Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Well the short survey announced above that gwatuk and I put together has now run for a little over 3 weeks.

In that time about 140 people have given their weighted votes for the different features. I noted above 'any results of such surveys are still only likely to represent the views of a small proportion of YouView customers, and at best represents their wish list, and it remains up to YouView as to what they develop, when and why (and of course YouView no doubt already have a development roadmap that they are following although it may evolve over time)'.

Putting the vote in to some sort of context, with 140 people voting that represents only about 5% of the community forum members, in turn the forum only has about 3000 members and that is now likely to account for only about 0.5-1% of all YouView customers. Whilst such a small sample size (i.e. 140 people out of say 500000 customers) could still contain a good cross section of people and hence be representative of the customer base as a whole it is more likely that those that have completed the survey are likely to under represent certain types of customer who potentially make up a significant proportion of the customer base. Nevertheless provided people do not try to over analyse the results or read too much in to them it can still be interesting to see what those people think and the relative merits they see within the different ideas.

As a quick summary if one ranks the surveyed ideas by their weighted votes then they come out in the order

5 = recording from buffer
    7b = intelligent dynamic padding
    9b = USB backup/export
    8a = DLNA client
    9a = USB playback/import
    8b = DLNA server
    3 = duration column
    6 = on demand list filters
    7c = manual recording
    2a = EPG programme grid improvements
    2b = EPG synopsis display
    1 = channel reordering
    4 = undelete function
    7a = simple padding
    10 = manual tuning

As I have mentioned above we do have a second potential set of survey question so may well make those available soon for a bit more voting fun for those that wish to do so. More generally I can imagine how in the future YouView would run a more comprehensive customer survey directly to help inform them directly from a wider cross section of customers as to their views and desires.
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Member Posts: 57
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    So Youview is still in beta test whilst other manufacturers have fully finished products for at least a year and are undercutting Youview substantially on the price front.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM

So Youview is still in beta test whilst other manufacturers have fully finished products for at least a year and are undercutting Youview substantially on the price front.

And the ones who have a backward EPG are....?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 9 May 2013, 9:46AM

Don't know, don't really care.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM

Just venting, then?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 12 May 2013, 1:24PM
    Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on other threads, but has anyone noticed the posts from Youview on Twitter in the last few days? In response to a few questions they did public replies which suggested that the Android App is extremely imminent, and also cryptically suggested that things like netflix were on the way soon too...
    edited 12 May 2013, 1:15PM
    Matt F said:

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on other threads, but has anyone noticed the posts from Youview on Twitter in the last few days? In response to a few questions they did public replies which suggested that the Android App is extremely imminent, and also cryptically suggested that things like netflix were on the way soon too...

Question.. Antony Venet ‏@antonyvenet 10 May

When are we getting an #android app @YouView ? You're taking your time!
    edited 12 May 2013, 1:16PM
    Matt F said:

Answer: YouView ‏@YouView 10 May

Soon @antonyvenet, oh so very soon. ;-)
    edited 12 May 2013, 1:24PM
    Matt F said:

ooh thats interesting.. could have sworn late last night reading an actual tweet answering somebodies question on Netflix & Lovefilm. Seems to not be there anymore. Maybe they shared too much and thought better of it. From what I remember it was an actual admission they are coming. Hope so!
    edited 12 May 2013, 1:28PM

Youview will never be finished.
    "Improvements" have taken place at snails pace.
    My Panasonic boots (with EPG) in about 5 seconds - access to the internet takes a sluggish 10 seconds...
    It doesn't have any logos to say it is starting though.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 19 May 2013, 8:42PM
    Kieth,

Just to let you know that I have opened a new idea for manufacturer specific menu items.
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...

I realise it is in the YV base specification - but then so are a good number of the other things on your list.
    Hi Peter - I've adjusted entries 25, 50, 51 and 91 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests to indicate they are likely to be manufacturer specific (i.e. they are dependant on the specific hardware and generally require code at the manufacturer level to facilitate the option/feature) and where they might be an option that it might thus sit in a manufacturer specific menu.
    Thanks Kieth. 74 is also Humax specific as it's their remotes that usually have extra code sets so the default can be changed if it clashes. In fact a Foxsat HDR or a HDR Fox T2 remote has the same default and will operate the T1000 if you spend a little time discovering which of the machine specific buttons send the same commands as the YV (the blue button for example)
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Lbear1 said:

Thanks Kieth. 74 is also Humax specific as it's their remotes that usually have extra code sets so the default can be changed if it clashes. In fact a Foxsat HDR or a HDR Fox T2 remote has the same default and will operate the T1000 if you spend a little time discovering which of the machine specific buttons send the same commands as the YV (the blue button for example)

Item 74 also now adjusted :)
    edited 20 May 2013, 2:54PM

89, 2, 58

NB, whether I like to see distorted images or otherwise, my TV user manual says:

YV should not be recommended to plasma users until 89 is addressed.

