Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests

Comments

• PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 26 January 2013, 7:46PM

Having had my box for a couple of days, I have to 'complain' about the following which are also covered in the start post of this thread

Forced 4:3 with black bars - I have an old plasma, great picture but suffers from temporary 'picture memory'. I have for the past 7 years used Panasonic and Humax receivers which all gave out the picture to the TV in the original ratio via HDMI. 4:3 was set (on the TV not the receiver) to 'justify' which gives more stretching to the side than the centre of the picture. BUT the Youview ONLY gives out a 16:9 signal, 4:3 are padded at the sides to 16:9. Very annoying when you change from a 4:3 to 16:9 and you have darker bands on the 16:9 picture for 5 minutes until this part of the screen warms back up again. I know, I should buy a new TV to suit the box and I should watch 4:3 as 4:3, but the TV was £2000 back then and I'm kind of attached to it and I've got used to watching 1970s programs with overweight actors :P

Search - only searches programs recorded or available for on demand viewing. It does not appear to search the next 7 days

Multiple guides. Why can't the pay channels and the 'TalkTalk Gift TV' channels appear with the main guide ?

Recording folders. I can't believe this does not exist. I have 218 recordings on my Humax all in just 12 folders.

Youtube player. Used this a lot on the Humax. It has internet connection but no Youtube player !

LoveFilm - free from TalkTalk, BUT I have to play them from another device !

Volume on HD channels is too high if set to surround via optical, can there not be a user control on volume setting for stereo and surround to balance them ?

Volume on iPlayer - How loud is this !!!!!!

Cannot stream to the box from PC or iPod or the TalkTalk router with built in media server (when a HDD is plugged into it)

USB port is not assigned for customer use

Cannot set box as a DNLA server

No manual tune

Cannot renumber channels ( would be nice to have 1 3 4 as the HD channels )

If watching an SD channel and the program is available in HD there is not a prompt (e.g Press OK for HD as the Humax does)

Do not appear to get the 'book program with green button' that we have with the HUMAX and Panasonic

.... just a start of a list, I have only had the box since yesterday ;)

gomez -Be careful what you wish for.
  • edited 26 January 2013, 8:10PM

Having had my box for a couple of days, I have to 'complain' about the following which are also covered in the start post of this thread

Forced 4:3 with black bars - I have an old plasma, great picture but suffers from temporary 'picture memory'. I have for the past 7 years used Panasonic and Humax receivers which all gave out the picture to the TV in the original ratio via HDMI. 4:3 was set (on the TV not the receiver) to 'justify' which gives more stretching to the side than the centre of the picture. BUT the Youview ONLY gives out a 16:9 signal, 4:3 are padded at the sides to 16:9. Very annoying when you change from a 4:3 to 16:9 and you have darker bands on the 16:9 picture for 5 minutes until this part of the screen warms back up again. I know, I should buy a new TV to suit the box and I should watch 4:3 as 4:3, but the TV was £2000 back then and I'm kind of attached to it and I've got used to watching 1970s programs with overweight actors :P

Search - only searches programs recorded or available for on demand viewing. It does not appear to search the next 7 days

Multiple guides. Why can't the pay channels and the 'TalkTalk Gift TV' channels appear with the main guide ?

Recording folders. I can't believe this does not exist. I have 218 recordings on my Humax all in just 12 folders.

Youtube player. Used this a lot on the Humax. It has internet connection but no Youtube player !

Volume on HD channels is too high if set to surround via optical, can there not be a user control on volume setting for stereo and surround to balance them ?

Cannot stream to the box from PC or iPod or the TalkTalk router with built in media server (when a HDD is plugged into it)

No manual tune

If watching an SD channel and the program is available in HD there is not a prompt (e.g Press OK for HD as the Humax does)

Do not appear to get the 'book program with green button' that we have with the HUMAX and Panasonic

Hi Elliott

>> Search - only searches programs recorded or available for on demand viewing. It does not appear to search the next 7 days

This is now available in the latest software update which should come shortly to TalkTalk boxes.

