Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests

Comments

• Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 17 November 2013, 7:05PM
    Actually it is possible to send the aspect ratio down a SCART lead, if I recall correctly it is by varying the voltage on pin 8 - The pin that controls auto-switching

0V = No Signal
    6V = 16:9 Picture
    12V = 4:3 Picture

I doubt very much if this has been programmed into the software in the box though
  • TaliskaTaliska Posts: 64Member
    edited 22 February 2014, 1:42PM
    That's different... That was used to switch widescreen TVs depending on the aspect ratio of the source material. What's wanted is control what the YV box outputs for 4x3 TVs where the source material is 16x9.

Taliska
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,044Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Can you please explain 74 to me?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • TaliskaTaliska Posts: 64Member
    74. Alternate remote codes for YouView remote to deal with clashes

Occasionally IR codes can clash with other devices - for example a CD player. So when you're trying to control your Humax YV box, your CD player starts going bananas.

The suggestion is to allow the Humax Remote control change code sets, so that it won't upset other devices you might have.

The freesat Humax PVR control allows this, but the Humax YV one seemingly can't be changed. This is somewhat surprising and potentially very annoying.

Hope this explains.

Taliska
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,404Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Taliska said:

Hi Keith,

The problem with the SCART is that it wil only output in 16x9. Hook this up to a 4x3 TV and you might be excused for believing that we were living in Holland - everyone is tall and thin.

There is no option to configure the output aspect ration on the SCART - minimal options would be 16x9 (what it is now), 4x3 centre cut out (fills vertical, chops sides), 4x3 letterbox (black bars top and bottom, full width).

I would imagine that it would be fine to leave this as a 'fixed' configuration item rather than something you might want to change on a per programme basis on the remote,

Essentially this makes it support 4x3 TVs for the small minority that still have them.

( I remembered that smart zoom was for pulling 4x3 non-linearly to 16x9 on my very old Sony Wega CRT, so ignore.)

Taliska

I've added this in to point 52 :)
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Taliska said:

74. Alternate remote codes for YouView remote to deal with clashes

Occasionally IR codes can clash with other devices - for example a CD player. So when you're trying to control your Humax YV box, your CD player starts going bananas.

The suggestion is to allow the Humax Remote control change code sets, so that it won't upset other devices you might have.

The freesat Humax PVR control allows this, but the Humax YV one seemingly can't be changed. This is somewhat surprising and potentially very annoying.

Hope this explains.

Taliska

I understand now. Thanks
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    I've further extended the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests above adding items 75-78 in the last few days.
    I've further extended the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests above adding items 79-81.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    With regards to item 1 skip button functionality...
    (Now implemented for Humax owners but not yet released for us poor TalkTalk customers.)

Can you reassure me that if you hold down the skip buttons you get a fast forward speed that is better than the maximum achievable with the FFW button (i.e. better than X30)?

I've just been stumbling through this subject in the TalkTalk forum. (here)

The final conclusion was that X30 isn't fast enough. (The 4OD player will go up to X128!)

The delay between software release for Humax users and that for us TalkTalk Huawei users is a bit annoying, but maybe it gives us a chance to regard the Humax release as a beta test ahead of the main release (!!)
    I've further extended the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests above taking the list up to 85 items now.
  • endsbowenendsbowen Posts: 38Member
    Is there a page where Youview show December 2012 these bugs & these new features, march 2013 these bug fixes and new features etc that would be useful.

After my initial enthusiasm, its gone so flat for this box Free Sat & Sky have caught up , we need quicker innovation, I know they need to be tested but, its taking too long for a box that's delayed already ...

Also when is the cheaper IPTV version of the box coming out for the demand items ... with PVR in the cloud functionality for Live TV i.e. iplayer but for all channels ...
  • Martin ConnollyMartin Connolly Posts: 2Member
    edited 4 December 2012, 4:34PM
    I'd vote for 6, 24, 25 and 55 as my most needed from this list.
  • Sally JacobsSally Jacobs Posts: 17Member
    edited 4 December 2012, 5:01PM
    *Please* can you provide a fix for item 52. I have an old 4x3 TV and have to watch everything squished in horizontally. even programmes originally transmitted in 4x3.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29PM
    endsbowen said:

Is there a page where Youview show December 2012 these bugs & these new features, march 2013 these bug fixes and new features etc that would be useful.

After my initial enthusiasm, its gone so flat for this box Free Sat & Sky have caught up , we need quicker innovation, I know they need to be tested but, its taking too long for a box that's delayed already ...

Also when is the cheaper IPTV version of the box coming out for the demand items ... with PVR in the cloud functionality for Live TV i.e. iplayer but for all channels ...

Hi endsbowen - i expect you are unlikely to get many people responding such general queries on this particular thread. In general though for each software update YouView create a forum update topic and announce the changes that update addresses. They also then put that update information in the YouView knowledge base. What they will not do in general is publish any broad development roadmap or absolute indication far in advance as to what will be in each update (in terms of bugs fixes or new features).

