Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests

Comments

• Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Member Posts: 57
    edited 24 December 2012, 11:52AM
    sandman said:

can you add a youview cloud storage service to the list champ, the possibilities would be endless and would work in favour of youview and digital rights where requests for dnla usb access and ftp have been made. in form of an app o' wareva!!
    would be usefull for freeing up disk space and access to other saved/transfered content from pc etc not for download.

Why would anyone voluntarily want DRM?
  • sandmansandman Member Posts: 59
    edited 24 December 2012, 11:51PM
    sandman said:

can you add a youview cloud storage service to the list champ, the possibilities would be endless and would work in favour of youview and digital rights where requests for dnla usb access and ftp have been made. in form of an app o' wareva!!
    would be usefull for freeing up disk space and access to other saved/transfered content from pc etc not for download.

then whats the hold back with all these services/functions that YV is without or with held, drm? buying the box in the first instance would be voluntarily conforming to drm.
  • AlastairAlastair Member Posts: 7
    edited 5 January 2013, 10:34AM
    sandman said:

5. EPG Zoom in particular.
    26. (Android version PLEASE).
  • AlastairAlastair Member Posts: 7
    edited 5 January 2013, 10:35AM
    5. EPG Zoom in particular.
    26. (Android version PLEASE).
  • andy.dewhurstandy.dewhurst Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 January 2013, 9:49AM
    As I watch a lot of older 4:3 tv....my preference order (and facilities that were available on my Sky box!) in order...

39/40
    52/89

and for those who want 16:9 on a 4:3 screen, it is possible on other systems using letterbox style (but with a band at the top and bottom).
    edited 8 January 2013, 1:08PM
    Letter-boxing is a seriously bad "feature".
  • Sally JacobsSally Jacobs Member Posts: 17
    edited 8 January 2013, 1:09PM

Letter-boxing is a seriously bad "feature".

its a damn sight better than squishing a 16:9 picture into a 4:3 frame which is what they force on us now
  • edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Serious q.

Why would anyone spent £250 - or sign up to a BT/TT sub - for a next generation box that offers HD, surround sound, and widescreen pictures only to us it with a 4:3 TV?
    edited 8 January 2013, 1:21PM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Why would anyone spent £250 - or sign up to a BT/TT sub - for a next generation box that offers HD, surround sound, and widescreen pictures only to us it with a 4:3 TV?

box was 'free' with current TT subscription. it gives me access to on demand players, record, pause and rewind and, with small additional monthly fee, sky channels. my old tv works very well and i do not have the money to buy a new one. it also adjusts aspect ratio automatically to all other digital inputs (freeview boxes etc) with no problem. can't see why youview is forcing a 16:9 aspect ratio on it.
  • edited 8 January 2013, 1:23PM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Fair enough :-)
  • Les LodgeLes Lodge Member Posts: 2
    edited 10 January 2013, 11:20PM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Fair enough if it was 1988! But 4:3 in 2013? I wonder if the 4:3 set is colour yet?
    edited 11 January 2013, 12:49AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Apparently 13,000 televisions are currently using monochrome - presumably in 4:3...
  • CeejayCeejay Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
    edited 14 January 2013, 11:33PM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

This 'idea' is really stupid - stretchyvision / zoom was really only of correct usage for people who had analogue-only reception and wanted to fill their widescreen with the 14:9 cropped picture.

Now that all digital channels are 16:9 native why should there be an option to enable people to deliberately distort the picture? If it's a 4:3 programme its because it was made that way - get over those black bars! Certainly not worth Youview spending money to enable what is total bad practice. You are not getting any 'extra' picture information by stretching it!
  • edited 14 January 2013, 11:39PM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

I admire your pluck but fear you have no idea of the outrage your comments are likely to be greeted with...
    edited 15 January 2013, 9:31AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Colin, you are missing the point here. For those of us with 4:3 TVs (whatever you may think about that), YouView boxes force a 16:9 aspect ratio on us irrespective of whether the programme is broadcast in 16:9 or 4:3, thereby distorting everything that is transmitted. For most porgrammes transmitted in 16:9, the picture is 'squashed' horizontally to fit the screen and for those transmitted in 4:3 this distortion still happens and we get black bars at the sides. There is no way of adjusting this. My television is capable of automatically adjusting to all other digital receivers I have used and other digital input (e.g. DVD, Wii) to avoid any such distortion. YouView is somehow set to prevent this automatic adjustment. I cannot afford to replace my television which, in any case still works well and has high quality sound and picture. Would you not concede that having to watch a distorted picture is far form ideal?
  • edited 15 January 2013, 9:48AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Hi Sally

If it helps at all, I think Colin's comments were about people with widescreen TVs wanting to stretch 4:3 pictures to fill the whole screen, not people having the issue you described :-)

On a 4:3 TV a 18:9 broadcast should appear across the middle of the screen with black bars top and bottom, if this not that happens?
    edited 15 January 2013, 9:52AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

apologies if I misunderstood but he was posting in a thread about 4:3 TVs.

