BBC Iplayer buffering and dropping out a lot?

Comments

• edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    18 days ago Phil said: "Hi everyone, the BBC have made a few back-end changes to tackle the buffering issue on iPlayer."
    There hasn't been much comment about this problem lately.
    My experience is that buffering problems are now very infrequent.

Any updates?
  • Jon MillsJon Mills Member Posts: 4
    edited 3 November 2013, 2:54PM
    I get no problem now. But then I didn't really either after setting a static IP. I think that really is the clinker.
  • Michael FarewellMichael Farewell Member Posts: 4
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    The Static IP thing is a complete red herring, it couldn't make any difference. Since the reported backend update, BBC Iplayer has been responding as well as all of my BBC Iplayer instances, it does tend to have a lag when a programme first starts but other than that I have not experienced the extreme buffering incidents. Thanks BBC for resolving this issue.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Michael

We have a Samsung smart TV that forgets its Internet settings every time it is switched off, if you allow it to auto-determine these settings, but works fine if we set the (identical) settings manually.

Given this experience, I an entirely open to the suggestion that YouView boxes will operate differently, in some respects, if the Connection settings are made manually.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 4 November 2013, 9:15AM
    Roy

In your samsung case that would make a difference, it is a bug in the samsung, but in the case of these boxes, having a static IP might improve a situation where the unit was failing to make a connection when you turn it on, I do not think it would make any difference once a network connection is established.

In most cases you will find that the same ip address is assigned to the same unit every time you turn it on anyway. Around the time people reported an improvement thanks to the static ip I had the same improvement, whilst still on a dynamic one. There are so many reasons for connection issues, if others are reporting things as OK, then I suspect people still with issues need to start looking at their own local connections.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    gwatuk said:

18 days ago Phil said: "Hi everyone, the BBC have made a few back-end changes to tackle the buffering issue on iPlayer."

Any updates?

Hi gwatuk, I'm engaging a number of viewers on here who are still having this issue and feeding back to the BBC to investigate.

If you would like me to forward the questions to you via email if would be very handy to get some feedback on this problem which I can pass over to them.

Phil
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM

The Static IP thing is a complete red herring, it couldn't make any difference. Since the reported backend update, BBC Iplayer has been responding as well as all of my BBC Iplayer instances, it does tend to have a lag when a programme first starts but other than that I have not experienced the extreme buffering incidents. Thanks BBC for resolving this issue.

Hi Michael, I'm glad to hear this is now working without issue for you. The lag you experience at the start, is this the same as you get from other devices?
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    gwatuk said:

Any updates?

That would be good.
    I think you have my email address.
    Smiley
    edited 4 November 2013, 4:04PM

No it is only on the You View Box, on my playstation, or browser it just launches straight into the content, there is always a significant pause and buffer sign when a programme starts, just after the first couple of frames.
  • Jim Richardson2Jim Richardson2 Member Posts: 9
    edited 5 November 2013, 7:34PM
    Hmm The local IP address ( I would guess) remains the same as the router allocates those addresses the IP address that your router obtains from your ISP may alter on each reboot of your router.
    That said if you obtain a connection to an Iplayer socket does the Iplayer hold that socket open or does this degrade, if the iplayer does not receive some notification from the client, .... leading to the socket being terminated to the client and given to another client.
  • sugarpovasugarpova Member Posts: 37
    edited 6 November 2013, 7:58AM
    Some time ago I suggested using the YouView box's memory to improve buffering performance. I still think this is a good idea!
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • Peter DayPeter Day Member Posts: 14
    edited 7 November 2013, 10:58AM
    Here's a laugh (maybe). Yesterday I received an e-mail from BT saying I could have an extra 18 channels for £2 a month (National Geo etc). The BT system never lets me sign up for things online (a technical glitch in that it doesn't believe I actually exist) so I called them today to order it and was told I had to have the YouView box directly connected to the router and that I couldn't use Powerline adapters. When I pointed out that the YouView box was delivered with Powerline adapters the guy claimed that was for the old broadband, not infinity. I quickly disabused him of that notion by telling him I had Infinity first - then TV/YouView.
    But it transpires the BT sales people have been told the YouView box should be directly connected and not to take orders if that cannot be achieved! He placed my order but said he could not guarantee it would work. He had no technical information or knowledge to back that up.
    Talk about a dog's dinner!
    edited 7 November 2013, 12:41PM
    And just for completeness....the extra channels work fine through Powerline adapters!
  • Charles TomalinCharles Tomalin Member Posts: 2
    edited 8 November 2013, 7:30PM
    8th November and we still have major buffering problems with our youview. BBC 'fix' hasn't made any difference to us.
    For info we're on virgin 20mb and get just that - 20mb....
  • clive lawfordclive lawford Member Posts: 3
    edited 9 November 2013, 12:27PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone, the BBC have made a few back-end changes to tackle the buffering issue on iPlayer. From 6PM this evening can you check if you are still encountering any issues with programme playback and let me know your experience so I can feed this back to them.

