The guide is very slow

Comments

• edited 25 April 2013, 6:40AM
    Martin1 said:

FWIW I don't have a problem with EPG speed on my Humax.

I press the button, the screen refreshes with the channels/times. Does it take 1/5 of a sec? 1 sec? Realistically what's the difference?

The EPG isn't just displaying the programme start times, it also has to load in the catch-up status and link through to any recordings. IMO if it's doing all that within a second it's doing just fine.
  • SoniclifeSoniclife Member Posts: 23
    edited 5 November 2013, 7:40PM
    New firmware tonight apparently, fingers crossed.
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 4 October 2012, 8:17PM
    Martin1 said:

When most modern boxes take less than 0.5 seconds to display data anything 2 seconds or more is just frustrating for some people, My family tend to press buttons, when nothing happens after a few seconds it all goes wrong - so they then start complaining to me. I asked if it was "less than a second" because anything up to 1 second is acceptable in my view.

Hope the update makes things better.

Surely the EPG only needs to get recording data and catchup-status when you go back to view the 7 day catchup listings - not the freeview listings - those do not make use of such data.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 6:40AM
    Martin1 said:

"Surely the EPG only needs to get recording data and catchup-status when you go back to view the 7 day catchup listings "

No.

The EPG displays these under all instances of a particular episode, so if Doctor Who airs on BBC One on Saturday and is then repeated several times on BBC Three, the links to the catch-up version and any recordings you might have made are shown on the EPG entries for each repeat.

This is a good thing.

"anything 2 seconds or more is just frustrating for some people"

Those people are very lucky to have such trouble-free lives that an additional second is a source of major concern.

Thankfully the guide on my box loads under that time so if my life ever becomes so stress free I won't have to get all 'grumpy old men' about the EPG loading times.
    edited 5 October 2012, 5:39AM
    Can anyone advise how fast the EPG is refreshing now and how responsive the EPG and remote are in general now on TalkTalk - ie Huawei box? I need to decide as soon as possible today if I'm going ahead with my TalkTalk Plus TV install on Saturday, or cancelling in favour of BT or a non-Youview option. Thanks.
  • swedish cookswedish cook Member Posts: 27
    edited 5 October 2012, 6:55AM
    It doesn't make sense that going back in time should be slower, because broadcasters know what programs are going to be available for catchup even before they are broadcast. They could put an "available for catchup estimated date" on the program and then in the guide you would have four types of programs :
    1 programs that will never be available
    2 programs that will be available at a future date
    3 programs that should be available now but have not been confirmed
    4 programs available for catchup now and confirmed as available

So the unit should display based on the information it has already and in the BACKGROUND update type 3 into type 4.

They just didn't design it well, its relying far too much on grabbing data over the web and displaying that in real-time, thats ok for some things but not for the program guide - a program guide needs to update in the BACKGROUND.
  • mike_taylormike_taylor Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 8:38AM
    My Talktalk box upgraded its software over night,
    I pressed guide it came up in about a second foward 5 days loaded in a second, back 7 days loaded in a second.
    when you get the day you want to check going up down channels or back forwards that day is almost instant.
    edited 5 October 2012, 12:04PM
    Martin1 said:

I can cope with any of that - its my daughter who complains (very loudly) at times when EPGs are slow! Though when you're trying to scroll through several screens, and perhaps are in a hurry to records something before you go out, delays can get frustrating. Sounds like the update to Talktalk boxes has improved things though.
    edited 5 October 2012, 12:05PM

My Talktalk box upgraded its software over night,
    I pressed guide it came up in about a second foward 5 days loaded in a second, back 7 days loaded in a second.
    when you get the day you want to check going up down channels or back forwards that day is almost instant.

That's excellent news, thanks - sounds like the TalkTalk box is getting really good now!
  • marcusd666marcusd666 Member Posts: 14
    edited 5 October 2012, 8:28PM
    Well after the update the tv guide is a lot faster i would go as far to say the whole system feels faster.
    edited 5 October 2012, 8:32PM

Well after the update the tv guide is a lot faster i would go as far to say the whole system feels faster.

