Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests

Comments

• stokesd3stokesd3 Posts: 129Member
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:31PM
    stokesd3 said:

For 28, free content can now be filtered and sadly, 17 has had feature removed

Referring to on demand and not the guide, i.e. green button in BT TV/BT Player content.
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:34PM
    stokesd3 said:

If i misinterpreted that point 28 was trying to achieve then remove my comment on that one, I tend to hide internet channels that aren't free.
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:34PM
    stokesd3 said:

If i misinterpreted what point 28 was trying to achieve then remove my comment on that one, I tend to hide internet channels that aren't free.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,915Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:35PM
    stokesd3 said:

Thats called 'Free to Me', stokesd3 and is not applicable to all YouView boxes.
    Its a great feature but is BT-centric only.
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:45PM
    stokesd3 said:

My mistake cheers dude
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,411Member, Champion mod
    edited 9 April 2017, 6:26PM
    stokesd3 said:

Thanks for the clarification - I've further adjusted the note in the list :)
    edited 9 April 2017, 6:50PM
    stokesd3 said:

Some more for you Keith...

Would like hidden channels to not appear in search results.

The guide is annoying if you scroll across channels 101-106 like i do. As the second row is focussed, going up to 101 and down to 106 makes the guide hop up and down to the neighbouring channels. For the same reason, you have to type channel 102 to display 101-106. So irritating haha.

A large number of peeps want an option to switch between the current tile view and a now gone list view.

I've now added an entry for an option for a recordings list view. I had been holding off adding that (although I did note it was a likely request on day one of the public launch of next gen) but given the lack of clarity or confirmation of plans from YouView I've now put it in the list.

I've also added an entry about filtering out search results that only match items on hidden channels.

I've not yet added an entry for the EPG focus. Would one want an option for the user to decide whether when typing in a channel number it focuses on that at the top of the view window or whether it offsets by 1, 2 or perhaps even 3. Equally one could consider it is confusing as it now is and is thus something that should be changed without options for varying preference. One could even ask is it a bug (presumably not).
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,859Member ✭✭
    edited 9 April 2017, 6:57PM
    stokesd3 said:

The guide is annoying if you scroll across channels 101-106 like i do. As the second row is focussed, going up to 101 and down to 106 makes the guide hop up and down to the neighbouring channels. For the same reason, you have to type channel 102 to display 101-106. So irritating haha.

A large number of peeps want an option to switch between the current tile view and a now gone list view.

Hidden channels in the search results has a important role. Without it been there if you wanted to unhide one channel you would have to unhide the lot. With hidden channels in the search you are able to search for a program press OK on the hidden channel put your pin in and unhide just one channel. Now if you unhide every single channel and have to go though and re hide that is more time consuming.

Of course it don't work this way on next gen due to hide channels been missing but I certainly hope this function remains when hide channels returns.
    edited 9 April 2017, 11:46PM
    stokesd3 said:

Whilst that workaround to unhide a single channel exists in old gen, I would hope that when YouView restore the channel hiding feature they actually implement it cleanly and completely such that one can hide extra channels or unhide individual ones as and when you wish without the need to resort to any workarounds :)
    edited 10 April 2017, 7:51AM
    stokesd3 said:

Yeah i hope so too. I don't think constantly seeing hidden channels in the results is ideal, on the off chance you may want to unhide it one day.
  • jim1jim1 Posts: 60Member
    edited 10 April 2017, 8:06AM
    stokesd3 said:

If I've hidden a channel, I do NOT want to see results from that channel of my search. 
    edited 10 April 2017, 8:18AM
    stokesd3 said:

But at the same time I have needed to unhide a channel in the past without this been there I would have had to unhide everything and sort though the channel list again and wasted half a hour doing it that I won't get back.

If youview can't come up with a better way of unhide 1 channel. This really needs to stay.