Thanks,

Phil

No change Phil. Phoned your tech help number today and the guy who answered "hadn't heard that there was such an issue with iPlayer"!!!
    edited 9 November 2013, 1:16PM
    No changel. Phoned YV tech help number today and the guy who answered "hadn't heard that there was such an issue with iPlayer"!!! Hopeless.
  • Peter Thompson1Peter Thompson1 Member Posts: 15
    edited 5 January 2014, 4:01PM
    This thread has gone quiet - am I the only one still suffering this issue? Or has there been a 'fix'...
    edited 5 January 2014, 3:12PM

This thread has gone quiet - am I the only one still suffering this issue? Or has there been a 'fix'...

Yes, that's strange isn't it. Particularly as the problems I have been experiencing have got significantly worse. I now frequently find that I select a programme to watch in iPlayer, it then goes to the screen that tells me more about the program. I click OK and the buffering things starts to spin (as per normal) but the program never starts and the box stops responding to button presses.  Sometimes it proceeds to close down itself after a pause of some minutes, but yesterday I had to restart it. Second attempt normally works - and at least it then plays through without buffering again. But pretty frustration. I think I'm going to put a network switch behind the TV so I can feed the TV direct (it having iPlayer built in)

Can't compare to with 4OD etc because of the frustration of not being able to skip through ads, so the only way I watch progs from ITV, 4 etc is by recording them myself.
  • BoDBoD Member Posts: 69
    edited 5 January 2014, 4:01PM

Problem still exists. It's the nature of people to give up and find an alternative ie use the same function on their smartTV.
    I gave up until last week and thought I would give it a go. Latest SW version. Started stuttering from the start so thought give it a few seconds but no. Unwatchable. Rebooted the YV box and it was then fine. Same as 6 months ago.
    I really should have just cancelled my contract with BT and given the box back as it's probably the worst performing PVR device I have ever had.
    edited 5 January 2014, 7:16PM
    I am still having problems with Iplayer on my Humax YV box but not on laptop and not on recently acquired Panasonic Smart TV!
  • Robin1Robin1 Member Posts: 7
    edited 6 January 2014, 2:12PM
    I'm still having this issue with my BT YV box.
  • Neil7Neil7 Member Posts: 9
    edited 1 February 2014, 11:40PM
    I'm still having have a problem with iplayer on my BT supplied youview box.  I'm on BT infinity, I get 78Mbps down and the box is directly connected via ethernet.  Tried watching mastermind on iplayer and I got the spinning wheel and the program failed to start up.  Later on I watched sound city on BBC 4 and this time it started up, it froze a couple of times but the video resumed after a seconds.  Towards the end of the program it froze again and this this the box refused to respond and locked up completely.  I had to turn the box off and on.
  • Alan7Alan7 Member Posts: 10
    edited 16 March 2016, 7:48PM
    Agree - this is still an issue.  iPlayer through YouView still buffers regularly and fails with 'try again later'. iPlayer works perfectly for us on smart TV, but via the Youview box it keeps falling over. This needs resolving!
  • Peter SharpePeter Sharpe Member Posts: 3
    edited 3 February 2014, 10:23AM
    Piers2 said:

Hi all. We're looking into it but this is one of these problems that most people are not affected by and it's not possible to reproduce it at YouView HQ. That said, we know it's frustrating and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of it. Here's what we know now:

1) We can't reproduce on the ISP lines we have here in the office. (mainly TalkTalk & BT).
    2) From the reports on the forum and elsewhere, it doesn't seem to be limited to a single ISP, and both BT, TalkTalk and Virgin have been mentioned. In at least one case, the ISP supplied router seems to be to blame (Virgin SuperHub)
    3) It's not obviously associated with being on the "wrong" ISP tarrif.
    4) Those affected don't seem to have the same problem with PC/web iPlayer.
    5) BBC iPlayer on YouView uses a different method of video playback from the other YouView apps and this could explain why it doesn't behave the same way.
    6) There's no YouView managed software involved, so any fixes will need to come from the BBC or from Humax and Huawei. We'll co-ordinate with their tech teams as needed.