Thanks - How fast (in seconds) would you say the display of a new page full of data is in the freeview listing and catchup listings?
  • RottyRotty Member Posts: 107
    edited 17 January 2017, 6:15PM
    Agreed that it appears quite a bit faster. Have yet to do a comparison with the Humax as I have just been running some other regression tests. Will try and do a direct comparison over the weekend and see how it fares.

I still find the remote commands a bit sluggish on some other parts of the UI though.
    edited 5 November 2013, 7:40PM
    After the update it is much faster to move around in the guide, after it's initially loaded, but the initial load time is still very slow (5 secs approx), and any other interaction requiring EPG data is similar. It really should not take 5 seconds to show you information about the current program, that should be in memory, with all the other now and next for all channels so that flicking through channels is quick as you don't need to wait for the picture to know what's on.

I don't notice any other speed increases on the box after this update, but I have not had much of a chance to use it.
    edited 5 October 2012, 9:44PM
    Soniclife said:

After the update it is much faster to move around in the guide, after it's initially loaded, but the initial load time is still very slow (5 secs approx), and any other interaction requiring EPG data is similar. It really should not take 5 seconds to show you information about the current program, that should be in memory, with all the other now and next for all channels so that flicking through channels is quick as you don't need to wait for the picture to know what's on.

I don't notice any other speed increases on the box after this update, but I have not had much of a chance to use it.

Forgot to say, moving to a new page in the EPG is probably done in under a 1/10 of a second now, it's not quite instant, but plenty fast enough.
    edited 5 October 2012, 9:50PM
    Soniclife said:

So a big improvement then - and on par with many EPGs now - except for info and now and next taking 5 seconds!!? That realy is unforgiveable and un-necessary.
  • crispy116crispy116 Member Posts: 1
    edited 17 January 2017, 6:15PM
    So, I just got this installed today, and the whole box is glacially slow, to the point of not actually responding to most input. New batteries in the remote, that was not the issue.

Example: Took 20 minutes to shift forward to 9pm tonight and select a program to record. Have a feeling this is going straight back in the box and back to TalkTalk.

This is clearly an untested POS that has been rushed to market. My old Humax box is no longer jealous of the new shiny competition.
  • Michael Robertson2Michael Robertson2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 6 October 2012, 3:09PM
    crispy116 said:

So, I just got this installed today, and the whole box is glacially slow, to the point of not actually responding to most input. New batteries in the remote, that was not the issue.

Example: Took 20 minutes to shift forward to 9pm tonight and select a program to record. Have a feeling this is going straight back in the box and back to TalkTalk.

This is clearly an untested POS that has been rushed to market. My old Humax box is no longer jealous of the new shiny competition.

I can hear my Youview box crying some nights while the Humax HDR takes the p*ss out of it.
  • edited 6 October 2012, 3:34PM
    crispy116 said:

With an imagination that vivid do you really need to watch TV at all? ;-)
    edited 6 October 2012, 4:14PM
    crispy116 said:

Despite deliberating for several days given reports of a slow EPG which really would irritate me, I decided to go ahead with my TalkTalk Huawei box installed today - with the latest software that came out earlier this week installed. So far everything seems pretty much instant - moving forward or back a few hours or days is instant too. The report above (20 minutes??) would indicate a fault box or some other compatibility of reception problem - I've never even heard a report of 20 seconds and with the latest software it is faster too by all accounts. I'll report back on proper timings when I get chance - but so far I'm over the moon about the quality, speed and performance of my box installed today.
  • stuart52golfstuart52golf Member Posts: 205
    edited 6 October 2012, 4:48PM
    crispy116 said:

Hi Adrian, amazing others are compaining abot how slow the Huwaei box is, but as you know I have both boxes, and the TT one for me is slightly faster going through the EPG.
    Good luck with the box, did you haggle about the trial period?
  • RottyRotty Member Posts: 107
    edited 6 October 2012, 5:03PM
    crispy116 said:

I too have both, and whilst the latest firmware update has improved the TalkTalk box, my Humax is still faster. As an example, if I scroll back in the EPG several days using the << button, I may occasionally very briefly see a 'loading' on the Humax, but it disappears so fast, you barely register it. On the TalkTalk box, it can still be there for a second or two before the EPG populates.

