Radioplayer app/player - still coming to YouVIew?

edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in News
Hi

Back in March the Telegraph carried a news story with quotes from Radioplayer CEO Michael Hill in which he said the app/player would be coming to YouView before heading to other smart TV platforms.

Appreciate many content negotiations are commercially confidential, but given the initial comments came from Radioplayer themselves, are YouVIew able to give any word on whether RP are still looking to join the platform?

For anyone interested, here's the story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology...

Comments

• edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    Radioplayer is excellent.
    Five months since the original post, does this mean it's never going to happen?
    I'd almost forgotten I'd asked the question!

Radioplayer are getting ready to deploy their iOS and Android tablet apps - http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/r... - so maybe they'll launch on YouView after that's completed?
    Martin1 said:

Radioplayer are getting ready to deploy their iOS and Android tablet apps - http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/r... - so maybe they'll launch on YouView after that's completed?

Apps for both iphone and android have already been released.
    See: http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/apps/
    Smiley
  • edited 13 March 2013, 9:38AM
    Martin1 said:

Yes, I know.

As i said, they're getting ready to deploy their iOS and Android tablet apps.
    Martin1 said:

Sorry, didn't spot the word "tablet". Smiley
    Just stumbled on another old news story...
    "Radioplayer is already confirmed as a content advisory partner for the YouView ‘connected TV’ project"

Are there any developments yet regarding Radioplayer?
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 October 2014, 9:23PM
    Even more relevant now radio has been withdrawn from iplayer
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I would have thought it would make more sense to add this before updating iplayer.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    al said:

I would have thought it would make more sense to add this before updating iplayer.

I think YouView were rather caught on the hop by this.

And given how long it takes YouView to do things, that might have delayed the new iPlayer for anything up to 24 months.

During which I bet more people would have been complaining about not getting the new 30-day window on TV programmes than about not getting Radio catchup any more without going to a tablet or laptop for this. There's not much to watch on catchup Radio :-)
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    al said:

Very amusing Roy, as usual.

The thing is that the idea of finding something to "watch" on the radio may once have seemed risible. But now that the living room often contains not just a TV, but more of a media hub including a decent sound system, many users will expect this to deliver a full range of audio as well as visual content. If YouView cannot incorporate this into their product then it is yet another way in which it fails to match up to its ideal of a single point of delivery, with yet another reason for consumers to turn elsewhere.
    al said:

I very much agree. But let's not forget that we are only talking about catchup radio here, and live radio over YouView is as available as ever it was.

But yes, I bought into the idea of YouView as the

One Box to rule them all, One Box to find them,
    One Box to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

(the darkness clearly referring to the ideal conditions in which to watch home cinema)

And yet sometimes I can hardly hear it over the sniggering of the media player, the Roku, the Apple TV, the Chromecast, the NOW TV box, the Samsung Smart Hub, and all the other sundry devices representing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle that it doesn't seem as if YouView is ever going to complete :-(
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    al said:

Yep, I don't think we are in disagreement here. I have recently argued in favour of bringing the Radioplayer to YouView, but I have only just seen this thread and learned that this had already been mooted over two years ago, that is deeply frustrating, I wonder why it has fallen by the wayside, perhaps one of the YV team would care to comment?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I posted this link on another thread, but it is perhaps more appropriate here -  

Seenit has reported that work on the enablement of live channel  packages for the Now TV player had begun with the introduction of Unicasting for the BBC's CRB. 

"By adding unicast support the service is now able to support additional internet channels from other providers, including NOW TV which will be able to sell subscriptions direct to users rather than via BT and TalkTalk.

It’s understood that some additional work is needed before the full NOW TV service can be added to the boxes and that this is underway, but no completion date has been confirmed."

http://www.seenit.co.uk/connected-red-button-comes-to-youview/

The above principles apply to radio services as well. And the CEO of Radioplayer said in 2012 they wanted to be on YouView, but didn't know when that would happen. However with the enablement of Unicasting they are one step closer now.