We'll try to to build up a pattern of what's going on, so any specific reports would be useful, including:

date, time, programme you were trying to watch, when the buffering occurred (start, middle or end etc.), SD or HD, ISP, connection type (ADSL/Fibre), download and upload speed. router make and model, type of YouView box (Humax/BT or TalkTalk)

thanks.

This happens frequently, but for some reason most often on hour-long programmes. It usually freezes after about five or six seconds and I can't even switch the box off with the remote control, so that I have to unplug the power supply at the back. I get a connection speed of 16Mbps, so that isn't the problem.
  • Bill MetcalfBill Metcalf Member Posts: 2
    edited 3 February 2014, 6:02PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi all. We're looking into it but this is one of these problems that most people are not affected by and it's not possible to reproduce it at YouView HQ. That said, we know it's frustrating and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of it. Here's what we know now:

1) We can't reproduce on the ISP lines we have here in the office. (mainly TalkTalk & BT).
    2) From the reports on the forum and elsewhere, it doesn't seem to be limited to a single ISP, and both BT, TalkTalk and Virgin have been mentioned. In at least one case, the ISP supplied router seems to be to blame (Virgin SuperHub)
    5) BBC iPlayer on YouView uses a different method of video playback from the other YouView apps and this could explain why it doesn't behave the same way.
    6) There's no YouView managed software involved, so any fixes will need to come from the BBC or from Humax and Huawei. We'll co-ordinate with their tech teams as needed.

We'll try to to build up a pattern of what's going on, so any specific reports would be useful, including:

date, time, programme you were trying to watch, when the buffering occurred (start, middle or end etc.), SD or HD, ISP, connection type (ADSL/Fibre), download and upload speed. router make and model, type of YouView box (Humax/BT or TalkTalk)

thanks.

I have exactly the same problem with a Humax box. I tried a 20m wired connection and also a PLA: there was no difference.
    I use BT with ~ 18MB connection.
    One point of interest: in frustration I restored the factory settings on the Humax box and it found the router OK but I had to have three attempts at connecting to the Internet: I have no idea as to why!
    However, I do have a firewall (DrayTek Vigor) programmed to separate my server and domestic traffic. This has never been a problem in the past and I get perfectly satisfactory service on laptops and PDAs.

Bill M
  • gavmangavman Member Posts: 2
    edited 3 February 2014, 11:06PM
    Piers2 said:

thanks.

Happens on my you view but not when I use ps3 running on same switch which runs GB to bt home hub...... **** you view box.
  • gavmangavman Member Posts: 2
    edited 3 February 2014, 11:06PM
    Piers2 said:

thanks.

Happens on my you view but not when I use ps3 running on same switch which runs GB to bt home hub...... **** you view box.
  • Rob JonesRob Jones Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 February 2014, 6:18AM
    Piers2 said:

thanks.

Iplayer streaming is terrible. Only channel really effected.
    Humax bt box
    Latest software installed
    Pla BT's own which was shows no issues streaming HD Content on demand
    26MBps download
    Happened again last night three times whilst trying to watch silent witness pt2. Buffering circle on screen at 4,8,12 minutes and each one just crashed out and had to restart from guide.

Box software also very laggy since software update.

Gave up with you view in end and used Apple TV!
  • Peter Thompson1Peter Thompson1 Member Posts: 15
    edited 7 February 2014, 11:03AM
    Piers2 said:

thanks.

Still happening to me too. Tried watching 'Restaurant Man' last night, and got the spinning doughnut after only a few minutes! Incredibly frustrating - my download speed is 72Mb - and I DID NOT get the problem with the BT Vision box, only since getting the YouView box.
  • Bill MetcalfBill Metcalf Member Posts: 2
    edited 10 February 2014, 3:33PM
    Piers2 said:

thanks.

I had this problem put it has gone away coincident with me installing a Netgear switch close to the Humax digibox.

I can't say that this is a universal solution but it appears to work in my location.

Perhaps the Netgear switch is more robust in terms of dropped packets or some-such: I don't know. Catch-up skiing was superb - with no drop-outs!