and the power restored it just stays in the high-eco mode 1W state. From the 2 observations I have now made in this situation it would appear to suggest at that point the clock/timer/countdown is not restored and hence scheduled recordings will now fail until such time as you manually bring the box out of standby. Of course a mere 2-3 tests is not a thorough experiment and to be more confident of this deduction one should really repeat the experiment a few more times.

I have my box in high-eco mode and in 6 months cannot recall any major problems with failed recordings. In that time I do recall maybe 2-4 such failures but nothing of great note or inconvenience and only one that with hindsight I could say I think was directly this issue (since I cut the power myself to set up a different experiment to deduce how long a box comes on overnight to do an update check (the answer being 20 minutes after several experiments)).

Overall I would expect many/the majority of users have their box in low-eco mode and even if they do not then the power supply to homes is generally very reliable. As such whilst this experiment and observation provides a mechanism for high-eco boxes to give failed recordings it is not clear to me it is sufficient to account for most cases given the amount of feedback from a variety of other customers suffering such issues.

Another scenario I can think of that is similar to this and would result in failed recordings relates to the way the box sets its time and can occasionally get that wrong which is item 18 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults. This clock problem has happened to me once and did result in a failed recording.
  • Jon1Jon1 Member Posts: 5
    edited 18 January 2013, 5:45PM
    Jon1 said:

I've had a failed recording last night, Jackie Brown on Film 4.

Humax T1000, directly wired to router. Only had this box 4 days! 6 years with a Topfield and never had a recording failure before.

Thought I'd just add that the Humax is in low eco mode and was actually running when the recording failed - I was watching tv at the time.
    edited 18 January 2013, 6:07PM

Sony hard disk recorder SVR-HDT500. Recording is by EPG.
    I am now going on holiday, hopefully all the programmes that are set to record will record. Although it is only the odd programme that fails or misses the beginning, it is still a major problem. If a brand new car did not start first time, every time, people would not buy it, and the manufacturer would do something about it.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Thanks Keith

That peerless source of unfalingly accurate information, Wikipedia, reports in:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview%2B
    that:-
    All Freeview+ and Freeview+ HD recorders are required to include the following features[1]:
    Schedule changes updated in standby (e.g. scheduled recording starting early)
    Where [1] refers to:-
    ^ DTG Functional Specification for Digital TV Recorders v1.0 (Schedule 4)

a PDF on the Freeview site, apparently, though trying to access it returns 'Page Not Found' and a hunt via the Search button on the site is equally fruitless.

Nonetheless, though, if accurate, it makes me wonder if a Humax YV box in High Eco mode meets this requirement?

Maybe the 'early' requirement is limited to 15 minutes, and this is why the Humax tries to wake up then?

An enhancement for the future, though, perhaps, is that a Humax in High Eco mode, when it finds itself being powered on even back into standby, should wake itself up enough to reset any running timers before sinking back into its 0.5w state.

What do you think?
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Roy - I would expect that the fact that the box has a low-eco mode and hence almost all functionality is on in that standby state it does get EPG updates as they happen and hence conforms to any such standard defined. Equally I would not be surprised to see that the coming on 15 minutes early from the high eco mode was also considered sufficiently compliant since significantly early starts are rare and it has to be a compromise since other standards require/recommend energy efficient modes.

If further tests confirm what I have observed twice that the box does need to boot once after power is restored to reset timers/clocks if it is in high eco mode, then I can imagine ways of configuring hardware to achieve something along the lines you suggest, e.g. boot up automatically on a power restore combined with a timer to stay on for only 5 minutes unless a remote key is pressed. It would need a bit more than that so could get a little awkward quite quickly and hence not a high priority to implement unless it was considered that power losses were common enough to have to work around/be robust against.

Overall I expect failed recordings could occur for a variety of reasons, some will be to be expected, others will be ones that perhaps the box should be more robust against and others will so far fall into the unknown reason category.