The Humax has some bugs that I know are being worked out which the TalkTalk box doesn't have, but overall, I prefer the look (cosmetic), the ergonomics (box and remote) and the speed of the Humax over the TalkTalk box. However, those of you who are TT customers and subscribe to their service have no choice in the matter, and the box needs to be as good as the Humax for the customer experience point of view.
  • stuart52golfstuart52golf Member Posts: 205
    edited 6 October 2012, 5:17PM
    crispy116 said:

Is your name Adrian?

If your Humax is faster than mine thats cool, Im really pleased for you.
    Mine isnt, but I really dont care that much.

And why do TT customers have no choice in the matter of which box they have?
    I am a TT customer, I dont have to have a TT supplied box, I already have a Humax YouView box.
    edited 6 October 2012, 5:36PM
    crispy116 said:

stuart52golf -

In the end I decided there was not enough time to haggle, and if I don't like the box I could always use in the bedroom instead. So far I think I'll be keeping it in the lounge!

My box is Huawei - I haven't yet tested performance properly but overall impression is good so far. I have noticed an occasional delay of around a second populating the EPG in some circumstances though - which ties in with Rotty's comment above - nothing that I would find frustrating though.

I understand that unless you have a Huawei box you can't access the TalkTalk player - I believe someone who has both boxes confirmed that is (unfortunately) the case. I do hope TalkTalk sort his mess out - I might then buy a Humax box and put the Huawei in the bedroom if possible.

I haven't seen the Humax box up close, but I actually like the style of the Huawei box - nice and understated and small, with no bright LEDs or display to distract.
    edited 12 October 2012, 6:09AM
    I've done some timings on a freshly re-booted Huawei box with the recently updated firmware for the Freeview EPG and going back into the Catchup EPG.

To start the guide - took 1.8 to 2.2 seconds
    To display page of data after Pg Down 7 pages - 0.8 to 1.2 seconds
    * To display page of data after forward (>>) 6 days - 2 to 3 seconds
    * To display other pages in between - 1.4 to 1.8 seconds

Using approx 7 Meg ADSL broadband speed:
    To display page of data after back (<<m reasonably happy with the above, but the timings marked with * above ideally need to be improved - especially moving forward more than one day through the guide and moving back several days in catchup.

For Now / Next banner the timings are as follows.

**To change channel and display banner data - 2.3 to 2.5 seconds
    *To redisplay banner data on same channel - 1.6 to 1.8 seconds
    To display banner data when moving down 6 channels - approx 0.5 seconds
    To display data for later the same day - almost instant (less than 0.3 seconds)

Conclusion - personally I can live with that, though initial display of the banner data especially when changing channel (**) really needs improving in my opinion.
  • Darren3Darren3 Member Posts: 4
    edited 21 October 2012, 5:31PM
    This is a really frustrating part of the experience, content discovery is very important on an STB and right now i find myself sticking to the first page of channels because of the poor EPG performance.

Feels to me like its just got too many objects on the screen. Embedded Flash does not deal well with tones of stuff on screen (especially text) and an EPG has lots. Could parts of the EPG not be cached as bitmaps?
  • Saul Hudson1Saul Hudson1 Member Posts: 6
    edited 25 June 2013, 7:23PM
    Did a side by side comparison using the Humax and a Sky + HD box and the Sky box is so much faster and the EPG is better laid out with categories so you can quickly navigate to what you want. Makes me wonder why I went with YouView. Ahh...I remember, the box was free with our BT Broadband/Phone/TV Package. I can put up with it but I really hope they make some drastic improvements in the software over the coming months.

