Power on/off doesn't work sometimes

Adrian4Adrian4 Posts: 6Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM in Archived Posts
I have experienced a problem where my YouView box does not respond to power on/off, from both the remote and the button on the main box. The first time was while it was recording a programme and would not turn on, the second time was while watching TV, no recording, and the unit would not turn off.

Is this a known issue, or related to the hanging problem reported elsewhere? With respect to the latter the box does not actually hang, and if it is stuck on I can switch channels etc - just no control over the power.

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,406Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    I've had this problem a few times a few weeks ago but it has been fine again since then. Each time it happened to clear it I had to power cycle to box (i.e. hold down the front power button for 8 seconds or turn it off at the back or the wall).

I'm not sure why the problem started or then stopped again for me as nothing else obvious had changed.

Whilst the most obvious sign this is happening on a Humax box is the blue circular light stays on, the bigger tell tale sign to our household was there was no slow startups (because of course it was already on).
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 737Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    Can't pin down why this happens but I have exactly the same problem. The box works fine but wont respond to the power button on remote or box. Very strange!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • alal Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Sometimes my Humax box wont switch on. Holding down the power button on the remote for a few secs starts it up - weird because I expected that to shut it down.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Adrian. If you are still experiencing some issues with the power on/off button, please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.
  • thewisebunnythewisebunny Posts: 6Member
    edited 13 July 2016, 4:57PM
    Yep, we've got this issue as well. At first I thought it wouldn't switch off because we were recording, but nope, even when nothing is being recorded, we can't switch the unit off, apart from via the rocker switch on the back.

Jesse - do you want us to contact support as well???
  • Steve AllenSteve Allen Posts: 47Member
    edited 3 September 2013, 10:21PM
    Had the same problem a couple of times now, would not power up from standby. Had to do the soft reset etc.
  • Adrian4Adrian4 Posts: 6Member
    edited 14 January 2014, 11:09PM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi Adrian. If you are still experiencing some issues with the power on/off button, please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.

Hello Jesse, thanks. I've been holding back from contacting you as this problem hasn't happened for a while. But this evening it has - recording Strictly on BBC 1 HD and cannot power on to watch it at the same time. I'll get in touch tomorrow or Monday.
    Jesse1 said:

PS, I upgraded to the latest software this week...
    After a period when this problem has not happened (but I haven't been recording much) it has now occurred twice over the weekend, both times recording BBC1 HD. Both times needed a soft reset to allow the box to be turned on, once with the power switch and once by pressing the front panel power button.

BTW, I called YouView support in November and was told 'this is a known problem with the box and you need to call Humax'. So I called Humax who had no knowledge of the issue (!) and wanted me to do problem determination testing for them, including a full reset of the box which would have lost all my recordings.

So I'd like YouView and Humax to look at this seriously, as shown above I'm not the only person who has seen the problem.

The software on the machine is up to date.
  • Simon9Simon9 Posts: 1Member
    edited 5 February 2013, 8:12PM
    I had this problem with an (out of the box yesterday) Humax DTR T1000 500 gb. Tried resetting controller, taking the batteries out, holding the off button down for ages, the lot. Switched it off at the rocker and back on. Powered down completely and unplugged.

Fixed with full system reset through the menu. Would have been mighty unhappy if i had anything recorded.

Also miffed about the lack of wifi built in and no dongle available? come on, ethernet powerline adapters? rubbish, especially if the appliance and the router are on different ring mains.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi Simon

In general terms, ethernet is a more reliable connection than WiFi and less prone to slowing and dropping speeds/connection however if you have a look around the forum you'll see there are ways of connecting the box via WiFi.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,406Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Simon - as Martin has said a wired connection will potentially be more robust. If you did want to try a wireless solution a topic with useful information and links is

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

Assuming you do not already have a suitable piece of kit to repurpose then the cheapest option so far looks to be the TP Link TL-WR702N which you can get for about £17 but it will need a bit of setup.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    This thread is item number 6 on Keith's Consolidated list of bugs and fixes:

6. YouView box will not go into standby and remains constantly on and otherwise fully functional

Currently tagged as 'assumed fixed'. Although a fix for this specific issue was not released there were improvements made in this area and we have not been seen this issue in any of the recent releases since.