Consolidated list of bugs and faults

Comments

• Simon12Simon12 Posts: 390Member
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    @Keith - is it worth reviewing this list.
    Some of the items are clearly marked as fixed and need removing
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,406Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Simon12 said:

Hi Simon - The way I've constructed the list and the way references have been made to it elsewhere (on the forum and outside of it) means if I take items out then there will be references to missing points and the numbers will not tie up (unless I redo the numbers manually rather than as an HTML numbered list). When I started the lists my expectation was they would not just show what was outstanding but give people a way to gauge that progress is being made as features are added and bugs fixed. I expect there will come a natural opportunity in the medium term to rework the list and at that point restructure, shorten and clean up etc.
  • edited 1 February 2018, 5:35PM
    Hi Keith

Could you not consider using Strike through text on those items that have been wholly resolved?

The bold statement at the end does tend to mean people have to read the whole para before seeing it's completed. The Strike through will allow the text to be readable while also clearly signifying that the item is now completed.
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:35PM
    Thanks Martin - yes strke through is a good way to make it clearer so now in place
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Posts: 857Member
    edited 18 April 2013, 1:44PM
    Simon12 said:

Excellent - suggestion and prompt implementation both starworthy, if only Get Satisfaction would allow.
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Posts: 57Member
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:36PM
    Thanks - I believe its got iPlayer, but I haven't tried it.
    It does have two functioning USB ports.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

number 9 driving me nuts! : ( . And its written wrong its when hdmi and scart is connected no menu's or graphics are shown on scart untill hdmi is removed menus stay visable on hdmi all the time untill unpluged of course. Please fix asap. Thanks in advance : )

s/b 'visible only'. But I see that's what item 9 does actually say :-)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 345Member
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:37PM
    I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT720 and it's a fantastic machine. But with Panasonic the only drawback is that you cannot use Netflix, iPlayer etc while it's recording.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,801Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM
    Number 7 is really driving me nuts. It is especially bad when using optical and surround sound and even worse on BT IP channels. As far as I can see there was never any proper reply about this in the last year so doesn't look good for a fix ever :(

Is it just me or does it look like we have had a steady stream of fixes month on month from release until June and then nothing..
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi all - following some recent developments I am once again able to maintain the consolidated list of bugs and faults. So far I've primarily blown the dust off, cleaned up the formatting damage the transition to the new forum system did back in December, struck through and commented some resolved bugs, and added 4 new items to the list. You will also see I've moved the list itself into the main topic opener post and added a note where it was in the first reply post.

As ever if you have additions, corrections, comments let me know and I'll do my best to revise the list appropriately.

For those that are still following this topic but not viewing the forum in general you may also be interested in the newest list: the consolidated list of updates and changes :)
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:38PM
    I would like to see the list broken into outstanding bugs followed by fixed bugs. I think YouView's progress through the issues might be made clearer thereby.

I also note several reported bugs classified as not fixed have not been re-reported for months or years, and I wonder if these are still extant?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:38PM
    Thanks Roy - I thought about splitting the list in the initial rework but left that for now. The list is currently done as an HTML ordered list which automatically does the numbering and formatting and if I thus split it up will mean the numbers do not persist (and the forum HTML support does not include support for specifying in the li tag a specific number).

It would be nice to get some definitive answers on some of the long standing but not recently remarked on items. One that I had long assumed was fixed was item 3 but then much to my surprise I saw that again on the new Humax DTR T2110 box recently

I suspect items 4, 6,7, 13, 19, 20 may all be fixed. Maybe I'll be able to confirm that and cross them through in due course
  • scottscott Posts: 1,801Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM

Keith, Maybe I missed it but I can't see mention of the recording bug in your list...

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/recording_fault

scott said:

Keith, Maybe I missed it but I can't see mention of the recording bug in your list...

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/recording_fault

Hi Scott- Item 32 now added to try to capture this specific recording issue. The description may yet need adjustment :)
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Posts: 741Member
    There is a specific problem with the Humax T1000 series boxes where on startup they do not boot properly and freeze on the "please wait" sequence. This has been reported a number of times in the various fora about YV boxes. My own suspicion is that it is a hardware fault likely associated with sub-standard components in the power supply (as was the case with their Foxsat HD boxes). As with the Foxsats, the problem appears to appear after a couple of years leading to the cynical observation that the boxes have a life of 732 days (ie they fail the day after the extended warranty expires).

