BBC Iplayer buffering and dropping out a lot?

Comments

• Christine StibbardsChristine Stibbards Member Posts: 17
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Since I reset the box, it's only been on once to watch Eastenders on BBCi player and it ran without a glitch.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM

Since I reset the box, it's only been on once to watch Eastenders on BBCi player and it ran without a glitch.

Unlike the lives of the characters therein :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 24 September 2013, 2:04PM

LOL too true. A visiting relative had missed her weekly fix of doom and gloom, so I thought it would be a good time to test the reset without having to sit for all that time myself. Win-win.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 24 September 2013, 2:36PM

Very hospitable of you. I would have suggested she watched it on her smartphone using earbuds. ;)
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM

It's fine to see you three hinting at how you regard Eastenders, but you might like to remember that your opinions are not shared by everyone...

"EastEnders was Thursday evening's (September 19) top-rated soap with Sam's shock health news, overnight figures show.
    6.99m (34.5%) watched at 7.30pm on BBC One as Sam revealed that he urgently needs a kidney transplant."

(By the way, I think it's execrable - is that the right word? I was going to use a four-letter one.)
    :-)
  • Stuart KingStuart King Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 September 2013, 8:56PM
    when i got my youview box with talktalk 6 weeks ago everything was fine. Now The bbc iplayer is completely unusable on the you view box. Like others on this thread my bbc player continually stops/buffers/restarts every few seconds. All other players on the you view box (and bbc player on other devices) work perfectly without issue.

Are we really saying that I have to set my you view box to have a static ip address to resolve this? Surely this is a software issue
  • Stuart KingStuart King Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 September 2013, 8:56PM

when i got my youview box with talktalk 6 weeks ago everything was fine. Now The bbc iplayer is completely unusable on the you view box. Like others on this thread my bbc player continually stops/buffers/restarts every few seconds. All other players on the you view box (and bbc player on other devices) work perfectly without issue.

Are we really saying that I have to set my you view box to have a static ip address to resolve this? Surely this is a software issue

Forgot to mention I have a 9Mbps download connection
    I've just found Neil Malley's suggestion above (http://community.youview.com/youview/...)
    Sam's post containing this was four days ago.
    It appears that only one person has tried it.

Has everyone given up on this issue?

I've tried this and (improbably) it seems to work.

Perhaps a few more people could check this out?

I haven't changed my router settings, just the connecton settings for the YouView box.
    This is very easy to do.
    It is under "Network & Internet" settings - "Wired Connection".
    (I set my IP address to 192.168.1.30, Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4)
  • trevor adamstrevor adams Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 September 2013, 5:30PM
    Just to give you my take on this. I am on BT, I had BT Vision box, never any issues with iplayer. Now got youview box, iplayer buffers and then fails. This happens on most iplayer programs. I was running over home-plug adaptors (as with BT Vision), so as recommended, run direct cable between home-hub and youview (floorboards up, the lot) no change. I also get issue with itvplayer buffering and failing. All was ok with BTVision (didn't have itvplayer) so from my point of view, points to the youview box.
  • Peter Thompson1Peter Thompson1 Member Posts: 15
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:06AM
    gwatuk said:

I've just found Neil Malley's suggestion above (http://community.youview.com/youview/...)
    Sam's post containing this was four days ago.
    It appears that only one person has tried it.

Has everyone given up on this issue?

I've tried this and (improbably) it seems to work.

Perhaps a few more people could check this out?

I haven't changed my router settings, just the connecton settings for the YouView box.
    This is very easy to do.
    It is under "Network & Internet" settings - "Wired Connection".
    (I set my IP address to 192.168.1.30, Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4)

Actually, I tried this a couple of months ago and it made no difference.. :-(

Peter
  • SilvermanSilverman Member Posts: 3
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Just to add to the thread:-

I've been with Tiscali, and then TalkTalk for several years now, have had YouView since it started, and have been generally quite satisfied with the service. Over the last two or three months I've had the buffering problem with BBC iPlayer intermittently, until the last few two or three weeks.

We get typically 15seconds viewing, 10 secs buffering, and so it continues. The Huawei box is connected direct to the router, which in turn is connected directly into the telephone master socket.

Around 7pm Wed 25th Sept we wanted to watch Big School in HD via On Demand, had the problem from the beginning, 'watched' for ~10 minutes, stopped and restarted the same programme, chose to 'Resume', and experienced the same problem. I'd previously found that switching power off at the wall and restarting the box tended to sort it out, until last night. That made no difference this time, and the box even eventually completely froze!

I contacted TalkTalk while the box was 'frozen', and they conducted various tests, and said the line and speed appeared to be OK, so, I now await an engineer's visit.By the time this had been done(!!), it was time to view something on Live TV, so further experimentation with other programmes on iPlayer was prevented.

