BBC Iplayer buffering and dropping out a lot?

Comments

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Hi everyone, the BBC have made a few back-end changes to tackle the buffering issue on iPlayer. From 6PM this evening can you check if you are still encountering any issues with programme playback and let me know your experience so I can feed this back to them.

Thanks,

Phil
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone, the BBC have made a few back-end changes to tackle the buffering issue on iPlayer. From 6PM this evening can you check if you are still encountering any issues with programme playback and let me know your experience so I can feed this back to them.

Thanks,

Phil

Just to clarify this for us simpletons...
    Does "back-end" mean that it happens at their end - so no update to the box is required?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks,

Phil

Yes thats right gwatuk.

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks,

Phil

That's right you you won't need to do any update to the box at all the changes are from the BBC end.
    Phil8 said:

Thanks,

Phil

And there was me thinking it was one of these - http://tinyurl.com/peaxyg2
    Smiley
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks,

Phil

Well you did mention simpletons, lol... Smiley

But I know you were talking for the masses. image
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    iPlayer looking OK so far.
    (However it still consistently stalls briefly as the programme starts.)
  • Peter Thompson1Peter Thompson1 Member Posts: 15
    edited 17 October 2013, 8:56AM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks,

Phil

Ok, so I thought I give this a killer test - I watched episode 1 of 'By Any Means' in HD last night on iPlayer. It got all the way through to the very last 5 minutes until the dreaded spinning circle appeared :-(

To recap, I'm on BT Infinity 2 with 72Mb download and 14Mb upload - and I DON'T get buffering problems with any other 'on demand' player. And everything worked fine until I 'upgraded' to the YouView box...
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    gwatuk said:

iPlayer looking OK so far.
    (However it still consistently stalls briefly as the programme starts.)

I found applying a static IP address to my box got rid of this, no real idea why. If I allow it to assign an IP dynamically from the router I always get that too. But yeh, my iPlayer has been fine on my DTR-T1010 since day one.
  • mike fiddlermike fiddler Member Posts: 75
    edited 24 September 2015, 7:24AM
    HI I tried out iPlayer last night (rebooting router and Youview box first), and I had major stuttering problems. In fact, the issue was worse than it ever has been.

I have the BT Youview box, not running infinity...if I watch on demand material from BT Vision I have no issues at all.

I can see there are some suggestions above re static IP addresses so will have a look at those...

m
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 5
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    After reading Phil's good news 4 days ago I was foolishly hopeful that the iPlayer problem might be solved. I got through a whole episode of Bake Off and was beginning to dare to hope....only to find that in fact I still have an iDon'tPlayer after all. I hope that some of you have been more fortunate. Anyhow, a few days ago, and because it's a recent installation, after many deja-vu laden conversations with their call centre, and multiple turnings on and off of everything in all permutations. I eventually got a BT engineer to come and look at it - for free! He checked everything and says what you all know he would say: it's a BBC iPlayer problem and nothing whatsoever to do with BT or Youview, who I am sure are working tirelessly to resolve the problem. So back at square one: on the plus side I am only paying £5 a month for my TV as an Infinity customer. On the negative side, as someone with a big iPlayer habit I feel that my experience of infinity is a bit more finite than the branding would imply. I am starting to wonder about radical solutions, and would be very grateful if any of you could comment on the following idea....What if I get a smart TV and get it to wirelessly pick up the signal from my BT Hub 4 (which streams iPlayer content quite happily to my laptop and android phone)?
  • Christine StibbardsChristine Stibbards Member Posts: 17
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    My excitement at finding my BBCi player useable after a hard reset only lasted until the 'back end' improvements by the BBC during the last week. I was booted out of 'The Great British Year' twice, at approximately twenty four and twenty nine minutes. A little message appeared, telling me to 'try again later' and each time I went straight back and was (after the usual irritating wait) reconnected.

Back to recording everything, I suppose, and missing the things that are hidden gems, which I only usually find in the 'missed it' section of RT :-(
    Geo said:

After reading Phil's good news 4 days ago I was foolishly hopeful that the iPlayer problem might be solved. I got through a whole episode of Bake Off and was beginning to dare to hope....only to find that in fact I still have an iDon'tPlayer after all. I hope that some of you have been more fortunate. Anyhow, a few days ago, and because it's a recent installation, after many deja-vu laden conversations with their call centre, and multiple turnings on and off of everything in all permutations. I eventually got a BT engineer to come and look at it - for free! He checked everything and says what you all know he would say: it's a BBC iPlayer problem and nothing whatsoever to do with BT or Youview, who I am sure are working tirelessly to resolve the problem. So back at square one: on the plus side I am only paying £5 a month for my TV as an Infinity customer. On the negative side, as someone with a big iPlayer habit I feel that my experience of infinity is a bit more finite than the branding would imply. I am starting to wonder about radical solutions, and would be very grateful if any of you could comment on the following idea....What if I get a smart TV and get it to wirelessly pick up the signal from my BT Hub 4 (which streams iPlayer content quite happily to my laptop and android phone)?

