Long boot up / double boot up this morning

gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
edited 11 July 2017, 3:57PM in Archived Posts
I thought I would time boot up this morning from a cold start in HIGH ECO standby mode. Five minutes later, still not there so starting to get an itchy finger ready to flick the ON/OFF switch on the back of the box when I saw the initial boot up screen again. From there it seemed quite quick to get there but I lost track of the time as I was pondering the situation.

Wondering if it was related to last night's automatic update check with something new to offer being disappointed that I already had it? I will try again later today after doing the laundry giving it time to go back into deep sleep mode.

Comments

• grebogrebo Posts: 17Member
    edited 31 October 2012, 2:06PM
    SNAP

After installing latest software

Box (HUMAX) rebooted once during startup hung for a time then finally worked OK

Today starting from High ECO box rebooted TWICE during startup but eventually worked OK - total time 12 mins

It used to be switch on and make tea now it's switch on and make lunch

SoFar not SoGood

Have now switched off at the wall and will try again this evening from cold start

Cheers

Grebo

Otherwise updates work OK
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Yes this happened to me too as per the descriptions above, i.e. the update went on cleanly and rebooted correctly but the next time I turned it on after it had been in standby it failed to come on cleanly. After waiting quite a while I gave up and power cycled the device. I reported the issue via email to YouView but did not get a response (nor expect one necessarily) so have no idea whether they knew about the issue, whether it is common or whether they expect it to happen again with future updates.

The box has been fine thereafter so not a major problem but equally something that I would hope would not happen in the future.
  • SW1SW1 Posts: 240Member
    edited 31 October 2012, 4:44PM
    +1 here, had the box on Low Eco mode previously before the software update, after the software update I changed to the High Eco mode and thought I should reboot the box. Had to do the same as described by the OP.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 31 October 2012, 9:58PM
    I forgot to report back that the box booted fine in the afternoon taking 1:45 minutes which is in line with other reports.
  • DavoDavo Posts: 110Member
    edited 31 October 2012, 11:17PM
    Had the double boot up twice not good really...yes 1.45 now but I still don't still get why it needs to take so long from a cold boot, 20 secs at most sounds reasonable to me
    edited 1 November 2012, 7:18AM
    My box is now not booting reliably :( Also, the long touc of the power button on the front of the box is not reliably making the box power cycle either.
    edited 1 November 2012, 9:11AM
    My box hung again this morning and only sprung into life into the initial boot screen after I touched the power button on the front panel.

This may be further evidence that all is not well with the new firmware playing happily with the overnight housekeeping check. I will see if a second boot from deep sleep works properly later today.
  • bramblebramble Posts: 118Member
    edited 11 July 2017, 3:57PM
    I had this problem yesterday, but, being impatient, I powered off and on using the rear switch. I don't know if this was wise.
    edited 1 November 2012, 1:18PM
    Again it has happened with me just now :( Another 3 months to wait then before they fix this
    edited 1 November 2012, 1:44PM
    Update to Post #2

31/10
    Left box powered down all afternoon
    restored power 1700 and left 10 mins to settle
    Start from R/C
    Double reboot(back to humax opening page) and hanging
    left it to its own devices and after 12 mins It works
    all usual functions work fine

BUT!!!!

01/11

Box was left in high-eco stby overnight
    Start from R/C
    Normal start time about 1-2min (didn't measure - was taken by surprise) with NO reboots

All usual functions work fine

Go Figure :-)

Cheers

Grebo
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    The fact it does boot if left long enough would seem to suggest something is hanging for a period during startup or that some unexpectedly lengthy check is being performed.

One possibility for example would be that the update is not cleanly unmounting file systems for the reboot or is (unexpectedly) resetting some counter etc such that on the next full boot from cold it is starting a file system check. Such a check could indeed take 5-10 minutes but once cleanly completed would not be expected to reoccur on future reboots (unless some counter/timer triggers it again or the file system is once again not cleanly unmounted during shutdown).
    edited 1 November 2012, 2:50PM
    Had it down as some form of timing error introduced in an attempt to speed up normal startup from stby (said he, guessing wildly)

That WILL periodically come back to haunt

It NEVER happened (to me) before the update

Needs some input from YouView

Cheers

Grebo

Will start a paper log
    edited 2 November 2012, 1:22PM
    Hmm perfect 1.43.44 start up just now from a cold boot :)
  • KeyKey Posts: 14Member
    edited 21 September 2013, 12:42PM
    Same thing happened to my box this morning. Has been fine since I did the manual update a couple of days ago, was off all night, turned it on this morning and it was taking a long time to start up, and then rebooted itself.

