Forum Etiquette

churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
Recently, I am getting a bit bored of reading pompous self-opiniated posts that are sarcastically critical of other people. Can we try to keep this forum a pleasant place for us all to co-exist in harmony, please, without small-minded and contentious sniping. If we disagree with another's opinion (which they have a right to), there are plenty of ways to question it, without resorting to unpleasantness.

Comments

• MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Welcome to the internet
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Madcotto said:

Welcome to the internet

LOL, Madcotto. I suspect I have been using the internet longer than most (started programming computers in 1966 ...)

I have also been a member of many forums, and seen some sink into a mess of argument, and competing egos.

I would like to get something out of this forum, and therefore, I am just flagging up that it is unnecessary for the few to adopt a means of posting that is both unnecessary and deliberately inflammatory.

I would like to continue using this forum, but if it deteriorates into a constant slanging match (with a certain few people being the main protagonists) then I will just stop using it. I just wanted to flag up that I see initial signs of this happening.
    edited 3 October 2012, 10:33PM
    Madcotto said:

Welcome to the internet

well i can put back my computer use to the Vic20, not quite the same but again no internet. but while i agree with you points even during them times their was sarcasm and nastiness between fellow programmers. this not unique atall and only encourages censorship on forums which i disagree with more.
    Madcotto said:

Welcome to the internet

Totally agree with you. Doesn't make it right, though, does it?
    And, in general, as in other areas, it is the few rocking the boat, rather than the many.
    I would hope, on this forum I am one of the many who want a civil forum, and that the few will moderate themselves.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,459Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I wasn't aware it was a few doing this. I too am a varied forum poster but have found this forum to be a place of much information and help. Between users of different platforms too!

I've had a few mildly sarcastic replies, but - water - duck - back. And some humor, too.

So, in the main, a very helpful and informative place to be.
    Agree, Visionman. I find the forum fun, informative, useful, and, on the whole, good-natured and friendly.
    Long may it stay that way.
    just to add to this staff do mod this forum and i have had comments removed for putting in the term lmao with the f added. so its not a free for all
    Madcotto said:

just to add to this staff do mod this forum and i have had comments removed for putting in the term lmao with the f added. so its not a free for all

No - like you said earlier - in general, censorship is not good. And I know the forum is moderated, which I think it should be - just makes sense in any forum.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,428Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    I'm interested to see this being raised again since it was only 7 days ago that someone started a similar topic on forum behaviour which only received 2 replies (one being from YouView).

Since it has come up again I thought I would add my own comments (having decided not to last time).

So far I have seen only a few posts, or topics with exchanges of posts, where in my opinion they could have been worded better to be less direct/cutting/rude/heated/provocative/confrontational whilst still making a point clearly and concisely and engaging in a positive and open discussion.

As has been noted by YouView on the other topic they do moderate the forum and one can see from the changelog that on occasion action has been taken to remove posts. It may also be the case that in reponse to some other replies they have privately contacted the individual to suggest in future they word their responses more considerately or reread what they write before submitting a reply to see how it reads,as opposed to how it sounded in the persons head where it may have felt like it came across better as it might in face to face communication where one can hear more how something is said and meant.

Whilst it should all be common sense how to behave on a forum (or anywhere when interacting with others) and I'm sure everyone knows it, there is various advice/guidance/rules people can read too, e.g. I did not see the tips for using the forum that I wrote as a place to go into forum etiquette directly but do feel tip 12 - above all be nice - was a friendly way to state the obvious.

So I hope the forum remains friendly and positive and hence a constructive and useful place for people to come and discuss ideas, ask questions and get help with problems in an open, inclusive, polite and tolerant community.