Discrete IR Code

Simon Rust1Simon Rust1 Posts: 6Member
edited 29 August 2017, 1:33PM in Support
I have a Philips Pronto programmable remote control and it would be really useful to have a discrete infra-red control code for power-on to wake the YouView box up rather than the code on the supplied remote control which is a toggle between power-on and and power-off. I've looked on RemoteCentral - has anyone got a code for this?

Comments

• Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Posts: 235Member
    edited 23 October 2012, 7:50PM
    Very important this if possible.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 17 November 2013, 7:05PM
    If it's anything like the Humax Foxsat-HDR you should be able to use any digit to turn it on. Haven't got my box yet so can't try it
  • Simon Rust1Simon Rust1 Posts: 6Member
    edited 24 October 2012, 7:19AM
    I've tried. No other button brings it out of standby mode and you can't prevent it from going into standby mode.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 24 October 2012, 7:58AM
    Pressing any button stops it going into standby mode. Are you talking about a set up such as a gym or hotel foyer with no guarantee that there is anyone actually watching and / or able to control the box?
    The point of a discrete code is so you know absolutely what function you've requested so the remote knows what state the device is in. If you have one button that turns it on and off you can never guarantee what it will do. With a discrete code "off" means "off" and "on" means "on"
    edited 24 October 2012, 8:43AM
    Yes. We know. It is common for each IR code set to have both discrete ON and OFF codes *and* and a toggle code. In the absence of not knowing the former it is helpful to explore other potential solutions.
    The OP is looking for a solution for his Pronto remote, nothing to do with hotel foyers or preventing standby. I know exactly what he's trying to do. He wants to push his "Watch TV" macro or whatever and know that it will turn the YouView box on. With a power toggle, and a box that goes into auto standby, his macro could turn the box off. Which of course is the opposite of what is required.
    edited 24 October 2012, 9:37AM
    If you carefully read the whole thread you will see I was answering the previous poster who was talking about preventing automatic standby kicking in. I accept this fourm software is not the best for handling this kind of tangential discussion though,
    Agreed this forum software is challenging :-)
  • Richard BurfordRichard Burford Posts: 10Member
    edited 11 January 2013, 11:11AM
    I agree. If this is box is to be taken seriously, especially in the homes of the wealthy and famous who have elaborate control systems, then a power on and off discreet command is essential. Control systems like RTI, Pronto and even the humble Logitech Harmony will get out of sync with the STB if they are forced to use a power toggle command.

My older FoxSat-HDR (also a Humax) had a discreet power off, and pressing any of the number would turn it on. Doesn't seem to work on the YouView though.

Such an easy thing for a manufacturer to implement, I don't know why they won't.

I suppose one reason, may be the energy saving requirements of the box, preclude that function when in 'Sleep'.

But seeing as most users have probably got it in 'low' power saving to allow the remote app to work and speed up the boot time, this function could be provided for???
    edited 11 January 2013, 10:08PM

I agree. If this is box is to be taken seriously, especially in the homes of the wealthy and famous who have elaborate control systems, then a power on and off discreet command is essential. Control systems like RTI, Pronto and even the humble Logitech Harmony will get out of sync with the STB if they are forced to use a power toggle command.

My older FoxSat-HDR (also a Humax) had a discreet power off, and pressing any of the number would turn it on. Doesn't seem to work on the YouView though.

Such an easy thing for a manufacturer to implement, I don't know why they won't.

I suppose one reason, may be the energy saving requirements of the box, preclude that function when in 'Sleep'.

But seeing as most users have probably got it in 'low' power saving to allow the remote app to work and speed up the boot time, this function could be provided for???

Surely the seriously wealthy and famous have a flunky to take care of controlling their control systems?
    edited 12 January 2013, 12:08AM
    true!

still annoying though.

8-)
    edited 12 January 2013, 12:08AM
    true!

still annoying though.

8-)
    edited 12 January 2013, 12:09AM

true!

still annoying though.

