Software Release October 2012

Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
edited 6 August 2017, 11:18PM in Announcements
New software for the YouView Humax box is now available and will be rolled out across all boxes over the next couple of weeks. The software will be available on YouView boxes from TalkTalk shortly afterwards.

This software upgrade will include the following updates:
  • Faster start up time when your box is in Standby and when switched off for an extended period (e.g. overnight)
  • The option to change the Auto-Standby setting to 12 Hours, with a choice of 2, 3, 4 and 12 Hours available
  • Recordings grouped by series in MyView to make it easier to find what you are looking for
  • A new padlock symbol to help identify which of your recordings are locked to prevent automatic deletion
  • A reduced number of button presses to open MyView from the main menu
  • Surround sound capability on the YouView box (when connecting with S/PDIF)
  • Skip functionality to allow you to skip forwards 60 seconds or backwards 15 seconds while watching your recordings or live TV (if you’ve paused/rewound)
  • The ability to select a start point when playing a recording
  • Red Button prompts on BBC channels can now be hidden using the green button on your remote control
  • The ability to hide and restore channels in the YouView Guide
  • A message to remind you that if you’ve pressed the TV button on your Humax remote control, you will need to press the PVR button to continue using YouView
If your box is connected to the Internet, and has not been switched off, either at the plug socket of via the switch on the back of the box then the update will be automatically downloaded overnight starting from 30th October over the next couple of weeks to all the boxes. Please note this is a phased roll out and some boxes will get the automatic update sooner than others. If for any reason your box wasn’t connected or was switched off over night, you can check if you have the latest version by pressing the YouView button on your remote control, navigate to Settings > System Information > Software Versions.

If you see the following, then you have successfully upgraded and don’t need to do anything else:

If your box displays a different software version, you can perform a manual update by going to Settings > Device Management > Software Update > Get Update, and pressing OK.

Comments

• gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 2:06AM
    "A reduced number of button presses to open MyView from the main menu"

Giz a clue. How does that work then? Still need three button presses here.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,431Member, Champion mod
    edited 11 July 2017, 3:57PM
    Since the official list above does not appear to include everything I (and others) have identified on this other topic I'll add the extra ones here
    • EPG: duration shown of highlighted programme in the guide
    • EPG: minor adjustment to layout of programme name within its table cell
    • better font and highlight contrast in guide etc
    • recordings list: one button delete of recordings
    • recordings list: one button resume of playback of recordings
    Like gomez says above though I have not seen a 'less presses to go into MyView' feature.

The list also does not mention which bugs if any are addressed although I expect some are resolved by this update.

One thing I really expected to see this release that is sadly missing is searching the EPG so I expect that will come along in 3-4 months time in the next main update.
  • Colin NowellColin Nowell Posts: 126Member
    edited 20 December 2016, 9:53AM
    Keith1 said:

Since the official list above does not appear to include everything I (and others) have identified on this other topic I'll add the extra ones here

Like gomez says above though I have not seen a 'less presses to go into MyView' feature.

The list also does not mention which bugs if any are addressed although I expect some are resolved by this update.

One thing I really expected to see this release that is sadly missing is searching the EPG so I expect that will come along in 3-4 months time in the next main update.
    I think the "less presses" they are referring to is the fact that when you now press MyView, it does not come up with a sub-menu above ("Recordings Scheduled") the bottom bar which means that you don't have to press "UP" then "OK" (or RIGHT, OK for scheduled) first. So now it is 3 presses and not 5...
    gomez said:

"A reduced number of button presses to open MyView from the main menu"

Giz a clue. How does that work then? Still need three button presses here.

It was 5 before (see below)
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:29PM
    Keith1 said:

Ah of course although to me it looks like it only saves one press. Before it took me 5 presses to get to the top of the recording list (YouView, Left arrow, OK, OK, OK) whereas now it seems to take me four (YouView, Left arrow, OK, OK)

If in the next release the YouView button can bring up the menu with MyView rather than Guide highlighted that could save another press too.
    Keith1 said:

You're forgetting the "UP" press that you ALWAYS had to do with the previous menu structure. Previously, pressing the "blue button" then "left" then "OK", left you in the lower bar ("MyView") with a small sub-bar above it of "Recordings Scheduled" (and a blank upper screen) which then required an "UP" press to get to this sub-bar then select either recordings or scheduled then OK... Pressing the "blue button" then "left" then "OK" now, takes you straight to a bar with "Recordings Scheduled" ("MyView" now gone) in it and by default your recordings now show first... (leaving aside how many button presses it takes to get into and to the top of, the list...)
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Keith1 said:

As far as I know I did not need an up press and simply pressing ok at that point would achieve the same as an up press and an ok. To double check I would need to look at the sequence programmed on my harmony remote that does this all for me anyway :)

EDIT: I've now rechecked the sequence that was set on my harmony remote and can confirm it did not need an up arrow press (i.e. one could condense that step of up and ok into a single ok).