I agree that this is what should happen but it does not happen. As I say, it is distorted to fill the 4:3 screen. Cant understand why.
  • edited 15 January 2013, 9:59AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Hi Sally

How is the picture appearing on your set? Are you able to take a photo and link to it here?
    edited 15 January 2013, 10:04AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Not sure the distortion will be clear from a photo. Basically all programmes transmitted in 16:9 are squashed horizontally and stretched vertically to fill the 4:3 screen (no cropping, no black bars). Even more bizarrely, all older programmes transmitted in 4:3 undergo exactly the same distortion with the addition of black bars at the sides. Nothing can be viewed without distortion. There is no way of 'telling' the YouView box that it is connected to a 4:3 TV.
  • edited 15 January 2013, 10:08AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

EEK!

Is this the Humax or TalkTalk box, I don't suppose you've had the chance to see if it does this on another 4:3 TV?
    edited 15 January 2013, 10:14AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

TalkTalk. I know of someone else on the TalkTalk forums who is having the same problem. Apparently, their technical support could originally fix the problem remotely but now that functionality has been removed for unknown reasons. TalkTalk have been unable to offer me any solutions nor any explanations to why this is happening. As I have said earlier, my TV is able to automatically detect and adjust to all other digital inputs so that this distortion does not occur. Cant understand why the YouView box is blocking this.
  • edited 15 January 2013, 10:21AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Hmm, I don't have a 4:3 TV to test this on but I wonder if this is something specific to the TalkTalk box rather than the YouView software?

As I understand it, the drivers/code that run the SCART and HDMI connections is the responsibility of the box makers and not YouView. Do you know anyone with a Humax box you could try on your TV?

If that doesn't show the same issue you might at least have a stick with which t o beat TalkTalk.
    edited 15 January 2013, 10:26AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

I don't I'm afraid. When I have the energy again I'll go back to Talk Talk, possibly through the ISPA and Ofcom, as they haven't dealt with the issue adequately. But if you hear of any other cases or have the ability to test it out could you keep me informed please? Ta
  • edited 15 January 2013, 10:32AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

More than happy to :-)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Martin1 said:

Serious q.

Sally, your TV was quite incapable of adjusting to fit those other digital receivers; what you were seeing was those receivers adjusting to fit your TV.

And your TV, alas, is quite unusually incapable, even for 1999 :-(

I have a couple of old analogue 4:3 sets, including a 14" Nokia, that have a 16:9 button that will show widescreen programmes in the correct aspect ratio.

This necessitates black bars top and bottom, and the picture is rather small on a 14" TV, of course, but the sets can do it. And Nokia stopped making TVs in 1996, so this set is at least 3 years older than yours, if not more.

Plugged into the YV box via SCART, and with 16:9 enabled, it's fine, if small - roughly equivalent to a 13" widescreen TV.

Choosing a 4:3 programme, off Dave say, gives black bars at the sides as well as top and bottom, but it's still the correct aspect ratio, if a little too small to watch comfortably - the equivalent of a 10.5" 4:3 TV - and rather missing the point of the set being 4:3 in the first place.

If your TV had a 16:9 button, you'd get an 18.5" equivalent widescreen picture, and a 15" equivalent 4:3 picture.

But it hasn't, so you get 16:9 squashed into 12:9 (4:3) and 4:3 squashed into 9:9 (3:3).

The bad news is likely to be that even if YouView relent and allow 4:3 programming through as 4:3, pleasing stretchyvision fans with 16:9 sets everywhere, then even though your 4:3 pictures would then be OK, your 16:9 ones will still be squashed up.

To deal with this, YouView would have to add processing specifically for 4:3 sets that don't have a 16:9 mode. That is, not just for 4:3 sets in general, but for what is probably a dwindling few like yours.

So YouView allowing 4:3 through will solved your extreme squashed 4:3 problem, but your lesser one of squashed 16:9 is likely to remain.

And here's my contribution to the stretchyvision debate; handy-dandy button badges you can cut out and wear to show which side you are on:-

https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net...

Sally, you are excused, as your problem is quite different to the general issue here :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • JeebJeeb Member Posts: 12
    edited 20 January 2013, 6:23PM
    Keith,

hope I haven't missed this from your list but as others have mentioned in the forum a genre search would be well received. Ideal for me would be a consistent use of genres in search filters, EPG and recorded programs.

Showing the movie icon as in #8 could be extended to show kids,sport, entertainment,factual etc genres either using colour codes or icons.

Recorded programs could be given the same genre visuals or even allowing an optional grouping by genre.

