Consolidated list of improvements and feature requests

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,418Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi stormy - I've extended item 34 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests so it explicitly mentions MHEG-IC too now and includes those reference topics :)
  • JamesBJamesB Posts: 841Member
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:11AM
    stormy said:

I noticed MHEG-IC support is not listed here (there is a comment about IPTV channels), would be nice to get that on the list considering its in the specification, and allows an extra premium content route outside of BT and TT for retail owners.

For example:

http://community.youviyou'veew.com/yo...

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

We have never gotten a proper explaination why this has not happened.

Piers said "The system that Arqiva & Connect TV use on FreeView HD boxes (MHEG IC) isn't available on YouView boxes due to the extra complexity that it would involve for us and Humax & Huawei"

Yet the requirement for MHEG-IC is in the Youview specification:

https://industry.youview.com/resource...

Page 97 refers, under para 2, D-Book Compatibility.

Maybe on the new box that's just been released. The FOX T2 doesn't support MHEG-IC.

Which may be a factor in YouView's non-support, as it would have to have been done from scratch.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    Keith1 said:

Hi stormy - I've extended item 34 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests so it explicitly mentions MHEG-IC too now and includes those reference topics :)

Thanks Keith.
  • Colin NowellColin Nowell Posts: 126Member
    edited 20 December 2016, 9:53AM
    stormy said:

I noticed MHEG-IC support is not listed here (there is a comment about IPTV channels), would be nice to get that on the list considering its in the specification, and allows an extra premium content route outside of BT and TT for retail owners.

For example:

Piers said "The system that Arqiva & Connect TV use on FreeView HD boxes (MHEG IC) isn't available on YouView boxes due to the extra complexity that it would involve for us and Humax & Huawei"

That's a very good point!!
    stormy said:

For example:

Thanks. :)
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    As you can see activity on this thread has steadily fallen off throughout the year.
    Newcomers to the forum may not be aware of it, so this is a "bump".
    Smiley
    Newcomers may also be interested in a related survey - the results are quite interesting and you may want to add your views.
    http://tinyurl.com/pj42zxw
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    Yeh its a decent list, and does cover most of the aspirations. So it always deserves a bump. :)

I only recently voted in your survey as I didn't know about it (not sure it will persuade Youview to do anything).

:)
    stormy said:

Yeh its a decent list, and does cover most of the aspirations. So it always deserves a bump. :)

I only recently voted in your survey as I didn't know about it (not sure it will persuade Youview to do anything).

But you've been a member since September 2012!
    stormy said:

Yeh, but I didn't get the Youview box till about a month ago. I sat on the fence for over a year because Youview 'wasn't quite right' (it still isn't imo) and I had a discounted Sky+HD subscription. I caved in this month because I wanted a PVR that had all the domestic catch up services (that was not Sky) and this was the only option I could find without using multiple devices. :) That's my excuse anyway.
    stormy said:

It's interesting to find that people are following the forum for some time before making a decision to adopt YouView.
    stormy said:

:-)
  • sandmansandman Posts: 59Member
    yes quite an exhaustive list of ......ahem....... 'improvements', maybe it should be requested the box come with ears and maybe some form of processor.
    edited 26 October 2013, 11:19PM
    Simon12 said:

This list has been hanging out there for a long long time, and yet I don't see any comments from YV on whether they are in-scope, out-of-scope, and if they are in-scope, when they will appear.
    Other than the 'recent' Android app, and some stuff last year, nothing much else has changed

There has been a survey and prioritization based on this, but this is like urinating into a gale if YV have no intention of following up with any of this, and if they do, when it'll ever make it to your box (especially if you are a TalkTalk customer)

So can we please have an official response from YV. Thanks.

ah rite phil,so thats it?
    i think youll find that the list are all features that are very much demanded, were you down the pub when you casually replied to having an 'official response'?
    Simon12 said:

This list has been hanging out there for a long long time, and yet I don't see any comments from YV on whether they are in-scope, out-of-scope, and if they are in-scope, when they will appear.
    Other than the 'recent' Android app, and some stuff last year, nothing much else has changed

There has been a survey and prioritization based on this, but this is like urinating into a gale if YV have no intention of following up with any of this, and if they do, when it'll ever make it to your box (especially if you are a TalkTalk customer)

So can we please have an official response from YV. Thanks.

I wonder just how much a feature has to be demanded before YouView will take action?
    Visionman thinks Channel list management is the most requested development within the forum (280 "People like this idea") - http://community.youview.com/youview/...
    There's still much to be done here.
    It doesn't involve other companies and is entirely un-controversial.
    sandman said:

yes quite an exhaustive list of ......ahem....... 'improvements', maybe it should be requested the box come with ears and maybe some form of processor.