This morning, realising that the problem was occurring during our normal evening viewing, I tried using iPlayer, and found it to perform perfectly! Coincidence, or is it that the lines are used much more during the evening? (This latter would seem to be negated by line tests and speed being OK. I've recorded previously around 7.7 Mb/s download). If this is typical, what will the engineer find? Past experience with these 'engineers' suggests that, at best, I'll get another box, and possibly ADSL filter to try! (Naughty, I must try to keep an open mind!)

Hope this adds to the database and debate, and that a solution will be hastened.

I will continue to monitor the situation over the coming week.
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    This is Major Fault to Ground Control...Huawei, we have a problem!
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Silverman said:

I've been with Tiscali, and then TalkTalk for several years now, have had YouView since it started, and have been generally quite satisfied with the service. Over the last two or three months I've had the buffering problem with BBC iPlayer intermittently, until the last few two or three weeks.

We get typically 15seconds viewing, 10 secs buffering, and so it continues. The Huawei box is connected direct to the router, which in turn is connected directly into the telephone master socket.

Around 7pm Wed 25th Sept we wanted to watch Big School in HD via On Demand, had the problem from the beginning, 'watched' for ~10 minutes, stopped and restarted the same programme, chose to 'Resume', and experienced the same problem. I'd previously found that switching power off at the wall and restarting the box tended to sort it out, until last night. That made no difference this time, and the box even eventually completely froze!

I contacted TalkTalk while the box was 'frozen', and they conducted various tests, and said the line and speed appeared to be OK, so, I now await an engineer's visit.By the time this had been done(!!), it was time to view something on Live TV, so further experimentation with other programmes on iPlayer was prevented.

This morning, realising that the problem was occurring during our normal evening viewing, I tried using iPlayer, and found it to perform perfectly! Coincidence, or is it that the lines are used much more during the evening? (This latter would seem to be negated by line tests and speed being OK. I've recorded previously around 7.7 Mb/s download). If this is typical, what will the engineer find? Past experience with these 'engineers' suggests that, at best, I'll get another box, and possibly ADSL filter to try! (Naughty, I must try to keep an open mind!)

Hope this adds to the database and debate, and that a solution will be hastened.

Hi Silverman, thanks for letting us know about your experience here. It is possible there may be some affect from the internet traffic on the network (buffering may be more likely to occur on a busy evening for instance).

The engineer would be able to discern if there is an issue on the line, however a lot of feedback indicates different ISPs and network setups for users with the same issue. BBC are continuing to investigate the issue so once feedback is available we will update.

Phil
    edited 26 September 2013, 12:44PM
    Silverman said:

OK, Phil, thanks for that - but I really do wonder how much real effort the BBC are actually putting into this, particularly bearing in mind the length of time this appears to have been going on.

If increased internet traffic can result in this problem, how could this be corrected for me, at no further expense to myself? I'm not over-familiar with this, but I wouldn't mind betting superfast broadband would be presented as a possible solution, which is totally uneconomical for me in my area of South Yorkshire?
    edited 26 September 2013, 1:27PM
    Silverman said:

Silverman,

Superfast broadband (38Mbps) has not solved the problem for me and I live on a retirement estate in a very small market town so I'm not surrounded by blocks of flats whose residents are all playing GTA5.

The 'buffering' is suspicious in nature. If it is a genuine bottleneck, why does it occur at exactly the same point in a given programme? I've noticed that on a number of occasions. It may be that it is an even more frequent occurrence but often I don't get beyond the first 'buffering' in order to find out.

Christine, in your earlier post you said the problem had gone away.
    You said "Since I reset the box..."
    Did you change the connection settings or not?
    edited 26 September 2013, 2:22PM

No I just followed the support guy's instruction to press in the button on the back of the box and hold for ten seconds. (A 'hard reset'?) It switches the box off and it has to be restarted after about half a minute. It did work the one time I used BBCi player since, but I have had another issue with the Powerline adaptors which I have to use as the modem is in a different room to the TV. YouView seems to have more than one quirk.
    Great news for those of you with this problem (!)
    http://tbivision.com/news/2013/09/bbc...
  • Peter DayPeter Day Member Posts: 14
    edited 27 September 2013, 12:55PM
    I changed the automatic network settings to manual (fixed IP and I used the same DNMS addresses my BT router is set to - though my computer uses the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) and that should work too.
    Yesterday evening I watched a 90 minute programme without interruption, except for pausing it myself when I answered the phone. No buffering.
    Cannot guarantee this has cured it - it may come back tonight. But worth a try.
  • Brian SkidmoreBrian Skidmore Member Posts: 1
    edited 1 October 2013, 11:11AM
    We've had this problem for some time, but to my amazement solved it by, in the following order:

(a) Switching off and on the YouView box.
    (b) Switching off and on the BT HomeHub (v3).
    (c) Switching off the plug adaptor at the YouView end.
    (d) Switching off and on the plug adaptor at the BT HomeHub end.
    (e) Switching on the plug adaptor at the YouView end.