>> Multiple guides. Why can't the pay channels and the 'TalkTalk Gift TV' channels appear with the main guide ?

Based on past comments from YouView staff on this forum, the channels provided by the ISPs via broadband will be added to the main guide later this year and will be recordable.

TalkTalk decided to offer them ahead of this feature being added to the YouVIew service and so had to make them available via the TalkTalk player.

>> Do not appear to get the 'book program with green button' that we have with the HUMAX and Panasonic

The 'book me' is broadcast by the channels themselves, it certainly appears on my retail YouView box and I've used it on a number of occasions.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 26 January 2013, 8:17PM

No manual tune

@aisha it works better if you apply a double negative to my wish. ;)
    edited 26 January 2013, 8:18PM

No manual tune

:-)
  • Eliott LangtonEliott Langton Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 January 2013, 8:51PM

No manual tune

Thank you Martin for your reply and clarifications, much appreciated :)
  • Edward HaddonEdward Haddon Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 February 2013, 2:26PM
    Hi I am not a trialist I am a user and it seems silly that I cannot have the HD channels as my first channels I spent a lot of money so I could have HD TV and I would like those channels to be first on my list, I am happy for there channel numbers to stay 101 102 103 etc. I don't need them re numbering which would cause update issues and that is not what most people are asking for, I would just like to move them to the top.
    I would also really like to move shopping channels to the bottom as I do not use them but my wife occasionally does so it's no use hiding them.
    As for other wishes, what would be really cool is if I could get the normal channel EPG and the pay for broadband bases channel EPG supplied by my IP as one EPG rather than two separate EPG as it takes forever to start up the paid for channels and you miss the end of one program or the start of another waiting for the switch to happen.
    My last wish is that I can record or time slip the paid for channels as this would put the box on an even foot holds as the SKY HD + boxes
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Member Posts: 57
    edited 3 February 2013, 10:33PM
    I was surprised when they started their advertising campaign. I did take the box on trial and quite honestly, if they were to send a courier with a cardboard box to return it in, I wouldn't be terribly sad.

My old DVR is years old and still works better than Youview although it doesn't do HD and I have to use a PC though to view iPlayer.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    >>My old DVR is years old and still works better than Youview although it doesn't do HD and I have to use a PC though to view iPlayer. <<

So apart from not being HD and not providing iPlayer (and other catch-up services, presumably), how else is it "better?"
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Member Posts: 57
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    It always records programs, doesn't have a freeze mode and doesn't need massive amounts of reboots - it also "boots up" in only a few seconds. It is reliable and quick.
  • edited 3 February 2013, 9:18PM

It always records programs, doesn't have a freeze mode and doesn't need massive amounts of reboots - it also "boots up" in only a few seconds. It is reliable and quick.

Wrh the exception of the boot time, that sounds like my YouView box.
  • TV UserTV User Member Posts: 4
    edited 5 February 2013, 2:03PM

Letter-boxing is a seriously bad "feature".

when an internet browser will be added
  • Nigel MercierNigel Mercier Member Posts: 47
    edited 29 October 2014, 12:14PM
    "Channel list management - hiding channels, reordering the channel list and favourites channel lists"

A user ordered Favourite channel list would be perfect, I spend must of my time scrolling up and down to the HD channels, as the "This programme is also available in HD" doesn't always work.
    edited 14 February 2013, 3:00PM
    Perhaps time to repeat the tip that the quickest and easiest way to get to the first HD channel in the EPG no matter where you currently are is to hit 99.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 9 March 2015, 6:43AM
    Hi Keith,

Couldn't see this one in your list - apologies if it's already been suggested!