This is obviously a fault in a particular set of models rather than a YV software bug so I do not know if it would make your list.

There does however appear to be a software bug affecting playback from the buffer on some channels. Occasionally the time bar does not appear or fast/skip forward from the pause point fails.
    Lbear1 said:

There is a specific problem with the Humax T1000 series boxes where on startup they do not boot properly and freeze on the "please wait" sequence. This has been reported a number of times in the various fora about YV boxes. My own suspicion is that it is a hardware fault likely associated with sub-standard components in the power supply (as was the case with their Foxsat HD boxes). As with the Foxsats, the problem appears to appear after a couple of years leading to the cynical observation that the boxes have a life of 732 days (ie they fail the day after the extended warranty expires).

This is obviously a fault in a particular set of models rather than a YV software bug so I do not know if it would make your list.

There does however appear to be a software bug affecting playback from the buffer on some channels. Occasionally the time bar does not appear or fast/skip forward from the pause point fails.

Thanks Peter - I've had a little more first hand experience than I would have liked of T1000 hardware failures including the one you describe here. I expect high eco mode puts more strain on the power supply with the regular power downs and ups and hastens such failures too. Any T1000 I ran in high eco mode failed to last even 9 months :(

I've added a further note below the list to pick up on the fault given it may help people who are experiencing such an issue that they might initially think is a software issue.

Is there a specific topic that picks up on the second issue you mention relating to playback from the buffer? If not it is probably worth starting one and then perhaps Sanj may be able to seek out confirmation/comment from others.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 May 2017, 8:26PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm working my way through this list and seeing which items we can update you on. So far I have found updates for the following and have updated those threads accordingly: 

23. When a series recording has initially been set the scheduled recordings page potentially confusingly shows both an entry for the next episode and then an entry for the series recording (after the first entry has recorded just the series record line remains but one might expect to only ever see this single line) {see [1]}

29. Recording indicator displays when no recording is in progress {see [1]}

I will keep looking into these and see which ones we can update you all on and see which ones that are at the moment tagged as 'assumed fixed', we can confirm?
  • Peter JacksonPeter Jackson Posts: 62Member
    edited 15 July 2014, 4:52PM
    Sanj said:

Hi everyone,

I'm working my way through this list and seeing which items we can update you on. So far I have found updates for the following and have updated those threads accordingly: 

23. When a series recording has initially been set the scheduled recordings page potentially confusingly shows both an entry for the next episode and then an entry for the series recording (after the first entry has recorded just the series record line remains but one might expect to only ever see this single line) {see [1]}

I will keep looking into these and see which ones we can update you all on and see which ones that are at the moment tagged as 'assumed fixed', we can confirm?

Sanj, Brilliant, thankyou . Even better if you could add these details when you post a new release.
    Sanj said:

Hi everyone,

Thank Sanj - Having added a note for item 29 following your update on that topic I have now added a note for item 23 (plus a comment on the relevant topic ;-) ).
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    **Update**

Confirmation of fixes for:

6. YouView box will not go into standby and remains constantly on and otherwise fully functional {see[1]}

19. Scheduled recording (on Humax YouView boxes) for channels on COM4 and COM5 muxes will fail if also time shift watching another channel from those muxes when the recording begins {see [1]}
    Sanj said:

**Update**

Confirmation of fixes for:

6. YouView box will not go into standby and remains constantly on and otherwise fully functional {see[1]}

19. Scheduled recording (on Humax YouView boxes) for channels on COM4 and COM5 muxes will fail if also time shift watching another channel from those muxes when the recording begins {see [1]}

Thanks Sanj - I've updated the note with both of those entries :)
  • Michal PelszykMichal Pelszyk Posts: 14Member
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:40PM
    I am reporting a bug that occurs in the following scenario:
    * STB has no ethernet wire connected
    * Ethernet wire is connected
    * STB displays "Youview is connected to the Internet again" message on top of the screen and freezes. Photo attached

More details:
    * Affected both Plus and Essentials Huawei boxes (last time I encountered it a month ago)
    * The current channels keeps working (picture and sound do not freeze).
    * STB does not respond to any buttons except the power button (both remote and on the stb itself). It goes to standby properly, but upon waking it up the message is still displayed on screen and stb is still stuck. Disconnecting the ethernet wire does not unfreeze it. The only way to restore operation is to power cycle it.

