black screen when changing channels

MattManMattMan Posts: 277Member
edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM in Archived Posts
Hi
I have noticed this a lot more of the past couple of weeks, when I change channel sometimes the screen will go black but you can still hear the audio just no picture and then channel will change. I noticed this bug before but it has now got so bad that it can take upto 20 seconds to change and at time I have to change the channel to a different one before to get it to work.
I'm not to sure if this has been posted before I did try a search but I could not find any posts.

I'm also hoping that the October update might fix this bug. Fingers crossed.

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 782Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    I have this problem but only when I am recording something. If I am watching the same channel that I am recording and I change chennels while the recording is in progress I get sound and a blank screen for several seconds before the picture comes on.

I have also noticed that if I watch the recording afterwards there is a slight pixelation or blockiness at the point where I switched channels and had the blank screen.

I am guessing but I think this has something to do with the box switching tuners and the muxes you are watching or recording?
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • MattManMattMan Posts: 277Member
    edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM
    Had the problem again this morning box was in standby and after turning it on had to wait about 15 seconds for a picture to come up and yes the box was recording on a different channel. please can some from youview reply back about this problem.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi [Name]. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues when changing channels. Please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.
  • edited 26 October 2012, 6:01PM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi [Name]. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues when changing channels. Please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.

"Hi [Name]"

Think you're meant to type something between the square brackets ;-)
    Hi MattMan. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues when changing channels. Please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:22PM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi MattMan. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues when changing channels. Please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.

Thanks Jesse but the URL is not working could you please add it again. Thanks Matt
    Jesse1 said:

Sorry, here is the correct link - http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use.... Thanks
  • MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    i notice this now and then and has happened again after the October update. it is rare but can be annoying and sometimes find it helps to goto another channel and back again
  • SW1SW1 Posts: 240Member
    edited 1 November 2012, 11:21AM
    This is not a new issue, this has been reported from Day1 that there are times when the device is *very* slow to change channels, 20 to 30s has been seen.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    It sounds like this is the same bug/problem as reported on this other topic but that this report is adding the info that the picture delay can be many seconds not just a brief delay.

I've got that bug report in the consolidated list of bugs and faults as item 8.

If this seems to be the same issue perhaps the two topics should be merged?

If they are similar/related but not the same thing then they should stay separate and I will add a further reference to the bugs list.
    Jesse, I had an email today asking for me to phone YouView to talk about this problem, this is not going to happen because is it a 0844 number and it will cost me money. This is your problem and I would also like to know when this will be fixed as the delay is getting long and if I'm recording it can cause the recording programme to go blockly and skip as times.
    MattMan said:

Jesse, I had an email today asking for me to phone YouView to talk about this problem, this is not going to happen because is it a 0844 number and it will cost me money. This is your problem and I would also like to know when this will be fixed as the delay is getting long and if I'm recording it can cause the recording programme to go blockly and skip as times.

Hi MattMan, if you would prefer to contact us via email, then please send us details of the issue you are having and please copy the web address of this thread into the email http://community.youview.com/youview/....
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:22PM
    MattMan said:

done all this before sent emails but still no fix. All I wont is a fix, as is it gets so bad. I might have to go back to FreeSat, the other day the box skipped about 1-2 mins right at the end of a recorded programme this is starting to piss me off now.
  • david1david1 Posts: 71Member
    edited 13 November 2012, 1:44PM
    Anaglypta said:

I have this problem but only when I am recording something. If I am watching the same channel that I am recording and I change chennels while the recording is in progress I get sound and a blank screen for several seconds before the picture comes on.

I have also noticed that if I watch the recording afterwards there is a slight pixelation or blockiness at the point where I switched channels and had the blank screen.

I am guessing but I think this has something to do with the box switching tuners and the muxes you are watching or recording?

