Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests

Comments

• Pauline RedRosesPauline RedRoses Member Posts: 6
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Forgive me if I didn't see it, but the Internet settings could test the internet with a speed check, instead of just "connected". Most on demand services like a 3 meg download speed and the player should show the quality of the internet connection.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 19 February 2013, 9:19AM

Forgive me if I didn't see it, but the Internet settings could test the internet with a speed check, instead of just "connected". Most on demand services like a 3 meg download speed and the player should show the quality of the internet connection.

Not sure yet another speedtester is need when there are already loads of good ones people can use.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM

Agree with you, gomez - but don't forget that this box is also meant for Mrs Trellis from North Wales, who may not be a whizz-kid on the interweb ....

I believe most Tech Support have the ability to check your speed, but I still think it would be a sensible thing for the box to do - even in the background - just to keep an eye on things, so that any problems in this area can be easily identified. After all, the connection to the internet, and the speed, is an integral part of the YV offering.

I think Pauline's idea has legs, but I would go further and say that if there were a speed-test run, the results should be given in a way that gives a 'relative' speed, linked to the minimum required for a good response (on the basis that telling Mrs Trellis she has a speed of 4 meg may mean nothing to her), as well as displaying the raw speed figure. Possibly give a simple 'under', 'OK', or 'over' indication, possibly on a bar, which also shows an indication of the required minimum via an arrow/pointer in the middle. And of course, then you would need to provide advice on this information screen telling the user WHAT this information actually means, and what, if anything, they need to do - e.g. in the case of a low speed, speak to their provider to say they need a minimum speed of X meg etc. It would also make sense for the test to optionally be re-scheduled periodically during box 'quiet times' to keep an eye on your speed, the results being stored and available in the System pages.

I would also have thought this information would have been invaluable to have available when consulting support, as well.
    edited 19 February 2013, 10:58AM

I think BBC iPlayer auto-detects your line speed and suggest if it is up to handling its HQ streams. On a computer anyway if not on AV equipment.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM

Yes, I think I have experienced this. But, like you, not sure what checking is done via YV. Not noticed anything yet (unless I missed it) that suggests checking is done. I have, on one occasion, experienced regular pauses with the rotating circle when playing back On Demand content, which I assumed was caused by me playing the programme at peak time, when the internet was heavily used by others. It only happened once, and my provider has since doubled my speed for free, so I have had no such issues recently!
  • woodsmanukwoodsmanuk Member Posts: 34
    edited 20 February 2013, 10:44AM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Nick

If the box did stored the EPG in that way it would no longer be able to pick up schedule changes or know of late runnings and users would therefore suffer more missed or clipped recordings.

A downloaded EPG is a pretty poor idea all round IMO and users on platforms that have one - such as Virgin Media's TiVo - are desperate for the sort of live, dynamic EPG we enjoy.

Perhaps the box could hold a checksum for the epg data and then only refresh the data when changes are detected.

The ios app also exhibits this annoying habit. Compare the YV app with say the bbc radio player epg. The bbc app far superior.
  • bbstrikesagainbbstrikesagain Member Posts: 48
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    89, 2, 58

NB, whether I like to see distorted images or otherwise, my TV user manual says:

YV should not be recommended to plasma users until 89 is addressed.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM

89, 2, 58

NB, whether I like to see distorted images or otherwise, my TV user manual says:

I read:-

http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasma...

Which explains what screen burn is (over-used plasma cells), and then, without missing a beat, goes on to endorse the above.

But a black cell is an unused cell. So how can it be implicated in screen burn?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 25 March 2013, 11:07PM

89, 2, 58

The sub-pixels phosphors in the black bar areas will stay fresh as a daisy, but the phosphors in the 4:3 area will be gradually wearing out and losing efficacy faster than the sidebars.

Eventually, back on full screen material, what were the 4:3 black sidebars might well become visibly brighter picture areas, which would be rather annoying.

Some "image retention" occurs, and clears again, in hours or minutes, but "burn" is permanent degradation of the phosphor. Newer plasma TVs are reputedly less prone, but the above is from a top of the range 2012 TX-P50VT50 - would you chance it?

