CEC or not CEC - that is the question

RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Is the Humax supposed to be a CEC device? (CEC has various proprietary names - it's Anynet+ on my Samsung TV - but it's the system whereby control signals flow in the HDMI cable as well as video and sound).

On choosing Sources on my Samsung TV remote, I see the Humax described as a HDMI 1 / CEC device (Tuner), but on selecting that, there is a short pause, and then the TV reports it can't find a CEC device there, and the entry disappears from the TV Sources list.

Fortunately, the Humax can also be found on an HDMI 1/ DVI entry which also appears, and I choose it from there.

But it looks as if the Humax is advertising itself as a CEC device, and then failing the handshake when the TV tries to establish communication that way.

The previous occupant of the HDMI port was a BT Vision box, which does not have CEC, and never appeared as if it did have it, so I reckon it's not just the TV making an assumption, it is the Humax advertising CEC.

The occupant of HDMI 2 is a Sony BluRay player that does have CEC, and handshakes perfectly with the TV.

Also it actually grabs the TV if I turn it on, which is a CEC sort of thing to do. The BT Vision didn't, and the Humax doesn't, which I think rather militates against it being a true CEC device at present.

However, I think I would like the Humax to be a true CEC device, and to grab the TV when turned on, so we don't have to bother to select it on the Samsung remote. Unless anyone can see a downside to this?
‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley

Comments

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 876Member
    edited 25 February 2017, 9:03PM
    We have a Samsung 46D5520. Both the BD player on HDMI1 and the YV box on HDMI2 switch the TV on when they are switched on.

The blu ray player is listed in the Sources but HDMI2 just shows a blank. I can't remember whether Anynet names attached devices or it's a user action.

I can't see a drawback if the function is present or can be enabled, as a timer recording (say during the night, or when we're away) wouldn't auto switch the TV on in the same way - I hope.
  • TechnogranTechnogran Posts: 152Member
    edited 1 November 2012, 6:26AM
    My Samsung TV does see the Humax as a HDMI CEC device but doesn't always report this under the Anynet+ listings. When I switch the Humax on, the TV also switches on and then (once the Humax has fully booted) switches to the correct HDMI input.
    As its the first time that Humax have enabled this type of HDMI connection on any of their units, I feel that its temperamental in usage, and doesn't always work correctly. For example, it should also switch your TV off when you switch the unit off but this has never worked.
    For what its worth, my Samsung behaves (in the AV list) in exactly the same way as yours. (doesn't see the unit if I click on the Anynet+ tuner choice. )
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    On my Samsung TV you have to manually give each source input a name from the drop-down list. Press Tools with the source list on screen.
    edited 1 November 2012, 10:22AM
    Same with mine Gomez, although not sure if you can name the Anynet+ connected devices. Does yours also switch your TV off when you switch it off? That has not occurred for me. So in my connected list (AV) on my TV, the Humax unit is seen under one of the HDMI connections AND as a Anynet+ Tuner......
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 1 November 2012, 10:34AM
    I never bothered to get to grips with Anynet+ as I am not even sure what it is supposed to do for me.
  • iSPYiSPY Posts: 166Member
    edited 1 November 2012, 3:05PM
    Anynet+ is a pain in the ar*e. On my Samsung 40ES8000 it duplicates devices the same as Technograns, it will not switch my Amp on (Pionneer VSX-910) when I put the TV on which my 2 year old Panny did. When I switch on the YouView box it will switch on the TV but not onto the right input, so I have to choose it on the Source Menu. If I turn the YouView box off the TV remains on with a message No Signal so therefore have to choose TV from the Source Menu. I have posted on a Samsung TV thread on AV Forums and it seems that Samsung Anynet+ is a bit of a pain. The Panasonic I also have is straightforward.
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:29PM
    gomez said:

On my Samsung TV you have to manually give each source input a name from the drop-down list. Press Tools with the source list on screen.

Thanks gomez :-)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Thanks, all. Definitely time to swap the Humax and my DigitalStream, to see how the Humax fares with the big Sony TV.

The DS doesn't claim to be CEC, so it should be fine with my current procedure on the Sammy TV.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 1 November 2012, 7:01PM
    iSPY said:

Anynet+ is a pain in the ar*e. On my Samsung 40ES8000 it duplicates devices the same as Technograns, it will not switch my Amp on (Pionneer VSX-910) when I put the TV on which my 2 year old Panny did. When I switch on the YouView box it will switch on the TV but not onto the right input, so I have to choose it on the Source Menu. If I turn the YouView box off the TV remains on with a message No Signal so therefore have to choose TV from the Source Menu. I have posted on a Samsung TV thread on AV Forums and it seems that Samsung Anynet+ is a bit of a pain. The Panasonic I also have is straightforward.

I have to say though that it has worked flawlessly with previous equipment attached such as the 3View unit when I owned that, and my current Sony Blue Ray player, its just with this Humax YouView unit that I find it seems to be confused (i.e, sees it under a HDMI connection, AND also as a Tuner, though if you click on it, says its not connected) I do find that mine switches to the correct HDMI input, but only after the Humax has gone through its boot up routine and then begins to display the channel (channel name is shown in the display)

Its a moot point really as to who to blame, either Samsung or Humax in the implementation of CEC control.
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 4Member
    edited 22 January 2013, 5:12PM
    I'm experiencing the same thing. Anynet is a fail with my humax box. annoying.
    Only one routine is guaranteed to work on my set-up...