I have seen exactly the same behaviour
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    MattMan said:

I have the same problem intermittently
    Had a call from Humax on Friday and I was told that Humax do not to anything with the firmware / software and I had to have the box swap out, I told him that the problem only started after an firmware update so he said to go back to YouView. YouView please call me regarding this problem.

Regards
    Matt
    edited 3 December 2012, 6:05PM
    MattMan said:

Had a call from Humax on Friday and I was told that Humax do not to anything with the firmware / software and I had to have the box swap out, I told him that the problem only started after an firmware update so he said to go back to YouView. YouView please call me regarding this problem.

Regards
    Matt

What make and model of TV do you have? Does the delay to change or display the channel coincide with the FULL icon appearing on the front panel?

I too am a triallist who has been passed around Humax and Youview support in a meaningless manner and this morning sent off my request to have the box changed. Should get the new one on Wednesday.
    Had a phone call from YouView and they now say that this is a know bug and that they are working on it. not to sure when this will be fixed.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Posts: 183Member
    edited 7 December 2012, 10:03PM
    I have noticed the problem when changing from a HD channel to a SD channel and the screen goes blank for 20 seconds.
    YouView,
    Please can we have an update regarding this know bug.

This is marked as Acknowledged but I would still like an update.
  • mark hancockmark hancock Posts: 6Member
    edited 19 December 2012, 9:37AM
    I have just started to notice this over the last couple of months at about the same time started to get picture break up
  • Andrew Peter MarlowAndrew Peter Marlow Posts: 16Member
    edited 30 December 2012, 12:46PM
    I also notice that this screen blanking is happening more and more. I never noticed it before the recent s/w updates. This is yet another thing, albeit small in itself, that adds to the general fustration of using the YouView machine.
    edited 30 December 2012, 1:21PM
    Yep, happening more and more here too.
    Youview has this problem been fix in the January update.
    Piers, any update please still have the problem and the time it take to show a programme is getting longer. I have also noticed that this problem is more likely to happen just after the box comes out of standby.
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:20PM
    I have this problem a lot. Some thing I noticed was when I by accident I switched to BBC 3 when it was not broadcasting in the morning.
    I had to wait for the Mpeg screen (or whatever it's called ) to load for about 20-30 seconds then when I tried to change channels it froze and had to reboot.

I tried the same again with other channels that weren't broadcasting and the same thing happened. But I also noticed it sometimes freezes when changing or flicking through and go passed BBC Parliament..
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ MattMan. Humax are testing a fix for the problem now, but I can't give a release date yet. It's seems to be worse when you come out of standby if you record a lot of programmes, as that often means that the channel that you "wake up" to is different from the channel that you were watching previously. It's related to the live TV time shift buffer under those circumstances.

@ Old Welsh Dragon, re your last reply, I don't think this is the same problem as MattMan and others have reported. MHEG channels can take quite a long time to load, but the box obviously shouldn't crash. Is this still happening? If so, would you mind creating a new topic thread? thanks.
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    Piers2 said:

@ MattMan. Humax are testing a fix for the problem now, but I can't give a release date yet. It's seems to be worse when you come out of standby if you record a lot of programmes, as that often means that the channel that you "wake up" to is different from the channel that you were watching previously. It's related to the live TV time shift buffer under those circumstances.

@ Old Welsh Dragon, re your last reply, I don't think this is the same problem as MattMan and others have reported. MHEG channels can take quite a long time to load, but the box obviously shouldn't crash. Is this still happening? If so, would you mind creating a new topic thread? thanks.

Piers.. Still happening. New thread created http://community.youview.com/youview/...
    Piers, Thanks for the update if Humax have a fix and if they would like I could test it for them.
    MattMan

Looking forward to a software fix.
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:20PM
    Been having an intermittent problem when changing channels, I get a black screen but the audio is fine, it takes about 10 to 15 seconds for the picture to come on.

Also the info bar at the bottom of the screen and channel number in the middle remain on until the picture appears..
    Anyone else have the same problem?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    Black screen when changing channels.