can you change 4.3 Aspect ratio to16.9 on youview box not all channels affected

15678911»

Comments

  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Aran said:

    I'd really like 'youview stretchy screen' option. Our Toshiba stretch option means you lose some of the top of the screen and the bottom of the screen so I have to either put up with the black bars of doom or lose some of the picture.

    I think it is a worthwhile request as everyone will always have different TV's so people should have the choice to see the picture stretchy or original format as this supersedes the 'which TV' question....

    To paraphrase Voltaire:- “I do not agree with your desire for stretchyvision, but I will defend to the death your right to ask for it.”
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM

    Why is it that people never ask for programmes made in 22:9 or wider - films in other words - to be stretched vertically so they fill a 16:9 panel?

    As for the hysteria about burn-in, presumably these people never pause their YV box or mute it so the logo stays in the top right until the sound is turned back on, never watch Sky News that has a solid DOG or other channels that have one.

    .

  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I'm interested to see how people want the youtube 9:16 portrait smartphone videos displayed.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Lbear1 said:

    Why is it that people never ask for programmes made in 22:9 or wider - films in other words - to be stretched vertically so they fill a 16:9 panel?

    As for the hysteria about burn-in, presumably these people never pause their YV box or mute it so the logo stays in the top right until the sound is turned back on, never watch Sky News that has a solid DOG or other channels that have one.

    .

    My 2013 Samsung TVs will do that. Very useful where a bug in the iPhone Slingbox app compresses the picture presentation horizontally when viewed over an Apple TV box.

    On my Sony TV, I can only narrow the picture horizontally to get the aspect ratio correct, so I have the picture in the middle of the screen with black all round, but on the Sammys, I can use a horizontal zoom to restore the correct aspect ratio and fill the screen completely.

    The funny thing is that although the picture with black all round is still 29" of a 37" set, it seems bigger on the Sammy at full screen, at the same viewing distance, even though that's only a 22" set.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    al said:

    I'm interested to see how people want the youtube 9:16 portrait smartphone videos displayed.

    Oh dear Vertical Video Syndrome :-)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    al said:

    I'm interested to see how people want the youtube 9:16 portrait smartphone videos displayed.

    yes, and all these years later it still exists. Imagine how it looks in stretchyvision!
  • Titus GroanTitus Groan Member Posts: 1
    edited 21 June 2014, 6:43PM

    My Auto Widescreen is very good the DOG is there and the pictures do not looked stretched.No wonder Samsung are beating the pants off Sony regarding their Tvs. etc

    Samsung bought the Sony TV business in 2011. A Sony TV is actually a Samsung product.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

    My Auto Widescreen is very good the DOG is there and the pictures do not looked stretched.No wonder Samsung are beating the pants off Sony regarding their Tvs. etc

    I think there's a bit more to a TV than just the LCD panel, important though that is, and your claim overreaches itself somewhat:-

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16...

    So the TVs contributing to viewing at Peake times are still coming from two separate entities....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • winiehappywiniehappy Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 August 2014, 8:37AM
    Keith1 said:

    I certainly agree that it is important for decisions to be made from an informed viewpoint. The topics in general that have raised this issue all generally have such information included on them, some of which I have added myself (where generally I've also provided the links to all the other topics so anyone can read all the info there is on here and understand the facts as well as decide on their own personal preference or even change it if appropriate having read those facts and views).

    Personally I tend to watch such programmes unstretched in their original format but I see numerous people who have expressed a clear preference for stretchyvision and very few who appear to then change that desire after being given further facts and information to consider. I would certainly not want to see such programmes stretched by default (and worse still no option to turn such behaviour off).

    So as I've said above I see no reason why an option could not be implemented in due course but I'm expressing no particular view as to if, when or how and know that YouView will not formulate or change their development plans solely on comments on the forum and nor should they. That could mean a feature gets implemented for the next features update in 3 or so months time (probably not very likely) or it could be some time or quite conceivably be never at all. As ever anyone who buys the product and feels it is not fit for purpose has a right to return it but equally they can add their thoughts to the forum should they wish to accepting that it does not necessarily mean change will be forthcoming. Others would hopefully research the product beforehand and if they come across this forum will find all the information they need to inform their purchase choice upfront (but still may choose this box yet desire such a stretchyvision feature to be implemented in the future whilst understanding there is no guarantee it will be).