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    why has it taken so long to implement something as important as unicasting for linear channels on Youview? With its introduction with bbc connected red button It's now apparent to me how important it is for the expansion of services on Youview - Radio player , now tv , bbc extra channels via connected red button etc What are the reasons for its late introduction? It should have been there a long time ago. Oh well glad it's there now.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭
    Multicasting, and the enablement first of the ISP linked live channels were key to the survival of YouView as an entrenched and established disruptive market product. For both user numbers and revenue! And they are that now. Also they have expanded their development team numbers by 50% so now have more time and resources to finally expand into other areas such as in this case Unicasting. It should though be noted that this was also a requirement of the BBC Trust by the end of 2014, for the BBC's continued support in the project and they have delivered, for once.

httpzaazucom 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Joe2 said:

why has it taken so long to implement something as important as unicasting for linear channels on Youview? With its introduction with bbc connected red button It's now apparent to me how important it is for the expansion of services on Youview - Radio player , now tv , bbc extra channels via connected red button etc What are the reasons for its late introduction? It should have been there a long time ago. Oh well glad it's there now.

Because it was irrelevant to what the ISPs wanted. The man who pays the piper.......
    Thanks Vm & Roy. Unicasting must be the most important development for retail users so far. Thank goodness youview can move on, and expand the service having given the ISP's their multicasting.

Wonder if this kind of delay was the reason the bbc decided to go into development with the rival freeview connect?
    Visionman said:

Multicasting, and the enablement first of the ISP linked live channels were key to the survival of YouView as an entrenched and established disruptive market product. For both user numbers and revenue! And they are that now. Also they have expanded their development team numbers by 50% so now have more time and resources to finally expand into other areas such as in this case Unicasting. It should though be noted that this was also a requirement of the BBC Trust by the end of 2014, for the BBC's continued support in the project and they have delivered, for once.

httpzaazucom 

I have suggested, and not been contradicted, that the number of developers at YouView has not actually changed; merely that what was being done for them, expensively, by external consultants, has now been brought inhouse.

But if this is not the case, I should welcome YouView 's correction here.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    Joe2 said:

Thanks Vm & Roy. Unicasting must be the most important development for retail users so far. Thank goodness youview can move on, and expand the service having given the ISP's their multicasting.

Wonder if this kind of delay was the reason the bbc decided to go into development with the rival freeview connect?

Have they actually gone into development. Last I heard they were just at the arguing stage (which could go on for years as YouView has proved :) )
    Joe2 said:

An interesting speculation Joe. A parallel question, which might throw some light on this, is the opposite one; what sort of things, if YouView had done them differently, done them, or not done them, would have meant that the BBC would not have gone in with Freeview Connect?

And do we think that Freview Connect is filling a vacuum left by YouView, or would Freeview have done this anyway, given YouView 's adversarial stance towards Freeview right from the get-go?

And is the BBC, as the nation's principal broadcaster, not more or less obliged to cooperate at least, and possibly to have more involvement, with initiatives like Freeview Connect?
    edited 30 October 2014, 10:51AM
    Joe2 said:

I find it really baffling. From what little I've picked up it may be an industry standards thing , which youview didn't comply with, making it difficult for tv manufacturers to adopt youview as their default software. The rival freetime seems to have complied with industry standards and are now on panasonic tv's. This is something youview intended to do.
    Like you say the writing was on the wall when youview launched in competition with freeview, rather then as the next evolution of freeview. It was also originally supposed to have been cross platform and used by freesat as their next evolution as well. Freetime from freesat launched pretty quickly after youview so must have been in development for a while, perhaps even before before youview launched.

Delays to the introduction of unicasting brought on by the needs of the isp's are trivial in the bigger picture. So probably not the reason for freeview connect. It must come down to the standards thing, and the odd fact that from its public launch youview was set up as a rival to freeview and freesat, and not as a natural evolution of those companies. Crazy really as we now have a really good next generation connected television that is both free and pay if u want it. Prices have now come down to more sensible levels, so retail buyers have a decent choice.
    Really Youview should have been used by both freeview and freesat, shame it was set up in competition with them instead.
    edited 2 May 2015, 12:18PM
    I've found an interesting recent conversation with the radioplayer people on Twitter regarding Radioplayer:

"@ukradioplayer: @oilpainting71 Hi Ben. We were in advanced talks, but never quite sealed the deal. A mixture of tech and money reasons. Are you a YV user?"

After a brief mention about tech changes on the Youview platform (unicasting) , and whether they would reconsider joining the platform @ukradioplayer goes on to say:

"@ukradioplayer: @oilpainting71 Not sure, to be honest. We'll look into it again. Thanks for the prompt!"

So maybe we might see radioplayer joining the platform in the future ?