8-)
  • Alex LindlAlex Lindl Posts: 9Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The remote uses xmp-1 with a device code of 102.32, there's lots of codes not used on the remote itself so there may be discrete codes in there somewhere, it would be nice if youview could tell us the code though... the power button is code 15.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,200Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

The remote uses xmp-1 with a device code of 102.32, there's lots of codes not used on the remote itself so there may be discrete codes in there somewhere, it would be nice if youview could tell us the code though... the power button is code 15.

Piers had a very techie codes thread going.

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

Have you looked at that?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • James FinnieJames Finnie Posts: 1Member
    edited 18 May 2013, 9:49PM
    I would really like discrete codes for power on, or alternatively a way to disable power-down / standby mode.
  • FredrikFredrik Posts: 11Member
    edited 26 August 2017, 12:05PM
    I would also like to request this. How such a easy feature is not part of every piece of AV hardware is beyond me. So easy to write up and would help thousands of customers with home automation systems and would bring appeal to anyone looking to buy the system who already has a home automation system in place.

Creds though for the USB-HID controls on the YouView box. Brilliant idea that I wish every manufacture did. But missing the discrete Power On is the only thing holding it back. Sky Q's IP control therefore still wins hands down for now...
    edited 26 August 2017, 3:09PM
    The remote does not support it, but the box itself supports the generation of the DIKS_POWER2 DirectFB event for Power On, which can be triggered from a programmable remote,
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 26 August 2017, 1:29PM
    Roy1 said:

The remote does not support it, but the box itself supports the generation of the DIKS_POWER2 DirectFB event for Power On, which can be triggered from a programmable remote,

Hi Roy,

Many thanks for your quick reply. Are you sure about this though? DIKS_POWER2 has got mapping of 0x10 right? I've tried this already (in fact I ran a script to try all 0x00 - 0xFF combinations and none seem to be mapped to a discrete power on).

Maybe because I have a Plusnet YouView box? Maybe my model is slightly different?

Best Regards

Fredrik
    edited 26 August 2017, 2:10PM
    Roy1 said:

Possible, as I was quoting from the original YouView spec, and things have moved on since then.

But YouView were pretty adamant they wanted a discrete Power On Code, and put it in a special paragraph 4.2 all on its own.

And speaking as someone with a Harmony remote that I had to abandon because of the 'out-of-sync-toggle' issue with non-YouView devices that only had the toggle code, I'm with you, and YouView, all the way on this one.

You are now (necessarily) going into areas I am not familiar with, but Piers, who I referred to above, has all this at his fingertips, I think.

Piers' elevated responsibilities for YouView mean he doesn't post here much if at all these days, but if we ask Sarah to bring this thread to his attention, you might hope to hear something early next week.

And I daresay there may be one or two other remote codes experts out there.....
    edited 26 August 2017, 2:39PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Roy, many thanks for that, I will try to contact Sarah / Piers.

Sorry, I am new to the forums here. Where can I find the YouView spec and paragraph 4.2?
    edited 26 August 2017, 2:45PM
    Roy1 said:

Hmm, the forum doesnt seem to allow private messages to be sent? Do you happen to have an email address for Sarah or Piers so I can get their attention?
    edited 26 August 2017, 3:09PM
    Roy1 said:

They will read this when they come back to work on Tuesday.

But you can send an email message to [email protected], which is our official email channel to YouView support, and one we use when sending in, say, confidential information.

e.g. We mustn't mention email addresses, real addresses, full postcodes or telephone numbers in public here, so that is the way we let the YouView team know these things if we need to.

It's also very useful for reporting trolls, though this is thankfully rare on this forum.
  • kevin@darume.com[email protected] Posts: 2Member
    edited 27 August 2017, 9:23AM
    Please do post back if you do figure out how to do this with a Harmony remote!
    Please do post back if you do figure out how to do this with a Harmony remote!
    Sorry, I dont know how to do it via IR. But I use the USB port to control it. I ended up once an hour, pressing a random button on the keyboard that is not programmed for anything. The button has no effect on the box, but it resets the sleep timer and the box doesn't go to sleep.

Be aware though that the box is not designed to stay switch on for so long. Pausing recordings will stop working after a while (some sort of storage or buffer must accidentally fill up).

For now its a temporary work around until we can get some discrete On/Off commands.