At the end of the day the customer just wants (and has a right to expect) reliability, or failing that at least parity of performance with other similar systems with ideally clear failure messages that would indicate which of any number of reasons it could have failed is the most likely in a given case. For me I broadly get that in that I have suffered almost no failed recordings but I appreciate that others have not had such a good experience. So although this issue does not really affect me (so far) I would prefer to understand the causes such that it would be possible to reliably test and retest the issues and hence determine/consider what action might be appropriate to take to improve the system to the benefit of the product in general. I would likewise expect YouView staff to have a similar interest in understanding the issues in order to determine what action to take or changes to make etc and since they have information and access that we as customers do not I would expect they either understand the issues already or are well on the way to doing so and hence to some form of change or provision of information and explanation that will help the customer.
    edited 18 January 2013, 10:54PM
    Once again a failed (late start) recording on Humax. silent witness started at 9.45 3/4 hr late. If nothing is done about this it is going back to john Lewis for a refund. I fully expect to come back from my hols with many of the recordings not up to standard. I really wish I had researched youview/Humax more thoroughly before I bought it. To be honest my original VHS recorder I bought over 30yrs ago was more reliable.
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 18 January 2013, 11:26PM

Once again a failed (late start) recording on Humax. silent witness started at 9.45 3/4 hr late. If nothing is done about this it is going back to john Lewis for a refund. I fully expect to come back from my hols with many of the recordings not up to standard. I really wish I had researched youview/Humax more thoroughly before I bought it. To be honest my original VHS recorder I bought over 30yrs ago was more reliable.

No consolation I know, but Silent Witness recorded fine for me. I recorded the BBC1HD version.
  • TechnogranTechnogran Member Posts: 152
    edited 19 January 2013, 7:26AM
    Roy1 said:

Thanks Keith

That peerless source of unfalingly accurate information, Wikipedia, reports in:-
    All Freeview+ and Freeview+ HD recorders are required to include the following features[1]:

a PDF on the Freeview site, apparently, though trying to access it returns 'Page Not Found' and a hunt via the Search button on the site is equally fruitless.

Nonetheless, though, if accurate, it makes me wonder if a Humax YV box in High Eco mode meets this requirement?

Maybe the 'early' requirement is limited to 15 minutes, and this is why the Humax tries to wake up then?

An enhancement for the future, though, perhaps, is that a Humax in High Eco mode, when it finds itself being powered on even back into standby, should wake itself up enough to reset any running timers before sinking back into its 0.5w state.

What do you think?

If you go and trawl through all the Humax forums on AVForums and also DigitalSpy, you will see that Humax units have always had problems with starts of programs, they are supposed to 'wake up' about 15 mins before the beginning of every set recording to check the times, but it doesn't always work, and in fact users have had problems with recordings taking place if they go on holiday for a week or so and the units are not touched during that time but left in standby.

As is usually the case with the Humax fans, a work around is to set the units up to 'switch on' automatically at a set time every day to avoid any failed recordings occurring! They have never really been the most reliable for recording in my opinion.

TG
  • TechnogranTechnogran Member Posts: 152
    edited 19 January 2013, 7:28AM

Recorded fine for me as well from Emley Moor on HD. I don't seem to be getting any failed recordings of late, but only record the HD channels and my unit is in low eco mode. (As Humax units are notorious for needing to take an age to boot up, check the EPG for time changes to scheduled recordings etc.)
  • cj136ukcj136uk Member Posts: 111
    edited 2 August 2013, 3:44PM
    I've had the same issues for the first time this week. Tried high and low Eco modes. All the same. It would be ok if all programmes were on backup.
    Speaking to John Lewis. Common humax issue I think
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:35AM
    Roy1 said:

Thanks Keith

What do you think?

How do I set recorder to switch on automatically? But programmes are being recorded late, whilst I am watching either TV or something on Humax pre-recorded. The box is in low economy.
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:36AM

I will try HD. thanks
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 19 January 2013, 9:58PM
    I tried to record Tropic Thunder (on BBC1 HD yesterday) on the YouView box and my Panasonic. It failed on both and prior to this I would have said that the Panasonic had never let me down. So it's not always YouView at fault.
    edited 21 January 2013, 4:12PM
    Cicero said:

I tried to record Tropic Thunder (on BBC1 HD yesterday) on the YouView box and my Panasonic. It failed on both and prior to this I would have said that the Panasonic had never let me down. So it's not always YouView at fault.

I just read on Google that this film was cancelled so neither YouView or Panasonic were at fault, and I am back to saying that the Panasonic has never let me down.I thought it had with There will be Blood last night but it was the live snooker overrunning.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 21 January 2013, 9:49PM
    Cicero said:

Ah! Did There Will be Blood show in the end? I cancelled my timer after I saw the snooker over-run.
    edited 21 January 2013, 9:56PM
    Cicero said:

I left my Panasonic timer on and it declared that it didn't receive the start signal. But it didn't say how long it waited so I don't know whether it was shown in the end.
  • michaelgjamesmichaelgjames Member Posts: 1
    edited 20 February 2013, 7:20PM
    Like many other people getting a slew of failed recordings, no indication from supplier of any method or intention to fix this, can't see the point of a PVR that can't be relied on to record programmes so will go back to Topfield.