Older screens, CRTs and LCDs as well as plasma, could suffer from burn-in. Modern panels are a lot less prone but manufacturers include those warnings to avoid the rare cases where somebody tries to make a warranty claim. I bet nowhere in your manual does it define what a "long period" is.

Not all channels have fully transparent DOGs or station logos as your manual calls them. I just did a quick flick through the SD channels and at least 6 have solid DOGs including Pick TV or transparent DOGs with solid elements like 4/7. If anything these would represent more risk of burn-in.

The BBC News, BBC Parliament and Sky News "tickers" at the bottom of the screen have solid elements which are not affected by the scrolling text or resizing and Sky News' DOG is solid. (The ticker bars on Al Jazeera and RT are transparent).

I presume you never watch those channels even if their programming is all 16:9 to comply with the instructions in your manual?

In practice, there is usually never more than 15-20 minutes before there is a break for either advertising, station idents or weather where the DOGs or tickers are removed or the format changes back to 16:9. Maybe if, for several hours at a time, you played on a games machine or displayed a computer that output in 4:3 you would get burn in. Ordinary TV viewing even when some are watched in 4:3 with bars, represents very negligible to nil risk because of these interruptions.
  • Steve MullinsSteve Mullins Member Posts: 58
    edited 15 January 2017, 7:13PM
    Epg ui

- when recording set / running - top of epg has red line for each recording - so upto 2 red lines on top of the epg / in between date timeline- this to indicate when a recording(s) is happening

Search - option to disable 'now tv' and other platforms in results

Myview - for series recordings option to store in revers order (oldest recording first) and for the 'play' button to automatically play the oldest or newest recording - reducing the amount if clicks

When pressing 'I' on recording' pressing 'play' does nothing - you have to click out or select 'play recording' again, example of too many clicks / not using a logical / intuitive shortcut button..

Youview app - option to have this in high Eco mode - recording is only received by the box once it is turned on again.

Playstation vita - this device has 'remote play' - perhaps an avenue for youview to explore
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 30 May 2013, 5:32PM
    That reminds me. You can't delete a recording when you've opened up the Info view either. Of course, showing info about the highlighted recording at the top of the screen would make both problems go away altogether.

Julie
  • Gordon MGordon M Member Posts: 3
    edited 24 November 2015, 6:13PM
    You view worth it over the Topfield 5810 running mystuff?
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 6 June 2013, 1:30PM
    Gordon M said:

You view worth it over the Topfield 5810 running mystuff?

Let's put it this way: in our house, the (main) Toppy is hooked up to the AV equipment (and therefore can be distributed around the rest of the TVs in the house with the setup that we have) and TV in the lounge, and gets used for all our routine recording and playback. There's a Humax FreeSat box there too, which mostly just gets used for live sport.

My Youview box is in the breakfast room. It gets used occasionally when one of us wants to watch something different from what's on in the lounge (and the on demand features can be useful in that case).

The picture from the YouView box is great, but I wouldn't want to use it as my main PVR. A number of things about the UI drive me mad (although not quite as mad as the Humax did before we installed custom firmware on it).

Of course, MyStuff has spoiled us for pretty much anything else, and many of the things we take for granted in MyStuff (like reordering channels) aren't allowed by the YouView specs.
    As many people will know 2 months ago gwatuk and I created an online survey to allow people to give some further feedback relating to some of the items in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests.

At that time I noted I had a further set of questions that we would likely run for a future survey. Well that time has come and that second survey is now available. The survey is also linked from the main YouView Updates site/page run by gwatuk. As before there are 15 questions and they are based on ideas included within the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests.

As some may be aware YouView has also recently begun further market research. YouView and I have spoken in broad terms about that and its relationship to the two surveys gwatuk and I have created. As noted with our previous survey it only covers a fairly small sample set and it is also quite likely those people are not proportionately representative of the YouView customer base as a whole. Nevertheless the results of these surveys are interesting, YouView are aware of them and will compare and contrast them to their own wider research where appropriate.