Obviously I would like to see a way to unhide a single channel in the settings and in search hidden content removed but if they don't do this the positive of the current way outweighs the negative.
  • CegCeg Posts: 184Member
    edited 11 April 2017, 1:21AM
    stokesd3 said:

It's fairly simple to do. When you've put in the passcode for hiding channels, all the channels appear with the hidden ones having the checkbox next to them ticked. To unhide you just untick the checkbox.

My last 3 PVRs and my last 2 TVs had/have this functionality.
    edited 10 April 2017, 11:24PM
    stokesd3 said:

It would be better if they do it this way certainly but there is no guarantee they will unfortunately. I would hate to see the ability to unhide just one channel be taken away or not added in the case of next gen.
    edited 11 April 2017, 1:25AM
    stokesd3 said:

Agree with Ceg. Used to be tick to hide, so why not tick or untick to toggle, much more logical.
  • Mike Williams1Mike Williams1 Posts: 48Member
    edited 24 June 2017, 3:36PM
    Keith1 said:

Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests now located above

The list now contained in the post above originally resided here within this first topic post. The list was initially created on 29/9/2012 and maintained within this post until 4/12/2013 when the forum software changed meaning the mechanism being used/exploited to manage this post no longer worked. YouView kindly granted me additional access on 3/6/2014 which combined with an adjustment/fix deployed by Get Satisfaction on 24/6/2014 enables me to both maintain such posts again and provides a little additional flexibility which I have chosen to exploit by maintaining the list within the main opening topic post going forward.

As ever if you spot any errors or know of extra information that can be added to the above just add a reply to the topic and provided the forum software allows me I'll do my best to update the information :)

No thanks is required or expected but always gladly received and, as per Roy's recent suggestion elsewhere, all (including YouView staff) are welcome to like this first reply post in such threads as recognition should they wish to ;-)

Hi,

With the demise of the goto feature, i would like to propose that a feature be added (i love from my venerable Humax 9200) such that when playing a recording that you are able to type a four digit number (say 0030 to mean 00:30 is 30 minutes into recording) and the play would resume from that time.

The box is already "listening" for remote key press events to respond to ok being rewind to 00:00 so this shouldn't be much work to code up.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 7:50PM
    Keith1 said:

The list now contained in the post above originally resided here within this first topic post. The list was initially created on 29/9/2012 and maintained within this post until 4/12/2013 when the forum software changed meaning the mechanism being used/exploited to manage this post no longer worked. YouView kindly granted me additional access on 3/6/2014 which combined with an adjustment/fix deployed by Get Satisfaction on 24/6/2014 enables me to both maintain such posts again and provides a little additional flexibility which I have chosen to exploit by maintaining the list within the main opening topic post going forward.

As ever if you spot any errors or know of extra information that can be added to the above just add a reply to the topic and provided the forum software allows me I'll do my best to update the information :)

No thanks is required or expected but always gladly received and, as per Roy's recent suggestion elsewhere, all (including YouView staff) are welcome to like this first reply post in such threads as recognition should they wish to ;-)

CurrentGen did that, except it was 30 you would type.

The feature might come back later, who knows?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 12 April 2017, 9:24PM
    Keith1 said:

Let's hope so. Getting 2hrs in to a 3hr programme at x30 speed is a toil booo
    edited 12 April 2017, 10:40PM
    Keith1 said:

A what?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:31PM
    I wonder why 105 has never been addressed? My mum's TV is proper screen burnt due to no screensaver, good job it doesn't bother her as much as it does me. Assume no point putting the feature request in as mentioned many times before.
  • FredrikFredrik Posts: 11Member
    edited 26 August 2017, 12:10PM
    Can I request a discrete Power On (rather than a Toggle) for the USB Keyboard support. Massive improvement to people with home automation systems that is getting more and more common and affordable.
    edited 30 August 2017, 1:01AM
    Can I also request auto closure of HDCP error messages? Currently if you use a YouView box with a AMP, then a HDCP error message will appear as soon as you switch your AMP to another HDMI input because you break the HDCP chain.