And voila, no buffering using iPlayer! Watched Lucy Worsley in all her unbuffered glory.
  • robert.inksonrobert.inkson Member Posts: 75
    edited 1 October 2013, 11:11AM

We've had this problem for some time, but to my amazement solved it by, in the following order:

(a) Switching off and on the YouView box.
    (b) Switching off and on the BT HomeHub (v3).
    (c) Switching off the plug adaptor at the YouView end.
    (d) Switching off and on the plug adaptor at the BT HomeHub end.
    (e) Switching on the plug adaptor at the YouView end.

And voila, no buffering using iPlayer! Watched Lucy Worsley in all her unbuffered glory.

sorry no disrespect but for an average joe bloggs to expect them to perform the above two comments i think i would sooner bin my box,its time Youview started to get there finger out.Iplayer on my laptop,PS3,plays perfectly why not Youview box,its on the same broadband.it seems a year down the line and we are still expected to restart the box daily,that can't be right.!!!
  • Robin1Robin1 Member Posts: 7
    edited 15 October 2013, 8:04AM
    Gone a little quiet on here. For the record I changed to static IP address and it has made no difference.

With BBC announcing their great ideas for the next generation iPlayer functionality it would be good to get the current working - even my 3 and 6 year old now complain about the iPlayer "spinning circle"...

Piers/Phil - can we not get some sort of regular progress/update? This just seems to be disappearing into a black hole with no updates, confirmation that its been re-produced or plan/timeline for a fix.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Hi Robin, yes we are continuing to work with the BBC to identify where the issue may be and tests are taking place to establish it's cause at the moment.

I couldn't give you a possible time for a fix, however I will make sure to update here more regularly with progress on this issue.

Thanks,

Phil
    edited 15 October 2013, 8:44AM
    My BBC iPlayer has been working fine since I did the hard reset. There is a brief judder at the beginning of each programme that I probably wouldn't notice unless I was looking for it. Other than that it's flawless and I hope it stays that way. The only other change I have made is that I used to switch everything off at night but was told by the engineer to leave it all on. I no longer get the error messages on devices that inform me that another device is using this address.

Regarding switching off everything on standby, the TV is switched off when not in use and I doubt the energy expended keeping the rest of the equipment on 24/7 would even make a cup of tea a day. ATM it's helping to warm my home.
  • Peter DayPeter Day Member Posts: 14
    edited 15 October 2013, 8:46AM
    Just to say that the fixed IP that I thought had solved the problem....didn't. Sat watching the spinning circle the other day until it failed and said there was a problem. After which I was able to restart from where I left off (that's not new - it always did that)
    edited 15 October 2013, 9:08AM
    To update you on my own position - I insisted on an engineer's visit from TalkTalk, and was visited, unusually, by two people together. One turned out to be a QA guy merely overseeing the engineer. No problems were found with the line speed or anything else, and I was somewhat dispirited. It was interesting to note that the engineer (a youngish chap) also had this problem, and accepted having to restart his setup periodically.

I then mentioned that I had read that a Maintenance Mode reset had cured another problem when a error message had been displayed (unlike my own situation). After much discussion, the QA guy instructed the engineer to perform this operation, more as a sop to myself I think, which basically sets everything back to factory default settings. Any recordings were still able to be retained.

All of us were sceptical, but so far (10 days) I have had no problems since!! This may lead one to believe that it is not the fault of the BBC after all?!

I must report this somehow to TalkTalk!

PS This reset is something that can be done yourself, but it was made clear to me that it would be at my own risk - ie if any problem occurred subsequently, TalkTalk would be able to identify a non-authorised change had been made (by correlating dates of engineer's visits and changes made) - and I've forgotten how, anyway!
  • Jon MillsJon Mills Member Posts: 4
    edited 15 October 2013, 9:06AM
    Interesting. I have had no problem after setting the IP manually. I just wonder if there have been updates that we may well be unaware of.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 13 November 2013, 9:01AM
    Hi Guys

Just to say I have also seen this issue on my Retail Humax box, and it seems to have only started after the Sept update, so I presume it will be fixed in future release?

I don't see any issue with my HDR FOX T2 which after having the latest firmware update it now also uses the same iPlayer as my YV box, so not sure why YV is bad, when on HDR it is fine?
    If I was managing how the BBC used it's resources as regards iPlayer I think I might have stopped attempting to resolve this issue for the YouView app and decided to wait and see how things pan out with the forthcoming new iPlayer.
  • Massimo GhislandiMassimo Ghislandi Member Posts: 2
    edited 23 May 2014, 7:19AM
    Same issue - there is not a single program on Iplayer that plays to the end - it constantly break out. I am on BT Infinity and with the old BT box it never happened!
    It is pretty poor that it is not possible to watch an entire program! I have 38 Mb/s! It should be able to work with no interruptions!