So for me before it was 5 presses to get to the top of the recording list (YouView, Left arrow, OK, OK, OK) whereas now it takes me four (YouView, Left arrow, OK, OK)
  • Craig harrisCraig harris Posts: 1Member
    edited 30 October 2012, 2:54PM
    will i be able to receive Lovefilm instant on my TalkTalk box once i receive the update?
  • Bob CaseBob Case Posts: 30Member
    edited 30 October 2012, 3:28PM
    No EPG search :-(
  • BernoBerno Posts: 4Member
    edited 26 June 2017, 11:31PM
    The software upgrade is still not available for my BT Humax box.
    When I try the manual upgrade option it says I have the latest version 7.10

Are the BT boxes not being upgraded today?
    edited 30 October 2012, 4:29PM
    Keith1 said:

It was three before and it is three now to get the recording list on display and another (OK or UP) to get to the recording at the top or at the bottom of the first page. So it has not changed with this update.

If they swapped the My View and EPG entries on the main menu bar with pressing the Youview button landing on My View and showing the recording list then they would have it cracked and got it down from three to one.
  • Moorez4Moorez4 Posts: 5Member
    edited 30 October 2012, 4:57PM
    Are we saying that this update still doesn't support DD 5.1?
    Keith1 said:

@Keith - I see your point and you're right. It is only 1 push less actually. @gomez - How do you reckon 3 before the update?
    1. Blue
    2. Left
    3 OK then
    4. UP or OK to get to the sub-bar and finally
    5. UP or OK again to get to the list?

Now it's
    1. Blue
    2. Left
    3. OK and finally
    4. UP or OK to get to the list itself.

i.e. 1 less button push.
    Sorry DD5.1 via HDMI?
    Moorez4 said:

Sorry DD5.1 via HDMI?

Seems that way... :-S
    It gets worse! I don't know what they've done to the HDMI output but they've managed to lock my Sony Bravia out of responding to the "Home" button on the Xbar menu now too!!! (it worked fine before...)
  • edited 24 April 2013, 6:43PM

It gets worse! I don't know what they've done to the HDMI output but they've managed to lock my Sony Bravia out of responding to the "Home" button on the Xbar menu now too!!! (it worked fine before...)

How would an update to the YouView box stop your TV responding to its own menu?
    edited 30 October 2012, 5:22PM
    Moorez4 said:

Sorry DD5.1 via HDMI?

It's so basic a requirement, I'm sure they will sort it. When your used to controlling your sky box with your iPad this seems poor. I know sky uses optical but my appletv, humax freesat box, my laptop and my Sony PS3 all use HDMI
    edited 30 October 2012, 5:23PM
    Keith1 said:

You could press OK before to get into the list bypassing the Recording/Timer sub-menu.

By doing something with the HDMI control signals... Put it this way, if I switch inputs to either of the other 2 HDMI inputs which have a Foxsat HDR Freesat box on one and a Sony HXD560 on the other, the "Home" button (using the Bravia's remote) responds straight away and brings up the Xbar menu over the top of that devices picture. If I switch to the HDMI input that the Youview box is connected to and try pressing the "Home" button, the remote light on the TV blinks to show it saw the command but NOTHING happens on the screen. It is VERY irritating as I may want to quickly switch to some internet content (my Bravia is also network connected) while my YV box is running but now I can't without switching away from the YV input!!

As previously mentioned, it DID work ok before this update because I view like that a lot sometimes...
    Keith1 said:

I wasn't aware of that... If that was the case, then nothing has changed which is kinda strange as they have specifically said that it now takes less! :-S
    Figured it out. Auto HDMI control was turned on (on the TV) and it was responding to the control signals emanating from the YouView box (Humax) and that was what was preventing the "Home" button and just about every thing else (apart from Ext.Input and Volume) from working correctly as normal (on the TV's own remote). Obviously not fully compatible with the way that the Sony Bravia's expect the control signals to work. Turn Auto HDMI off (on the TV) and the TV reverts to working normally. My presumption from this is that they have enabled the Auto HDMI control signals in this update since it didn't do this on the older software...
  • MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    Disappointingly still no GUI (graphics) over Scart while HDMI connected. this was my biggest hope over the inclusion of Netflix and for them that asked no its not there yet.

saving that me fave feature i noticed sofar was grouping of the same recorded programs together.

also you can now hide channels from the EPG which goes some way to address a common complaint
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Not sure why people were expecting content providers to be included in the operating system update? There's no connection between the two.
  • BernoBerno Posts: 4Member
    edited 26 June 2017, 11:31PM
    Has anyone, with a BT box, received this update yet?
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Posts: 296Member
    edited 6 August 2017, 11:17PM
    Thanks Jesse for the update.
    It brings the product up to what I expected it to be able to do back in June, on the original trial, yeah!
    I've deleted all the channels that require the use of a premium rate phone number to access further services. This is especially welcome now those people at "Dimwits Move Our LCNS", DMOL for those whom don't get the reference, moved the HD channels next to other stuff. Kids want to watch HD suff as well you know, although they don't pay the Licence Fee, so why give them TV anyway. But that's a different argument / discussion.
    Anyway, thanks for this long awaited update. Chears.
  • Andrew1Andrew1 Posts: 5Member
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    How do you hide a channel then?
  • Sam OrrSam Orr Posts: 4Member
    edited 30 October 2012, 7:20PM
    I will await the rollout with interest, but I am still happy with the service overall, as I was previously a Virgin Media customer, and got fed up paying for stuff I did not want to watch. I also could never give Murdoch any money directly.
  • Andrew1Andrew1 Posts: 5Member
    edited 30 October 2012, 7:25PM
    Andrew1 said:

How do you hide a channel then?

Had an update but does not appear to be this one?