When does a topic conversation become a discussion and progress to debate, disagreement or argument,

2»

Comments

• ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 7 November 2012, 11:56PM
    Keith1 said:

Since some posts have mentioned the forum system itself I thought I should comment on that too although I would suggest we do not run away with a discussion of that within this topic :)

In terms of the forum system itself and problems that it may exacerbate etc, personally I do not think having a second forum would be a good idea (even if technically the features of that forum system have benefits over this one (but could equally have downsides too even if not for us then perhaps for YouView)). I think it is important to make this forum as helpful and information rich as possible for anyone who needs it.

At present it appears to me that although there are 12 YouView staff formally registered on the forum there is only actually one member of staff acting as a forum moderator/administrator, i.e. Jesse. The only other YouView person who has I believe made more than one post on the public forum is Piers and he is I believe from the technical team and just stepping in when required to give more technical specific responses.

YouView of course could focus more staff on the forum, e.g. during the trials there were a wider variety of staff responding and those other people appeared to be from the general support team etc. Whether this would be of benefit is not of course clear and does depend on what additional input might be required, the specific knowledge those people have and what information they are permitted to share.

If the desire is for more specific answers to problems and updates on the status of issues then it would need someone to either facilitate posting that information after first discussing it with the relevant team or person (outside of direct customer support) within YouView or for such technical people (in addition to Piers) to be asked to post directly where appropriate.

If the desire is to have a little more intervention, administration and moderation then YouView could task more support team members with input to the forum or they could progress their considerations of assistance from customers/the community. The Get Satisfaction system has the concept of a champerator which is a champion moderator. A champion status is something YouView bestow (or revoke) 'to acknowledge users who make a large contribution to the community and who fill an informal leadership role' and one may consider that they also need to see such people as universally respected etc. A champerator is a champion who also has customer moderator/administrator status.

A champerator could for example have more support from the community to consider changes that a staff moderator may choose not to make, e.g. they might choose to remove the answered flag from the topic on manually adding padding and/or even change it to a problem or idea rather than a question etc. A champerator does not have all the permissions of a staff moderator so could not ban someone from the forum or post official support links etc.

During the trials someone (you, I and others may remember who you are ;-) ) proposed that I should moderate the (trials) forum. That suggestion met with much support but also rightly met with questions of why a customer moderator would be of any benefit (or in fact if any moderation/administration role were required). At that time after the discussion had run for a while I posted on that topic:

I suppose I cannot pretend I have not seen this thread :)

In general I agree with the point made by A, Q and C that in broad terms a main difficult at present is the forum system/software more than that it is a need to have a moderator. The youview staff are clearly on the forum at times and, as well as adding a company perspective on topics, are no doubt performing some oversight/administration/moderation function.

There are clearly quite a number of people on the forum posting quality responses and generally being helpful which is a key point of a forum if it is to work well.

Any moderator type of role for a forum such as this should be quite light touch and mainly there to help keep things moving efficiently. Such a role could not be done by one person in general (e.g. that person may go on holiday and decide not to keep an eye on things from afar so others need to be there to ensure whatever the moderators are doing keeps getting done).

For now this is a forum setup by youview and we are all here to help them and the community so we and they can get the best out of this device. If in the future youview have plans for a permanent forum they could then choose how to oversee it and that could be by providing enough in house staff time (which would not be much but would need to be spread over a few people) or by asking some of the community to help or a mixture of both. This forum though has only been going for less than two weeks so the time for that is no doubt still some time away.
    and also
    I should have added earlier that the "votes of confidence" and thanks above and on other topics are appreciated :-)

Perhaps we should also be offering thanks to those who have made particularly large numbers of responses which appears to include a number of the people who have contributed to this topic and the consolidated list of feature requests topic ;-)

Then of course we should not forget others with equally valuable contributions even if less overall responses (which is a set that probably includes me).

