can you change 4.3 Aspect ratio to16.9 on youview box not all channels affected

LESLIE NEWMANLESLIE NEWMAN Member Posts: 8
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
My youview box shows some programmes (pick tv) in 4.3 aspect ratio and others normally 16.9 How can I get them all the same aspect ratio 16.9? my tv is set correctly its got to be something with the youview box or transmission! please help

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    How connected? HDMI, SCART, or what?

Are you sure the Pick TV programmes aren't being broadcast in 4:3, so the YouView box is showing them in 16:9 as 12:9 with 2:9 black bars either side, thus preserving the correct aspect ratio?

Or is the aspect ratio actually looking wrong?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • LESLIE NEWMANLESLIE NEWMAN Member Posts: 8
    I am connected by HDMI when the adverts come on the aspect ratio goes to 16.9 then back to 4.3 when pick tv resumes
    Cheers
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 17 November 2013, 6:05PM
    Aren't a lot of the programmes on Pick (and Quest) just broadcast like that. Whereabouts is the DOG - the icon on the screen showing the channel name? Is it within the black bars
    edited 9 November 2012, 11:03PM
    Roy my Samsung tv when NOT on youview automatically displays at 16.9 aspect ratio.For some reason this is NOT an option going through a Huawei you view box
    So your Samsung makes the picture on Pick TV artificially wide?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Hi Leslie

Which programmes is this? As has been said already. a lot of programmes are broadcast in 4:3 because that's what they were made as.

Some TVs can stretch the picture and make them artificially wide but YouView doesn't do this because it's designed to show the picture as broadcast.
    edited 6 March 2013, 10:05AM
    I honestly dont know as the adverts are at 16.9 ratio then the programme is 4.3 my samsung tv has an auto wide screen function BUT this is disabled when viewing through a huawei youview box.its absolutely daft,isnt it unless you want to view in 4.3 witout the option of widescreen tv.
    Do they make TVs with a 4.3 aspect ratio now?
    Cheers
    edited 6 March 2013, 10:04AM
    Hi Martin thanks,it looks like I am stuck with a 4.3 broadcast aspect ratio then,
    Modern technology! my Samsung TV is 4 years old (Auto wide feature)
    my Huawei you view box NO Auto Wide OR CHOICE Brand New!

Thanks Guys

Les
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Nothing daft about it, the adverts are modern and shot in widescreen, the programmes are seemingly older ones not shot in widescreen. You're seeing both as they were filmed and intended.

Do you also find it odd that there are colour ads shown within Black & White films?

Auto wide screen distorts pictures to stretch them to fill the screen but in doing so crops the picture and reduces how much of the image you actually see. It's a bad way of watching TV.
    My Auto Widescreen is very good the DOG is there and the pictures do not looked stretched.No wonder Samsung are beating the pants off Sony regarding their Tvs. etc
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 17 November 2013, 6:05PM
    I think that's because they have got price, features and quality in a nice sweet spot
  • edited 25 April 2013, 6:43PM

My Auto Widescreen is very good the DOG is there and the pictures do not looked stretched.No wonder Samsung are beating the pants off Sony regarding their Tvs. etc

Whether noticed by the user or not, it's impossible to fill a 16:9 screen with a 4:3 image without stretching, cropping or otherwise manipulating the picture.
    edited 6 March 2013, 10:06AM
    The original question was can the 4.3 aspect ratio be changed to 16.9!
    I am happy if it is electronically adjusted to 16.9 for ease of viewing.
    I agree with Martin. I've been catching up on the box set of Homicide - Life On the Street over the last year and a half (122 episodes!), the next best thing for a Wirehead, and these are all 4:3.

Getting through them has involved 4 different DVD and BluRay setups, only one of which has defaulted to the correct 4:3, and I lost track of the number of times I had to force 4:3 when starting a new viewing session, in order to see the episodes in their correct aspect ratio.

I wish they had been remastered into the middle 12:9 of 16:9; it would have made life much easier.

And I suspect this is how Pick TV is being broadcast, especially as the ads are 16:9.

Leslie, try setting 4:3 on your TV; my guess is the picture will be all shrunken in.
    And if you really hate the black bars in 16:9, try the Zoom setting on your TV till they vanish. Drop the picture a bit until you can see all the character's heads OK - the feet aren't that important, always assuming Pick don't do reruns of Strictly :-)
    edited 30 May 2014, 7:33PM
    Nice one!,I am not a lover of Strictly
    Cheers
    OK, I've had a look at this now. My Samsung is a UE32D6530, BTW.

it looks like Pick are broadcasting programmes in 4:3 when they were made in 4:3, and switching to 16:9 for adverts. The DOG when a programme is 4:3 is over the 4:3 area, so they aren't sending 16:9.

My Sammy, set to 16:9, shows Pick 4:3 stretched, which I don't like. Putting the set on Auto Wide shows correct 4:3 with black bars either side.

Switching to YouView, Pick shows as 4:3 with the Sammy set to either 16:9 or Auto Wide. So I reckon the YouView box sends everything as 16:9, resizing 4:3 correctly to 12:9 within that, and adding 2:9 black bars each side.

If it can only do the one aspect ratio, this seems the right thing to do, to me.

Interestingly(?) the Sammy offers a few more picture options on the P.SIZE button when watching YouView than when watching the TV. I don't know why that should be, but it doesn't hurt to have them.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    and so it continues, when will youview realize people want this at least as a option and im 100% sure this topic would never have been posted with it
  • mark wisemark wise Member Posts: 1
    new update today and still no option to full screen with stretched programmes broadcast in 4.3 drives me mad. American dad, family guy, Fraser to name a few. bbc3 and c4 programmes. its mo good changing tv settings as adverts revert the setting. come on humax / youview it can't be that hard!
    mark wise said:

new update today and still no option to full screen with stretched programmes broadcast in 4.3 drives me mad. American dad, family guy, Fraser to name a few. bbc3 and c4 programmes. its mo good changing tv settings as adverts revert the setting. come on humax / youview it can't be that hard!