Clearly YouView is not safe for use with plasma until it has the aspect ratio controls that adorn practically every other STB...
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 26 March 2013, 12:29AM

89, 2, 58

i havent followed this issue in this thread but id wish bbstrikesagain would post this in the threads that deal with this issue to stfu some nosy people

89, 2, 58

I guess then your top-of-the-range plasma isn't safe for watching true widescreen movies, with black bars top and bottom, either?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Colin NowellColin Nowell Member Posts: 126
    edited 20 December 2016, 9:53AM

89, 2, 58

I was thinking just the same thing...

89, 2, 58

Madcotto, who is being nosy in those threads? None of them are private, after all.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM

89, 2, 58

I took it to be a typo and should have said noisy, i.e. it would be useful information for people on the other thread to understand that in some situations stretchyvision is stated by manufacturers as important.

89, 2, 58

Edit is Madcotto's friend :-)

But any TV whose maker tells me "Sorry, but if you want to watch these programmes on our TV, you have to watch them in a **** way" is not a TV I would want to buy.
  • woodsmanukwoodsmanuk Member Posts: 34
    edited 26 March 2013, 10:44AM

89, 2, 58

I have a panny plasma and use it with all types of inputs; PC, YV, Xbox, cbb's, stills & dvd's.
    It copes fine with the abuse and only show image retention for a minute of two when you change image types. No screen burn.

Our tv is nearly 6 yrs old and still gives a GOOD image with great blacks and no motion smear.
    edited 26 March 2013, 12:03PM

89, 2, 58

Colin, Roy, yes perhaps it isn't safe, and certainly I avoided true anamorphic 2.35:1 for a while while the display was new, but the TV and BD/DVD/HDR have options for expanding with, or without distortion, so you can, if you wish to, observe the manufacturer's instruction, filling the screen. The sets also offer light grey sidebar options for those who insist on accurate 4:3 viewing but want to mitigate the risk of Image retention.

Not so with the YV box that. It outputs 4:3 within a 16:9 format full frame. The fixed black sidebars (and/or full width menus) are unfortunately fully integrated as if they were part of the original video stream. The YV box insists on presenting it this ways, as if the director actually shot scenes that all included two big blackboards in the shot...

Most TVs assume that the HDMI already has the correct content format, so it is generally presented as is - c/w those built-in sidebars. As far as the TV knows they are part of the image! For sure the TV manufacture's could have second guessed the YV omission and added additional manual clip and zoom controls to cope, but they're not needed for other STBs. I suppose the set makers didn't have a crystal ball and didn't expect YV's unusual approach.

YV could, and IMO should, have included modes where it either outputs true 4:3 and lets the TV choose how to present it, or performs strechyvision. For good measures it could even let you choose the colour of the sidebars.

For what it's worth plasma's superb CRT like total freedom for viewing angle foibles, unparalleled tonal accuracy, and great motion, make it all worthwhile, even outweighing the occasional bit of dynamic false contouring and horizontal line bleed.

Woodsmanuk, thank you, that's reassuring to know.

Keith, yes, I guess the other thread would be the place for some of this, but it seemed rather diluted by endless arguments between folk who are unwilling or unable to understand the validity of each other's preferences. I might weigh in.
  • Colin NowellColin Nowell Member Posts: 126
    edited 20 December 2016, 9:53AM

89, 2, 58

When you explain it all like that, makes perfect sense and actually, the "light grey sidebar" option provided by your oem sounds like an excellent solution for the purists among us (of which, I have to admit, I'm one ;-) and would at least mitigate the risk somewhat... Now, if only I could afford a plasma! :-)
  • John BakerJohn Baker Member Posts: 2
    edited 29 March 2013, 11:19AM
    How do I delete an incorrectly scheduled recording on the EPG screen?
    Found it! No thanks to the manual, I have similar machines (Humax-Sony).
    edited 29 March 2013, 11:19AM

How do I delete an incorrectly scheduled recording on the EPG screen?
    Found it! No thanks to the manual, I have similar machines (Humax-Sony).

For the benefit of other users the answer is to press the Record button again and choose the Cancel Recording option.

(John, you are not helping yourself by posting random questions in random threads)
    edited 29 March 2013, 7:04PM

89, 2, 58

Oh yes, and even hooking up via SCART doesn't sort it either - as the SCART output is padded out with black sidebars too (Huawei DN370T)

89, 2, 58

Yes, but you can usually persuade your TV to adjust a SCART picture, whereas it's a bit set in stone with HDMI.
    edited 30 March 2013, 8:16PM

89, 2, 58

SUre, you can adjust, just like you can with HDMI, but you can't successfully strip the sidebars without cropping the height too, at least not on my 2012 Panasonic. Think about it, what other device would output 4:3 in a 16:9 frame via SCART? Why would a TV expect to have to strip away the sides of a raw incoming video signal?