If the same genre categorisations were implemented as filters in the search criteria I think this would flow very nicely.

From your existing list above the EPG and search related items are most relevant for me, cheers!
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Jeeb - I've now added an item 91 that aims to pick up utilisation and consistent use of genre information. If I've not got it quite right just let me know and I can extend/adjust/rework it etc as appropriate :)
  • JeebJeeb Member Posts: 12
    edited 20 January 2013, 9:43PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Jeeb - I've now added an item 91 that aims to pick up utilisation and consistent use of genre information. If I've not got it quite right just let me know and I can extend/adjust/rework it etc as appropriate :)

Perfect, cheers Keith!
  • Eliott LangtonEliott Langton Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Having had my box for a couple of days, I have to 'complain' about the following which are also covered in the start post of this thread

Forced 4:3 with black bars - I have an old plasma, great picture but suffers from temporary 'picture memory'. I have for the past 7 years used Panasonic and Humax receivers which all gave out the picture to the TV in the original ratio via HDMI. 4:3 was set (on the TV not the receiver) to 'justify' which gives more stretching to the side than the centre of the picture. BUT the Youview ONLY gives out a 16:9 signal, 4:3 are padded at the sides to 16:9. Very annoying when you change from a 4:3 to 16:9 and you have darker bands on the 16:9 picture for 5 minutes until this part of the screen warms back up again. I know, I should buy a new TV to suit the box and I should watch 4:3 as 4:3, but the TV was £2000 back then and I'm kind of attached to it and I've got used to watching 1970s programs with overweight actors :P

Search - only searches programs recorded or available for on demand viewing. It does not appear to search the next 7 days

Multiple guides. Why can't the pay channels and the 'TalkTalk Gift TV' channels appear with the main guide ?

Recording folders. I can't believe this does not exist. I have 218 recordings on my Humax all in just 12 folders.

Youtube player. Used this a lot on the Humax. It has internet connection but no Youtube player !

LoveFilm - free from TalkTalk, BUT I have to play them from another device !

Volume on HD channels is too high if set to surround via optical, can there not be a user control on volume setting for stereo and surround to balance them ?

Volume on iPlayer - How loud is this !!!!!!

Cannot stream to the box from PC or iPod or the TalkTalk router with built in media server (when a HDD is plugged into it)

USB port is not assigned for customer use

Cannot set box as a DNLA server

No manual tune

Cannot renumber channels ( would be nice to have 1 3 4 as the HD channels )

If watching an SD channel and the program is available in HD there is not a prompt (e.g Press OK for HD as the Humax does)

Do not appear to get the 'book program with green button' that we have with the HUMAX and Panasonic

.... just a start of a list, I have only had the box since yesterday ;)
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 26 January 2013, 7:44PM

Having had my box for a couple of days, I have to 'complain' about the following which are also covered in the start post of this thread

Forced 4:3 with black bars - I have an old plasma, great picture but suffers from temporary 'picture memory'. I have for the past 7 years used Panasonic and Humax receivers which all gave out the picture to the TV in the original ratio via HDMI. 4:3 was set (on the TV not the receiver) to 'justify' which gives more stretching to the side than the centre of the picture. BUT the Youview ONLY gives out a 16:9 signal, 4:3 are padded at the sides to 16:9. Very annoying when you change from a 4:3 to 16:9 and you have darker bands on the 16:9 picture for 5 minutes until this part of the screen warms back up again. I know, I should buy a new TV to suit the box and I should watch 4:3 as 4:3, but the TV was £2000 back then and I'm kind of attached to it and I've got used to watching 1970s programs with overweight actors :P

Search - only searches programs recorded or available for on demand viewing. It does not appear to search the next 7 days

Multiple guides. Why can't the pay channels and the 'TalkTalk Gift TV' channels appear with the main guide ?

Recording folders. I can't believe this does not exist. I have 218 recordings on my Humax all in just 12 folders.

Youtube player. Used this a lot on the Humax. It has internet connection but no Youtube player !

LoveFilm - free from TalkTalk, BUT I have to play them from another device !

Volume on HD channels is too high if set to surround via optical, can there not be a user control on volume setting for stereo and surround to balance them ?

Volume on iPlayer - How loud is this !!!!!!

Cannot stream to the box from PC or iPod or the TalkTalk router with built in media server (when a HDD is plugged into it)

USB port is not assigned for customer use

Cannot set box as a DNLA server

No manual tune

Cannot renumber channels ( would be nice to have 1 3 4 as the HD channels )

If watching an SD channel and the program is available in HD there is not a prompt (e.g Press OK for HD as the Humax does)

Do not appear to get the 'book program with green button' that we have with the HUMAX and Panasonic

.... just a start of a list, I have only had the box since yesterday ;)

Tell us something new.