YouView have never said this would be added or was in this update. Nothing is broken or needs fixing, the content is being displayed in the correct and original format.

There's no obligation on YV to change anything or add any options.
  • MozaliniMozalini Member Posts: 4
    edited 30 May 2014, 7:33PM
    Roy1 said:

I agree with Martin. I've been catching up on the box set of Homicide - Life On the Street over the last year and a half (122 episodes!), the next best thing for a Wirehead, and these are all 4:3.

Getting through them has involved 4 different DVD and BluRay setups, only one of which has defaulted to the correct 4:3, and I lost track of the number of times I had to force 4:3 when starting a new viewing session, in order to see the episodes in their correct aspect ratio.

I wish they had been remastered into the middle 12:9 of 16:9; it would have made life much easier.

And I suspect this is how Pick TV is being broadcast, especially as the ads are 16:9.

Leslie, try setting 4:3 on your TV; my guess is the picture will be all shrunken in.
    And if you really hate the black bars in 16:9, try the Zoom setting on your TV till they vanish. Drop the picture a bit until you can see all the character's heads OK - the feet aren't that important, always assuming Pick don't do reruns of Strictly :-)

Just wanted to big up Homicide: Life on the street - awesome show!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Gerry JacksonGerry Jackson Member Posts: 23
    edited 31 March 2013, 12:29AM
    I'm new to the forum, and working my way through older topics. One thing that surprises me in this particular topic, is the criticism of those who wish to watch programmes in full screen.

I'm watching the re-run of Stargate SG1 on Pick, and the sudden change to black side bars after an auto-expand box is obvious and distracting.

I want to watch it in 16:9, stretched or not. This is MY CHOICE! What I don't need is for someone to suggest that I learn to concentrate on the picture rather than the bars, as Martin does on another thread.

This issue is something which can be added as an option. If you want to watch something in its original format...good for you, but don't presume to tell me, that this is the way I should be watching it
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    @ gerry Jackson Some people do beleave they right and thats thats. ok by rights it is the correct ratio but most other boxes have this ability and it is bugging quite a few people new to YouView

also on this subject i think its about time YouView made a statement relating to this. as people are forking out quite a bit of money for this system even if free on contract

i only defend this position of been allowed to stretch as its the first thing many people will see as a issue of the box. and as this supposed to be a simple box for everyone trying to explane to my gran (eg) about aspect ratio and why her cheep £20 box dident do it isent easy
  • edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    It's not a case of people thinking they're right, it's an unassailable fact that the programmes were made in 4:3, not in widescreen, and that that's how they're designed to be watched.

It's a fact, not opinion, because in most cases widescreen TVs simply didn't exist when the shows were made.

As for grans, in my expertience they're very wise and clever people and of course were watching programmes in 4:3 for most of their lives.
    edited 12 January 2013, 8:58PM
    It's also an unassailable fact that other older and far cheaper boxes can auto-expand.

I'm no spring chicken either and have spent most of my viewing life watching 4:3, not to mention a large portion in black and white. This doesn't mean I'm happy to revert to these formats now
    edited 12 January 2013, 9:01PM
    Martin1 said:

It's not a case of people thinking they're right, it's an unassailable fact that the programmes were made in 4:3, not in widescreen, and that that's how they're designed to be watched.

It's a fact, not opinion, because in most cases widescreen TVs simply didn't exist when the shows were made.

As for grans, in my expertience they're very wise and clever people and of course were watching programmes in 4:3 for most of their lives.

well do you care to explane to someone who just wants to watch tv and not get messed up in tec why there old cheep freeview tuner dident have this "problem" but they brought a all singing and dancing YouView and it does. And try for once not just say thats how it should be because for years people have been watching 4:3 programs stretched and i never seen one issue about it, its why someone went to the trouble of installing the feature on most other boxes.
  • edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    It's not a case of reverting. the content was never filmed in widescreen so what's the post of pretending otherwise?

If watching widescreen only content is so vital, why bother watching repeats of shows that were filmed before widescreen TVs were ever invented?

You mentioned b&w content, are you expecting the box to apply false colours to those too?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein
    Martin1 said:

Well my gran is long dead, but I suspect:

"This box displays the programmes in the right shape so you see all of the picture, the other one stretched them to fill the shape of modern TVs which meant you lost some of the picture'

would have sufficed.

Depending on how old your gran is, she may well have witnessed the birth of domestic TV, the arrival of more than one channel, the switch to colour, teletext the arrival of widescreen & stereo sound, as well as the digital switch over.

If she coped with even half of those I doubt shapes will confuse her.

I've never understood why people think their grans are dense.
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    You are completely missing the point of my post Martin. I've watched Stargate this week in stretched 16:9 full screen and it's original 4:3 with black side bars. I PREFER TO WATCH THE 16:9 VERSION. I care not a jot how it was originally filmed or intended to be viewed.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 6:44PM

You are completely missing the point of my post Martin. I've watched Stargate this week in stretched 16:9 full screen and it's original 4:3 with black side bars. I PREFER TO WATCH THE 16:9 VERSION. I care not a jot how it was originally filmed or intended to be viewed.

Then currently YouView is the wrong box for you.

As there's currently no indication of this 'feature' being added, your choices seem limited to sending back the YouView box, changing your preference or not watching older programmes.