As for IPTV I would recommend following that point up on one of the IPTV topics where it is likely to get response from people following there and in turn may get an update from a YouView staff member.
    Hi Sally - the topic linked to at the end of item 52 is currently marked as planned which would tend to be a strong indication that something will be coming along in the next features update likely to be around January/February. I expect that though will be the option to force the output to say 720p, 1080i etc for those people having problems with TVs that do not auto-negotiate correctly with the box and get this stage wrong. As such it may well be the case a solution specifically for older style 4x3 TVs could be some way away still :(

It would be worth posting on that specific topic too to stimulate/maintain interest in general in supporting an output format for 4x3 TVs or perhaps even start a topic specifically about support for 4x3 TVs since at present the main mention for this is in the post above by Taliska.
  • Sally JacobsSally Jacobs Posts: 17Member
    edited 5 December 2012, 10:39AM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Sally - the topic linked to at the end of item 52 is currently marked as planned which would tend to be a strong indication that something will be coming along in the next features update likely to be around January/February. I expect that though will be the option to force the output to say 720p, 1080i etc for those people having problems with TVs that do not auto-negotiate correctly with the box and get this stage wrong. As such it may well be the case a solution specifically for older style 4x3 TVs could be some way away still :(

It would be worth posting on that specific topic too to stimulate/maintain interest in general in supporting an output format for 4x3 TVs or perhaps even start a topic specifically about support for 4x3 TVs since at present the main mention for this is in the post above by Taliska.

Thanks Keith. Done.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29PM
    Keith1 said:

I've added a link to your new topic as a second reference for item 52 :)
  • Pauline RedRosesPauline RedRoses Posts: 6Member
    edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    69. Accessibility options: text size, colours, themes, audible notifications (e.g. for channel changes) etc; more intelligent zoom option; enabling such settings during initial setup {see [1], [2]} 30/10/2012 update changed font and highlight colour for better accessibility and contrast. Also layout of programme names in EPG table cells slightly adjusted.
    - - - -
    Would you add an option to increase the font size please? The remote's Zoom is nice, but the remote doesn't channel up/down while in zoom mode (the work around is Zoom and move, unZoom, channel up/down, Zoom again.
    Hi Pauline - changing/increasing the font size is already captured in that idea point as the first thing, i.e. text size option :)

Maybe I should change it to say text/font size or even changing/increasing text/font size?

Two of the reference links at the end of point 69 are the links gwatuk has posted above for reference too :)
    Pauline, just checking, have you seen http://tinyurl.com/chmlh3y, http://tinyurl.com/c79gmrw and http://tinyurl.com/azy2yo5 ?
    It all confirms that the accessibility requirements have got a long way to go. :-(

69. Accessibility options: text size, colours, themes, audible notifications (e.g. for channel changes) etc; more intelligent zoom option; enabling such settings during initial setup {see [1], [2]} 30/10/2012 update changed font and highlight colour for better accessibility and contrast. Also layout of programme names in EPG table cells slightly adjusted.
    - - - -
    Would you add an option to increase the font size please? The remote's Zoom is nice, but the remote doesn't channel up/down while in zoom mode (the work around is Zoom and move, unZoom, channel up/down, Zoom again.

Pauline, just checking, have you seen http://tinyurl.com/chmlh3y, http://tinyurl.com/c79gmrw and http://tinyurl.com/azy2yo5 ?
    It all confirms that the accessibility requirements have got a long way to go. :-(
  • Pauline RedRosesPauline RedRoses Posts: 6Member
    edited 10 December 2012, 10:30PM

- - - -

Thank you for the links gwatuk
  • edited 17 December 2012, 9:05PM
    Can YV give us a true timetable of the topics Under Consideration for their implementation? I did read before that either LoveFilm or Netflix was going to be added as a new On Demand player during December - nothing there yet !!

I'd prefer a Browser ........
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi Donald

>> I did read before that either LoveFilm or Netflix was going to be added as a new On Demand player during December - nothing there yet !!

That's certainly not been said by YouView on these forums, not since they opened to the public at least.

Websites and blogs sometimes report endless rumours without noting that that's all they are which then gives people a false impression about what's happening or planned.
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Posts: 57Member
    It would be a nice feature to NOT have it freezing during boot-up.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

It would be a nice feature to NOT have it freezing during boot-up.

That's one for the bug list:-

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

And may indeed already be on there as number 11
  • erdieerdie Posts: 35Member
    edited 19 December 2015, 7:26PM
    Any idea when an update will be coming along?
  • edited 21 December 2012, 6:00PM
    erdie said:

Any idea when an update will be coming along?

One is due in January
  • sandmansandman Posts: 59Member
    edited 24 July 2013, 10:59PM
    can you add a youview cloud storage service to the list champ, the possibilities would be endless and would work in favour of youview and digital rights where requests for dnla usb access and ftp have been made. in form of an app o' wareva!!
    would be usefull for freeing up disk space and access to other saved/transfered content from pc etc not for download.
    Hi sandman - I've added the cloud storage idea into the list as item 88 with a link to your topic on that (where I've also added some comments) :)