YouView has a long way to go to catch up with Sky in my opinion.
  • DJ BILINGSDJ BILINGS Member Posts: 172
    OK so SKY is better guide but you pay monthly fee for this box, but the youview is just as good - easy to read populates fast and does the job well. I am pleased with YouView Guide - much better than Freesat Freetime as it crashes and show wrong info and contains spelling errors - youview - yousave(Money & Time) you Pause, You rewind You record, You catch up (On demand BBCI, ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5) YOU Enjoy.
  • Saul Hudson1Saul Hudson1 Member Posts: 6
    Whilst it is true you pay for Sky, you are getting more channels and a much slicker experience as far as navigation and recording go. I find you view to be a great idea poorly implemented. It's all just a bit too clunky. For example, the on demand stuff from ITV etc is not seamless, it has to fire up it's own pretty dire app to run.

We got youview as it was part of our BT package but have to say so far, for both me and my wife at least, it does not live up to the hype.
    edited 29 December 2012, 12:38AM

Did a side by side comparison using the Humax and a Sky + HD box and the Sky box is so much faster and the EPG is better laid out with categories so you can quickly navigate to what you want. Makes me wonder why I went with YouView. Ahh...I remember, the box was free with our BT Broadband/Phone/TV Package. I can put up with it but I really hope they make some drastic improvements in the software over the coming months.

YouView has a long way to go to catch up with Sky in my opinion.

Youview does not want to be like SKY, Youview is a one of Fee with a good TV Guide, You Pause, You Rewind, You Catch up, You Record, You Enjoy. If SKY is better suited for you - You Pay their premium and can enjoy SKY.

YouView is for people that want one off payment, ability to dip into other services if they want to pay for it, but an easy to use PVR system with a great TV GUIDE.

I have used SKY - Yes it was good but too may repeat channels /shopping and if you want movies or sports you pay a premium fee

I have used Freesat - it was good until they introduced free-time which is rubbish - the guide shows incorrect info, recordings fail and youtube never worked and BBCi on this box was so slow you could not watch it. I returned it to the store.

I now use YouView, The guide is excellent, easy to get a range of channels, record, pause, rewind, good selection of on demand - BBCi, ITV Player, 40D and Demand 5 plus if you are with certain broadband providers they have content on demand players.

Youview works well and to-date I have not had any problems, apart from the remote which clicks when you press certain buttons but this is an annoyance rather than an error. The service is excellent.

You have a choice - You want premium movies and sports and willing to pay monthly fees then SKY or Virgin maybe for you, they are more established but are expensive and have loads of repeats and shopping channels and only worth getting if you want Sports.

Freesat - currently not working well and gets loads of complaints about the new freetime service and recordings fail and guide does not populate well.

YouView - award winner - from Stuff magazine,

One off fee - loads of on demand content, good TV guide, good recording facilities and pause and rewind

The choice is yours but each company has good and bad points, but if you want YouView to be like SKY well it will never be like SKY as they do not want people paying big monthly fee's so the investment will not be the same as no monthly fee's,
    edited 29 December 2012, 12:47AM

Whilst it is true you pay for Sky, you are getting more channels and a much slicker experience as far as navigation and recording go. I find you view to be a great idea poorly implemented. It's all just a bit too clunky. For example, the on demand stuff from ITV etc is not seamless, it has to fire up it's own pretty dire app to run.

We got youview as it was part of our BT package but have to say so far, for both me and my wife at least, it does not live up to the hype.

Well SKY has been going for many years, has investment from many sources, it has movie and sports rights that are tied with them for a while, the On-Demand works well on YouView not on Freesat Freetime, SKY do not yet have On-Demand from 40D.

SKY have more channels that is true, but most are repeats or shopping channels, Asian or God Channels. Navigating with YouView is easy, It takes a minute or two to get use to, yes SKY maybe slicker but only slightly.

My Guide on YouView populates almost instantly when I press guide,

It does take a bit of time to load u from cold, as the box goes into a very economical standby mode, YouSave (Money as low standby compared to freesat, freeview, SKY and Virgin boxes) as this is the most economical box on the market to-date.

You want moew channels you need to go to SKY or Virgin, you want to pay a premium for repeat channels then SKY and VIRGIN maybe for you.

You have a choice but my opinion you want some HD, good choice of On Demand, a Great TV Guide then YouVIEW. YOU pay one of fee and then You Enjoy.