Failure to fully playback current recording.

AnotherJohnHAnotherJohnH Member Posts: 36
edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM in Archived Posts
I recorded the GP this afternoon - I started to watch the recording as it was still happening, fast forwarded a bit to catch up a bit, and then started to watch. The playback stopped after a few minutes with an error message to the effect "recording failed". I had expected it to play the whole recording.

The recording was still happening, and continued for the full two hours.

Why?

Comments

• edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi

Had you caught up with the live show?
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    As Martin mentions above, the most likely explanation is that you had caught up with the live programme. As such you had technically reached the end of the recording as it existed on disk at that point. What would be good at that point would be if it gave you a message to this effect and jumped to the live channel so you seamlessly continue to watch.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Sorry

My post got truncated. I was going to add what Keith has now said plus mention the Sky+ (the most widely used PVR in the UK) is similarly graceless when you catch up with a live show while watching the recording.

There you get an error telling you to hit the 'backup' button and then exit the recordings list and turn over to the desired channel.
  • AnotherJohnHAnotherJohnH Member Posts: 36
    edited 26 August 2015, 4:39PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I was replaying a few seconds behind "live" - about 10 - once I had shuttled through the initial few minutes - and didn't shuttle any further once I was watching it.
    I had been watching for several minutes when the playback error happened.

Replaying that close I could have just watched live, but I didn't know if the race was underway when I started to watch the recording.

As I recall, the recording had been underway about 4 minutes when I started to watch, and it failed at 10 minutes into the recording (which continued for the full 2 hours scheduled).
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    I've seen this on the YouView box and other PVRs when you are chase playing quite close behind the live broadcast. I would guess it is actually reading ahead or saving to disk the recording in some non-smooth/blocky fashion and hence if you are say within 30-60 seconds of the live broadcast that read ahead/blocky saving can mean you go beyond the current recording end on disk and hence it thinks you are at the end.

I've added the idea of chase play automatically and smoothly switching to the live broadcast in such a situation to the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests.
    Thanks Keith.

I think that seems like a good explanation.

Hopefully the box will chase play future recordings.. with a bit more of a gap between live and playback ;-)
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 8 October 2012, 2:15PM
    Another thing I have seen with chase-playing on various PVRs is playback is ever so slightly faster than "live" to you can catch up from only a few seconds behind over the course of a programme.
    Update. it worked OK last night with a gap of few minutes between live and playback, and played to the end of the recording.

Quite how big the gap needs to be to avoid the error is a moot point.