HDMI Switching

John5John5 Posts: 38Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
This does not work properly. My TV has a DVD player connected to it. I turn the power of the DVD on and it turns the TV on and a few seconds later it auto switches to the HDMI input of the DVD player. I turn the YouView box on and it turns the TV on. It does not auto switch.

However. When the box is booted from power off. It goes through a long set up process during which the TV gets turned on via HDMI. It also auto switches to the YouView HDMI input without me having to do anything. Something is not set up correctly in the power on process.

Also occasionally the TV will revert back to the TV channel when I power off the YouView box but most of the time it sticks on the HDMI input and goes blank.

Comments

• gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Sounds more like this is an issue with your TV set.
  • SW1SW1 Posts: 240Member
    edited 29 September 2012, 9:33AM
    John, have you got the device in ECO mode set to Low? Try changing the ECO mode and see if that changes the behaviour you get.
  • John5John5 Posts: 38Member
    edited 30 September 2012, 8:28AM
    gomez said:

If it was the TV then it wouldn't work with the DVD player. Also it wouldn't wrk when the box is powered on from scratch
    edited 1 June 2013, 4:45PM
    It is set to Low. I'll give it a go and report back later on today
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi John. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/connec...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on.
    edited 30 September 2012, 7:58PM
    gomez said:

Have you tried swapping the connectons around to the HDMI sockets on the TV? If the TV supports HDMI auto-switching at all it is usually just on the first one.
    edited 30 September 2012, 8:06PM
    gomez said:

Ah - never heard of that. I'll give it a look
    edited 3 October 2012, 9:15AM
    gomez said:

Tried it and it didn't work. Originally it was in HDMI 4. I swapped it with the DVD player which sat in HDMI 1 and then tried turning the box on and off. The box came on. The TV came on (as before) but the TV didn't switch to HDMI 1. I turned it off and then turned the DVD player on. That came on, turned the TV on and a few seconds later autoswitched to HDMI 4. It's obviously the Humax box not doing it right.
    edited 3 October 2012, 9:15AM
    John5 said:

It is set to Low. I'll give it a go and report back later on today

not done this yet - will give it a try when I get some time.
    edited 1 December 2015, 2:54PM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi John. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/connec...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on.

Sorry but that link just goes to a page telling me to plug the HDMI lead in both the Humax box and the TV. My TV has 4 HDMI inputs. I don't need an HDMI switch (which is where I think you're getting confused). What I want is what I already have on my 4 year old DVD player. Turn on the Humax box, The TV should then turn on and auto tune to the HDMI input which is the Humax box, It does not do this.
    edited 3 October 2012, 10:02AM
    Jesse1 said:

This YV box does not support HDMI-CEC (also known as Bravia Sync or Viera Link, etc), so that will not work.
  • iSPYiSPY Posts: 166Member
    edited 3 October 2012, 10:08AM
    Jesse1 said:

I have the same issue with my Panasonic TV, The Humax will turn on my TV and Pioneer Amp but I still have to choose AV button on TV remote to get an image, very annoying indeed.
    edited 3 October 2012, 10:16AM
    Jesse1 said:

I thought that HDMI-CEC was part of the YouView spec. :-(
    edited 3 October 2012, 10:42AM
    Jesse1 said:

I made my statement from memory, I think it had been written somewhere that this box does not have HDMI-CEC, I could be wrong and would hope somebody reading this will say so.
  • Steve HodgettsSteve Hodgetts Posts: 23Member
    edited 13 October 2012, 3:39PM
    I've just received my Humax DTR-T1000 and have exactly the same problem on my Sony TV

A fresh boot of the box switches the HMDI correctly first time.

If I use ECO mode High it switches better if the box has been in a deep sleep, but my family wont wait for the box to boot like this.

If I use ECO mode Low it doesn't work.

This seems to be a software issue.
  • Steve HodgettsSteve Hodgetts Posts: 23Member
    edited 17 October 2012, 5:57PM
    I thought I should add a quick update to say that it's not as clear cut as switching between ECO modes. I spent a few days on ECO=High and it's really unreliable regarding whether it switches the HDMI on the TV.

I then switched to ECO=Low as I'm sick of the long startup times and hey presto next time I turned the box on with the TV on standby it turned the TV on and switched to the correct HDMI. Turning off the box put my TV back in standby.

Can I repeat this - absolutely not, to the point that I even start to doubt what I know I saw. This really has to be a software bug.
  • [removed][removed] Posts: 282Member
    edited 27 March 2013, 5:48PM
    Hi John I bought this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Way-HDMI-...

It is a HDMI switch box that enables 5 HDMI cables to go into 1 TV input. There are cheaper ones available but I decided on this one after buying a cheaper one that I was not happy with.
  • Jason1Jason1 Posts: 13Member
    edited 14 October 2015, 12:03PM
    Got the same issue with my Panasonic TV. When you first turn on the box, it turns on the TV, but if you turn the box on from standby it doesn't auto switch and appear on the TV.

How my previous DVR and blu ray player works is if you turn them on even if in standby the TV comes on. If you turn the TV off, it turned off the blu ray and DVR.

Also if the DVR was already on and I was watching normal TV and I pressed guide on the DVR remote it would switch too. I'd expect the youview button to do the same.

Hopefully these issues will be fixed before Christmas, otherwise it's just going to confuse my family when I give it to them at christmas.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    My (new) YouView box, when switched on, will turn on my Samsung TV, but leaves it on the broadcast channel instead of switching it to the YouView's HDMI input.