Looks like a new bug has been introduced with the latest update.
  • EQdnbEQdnb Posts: 8Member
    edited 2 November 2012, 5:56PM
    My box is double booting most times I start it up after its been off for a number of hours, having to wait 5 minutes for it to boot isn't fun!
    This never happened before the update :(
    edited 5 November 2012, 2:06PM
    Further Update to post #2

02/11 --> 04/11 1200 and 1800

Box Started OK by R/C from high-eco stby

05/11 1200

Start from high-eco stby
    Startup hangs near end of what would be normal start sequence
    Single reboot back to Humax frontscreen
    Startup completes OK

No user intervention - Start time 6mins approx

Box operation normal

I knew it would be back !!

Cheers
    Grebo
    I had a recurrence this evening after the box had been behaving itself for a few days. Pressing the big blue button did not sort it out. The rear power switch did.

This is clearly a serious fault introduced with this latest release. Since a lot of people appear not to have updated yet, speculating, I wonder if it would be worth youview creating a new modification level with a fix in the next few weeks.
    edited 5 November 2012, 9:22PM
    Fine with me still but I only switch on once a day for a few hours
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 760Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 February 2017, 5:07PM
    Oh dear it looks like this "feature" was introduced with the October update. My box also suffers after it has been in High eco mode standby.

Normal boot up to the last few seconds then the box hangs for around two minutes before returning to the Humax splash screen. It then boots normaly. (total boot time therefore being around six minutes!)

I am guessing here but it looks like the few seconds this update shaved off the boot time was probaly required by some part of the software to get up to speed.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    I have growing evidence this is a problem with the HDMI handshaking, last night my Sony 40Z4500 displayed a message something like 'device does not support the audio format selected'.

Can I assume everyone in this thread who see's the problem is connected by HDMI? If they get the box into the state where it seems to have not booted, does the front of the box display the channel name, e.g. BBC HD? If it does while in this state does the SCART output work? I suspect it does.

Also, do people with this problem, also get the issue where the box takes a long time to change channel and/or enter or exit the guide?

My YV query number is 7146-135176576, I emailed Humax yesterday for support, but from other findings, I think this is a YV issue.
  • northernnorthern Posts: 241Member
    edited 30 November 2014, 12:48PM
    Anaglypta said:

Oh dear it looks like this "feature" was introduced with the October update. My box also suffers after it has been in High eco mode standby.

Normal boot up to the last few seconds then the box hangs for around two minutes before returning to the Humax splash screen. It then boots normaly. (total boot time therefore being around six minutes!)

I am guessing here but it looks like the few seconds this update shaved off the boot time was probaly required by some part of the software to get up to speed.

I have had this problem this morning. Having had the box since the trial ive never had this problem before but this morning it was exactly as described by Anaglypta and took six minutes in total..,

its looking more and more that this has been caused by the latest update
  • northernnorthern Posts: 241Member
    edited 22 February 2017, 5:07PM
    just wonder if YV are going to make any comment on this ?
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 6 November 2012, 9:53AM
    SW1 said:

I have growing evidence this is a problem with the HDMI handshaking, last night my Sony 40Z4500 displayed a message something like 'device does not support the audio format selected'.

Can I assume everyone in this thread who see's the problem is connected by HDMI? If they get the box into the state where it seems to have not booted, does the front of the box display the channel name, e.g. BBC HD? If it does while in this state does the SCART output work? I suspect it does.

Also, do people with this problem, also get the issue where the box takes a long time to change channel and/or enter or exit the guide?

My YV query number is 7146-135176576, I emailed Humax yesterday for support, but from other findings, I think this is a YV issue.

I can confirm that I have never had this issue, and I don't use HDMI, only SCART
    edited 6 November 2012, 10:07AM
    SW1 said:

I have had the issue and connect to my Sony Bravia by HDMI
    edited 6 November 2012, 10:14AM
    SW1 said:

In my OP I unusually turned the TV on first and switched it to the YV source so I could see everything that was happening on screen as I turned on the YV box. Normally I first fire up the YV box then turn the TV, HDMI switch and amp on and make coffee catching up with the news on the TV tuner or on the radio, only switching to the YV box when I see it is ready on its front panel. I have not had the problem for several days.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 760Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 10:55AM
    SW1 said:

Hi SW my box is connected through SCART, though as an observation the box hangs when the front display changes to showing the FULL indicator. During a normal boot this indicator goes out leaving the front panel blank for a few seconds prior to getting channel info and output to the TV.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 6 November 2012, 10:43AM
    SW1 said:

Anaglypta
    Exactly same here - couldn't have described it better
    SCART here also

Grebo
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,993Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2012, 10:45AM
    I too have experienced a long boot up on eco mode after updating to latest software. Its happened at least twice. However this morning i made the effort to time the start up, and it seems to be back to 1:43 on eco mode. What is the start up time supposed to be?
    I also get about 1m45s... except when it stalls.
    edited 6 November 2012, 11:00AM
    bramble said:

I also get about 1m45s... except when it stalls.

1.43.44 actually ;-)