Just looking into getting a Youview box (previously owned a Topfield that has just bought the farm) but the issue of missed recording ending is a big issue in my mind. To depend on "Accurate Recording" to be accurate all the time is a rather naive viewpoint as these things are great on paper but to get multiple providers to get it right 100% of the time is stretching it a bit. This is why I installed a 3rd party TAP (replacement UI) on our Topfield PVR that had auto padding as standard - along with many other features.

For Youview I would *highly* recommend implementing intelligent auto padding:
    a) Rather than forcing the user to manually pad out everytime if it's a show they don'y want to miss the ending off - surely this is ALL the shows that you record, otherwise why record them if you're not bothered about catching the end?
    b) Default to 2 mins before start time and 5 mins after end time. User can modify these settings or turn it off entirely.
    c) Only auto pad if there is no scheduled recording before or after the scheduled times. Otherwise use the EPG start/end times as youview normally does.
    Hi Keith,

Another one for the pot :)

Can YouView enable the USB ports so that they can play media stored on them (using the open source multimedia player VideoLAN for example). This would make the machine a one-stop shop for all media and would help non-technical users like my dad view family videos and slideshows.
  • Andrew MarlowAndrew Marlow Member Posts: 65
    edited 9 February 2013, 7:50AM

I bet his old DVR doesn't clip recordings either.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Nick - Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the death of your Topfield.

The item in the list that picks up intelligent padding is item 22. The one that picks up accessing and playing material from USB connected devices is item 36. I've added more references to the padding item (which brings it into line with the similar item on clipped recordings in the companion bugs/issue list) and also extended the text to make it clearer :)
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 9 February 2013, 10:25AM
    Nick4 said:

Hi Keith,

Couldn't see this one in your list - apologies if it's already been suggested!

Just looking into getting a Youview box (previously owned a Topfield that has just bought the farm) but the issue of missed recording ending is a big issue in my mind. To depend on "Accurate Recording" to be accurate all the time is a rather naive viewpoint as these things are great on paper but to get multiple providers to get it right 100% of the time is stretching it a bit. This is why I installed a 3rd party TAP (replacement UI) on our Topfield PVR that had auto padding as standard - along with many other features.

For Youview I would *highly* recommend implementing intelligent auto padding:
    a) Rather than forcing the user to manually pad out everytime if it's a show they don'y want to miss the ending off - surely this is ALL the shows that you record, otherwise why record them if you're not bothered about catching the end?
    b) Default to 2 mins before start time and 5 mins after end time. User can modify these settings or turn it off entirely.
    c) Only auto pad if there is no scheduled recording before or after the scheduled times. Otherwise use the EPG start/end times as youview normally does.

Off topic, but see https://sites.google.com/site/juwlzto... before you write off your Toppy.
    Are there plans/suggestions for the live tv EPG to be stored on the hard drive rather than loaded every time into memory? Would make scanning it a lot faster and could be scheduled every night at the same time as the system update check. An option to turn this off would be available of course. :)
  • edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Hi Nick

If the box did stored the EPG in that way it would no longer be able to pick up schedule changes or know of late runnings and users would therefore suffer more missed or clipped recordings.

A downloaded EPG is a pretty poor idea all round IMO and users on platforms that have one - such as Virgin Media's TiVo - are desperate for the sort of live, dynamic EPG we enjoy.
    edited 13 February 2013, 10:08AM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Nick

If the box did stored the EPG in that way it would no longer be able to pick up schedule changes or know of late runnings and users would therefore suffer more missed or clipped recordings.

A downloaded EPG is a pretty poor idea all round IMO and users on platforms that have one - such as Virgin Media's TiVo - are desperate for the sort of live, dynamic EPG we enjoy.

Woulld be sometimes useful to have the published EPG info for the week *after* the current week downloaded though. Replaced day by day by the broadcast info as it hoves into view.
    Martin1 said:

Hi Nick

Hi Martin,

I see your point its just that I've had the facility on my Toppy PVRs for the past 10 years with no problems. Possible solution would be a background process that updates the stored EPG?
  • edited 13 February 2013, 11:32AM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Nick

Well the YouView box is a more modern offering than the 'Toppy' and uses broadcaster sent data for the EPG which also triggers the recordings.