The Humax box also announces itself as a CEC device, and appears as such in the Samsung's Source menu, as well as appearing as a non-CEC HDMI device. But if you try to select the CEC version of it, there is a short hiatus during which the Samsung attempts to talk to the Humax, and then it fails, and the CEC entry disappears from the list.

As with my previous Humax, which behaved identically, it looks like the Humax is half-CEC. It should either (CEC) switch the TV on and then switch to the HDMI input, or (non-CEC) not affect the TV at all,.

And not evince some ghastly 'orrible hybrid of the two, as it is actually doing.

My Sony Bluray player has proper dialogues with the Samsung, and evinces correct and complete CEC behaviour. My BT Vision box had no dialogues with the Samsung (having to be switched manually) and evinced correct non-CEC behaviour.

There is a bug here that YouView or Humax (or as a distant possibility, Samsung) need to fix.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • Roger1Roger1 Posts: 12Member
    edited 28 October 2015, 6:46PM
    Hi Same problem samsung lcd tv only 1 hdmi socket Bluray dvd turns on hdmi my old Humax via scart selects correctly when powered on....
    but the youview box talktalk does not ....
    need to get splitter but manual or auto... (auto probably waste of time)
  • TaliskaTaliska Posts: 64Member
    As YV have provided their dumbed-down potted answer:

"We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/connec...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on."

I would suggest raising it with Humax directly (excerpt from YV mail to me on HDMI issues):

"Our technical department have investigated this issue for you and have come to the conclusion that the Humax team will be able to assist you further. You can contact them on 0844 669 8800 (Mon to Fri between 9am to 5.30pm)."

Good luck.

Taliska
    edited 10 November 2012, 10:30AM
    Taliska said:

"We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/connec...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on."

I would suggest raising it with Humax directly (excerpt from YV mail to me on HDMI issues):

"Our technical department have investigated this issue for you and have come to the conclusion that the Humax team will be able to assist you further. You can contact them on 0844 669 8800 (Mon to Fri between 9am to 5.30pm)."

Good luck.

Taliska

Good luck with that, which ever way I describe the HDMI handshake problem to Humax support they suggest it is a hardware issue and want to replace the box. This is a software issue.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 10 November 2012, 1:25PM
    Jesse1 said:

Yes CEC “One-Touch Play” and “System Standby” (whatever they are) are a mandatory requirement of the box according to the YouView spec.
  • TaliskaTaliska Posts: 64Member
    edited 22 February 2014, 1:42PM
    Taliska said:

Good luck.

Taliska

So the only way to progress this is to then go through all the hassle of replacing it, and seeing if they were right, otherwise you are at an impasse.
    Trouble is then that if they replace the box and it still fails to work correctly, you may get the suggestion to change the TV!
    Oh the joys of incompatibility...
    Taliska
    I'm on my second Humax box, whose HDMI switching behaviour is in no way different from the first one I had, and which is described above.

I have 4 makes of TV in the house (Samsung, Sony(2 models), Panasonic and LG) all of which are known to do CEC switching, under the various proprietary names they give CEC, from various other devices I own. All of them behave perfectly with those CEC devices.

I've only used the Humax on the Sammy, but if I get time next week, I'll try it on the others and report back. (Not to prejudge, but my guess is they will all behave like the Samsung does with the Humax).

I have my Humax set for fast switch-on, whichever Eco mode that is. But that would be no excuse for it not doing CEC properly. Especially if CEC is in the spec that YouView give manufacturers.
    edited 11 November 2012, 12:52AM
    Taliska said:

Good luck.

Taliska

Do Humax make TVs? Maybe they should :-)
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Taliska said:

Good luck.

Taliska

Volume control coming shortly.

Picture promised for the next software release :-)
    edited 11 November 2012, 3:22PM
    Taliska said:

Good luck.

Taliska

Humax did make a TV. Wasn't a great success.
  • Jason1Jason1 Posts: 13Member
    As mentioned above CEC is in the Core Tech Specification for YouView at https://industry.youview.com/pages/re...

On page 26 of the PDF it says:

Devices shall provide A/V connections as specified in section 22.3.4.4.1 of DTG D-Book 7 Part A v1 with the following changes:

- HDMI “Auto Lipsync Correction”, CEC “One-Touch Play” and “System Standby” are mandatory. Note that the “Auto Lipsync” feature implies HDMI version 1.3.

So it seems One-Touch Play and System Standby are mandatory. Looking these up on another web site defines them as:

One Touch Play - Allows a device to be played and become the active source with a single button press.

System Standby - Enables the user to switch all devices to standby with one button press.

Which sounds like exactly we want. If you turn on the YouView box, the TV comes on and switches to the input it's attached to. If you turn off the TV, it turns off the YouView box.

The TV did switch to YouView the very first time I installed the box, so it's there somewhere, just doesn't work when the box goes into Standby and doesn't switch off when you turn off the TV it seems.

Would be interesting to see what YouView or Humax say about this, but I've no idea how to contact them other than phone and trying to explain it, I'd imagine they wouldn't understand.

This is my only major annoyance with the service (apart from the lack of LoveFilm) and just would make it easier for my family to use without having to manually switch inputs all the time.
    edited 14 October 2015, 12:03PM
    You didn't expect the launch devices to actually adhere to the launch specification did you?