So perhaps I should leave it there by basically saying thanks to everyone who is contributing to the forum.
    It would seem since then the number of posts by me has certainly gone up and, I would estimate, puts me somewhere in the top 5 posters on the public forum, although I'm still posting at less than half the rate of some although my word count is no doubt quite high ;-)

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.Very well said Keith, keep up the good work! ;-)
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:24PM
    Keith1 said:

Since some posts have mentioned the forum system itself I thought I should comment on that too although I would suggest we do not run away with a discussion of that within this topic :)

In terms of the forum system itself and problems that it may exacerbate etc, personally I do not think having a second forum would be a good idea (even if technically the features of that forum system have benefits over this one (but could equally have downsides too even if not for us then perhaps for YouView)). I think it is important to make this forum as helpful and information rich as possible for anyone who needs it.

At present it appears to me that although there are 12 YouView staff formally registered on the forum there is only actually one member of staff acting as a forum moderator/administrator, i.e. Jesse. The only other YouView person who has I believe made more than one post on the public forum is Piers and he is I believe from the technical team and just stepping in when required to give more technical specific responses.

YouView of course could focus more staff on the forum, e.g. during the trials there were a wider variety of staff responding and those other people appeared to be from the general support team etc. Whether this would be of benefit is not of course clear and does depend on what additional input might be required, the specific knowledge those people have and what information they are permitted to share.

If the desire is for more specific answers to problems and updates on the status of issues then it would need someone to either facilitate posting that information after first discussing it with the relevant team or person (outside of direct customer support) within YouView or for such technical people (in addition to Piers) to be asked to post directly where appropriate.

If the desire is to have a little more intervention, administration and moderation then YouView could task more support team members with input to the forum or they could progress their considerations of assistance from customers/the community. The Get Satisfaction system has the concept of a champerator which is a champion moderator. A champion status is something YouView bestow (or revoke) 'to acknowledge users who make a large contribution to the community and who fill an informal leadership role' and one may consider that they also need to see such people as universally respected etc. A champerator is a champion who also has customer moderator/administrator status.

A champerator could for example have more support from the community to consider changes that a staff moderator may choose not to make, e.g. they might choose to remove the answered flag from the topic on manually adding padding and/or even change it to a problem or idea rather than a question etc. A champerator does not have all the permissions of a staff moderator so could not ban someone from the forum or post official support links etc.

During the trials someone (you, I and others may remember who you are ;-) ) proposed that I should moderate the (trials) forum. That suggestion met with much support but also rightly met with questions of why a customer moderator would be of any benefit (or in fact if any moderation/administration role were required). At that time after the discussion had run for a while I posted on that topic:

In general I agree with the point made by A, Q and C that in broad terms a main difficult at present is the forum system/software more than that it is a need to have a moderator. The youview staff are clearly on the forum at times and, as well as adding a company perspective on topics, are no doubt performing some oversight/administration/moderation function.

There are clearly quite a number of people on the forum posting quality responses and generally being helpful which is a key point of a forum if it is to work well.

Any moderator type of role for a forum such as this should be quite light touch and mainly there to help keep things moving efficiently. Such a role could not be done by one person in general (e.g. that person may go on holiday and decide not to keep an eye on things from afar so others need to be there to ensure whatever the moderators are doing keeps getting done).

For now this is a forum setup by youview and we are all here to help them and the community so we and they can get the best out of this device. If in the future youview have plans for a permanent forum they could then choose how to oversee it and that could be by providing enough in house staff time (which would not be much but would need to be spread over a few people) or by asking some of the community to help or a mixture of both. This forum though has only been going for less than two weeks so the time for that is no doubt still some time away.
    and also
    I should have added earlier that the "votes of confidence" and thanks above and on other topics are appreciated :-)

Perhaps we should also be offering thanks to those who have made particularly large numbers of responses which appears to include a number of the people who have contributed to this topic and the consolidated list of feature requests topic ;-)

Then of course we should not forget others with equally valuable contributions even if less overall responses (which is a set that probably includes me).

So perhaps I should leave it there by basically saying thanks to everyone who is contributing to the forum.
    It would seem since then the number of posts by me has certainly gone up and, I would estimate, puts me somewhere in the top 5 posters on the public forum, although I'm still posting at less than half the rate of some although my word count is no doubt quite high ;-)

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.Hi Keith

I thought the thread itself was very useful and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn if I say that the idea of a customer moderator isn't something I'd see as improving the forum.