The whole try-the-SCART thing is a red herring, it is not the solution, I know, I have tried it!
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM

89, 2, 58

Have you got any other STB that is a different coloured fish?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    bbstrikesagain 37 minutes ago
    SUre, you can adjust, just like you can with HDMI, but you can't successfully strip the sidebars without cropping the height too, at least not on my 2012 Panasonic. Think about it, what other device would output 4:3 in a 16:9 frame via SCART? Why would a TV expect to have to strip away the sides of a raw incoming video signal?

The whole try-the-SCART thing is a red herring, it is not the solution, I know, I have tried it!
    Is this now a hijacked strecthyvision thread mark 2? Or a thread for a list of requested improvements and features?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 6 April 2013, 12:20AM
    Nick4 said:

Hi Keith,

Another one for the pot :)

Can YouView enable the USB ports so that they can play media stored on them (using the open source multimedia player VideoLAN for example). This would make the machine a one-stop shop for all media and would help non-technical users like my dad view family videos and slideshows.

Nick,

You do realise that you are asking for something that is in the YouView base specification as published in 2011?

Mind you some of us are asking for a PVR that can actually be used as a PVR in terms of recording things that you have scheduled.
  • AlanDayAlanDay Member Posts: 7
    edited 6 April 2013, 12:44PM
    The ability to download 'record' on demand content or buffer it to watch without annoying stop, start, stop even though my broad band is supposedly up to it and never had such issue with BT vision - buffering/downloading in background would remove most of the annoyance - preventing me watching / purchasing things at the minute (perhaps a talk talk issue rather than youview)
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Following on from the discussion on this other topic about running a survey for people to comparatively rate some of the ideas gathered together in this topic I have pulled together some survey questions which gwatuk has kindly put in to an online survey at

http://www.youviewupdate.co.uk/survey...

Whilst the full consolidated list of improvements and feature requests currently has 96 items, the survey has intentionally been kept short at just 15 questions.

The features picked out are those that are largely viable from the current state of development without reliance on changes to or input from external services. Whilst I would personally particularly like to see some (say about half) of these features it is not a list of what I want but rather a list that aims to pick up a cross section of the most popular and most discussed ideas on the forum etc, or ones that have the potential to make a more rounded product for the benefit of many in due course. I've not included any mention of improvements to the mobile app since they will have Android and Windows versions in due course and almost certainly develop remote control of the box via the app in due course.

As mentioned on the other topic (rolled up within the comments) I do have a second set of potential survey questions based on more ideas from this topic which are possibly less key items (or at least ones that did not quite make it into the first batch of 15 questions anyway) but that would be nice touches to give a more polished/rounded product. So depending on how this first survey goes gwatuk and I may make another one available in due course.

Looking further ahead hopefully a YouView forum system will directly support surveys and polls (not to mention sticky posts and other useful features) which may make it easier for more people to give richer comparative feedback ratings on ideas for development.

Of course any results of such surveys are still only likely to represent the views of a small proportion of YouView customers, and at best represents their wish list, and it remains up to YouView as to what they develop, when and why (and of course YouView no doubt already have a development roadmap that they are following although it may evolve over time).
  • Steve ThackerySteve Thackery Member Posts: 13
    edited 9 April 2017, 7:36PM
    Despite the change in October 2012, Suggestion 10 still hasn't been adequately addressed.

We already have one-click access to the Guide using the 'Guide' button, so it's daft that the 'Y' button menu comes up with 'Guide' highlighted.

I suggest that the 'Y' button brings up the menu with 'MyView' highlighted, instead.

Thus we would have one-click access to the Guide (press 'Guide'), and two-click access to our recordings 'Y', 'OK'.
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Steve - as you say a small change like that would seem most welcome. Such a change has been discussed/asked for on the topic that item 10 above links to

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

but so far no further changes have been made. There is a software update expected in the next few weeks so maybe they will have a further change at that point. For those of us with Logitech Harmony remotes we fortunately now have a remote code to go straight to the recordings list so can configure a button to go straight to the listing but that is not much help for most people.