I understand that this is necessary, but when the user switches back to YouView and the HDCP chain is resorted. Can't we automatically clear the error pop-up message? No need to leave the message on the screen once HDCP is restored?

Bonus if you can leave the analog audio output still working once HDCP is broken. I dont believe there is any legal requirement to switch of the analog audio output when HDCP is lost? Switching off the audio output is annoying if anyone uses the YouView audio for a Zone2 on their AMP. Currently my Main Zone has to be left on in order to establish the HDCP handshake or else I wont get analog audio output to my Zone2.
    edited 29 August 2017, 6:20PM
    Fredrik said:

Can I also request auto closure of HDCP error messages? Currently if you use a YouView box with a AMP, then a HDCP error message will appear as soon as you switch your AMP to another HDMI input because you break the HDCP chain.

I understand that this is necessary, but when the user switches back to YouView and the HDCP chain is resorted. Can't we automatically clear the error pop-up message? No need to leave the message on the screen once HDCP is restored?

Bonus if you can leave the analog audio output still working once HDCP is broken. I dont believe there is any legal requirement to switch of the analog audio output when HDCP is lost? Switching off the audio output is annoying if anyone uses the YouView audio for a Zone2 on their AMP. Currently my Main Zone has to be left on in order to establish the HDCP handshake or else I wont get analog audio output to my Zone2.

I see nothing like this happening when I switch HDMI inputs on my Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar, and nor would I expect to, because I don't see how this would break any HDCP chain.

I think you have a faulty amp, or possibly even a faultily designed amp.

What is the make and model of this amp?

Have other users commented, on the web anywhere, about this issue?
    edited 29 August 2017, 9:45PM
    Fredrik said:

Hi Roy. I have a Yamaha RX-V677. I've actually already had it replaced once under warranty and it happened both to the previous one and this one as well. So it must either be a design flaw with the V677 or something with my Plusnet branded YouView box?

Most likely some AMPs might not keep the HDCP handshake alive when that input is not selected. So it would still be beneficial to anyone who has one of these amps to have the error message auto close once HDCP is restored?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,915Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 August 2017, 9:59PM
    Fredrik said:

I too have a Yamaha. HTR - 2067. Whilst I can suffer sound drops, I don't get any error messages. Though I agree with you about the Auto-Close.
    edited 29 August 2017, 11:02PM
    Fredrik said:

Hi Fredrick

I think I would try another HDCP-using device, like a Bluray player say, and see if that complains when you switch away from, and then back to, that input.

I would also want to check that switching back to the relevant input for a YouView box does indeed repeat the HDCP handshake, and doesn't just stop trying because of the preceding failure.
    edited 30 August 2017, 1:01AM
    Fredrik said:

Well, the only other devices I have to test with is a Apple TV Gen 4 and a Xbox 360 at the moment.

The Apple TV Gen 4 might have some HDCP content, I'll give it a try.

But it will be hard to test if I am honest either way. The Apple TV could just black out the screen and resume when I switch to it again, so it will be hard to tell unless tvOS is programmed to pop up with a message and keep it displayed after HDCP is returned.

But going back to what you said about the YouView box. It can't be giving up, or else I wouldn't get a picture when I switch the input back to the YouView box. The HDCP message is just a pop up that can be cleared, I can still see the video in the background and I get sound once I return to its input. If it had given up on re-establishing HDCP then I would get no picture at all.

I think the YouView software is written so that if HDCP is lost, then a pop up message appears, informing the user off the issue.
    10 seconds later (giving the user enough time to read the message), the box then disables all all outputs (video and audio)

I can tell that based on the analog output. If I have my Main Zone (Video+Audio via HDMI) and Zone 2 (analog audio only) both switched on. If I then either switch off the Main Zone, or change the Input. I will continue to have audio on Zone2 for another 10 seconds until it shuts off.
    As soon as I switch Main Zone back to the YouViews HDMI input, then picture is restored on the TV and so is the analog audio going to Zone2.