Bestowing a 'higher status' on some users - and that's how my experience tells me it'd be seen - can create resentment from those not chosen and encourage others to pester for the same 'promotion'.

The first group can end up feeling under appreciated, reduce their posting levels and eventually walk away and the second group just become a pain for everyone.

Once the perception that there's a 'path to promotion' people will answer every thread seeking gold stars with the expectation that once they've clocked up as many as 'Superuser X' they'll get a special forum rank.

I also think it's hard to see where the authority for final decisions rests when the person dishing out the wrist slaps is someone who bought (or got given) a box just like every other forum poster.

Obviously it's YouView's forum and they can do what they like but I really don't think this is the best way forward.
  • Dave71Dave71 Member Posts: 95
    edited 8 November 2012, 10:38AM
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.It can easily go down that path, but I think a lot depends on how moderators choose to moderate. If they take the approach that they're 'exerting authority', then people won't like that.

I'm a MVP/moderator on a peer-to-peer forum for some business software. It has similarities to this forum; representatives from the company do browse the forum and occassionally comment, but not very often and usually just when there's a real problem/bug with the actual software.

The company itself asks people to become MVPs, and also asks the existing MVPs if they recommend anyone new. So it's not based on quantity of posts or a rank/promotion system, it's based on other's opinion of the quality and helpfulness of your posts.

MVPs are given 'super-powers' on the forum, so you can delete/lock posts, and all the usual stuff.

In return, the company gives free licences to all the MVPs/moderators and $50 in vouchers at Christmas, which is a nice incentive to stay involved.

I've not seen any of the MVPs experience problems with having an 'authority' status; but I think that's because the MVPs are seen to be more as helpful/experienced fellow-posters, rather than the 'forum police'.
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.As you say, a lot depends on the MVPs themselves and how they behave but I've seen good forums ruined by the desire to become a mod once similar systems are put in place and I'd hate to see that happen here.

I'm not looking to a doomster, just adding in the other side of the equation.

I'm also not sure the forum needs moderating anyway.

I've seen people asking for more ANSWERS from YouView staff, I've not really seen anyone saying they want the YV staff to go round slapping people's wrists.

Now, it might be some of the more back and fro discussions would have ended quicker had the YV staff stepping in with 'official answers' but that's not the same thing as moderation.
    edited 8 November 2012, 11:19AM
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.Yep, the 'software update' thread is a good example of people wanting answers.
    What may work is to tell people YV won't be reading every post, and point them in the direction of the YV support contact details if they need a direct answer to their question.

But yes, hopefully moderators won't be required; I guess time will tell as the dynamics of the forum will change a lot as YV grows.
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.The other was the 'IPTV tuner' discussion - both went on a long time and I suppose could have been locked once a YV team member posted the official answer but then a lot of people would have felt like they were being unfairly silenced.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.Thanks Martin, I broadly agree that if such additional status is bestowed upon some users then it also has the potential to create problems rather than solve them as you describe. I also think though that Dave71 makes some very good points.

The term moderator is something I think that is not ideal in terms of representing the type of gentle oversight/support that the forum generally needs. As has been said one would see a moderator as taking a view on the posts people make and dealing with any issues they consider they present. Overall Jesse has removed very few posts in a moderation capacity and I expect not contacted anyone individually to ask them to moderate their behaviour.

As per my quoted comment from the trials I would see any action as being very light touch (whether it is by YouView staff or others) and in particular I would see this as more of a curator and facilitator role helping to nurture and sustain the forum and community rather than moderate anything. In general things tick along very well but I do think that on occasion the forum needs a little more gentle care, much of this is what Jesse already does such as improving topic titles, changing categories etc, but one person alone is not enough. As such YouView could just task additional staff to give such extra light touch support. Equally if they did create customer curators who are passionate but balanced about the product and community they could help with such tasks but should also be guided by the community. Clearly if the occasional actions of such customer curators were not seen as a positive precense then the process should be reviewed/ended etc.

