Clipped recordings, what, where, when?

edited 14 April 2017, 5:24PM in Archived Posts
We already have lots of threads debating clipped recordings, that's not what I'm suggesting we use this for.

Instead perhaps people could post just the title, channel and time of any recordings that get clipped in this thread so a list could be built up that could hopefully allow us to see if one broadcaster is worse than another?

Would also be useful to add a line saying if it was the start/end that got clipped.

If the mods think this is an unhelpful thread then of course I'm happy for them to delete it.

Comments

• CiceroCicero Posts: 345Member
    edited 14 April 2017, 5:24PM
    Good idea.
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Posts: 315Member
    edited 20 October 2012, 12:50PM
    All CSI recording done last week on 5.US clipped the end for a few minutes.
  • Chris__M1Chris__M1 Posts: 136Member
    edited 20 October 2012, 3:01PM
    NCIS, 5USA, 6pm Weekdays - always loses the last 3 mins approx.
    edited 25 October 2012, 12:52PM
    Getting On was missing one minute from the beginning, last night BBC4.
  • Mike3Mike3 Posts: 99Member
    edited 16 May 2014, 6:28PM
    No I think this is useful.
    I was missing the start off all episodes of channel 4's Come dine with me 5.30 pm weekdays but always ran over.
    starts missing BBC1 Watchdog Wed 8pm
    End of Homeland Sundays Ch4 9pm (think fixed)
    Few other programmes at various times
  • edited 16 May 2014, 6:28PM
    Hi Mike

Watchdog is interesting as my box got the whole epsiode - that's the sort of difference I was hoping this thread might reveal.

My Sunday showing of Homeland was all there so hopefully fixed.
    Martin1 said:

Hi Mike

Watchdog is interesting as my box got the whole epsiode - that's the sort of difference I was hoping this thread might reveal.

My Sunday showing of Homeland was all there so hopefully fixed.

My box was a Humax maybe posters could add which type of box they have in case that has a bearing. Or even would regions also have a bearing. I think I asked that on another thread
  • petkolpetkol Posts: 213Member
    edited 17 December 2015, 1:32PM
    Cicero said:

Good idea.

Seconded. Good idea Martin.
  • m1ndm1nd Posts: 6Member
    edited 2 August 2013, 5:15PM
    Just got my box this week and the first four recordings I watched all had the start missing. Already deleted so details unavailable. This one is still on the hard drive:

Start missing from BBC News at Six, BBC One HD, today 26 October, London

BT-supplied Humax box
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Just to let everyone know, this problem is not box specific. It's broadcaster specific only. All boxes will receive the same EPG info, and not a manufacturer based broadcast EPG's info.

Though stating your broadcast regions would be useful, to see if they all receive the same EPG info times.
    Start missing from Caroline Quentin: Through India, ITV3, 24 October, London

The time is shown as 9:01 pm - 10.01 pm, which may account for the clipped start.

BT-supplied Humax box
    This thread is starting to reveal some interesting info but I would still like to see some kind of statement from Youview as to what they are doing about the issue rather than just considering
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Hi Mike (and others)

Would you be kind and direct any debate/discussion to the many other threads? The hoped-for purpose of this thread was to create a simple, quick look list which might make it easier to spot patterns/biggest culprits.

Any detour into the wider issue will make that harder.

Hope that doesn't sound bossy, it's certainly not meant to :-)
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Posts: 315Member
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Visionman, the cause of the problem is indeed broadcasters but as other boxes manages to find a way to get around the issue and record the shows with no missing parts the problem is box related.

YV box is designed for broadcasts in UK only If there is a sloppy signalling practice that is going on forever among UK broadcasters, relying on that sloppy practice and hiding behind it when recordings fails is wrong. I'm not saying YV is doing that intentionally. We have not heard from them yet. All we are all saying that recordings fail on YV when they don't on other boxes.

I had been running my old TopUpTV Thomson box in parallel with YB for a couple of weeks and none of the recording that failed on the YV box had failed on that box. How can I believe that "this problem is not box specific"?

It is the end result that interest us, the consumer, not how it is done. The box fails to record the start and end of most programs.

That is a design fault.
    Another two recordings with the fronts clipped:

1200 News on BBC HD

1215 ITV News on ITV1 HD

Both recordings London region, BT-supplied YouView box, on Sat 27 Oct 2012
  • edited 25 April 2013, 6:23PM

Visionman, the cause of the problem is indeed broadcasters but as other boxes manages to find a way to get around the issue and record the shows with no missing parts the problem is box related.