A Sky box works in a similar way. If it looses HDCP it doesn't kill the picture straight away, it opens up a pop up message (with a count down if I recall correctly) before the signal is cut off.
  • microkidmicrokid Posts: 1Unconfirmed, Member

Having used my YouView box (Humax DTR-T2000) for about a year now (had a Topfield TF5800 before) I have some requests/suggestions that I feel would improve the user experience.

1. A method to better organise recordings – when you have a 1TB drive, naturally, that means lots of recordings will be stored. I would like the option to be able to create a subfolder within MyTv recordings area, which can be titled, for example, ‘Kids Programs’, with the ability to then move a recording (or group of recordings) from the parent folder into the subfolder. Much like you would on a computer.

2. Scrolling through the EPG is painful and could b improved. When scrolling through the EPG I have to stop every time I move, so that it can load and display the relevant EPG content. Surely this data could be pre-populated so when scrolling through the EPG the data appears instantly as you move. I would like to be able to hold the move right button down and see all the programs in the EPG smoothly scroll past. I have noticed that the App is the same so data does not appear until you pause for it to load.

3. Following on from point 2 above, it would be useful if it were possible to see the info for the currently highlighted program in the EPG without having to press the’i’ button to see it – or that I button could toggle this view on or off. The idea being, that as you scroll through the EPG you could read a short synopsis of each program as you navigate without having to keep pressing buttons.

4. When using the search feature can it only show programs that can be actually viewed on the device – I don’t want to search through loads of stuff on channels I cant view to find what I want.

5. Recording from keyword – this is a bit left field but I would like to be able to setup a keyword search for Example ‘Cars’ with a few prerequisites like ITV, Mon to Fri then every time this requirement is met the device will record whatever that program may be.

All of the above were available on the Topfield albeit with a third party EPG tap installed. But they really improved the overall user experience.

Apologies if any of my requests overlap with existing ones.
    edited 26 October 2017, 8:10PM
    Hi @microkid - thanks for the input above, it is always welcome. Stepping through your points against the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests list

1. The idea of user defined folders (as opposed to the automated series rollup folders) is a long standing suggestion as capture in item 11. Whilst YouView implemented the series folders in the update of 30/10/2012, there has been no indications that they have any plans to do more general user controlled folders :(
    2. The response time of the EPG has improved but the YouView next gen experience is now fundamentally intended to be a connected experience so I would assume YouView would argue to ensure accuracy it needs to refresh the content dynamically rather than cache more of it for apparent faster, but possibly inaccurate, presentation.
    3. Showing info for the currently highlighted programme is another long standing suggestion, see item 6. The redesign of the EPG for next gen would have been an ideal point to potentially incorporate this but it would appear YouView had other ideas as to what makes for a better EPG (e.g. transparency rather than mini TV, no wrap around on the channel numbers, no more channels or wider time window per page, no longer displaying the detailed duration of the highlighted programme) :(
    4. Filtered/limited searches based on content you have access to has also been suggested, see items 28 and 117 which are of some relevance. A possible reason for any reluctance to offer such filtering may relate to stakeholder content no longer being so visible to non-subscribers; other reasons could exist though.
    5. Keyword and more complex patterns for recording have been suggested before, citing the Toppy as an example of how this can work well (it also being cited by some for various other features too). I've not gone digging for those past discussions but I seem to recall it feeling quite a niche desire. That does not of course mean YouView could not decide to do this but given the progress on other matters it seems like this would be unlikely to ever reach their roadmap.

Perhaps we will see some new features in next gen soon although at the moment more of the focus of feedback seems to be around feature lost that people want put back into next gen. Maybe 2018 will be the year next gen reaches parity with old gen and then moves beyond that :)
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member

Keith

A  suggestion for you -- how about  transposing your list into a searchable document?

Please see attached example