You don't approve of improvements or added features?
    sandman said:

Seems to becoming more prevalent these days.
    Smiley
    edited 27 October 2013, 10:23AM
    sandman said:

i very much approve of improvements for obvoius reasons, just wondering what the way forward is. if you know what i mean as no one seems to listen and there never seems to be any type of speculation or news regarding youview etc.
    when i heard of YV it seems to fit my needs and with added features to be 'expected' i was very exited and happy to receive a free box as a trialist, the market is inundated with products right now from consoles such as ouya xbox a ps4 to the good old nasty pvr' a sub tv. just to add frustration is prevalent on the forum with many of initial members having left and replaced by more frustrated curious users, but still no intervention by the makers!
  • Simon12Simon12 Posts: 390Member
    edited 1 October 2015, 9:08AM
    stormy said:

visionman being the obvious example from my standpoint gwatuk.

TBH, I can understand lurkers who just pop in now and then, maybe ask the odd question to satisfy their curiosity, and to help make a decision.
    What baffles me is the case of the regular posters who say they don't have the unit.

Maybe I just don't have the same amount of spare time on my hands.
    sandman said:

There are a lot of us here, that have started out curious, then fully engaged, but over time, due to little activity from YV, end up frustrated and cynical.
    I include myself in this list btw.
    I don't wish to be like this, but circumstances have led me down that path I'm afraid.
  • JamesBJamesB Posts: 841Member
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:11AM
    stormy said:

YouView is rather different from other STB's, considering the mission of the YouView consortium to change viewing habits and expectations.

I do have a YouView box, but it's the wider mission that interests me, rather than the STB. Might well apply to others, with or without a YouView box.

Granted that's not the purpose of this forum. Mea culpa.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,089Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    gwatuk>
    It's interesting to find that people are following the forum for some time before making a decision to adopt YouView.
    Simon>

TBH, I can understand lurkers who just pop in now and then, maybe ask the odd question to satisfy their curiosity, and to help make a decision.
    What baffles me is the case of the regular posters who say they don't have the unit.

I found reading the above post to be grating to say the least. What is your problem with me posting so regularly on this forum? And there are others too, who don't yet have the box, who are very knowledgeable (far more than I), who post on here as well. And their posts are always very helpful.

Want a clique?
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 27 October 2013, 6:38PM
    Visionman said:

gwatuk>
    Simon>

I found reading the above post to be grating to say the least. What is your problem with me posting so regularly on this forum? And there are others too, who don't yet have the box, who are very knowledgeable (far more than I), who post on here as well. And their posts are always very helpful.

Want a clique?It is a tad odd, but each to their own. Keeps the forum going
  • DM2DM2 Posts: 475Member ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 2:39PM
    Visionman said:

gwatuk>
    Simon>

Want a clique?It's the natural counterbalance to the various people *with* YouView boxes who then come to this forum bemoaning their inability to connect them to their Sky dishes...

Possession is not the gateway to knowledge Smiley
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 27 October 2013, 6:45PM
    Visionman said:

gwatuk>
    Simon>

Want a clique?If only the Sky dish powered the Sky box, rather than the other way round. That would make for some interesting discussions when plugging in ones Humax :-)
    Sorry Visionman. Did come across a tad harsh reading back. My bad.
    Was not intended to be a personal dig at you.
    There are others here who like you have held back on the purchase of these sets, or a contract with TT or BT.
    What I'm getting at I still surprised at is the continued interest by 'non-owners' in a service that does not seem to get the changes it needs to get to address fundamental issues, while alternatives are marching on regardless.
    If it were me then I would have left alone and moved on by now, but that's just me.

YMMV, clearly.

Peace.

Simon
  • Nigel MercierNigel Mercier Posts: 47Member
    Please can you make the Channel Up/Down button switch pages in the Planner screen, like it does on the Guide (and every other such device I've used). By all means keep the option to use < and > as well.

Please can you make the Channel Up/Down button switch pages in the Planner screen, like it does on the Guide (and every other such device I've used). By all means keep the option to use < and > as well.

+1 for that idea.
    Hi Nigel - take a look at the topic about recording list navigation where people have suggested/requested changes such as the one you propose above (I would expect any suggestions made there to be applied to the recordings and scheduled recordings list/pages). That topic is the reference for item 64 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests above :)
  • Nigel MercierNigel Mercier Posts: 47Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    In case it has not been picked up, please can we have the programme duration, record time, date and channel in the Info screen for a recorded programme.
    Hi Nigel - of the info you list above the thing I find quite inconvenient is not having the duration show in the recordings list page (which does show the date and channel for each item). There is an idea topic requesting that they add one more column to show the duration there too, see

which is item 12 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests :)

One can of course press ok on an item in the recordings list to get more info and see the start and end time and hence calculate/estimate the duration but that is highly inefficient. One can also press info (and see the channel, date and start time info) and find the duration under the details tab but that is even more button presses with info split across tabs :(

So hopefully they will implement a duration column one day as per item 12 in the list and then also implement item 76 which would allow one to sort by duration and hence quickly find a programme that fits the time you have available :)