If you're "someone with a big iPlayer habit" why not get a £10 Sky Now box as an interim solution?
    (They are wireless.)
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:11AM
    Geo said:

But be aware that the Sky Now box is 720p max.
    Geo said:

Isn't iPlayer HD only 720p?
    Geo said:

That's the minimum, isn't it? It has to be at least 720p to be classed as HD, but is it BBC policy to restrict all streams to 720p or worse?
    Geo said:

An interesting EBU paper from 2010 discussing this - https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreports/...

My excitement at finding my BBCi player useable after a hard reset only lasted until the 'back end' improvements by the BBC during the last week. I was booted out of 'The Great British Year' twice, at approximately twenty four and twenty nine minutes. A little message appeared, telling me to 'try again later' and each time I went straight back and was (after the usual irritating wait) reconnected.

Back to recording everything, I suppose, and missing the things that are hidden gems, which I only usually find in the 'missed it' section of RT :-(

To those who have mentioned still having this issue with iPlayer buffering, are you using Power Line adapters, and what internet speeds are you currently receiving?

Thanks,

Phil
  • Robin1Robin1 Member Posts: 7
    edited 21 October 2013, 2:16PM

We tried a couple of programmes over the weekend and whilst is may have improved a little (not quite as frequent) we were still getting buffering/dropping out.

I do have some powerline adapters I am using - Zyxel 500Mb ones.
    Internet sync speed is 73Mb. Speed is 34mb download and 15Mb upload on the end on a powerline adapter that my laptop is connected to (all the same models).

Robin,
  • Peter DayPeter Day Member Posts: 14
    edited 23 October 2013, 6:28PM
    Yes we use Powerline - Devolo dLan 200 Avmini. According to the Cockpit monitoring program that Devolo supply the YouView box is getting 174Mbps.

We are on BT Infinity broadband and according to speedtest.net the performance there is 62.94 Mbps download speed.
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 5
    edited 21 October 2013, 5:24PM

I am using Power Line adapters, and getting 35 mb with a BT Hub 4 on BT infinity.
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Dumb question...

If I use the iPlayer service via the YouView box, am I accessing the same 'back end' infrastructure as I would if I use the iPlayer from my laptop? Is it the same physical servers?

cheers

Dumb question...

If I use the iPlayer service via the YouView box, am I accessing the same 'back end' infrastructure as I would if I use the iPlayer from my laptop? Is it the same physical servers?

cheers

Hi mike, this question is best directed at the BBC to detail the delivery of the service.

I wondered if anyone using power line adapters has tried a direct connection directly into the router to see if this has any impact on the buffering during playback?

Phil
  • Jim Richardson2Jim Richardson2 Member Posts: 9
    edited 23 October 2013, 4:56PM

Dumb question...

cheers

I have a direct connection .... and it makes no difference
  • Christine StibbardsChristine Stibbards Member Posts: 17
    edited 23 October 2013, 5:44PM

Dumb question...

cheers

My router and my YouView box are, of necessity, about twenty feet apart. That's why I have the power line adapters. Even if it works, I still can't site the router next to the TV, or the TV next to the router. It wouldn't explain the intermittent nature of the fault. My box has behaved itself during the two BBC programmes I have watched since it played up on Friday, apart from its signature hiccup at the start of each program, nothing more than a momentary pause.
  • BoDBoD Member Posts: 69
    edited 23 October 2013, 6:27PM

The issue has nothing to do with powerline adapters. The stream is barely 5mbps. Even the worst performing powerline adapters can achieve this with ease. Also - if other on demand players are working fine on the same box then why ask about Powerline adapters? We know the issue is elsewhere so lets get that resolved first and then tackle other problems as they arise.
    Peter Day said:

Yes we use Powerline - Devolo dLan 200 Avmini. According to the Cockpit monitoring program that Devolo supply the YouView box is getting 174Mbps.

We are on BT Infinity broadband and according to speedtest.net the performance there is 62.94 Mbps download speed.

The issue has nothing to do with powerline adapters. The stream is barely 5mbps. Even the worst performing powerline adapters can achieve this with ease. Also - if other on demand players are working fine on the same box then why ask about Powerline adapters? We know the issue is elsewhere so lets get that resolved first and then tackle other problems as they arise.

Dumb question...

cheers

edited 23 October 2013, 6:31PM
    Guys - lets kill the PowerLine adapter line right here. This thread has identified a problem with the iPlayer backendapp. It needs resolving. Once it has been resolved then look at individual cases as they come up - whether they be PowerLine adapter issues or other.

Sorry - but that is just basic common sense.
    edited 24 September 2015, 7:24AM

Dumb question...

cheers

Cheers Phil, just wondered if anyone here knew the answer first, being a friendly mob.. :-)