Switch Samsung blu-ray on, it switches the Yamaha amp on, and the Samsung TV.

Anything else is hit and miss, depending on the source last used on the TV.

The amp doesn't have pass-through on standby, so I'll never connect my YV box to it via HDMI anyway.
    My Anynet now works, since the latest update, but not for long, though it comes back after a >8 restart. I do one daily...
  • edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Is the TalkTalk Huawei box supposed to be a CEC device?
    I don't think so.
    But maybe someone would be kind enough to explain a little more about this...
    I've always been puzzled by how many complaints there have been in this forum about CEC problems. Is this because Humax users expect their remote control to fully control their TVs as well as their YouView boxes, and to do all the intelligent power on/off switching and source selection that CEC is supposed to do?
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    Roy, my DTR-T1010 does take control of the TV, annoyingly before its actually finished booting at the "nearly ready" stage. I would much prefer the box to be dormant until its actually ready to give me a picture.

I have noticed this a few times, click on the TV and switch to Freesat or Freeview via the TV tuners and wait for the Youview box to catch up, only to be dumped at the Youview "nearly ready" screen, manually having to flick back to the TV tuners. Annoying.

So yes there is a downside. "nearly ready" is not ready. I am not sure if the grabbing could be delayed until the Youview box is truely ready, if it grabbed control in a usable state I would not mind at all.

Is there anyway I can stop the Youview box taking control? As not sure if this will ever be even looked at.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    gwatuk said:

Is the TalkTalk Huawei box supposed to be a CEC device?
    I don't think so.
    But maybe someone would be kind enough to explain a little more about this...
    I've always been puzzled by how many complaints there have been in this forum about CEC problems. Is this because Humax users expect their remote control to fully control their TVs as well as their YouView boxes, and to do all the intelligent power on/off switching and source selection that CEC is supposed to do?

Yes it is. It's in the tech spec, and Humax had to strive to make it work properly.

I just assumed all you silent TT users had it all along.

I expect my Humax YouView box, when turned on, to turn on my TV, if it's in standby, and to switch to the source for YouView whether the TV is turned on or not.

And since the latest update, it does this, though I know it doesn't do it for everyone, probably depending on the make and model of TV they have, or if they can/have disabled CEC deliberately for their set.

I don't expect it to turn the TV off when I turn the YouView box off, though.

Arguably it should if it turned the TV on, and not if it didn't, but it doesn't do that (yet?) And I'm not sure I'd want it to, either. Just drop me back to the last TV channel I had on, and I'm quite happy.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    stormy said:

Roy, my DTR-T1010 does take control of the TV, annoyingly before its actually finished booting at the "nearly ready" stage. I would much prefer the box to be dormant until its actually ready to give me a picture.

I have noticed this a few times, click on the TV and switch to Freesat or Freeview via the TV tuners and wait for the Youview box to catch up, only to be dumped at the Youview "nearly ready" screen, manually having to flick back to the TV tuners. Annoying.

So yes there is a downside. "nearly ready" is not ready. I am not sure if the grabbing could be delayed until the Youview box is truely ready, if it grabbed control in a usable state I would not mind at all.

Is there anyway I can stop the Youview box taking control? As not sure if this will ever be even looked at.

You can see if your TV lets you disable CEC, by whatever trade name this HDMI switching is called by on your set. But then it won't work for bluray either. I don't think you can turn it off in the YouView box menus.

FWIW, my bluray player also grabs the TV long before it's ready. I normally read a book, or make a few forum posts while waiting, rather than switching back to the adverts :-)
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    stormy said:

:)
  • Simon12Simon12 Posts: 390Member
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM
    So does anyone know if an update we might have had on our Huawei boxes have fixed this issue for TT users.

I had HDMI-CEC enabled on my Sammy Plasma prior to getting the YV box, and it worked without fault for all inputs. As soon as the Huawei arrived it got completely screwed up. So I had to turn it off on my Sammy Plasma. :((
    Roy is right - in that there is nothing in the YV menus to disable it. Which bearing mind it doesn't work properly is not good.
    In my case if I turned it on it thought it was my Blu-ray player, and stopped that talking to the TV properly.

Haven't tried it recently, but as we TT users have had little to report in the way of updates, I assumed it was still broke.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    stormy said:

Does the Humax remote act as a remote for your TV if you've first hit the TV button?
    stormy said:

Yes, but I don't have a source button on the Youview remote to switch the TV AV inputs so have to dig out the TV remote again.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    stormy said:

So is that why so many people complain about CEC?
    The Huawei's remote is quite different. The top row of buttons are YouView box on/off, TV source selector, TV on/off. So if you always use the YouView box with the TV the Huawei remote provides control for all the most commonly used functions.
    CEC problems have never worried me.
    stormy said:

My CEC complaint wouldn't really be there if the Youview box waited to send the handshake signal once TV pictures were available to be honest. Doesn't need to handshake with the TV at power on or 'nearly ready' stage IMO.