* Occured when:
    - stb was connected and updated during initial setup, then wire was disconnected during reboot, then connected again when stb completely started
    - fully set up stb was being diagnosed, ethernet wire disconnected for several minutes then reconnected
    - seems to happen more on unstable dsl lines
    - happened several times when rtr had no sync at the time

* Router make and model do not seem to matter.
    * First encountered it about a year ago, last time about a month ago. I simply avoid this scenario to minimize it happening.

Other problems encountered:

* During second stage of setup (after update-reboot) the setup program crashes when trying to enter postcode. The screen goes black for about a minute, then the "Welcome to installation wizard, press OK to start tuning" window shows.
    - Affects both Huawei Plus and Essentials boxes
    - It happened once on other screen than the postcode entry.
    - This changed the way I set up these as now I do completely ignore all setup questions during second stage and change them after the setup wizard is complete.

* STB often slow to respond to commands when connected to unstable internet. Good few times disconnecting the ethernet wire made it work much better.

I am a Qube engineer.
    * STB displays "Youview is connected to the Internet again" message on top of the screen and freezes.

More details:
    * Affected both Plus and Essentials Huawei boxes (last time I encountered it a month ago)
    * STB does not respond to any buttons except the power button (both remote and on the stb itself). It goes to standby properly, but upon waking it up the message is still displayed on screen and stb is still stuck. Disconnecting the ethernet wire does not unfreeze it. The only way to restore operation is to power cycle it.

* Occured when:
    - stb was connected and updated during initial setup, then wire was disconnected during reboot, then connected again when stb completely started
    - fully set up stb was being diagnosed, ethernet wire disconnected for several minutes then reconnected

* First encountered it about a year ago, last time about a month ago. I simply avoid this scenario to minimize it happening.

* During second stage of setup (after update-reboot) the setup program crashes when trying to enter postcode. The screen goes black for about a minute, then the "Welcome to installation wizard, press OK to start tuning" window shows.
    - This changed the way I set up these as now I do completely ignore all setup questions during second stage and change them after the setup wizard is complete.

* STB often slow to respond to commands when connected to unstable internet. Good few times disconnecting the ethernet wire made it work much better.

Disclaimer:
    I am a Qube engineer. I tried several times to report bugs to call centre advisors, was always given the cold shoulder. Maybe this place will net better results.
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:41PM
    Bug being reported to a summary topic and needs its own topic to be better tracked/followed up. Please reference the new topic here: Running Huawei YouView box operation freezes when an ethernet cable is connected

* STB displays "Youview is connected to the Internet again" message on top of the screen and freezes.

More details:

* Occured when:

Disclaimer:
    I am a Qube engineer. I tried several times to report bugs to call centre advisors, was always given the cold shoulder. Maybe this place will net better results.

Hi Michal - as you will see I've used the fork option to generate a new topic from your post above. This will allow the specific issue to be tracked within its own topic. Hopefully someone from YouView will be able to reply further in the week on the new topic to let you know they have fed it into their support system or on to Huawei if they believe the issue lies in the Huawei part of the system.
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:40PM
    Thank you. If I encounter anything else, I will report it properly.

Seems the issues reported have already being investigated / resolutions tested but I could find no mention of it. This is why this list here is very useful to avoid duplicated reports.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 881Member ✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    Sanj said:

Hi everyone,

Disagree with Youview's response to item 23 Series record - and request that it be re-visited by Youview..

if you select Series Record on a program that is not the first upcoming program of a series record the Scheduled recording list has a Series Record entry for the series for one day and a single record entry for the next day.

Example - on BT Sport HD 1 -
    they are showing a 4 match football tournament over the weekend of 2/3 August.

Selecting the first Sunday match  results in that match showing as the single record but there is a series record entry for the previous day with details of the first Saturday match.According to the EPG the saturday matches will also be recorded

So the single record entry is not the first programme to be recorded (according to the EPG) but rather the actual EPG programme entry that the Series record option was chosen on which is from a different day.
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:42PM
    Is this something that BT are getting wrong, though, as this is not a Freeview channel?

Or is the issue repeatable on a FreeView channel as well?
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 881Member ✭✭
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:41PM
    it is a Youview issue as the Series record selection is Youview functionality and is using the Youview EPG -  Issue exists on all channels in the EPG as far as I am aware.
  • Francis OBrienFrancis OBrien Posts: 13Member
    edited 1 February 2018, 5:42PM
    Just confirm bug 36 is squashed. Thank you