YV box is designed for broadcasts in UK only If there is a sloppy signalling practice that is going on forever among UK broadcasters, relying on that sloppy practice and hiding behind it when recordings fails is wrong. I'm not saying YV is doing that intentionally. We have not heard from them yet. All we are all saying that recordings fail on YV when they don't on other boxes.

I had been running my old TopUpTV Thomson box in parallel with YB for a couple of weeks and none of the recording that failed on the YV box had failed on that box. How can I believe that "this problem is not box specific"?

It is the end result that interest us, the consumer, not how it is done. The box fails to record the start and end of most programs.

That is a design fault.

As asked above, please direct any debate/discussion to the many other threads? The hoped-for purpose of this thread was to create a simple, quick look list which might make it easier to spot patterns/biggest culprits.

Any detour into the wider issue will make that harder.
    Even more yesterday 27 Oct:

The Golden Rules of TV, ITV1. The recording started 4 1/2 min before the programme and about 2 min was missing from the end of the programme.

Merlin, BBC One HD had the start of the title sequence clipped as did Star Wars, on ITV HD.

Hope this information is of interest/use to somebody and that a fix is on the cards as this is the worst PVR performance I have seen in years. I suppose I should be grateful that I have only had one failed recording.
    edited 1 November 2012, 7:06PM
    I complained previously in this topic about Getting On being clipped, last night it was perfect.
  • tracestraces Posts: 199Member
    edited 24 November 2016, 7:25PM
    Clipped beginning of Hatfields & Mccoys 5+1 10pm 1.11.12
    edited 24 November 2016, 7:25PM
    Clipped ending Hatfields & Mcoys 5+1 8.11.12
  • Torqueback1Torqueback1 Posts: 5Member
    edited 14 December 2012, 11:02AM
    Cicero said:

Good idea.

Secret State Ch4 27.11.2012; The Hour BBC2 05.12.2012. The ends of both were clipped by 2-3 minutes.
  • Bilbo BagginsBilbo Baggins Posts: 177Member
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Do any of these clipped recordings have any other programs set to record before or after the one thats getting clipped, I mean like, program A 7.30pm-8pm C4 then program B 8pm-9pm BBC Three?

OR are they just single recordings with nothing before or after?

I have seen many clipped on C5 gadget show (start) but have many recordings going on/off all the time

BTHumax NW region
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:29PM

Do any of these clipped recordings have any other programs set to record before or after the one thats getting clipped, I mean like, program A 7.30pm-8pm C4 then program B 8pm-9pm BBC Three?

OR are they just single recordings with nothing before or after?

I have seen many clipped on C5 gadget show (start) but have many recordings going on/off all the time

BTHumax NW region

Hi Bilbo - whilst that can be a contributing factor to some clipped recordings the box can also compensate for that by automatically recording another showing to replace the clipped recording where such a later alternative exists. In general there is a clipped recording issue due to the failure of some channels to (properly) implement the accurate recording process. Note this specific topic here is intended to build up a concise record of clipped recordings but not to discuss the issue in general. There are other topics for that such as

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

which are basically the other reference links for item 2 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults :)
  • [removed][removed] Posts: 282Member
    edited 27 March 2013, 4:48PM
    7pm ITV1 26/12.2012 Emmerdale opening titles and part of the program not recorded.
  • Andrew Peter MarlowAndrew Peter Marlow Posts: 16Member
    I am very disappointed with YouViews attitude to clipped recordings. They blame it on the broadcaster. That's just not good enough. We all know that the broadcasters get it wrong which is why it is up to the STB software to compensate, as other boxes do.

I am very disappointed with YouViews attitude to clipped recordings. They blame it on the broadcaster. That's just not good enough. We all know that the broadcasters get it wrong which is why it is up to the STB software to compensate, as other boxes do.

Have said that all along but that means using common sense
  • Mark James1Mark James1 Posts: 37Member
    edited 7 January 2013, 12:07PM
    This same topic is being discussed (rather heatedly) on another thread, there's definitely a case for contacting the broadcasters but is it also worth asking people to post details like signal strength, quality, region, for more clues?
    edited 17 February 2017, 12:01PM
    Plebs

2 or so minutes missing at the end of every episode recorded to date, be it either ITV2 or ITV2+1.
    edited 24 April 2013, 8:51PM
    traces said:

Plebs

2 or so minutes missing at the end of every episode recorded to date, be it either ITV2 or ITV2+1.

And yet my recordings of Plebs have not been clipped at all.
  • stuart621stuart621 Posts: 616Member
    edited 24 April 2013, 9:04PM
    traces said:

Plebs

Mine neither. That seems very strange, doesn't it? Is this something to do with different transmitters? Could it be because of other programmes set to record at the same time which are given higher priority?