So as before we hope to see lots of people voting on the different ideas :)
    The second short survey announced above has now been running for 4 weeks and whilst votes are still coming in the shape of the results has stabilised. As noted with the results of the first survey, with only about 150 responses those voting once again only represent a very small percentage of the total user base (last time I guestimated that would be about 500000 user by now which as we now know is not far off the mark) and that those voting will not necessarily be entirely representative of the wider customer base. Nevertheless, as before, provided people do not try to over analyse the results or read too much in to them it can still be interesting to see what those people think and the relative merits they see within the different ideas.

As a quick summary if one ranks the surveyed ideas by their weighted votes then they come out in the order

11 = show detailed software update info on screen
    3 = grey out temporarily unavailable channels in EPG
    13 = better status/error messages
    5 = automatically join split recordings
    1a = customisable skip lengths
    7 = on-demand bookmarks
    6 = general folders feature
    12a = option to send none 16:9 material direct to TV without borders
    4 = option to set default to series or single record
    9 = on screen keyboard option
    8 = slow-mo and speed view options
    2 = channel logos in EPG
    12b = directly provide stretchyvision options
    1b = skip options on colour keys
    10 = better and more accessibility options

YouView are aware of this and the previous survey and the results as well as their own recent surveys and market research and will no doubt take all such information in to account as appropriate when deciding on priorities for future developments.
  • Steve ArcherSteve Archer Member Posts: 121
    edited 9 August 2013, 7:31PM
    Ithink the biggest thing would be the ability to downlaod on demand programs to your box to watch, this saves all the damn buffering !!!!
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    After dipping into this forum on and off since its launch I am amazed and to be honest shocked at how slow Youview is being improved. I am in the market for a new PVR and am not even sure Youview is worth a look.
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    This list has been hanging out there for a long long time, and yet I don't see any comments from YV on whether they are in-scope, out-of-scope, and if they are in-scope, when they will appear.
    Other than the 'recent' Android app, and some stuff last year, nothing much else has changed

There has been a survey and prioritization based on this, but this is like urinating into a gale if YV have no intention of following up with any of this, and if they do, when it'll ever make it to your box (especially if you are a TalkTalk customer)

So can we please have an official response from YV. Thanks.
  • Mike HMike H Member Posts: 4
    edited 4 September 2013, 9:47AM
    Needed:
    78 Option/functions to manually join/split/crop recordings.
    Plus manual recordings and edit edit start/finish times of EPG listed programmes.

All stuff an ancient Panasonic box does, so why not BT/YV.....
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    Simon12 said:

This list has been hanging out there for a long long time, and yet I don't see any comments from YV on whether they are in-scope, out-of-scope, and if they are in-scope, when they will appear.
    Other than the 'recent' Android app, and some stuff last year, nothing much else has changed

There has been a survey and prioritization based on this, but this is like urinating into a gale if YV have no intention of following up with any of this, and if they do, when it'll ever make it to your box (especially if you are a TalkTalk customer)

It would be nice to see some kind of official response here, as you say its very difficult to gauge if any of this will be implemented.
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 9:08AM
    Simon12 said:

Bounce
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Simon12 said:

Hi guys, we regularly feedback the suggestions and ideas from here back to our product and development teams. It can be difficult to give set times for updates and new functions for delivery as we prioritise the development of the platform to be easy and intuitive to use.

If we can implement a feature we will do so if it is much demanded, in other circumstances we have this function on our radar for future updates.

Phil
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    Simon12 said:

Well would be nice to see some details to be honest....
    edited 6 March 2017, 2:06AM
    I noticed MHEG-IC support is not listed here (there is a comment about IPTV channels), would be nice to get that on the list considering its in the specification, and allows an extra premium content route outside of BT and TT for retail owners.

For example:

http://community.youviyou'veew.com/yo...

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

We have never gotten a proper explaination why this has not happened.

Piers said "The system that Arqiva & Connect TV use on FreeView HD boxes (MHEG IC) isn't available on YouView boxes due to the extra complexity that it would involve for us and Humax & Huawei"

Yet the requirement for MHEG-IC is in the Youview specification:

https://industry.youview.com/resource...

Page 97 refers, under para 2, D-Book Compatibility.