Something I have suggested to YouView in the past is that prior to making announcements (such as the software release or IP channels announcements both of which resulted in very lengthy and at times circular or confusing threads) they could conduct more peer review of the text internally first in order to try to minimise gaps, inaccuracies or scope for misunderstanding when published. I've also said though they could run such announcements past a sample group of customers too. If that had been done with the software release announcement I would have expected to see the list of changes be much more comprehensive and also include brief details of how changes work (e.g. the need to adjust a setting for surround sound or how to hide and unhide channels etc) and any bugs fixed.

It could also be useful at times to be able to communicate outside of the forum with Jesse, Piers and perhaps a few other YouView staff. Whilst YouView are not required to comment on the forum even when some people directly ask for some feedback it could be useful for someone in a community facilitator role to be able to ask for guidance and/or a response etc by communicating outside of the forum.

Overall there is not much wrong with the way the forum works but equally I could see how some very small changes could make significant improvements too.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I know it is always sensible to plan ahead, but also, the general maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it ...." is also a sensible way forward. Currently, I feel the forum "ain't broke", and works well in general.

Putting people on trust to moderate themselves is, in general, preferable to saying to them "we think you need a fatherly eye, albeit benevolent, watching over you", and is more likely to lead to a forum that is self-regulating, well-behaved and self-disciplined.

in addition, some of the forum members have, in the past, posted 'moderating' type comments - which have been effective on those few occasions when intervention was needed.

In the light of this, I agree that the situation needs to be kept an eye on, but for the time being, I am in favour of the status quo.
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.Hi Keith

Something I was remiss in not making clear is that my remarks weren't because I didn't think you deserved the red cape and 'M' on your chest or would act in any way improperly.

I hope you didn't take the comments to be aimed at you specifiically.
    edited 8 November 2012, 12:41PM

I know it is always sensible to plan ahead, but also, the general maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it ...." is also a sensible way forward. Currently, I feel the forum "ain't broke", and works well in general.

Putting people on trust to moderate themselves is, in general, preferable to saying to them "we think you need a fatherly eye, albeit benevolent, watching over you", and is more likely to lead to a forum that is self-regulating, well-behaved and self-disciplined.

in addition, some of the forum members have, in the past, posted 'moderating' type comments - which have been effective on those few occasions when intervention was needed.

In the light of this, I agree that the situation needs to be kept an eye on, but for the time being, I am in favour of the status quo.

Good idea, maybe Status Quo would take time out from 'rocking all over the world' to help out on the forum.
  • edited 8 November 2012, 12:42PM

Agree with churchwarden, so he gets a gold star ;-)
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.Hi Martin - no problem, I did not take your comments personally and very much support in broad terms what you have said.

I certainly do not want to start wearing my pants over my trousers like a superhero or ride a white horse and gallop in when least expected etc.

Generally I'm open to seeing how things go as they are, seeing YouView add more support from within, or YouView exploring options with the community in general :)

(The smiley is specially for you as I know you like them so much ;-) )
    Keith1 said:

and also

The position as ever though is it is up to YouView to decide how to run the forum and when and if to seek more formal assistance from me or other customers for the forum or other activities. YouView know I am happy to help them as, when and where I can but equally I do not expect that they should ask for my help nor necessarily need it, or that they would not consider others better suited to help/more appropriate depending on YouView's needs and objectives.ha!

One of things I do like about this forum is the lack of ranking and PM system - many of the more common forum softwares reserve being able to send a PM until you've reached X number of posts.

The intention is to stop spamming but all that happens is new poster X posts away in a frenzy desperate to gain the ability to PM people and get their rank from 'just starting out' or 'new member' to another level.

Oh, and the lack of the 'wry' or 'sarcastic' smiley that peppers every other sentence on Digital Spy.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Dave: I was on the point of reporting your post for the appalling joke. However, I managed to restrain myself JUST as I was about to press the button. Notwithstanding that, I do feel a warning shot across the bows is in order. Do it again and we will find out where you live ....

LOL, Martin - "Can I wear it on my jumper, please ....?"