I see no need to make the box less capable by storing data which can easily become out of date on the hard drive rather than using the live feed from the broadcasters.

It's a backwards step which I hope YouView never implement.

As for having "a background process that updates the stored EPG" - why complicate things by having to update data that simply doesn't need storing in the first place?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Nick

I support Nick's idea of a stored EPG with a background update process. It means instant access to a stored EPG with no delays, whilst also providing the necessary accuracy. In fact, presumably the EPG MUST be checked in background anyway, otherwise, if it was only accessed by the box when it was on view, schedule changes between EPG viewings would be missed by recordings. Admittedly, it would only save a marginal amount of time, but anything that makes the box slicker compared to other offerings would be worth it, IMHO.
  • edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Does anybody know what actually causes the slow response when loading a new EPG page? The amount of data downloaded is very small. The box also does some quite clever checks to compare this data with your recordings list.
    In any case this is a bit of an academic discussion. There's an awful lot of problems to be fixed and features requested before we start redesigning how the EPG works. :-)
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM
    gwatuk said:

Does anybody know what actually causes the slow response when loading a new EPG page? The amount of data downloaded is very small. The box also does some quite clever checks to compare this data with your recordings list.
    In any case this is a bit of an academic discussion. There's an awful lot of problems to be fixed and features requested before we start redesigning how the EPG works. :-)

Totally agree with you, gwatuk. However, I felt it important to register my views, given the fact that others were doing the same. Changing the way the EPG works would be WAY down my list .... :-)
    edited 13 February 2013, 2:54PM
    gwatuk said:

I second that. It seems to me the priority for Humax ought to be fixing the boot failures.
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 13 February 2013, 11:00PM
    gwatuk said:

I agree that making the EPG perform better is not the highest priority - however whilst boot failures are important - they don't effect everyone - I've (luckily) never had such a problem on my Huawei box.

I must be possible (and is in fact IT industry standard practice in many areas for handling large amounts of data that would otherwise cause performance issues) to store EPG data, update that daily as a background process and / or overnight, leaving daily updates of programme changes only to be retrieved on a more regular basis and if necessary checked when the EPG is loaded. All that is needed is to poll for a list of the updated data that needs retrieving, and then only download that data - which may be zero data if there has been no changes. That does suppose that the broadcasters supply such information, though if not, a central Youview server could do the hardwork and supply the "delta" listing of data that needs updating (assuming that did not break agreements with broadcasters).
    edited 13 February 2013, 11:10PM
    gwatuk said:

I think the boot failures only happen on the Humax boxes. I'm supposing, indeed hoping, that that will add to the urgency for Humax to fix it.
    Martin1 said:

Hi Nick

Martin - Thank you for that wonderful warm welcome you gave me yesterday to this forum. I particularly liked the way that you called my very first idea topic regarding the EPG a "daft idea"... You're a little ray of sunshine my fine man and the world would be a darker place without you....

We are all passionate about the YV box - hence our active posts in this forum - but please can you ease off the sarcasm pedal when replying to people's posts as it doesn't help matters at all and just alienates people. For the record I have over 25 years of IT development under my belt and have worked on multiple operating systems, UI designs and ecommerce/ebusiness solutions for large multi-national companies so give me a little credit.

The EPG Guide screen of all PVRs is the single most used screen of all and any lag or delay in displaying information quickly becomes annoying in users eyes. The YV guide *does* lag and considering that the machine is a more modern offering as you say I was suprised (JAN-13 update has helped speed it up a little). However there are far more pressing issues for the YV development team to sort out first with stability and freezing - a minor one for me is auto padding of the timers to avoid missing programme ends..

BTW It's a great PVR and is miles better that anything else on the market at the moment! Can't see me going back to Topfield or Sky..