    Going forward I would thus expect that if new topics are created asking broadly the same question that forum members continue to direct people to the existing topics and facts as well as provide those facts again (which are straight forward and short to include) on the new topics as appropriate.

    You may refer to the following step by step guide on how to change video aspect ratio with the help of iDealshare VideoGo at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/change-video-aspect-ratio.html

    This guide applies to:
    Change video aspect ratio among 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1:1, 21:9 etc
    Change aspect ratio for all kinds of video files like change MP4 aspect ratio, change AVI aspect ratio, change WMV aspect ratio, change MKV aspect ratio, change MPG aspect ratio, change YouTube aspect ratio, change aspect ratio of MOV, VOB, ASF, WTV, MVI, AVCHD, 3GP, FLV, MXF, OGV, DV, Apple ProRes, WebM, and etc.
    Adjust video aspect ratio as well as keep the same video format.
    Change aspect ratio of movie files as well as convert to other video format.
    Change or fix video aspect ratio on Windows 8/7/Vista/XP or on Mac OS X Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Lion/Snow Leopard/Leopard/Tiger
  • faninaithfaninaith Member Posts: 1
    edited 2 September 2014, 10:44PM

    I am connected by HDMI when the adverts come on the aspect ratio goes to 16.9 then back to 4.3 when pick tv resumes
    Cheers

    To permanently change aspect ratio of the source video to your desired one, you need a professional Video Aspect Ratio Changer which enables to change video aspect ratio among 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1:1, 21:9 etc.

    The above metioned Video Aspect Ratio Changer also has the feature of batch change aspect ratio of video as your need. Hope it will help you more or less.

    Key Features of Faasoft Aspect Ratio Changer:

    • Change Aspect Ratio of almost all kinds of video formats like change MP4 aspect ratio, change AVI aspect ratio, change YouTube aspect ratio, change MKV aspect ratio, change WMV aspect ratio, change MOV aspect ratio, change WebM aspect ratio, change FLV aspect ratio, change video aspect ratio of ASF, WTV, MVI, AVCHD, 3GP, OGV, MXF, etc;
    • Change aspect ratio meanwhile keep the source video format; Adjust aspect ratio meanwhile convert video to other formats;
    • Support almost all kinds of video and audio formats like WTV, WMV, ASF, ASX, AVI, XMV, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, DivX, Xvid, MKV, FLV, F4V, SWF, MXF, MVI, OGM, WebM, MP4, 720p/1080p AVCHD, MTS, TOD, MOD, TP, Apple ProRes, OPUS, AAC, AC3, DTS, ALAC, OGG, OGA, MP3, WAV, FLAC, WMA, 3GA, M4A, M4B, APE, AU, AIFF, AIFC, CAF, MPC, QCP, VOC, VOX, GSM, etc.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

    I am connected by HDMI when the adverts come on the aspect ratio goes to 16.9 then back to 4.3 when pick tv resumes
    Cheers

    And this product designed for operation on completed video files on a PC or similar device will help with the on-the-fly conversion of streamed video from a YouView box how, exactly?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • badbecomesgoodbadbecomesgood Member Posts: 1
    edited 18 June 2015, 7:03AM
    Roy1 said:

    How connected? HDMI, SCART, or what?

    Are you sure the Pick TV programmes aren't being broadcast in 4:3, so the YouView box is showing them in 16:9 as 12:9 with 2:9 black bars either side, thus preserving the correct aspect ratio?

    Or is the aspect ratio actually looking wrong?

    You may follow this  method to easilly change 4.3 aspect ratio to 16.9 at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/change-video-aspect-ratio.html
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Roy1 said:

    How connected? HDMI, SCART, or what?

    Are you sure the Pick TV programmes aren't being broadcast in 4:3, so the YouView box is showing them in 16:9 as 12:9 with 2:9 black bars either side, thus preserving the correct aspect ratio?

    Or is the aspect ratio actually looking wrong?

    Nice try, but we are talking neither Windows nor Mac, but YouView box :-(

    So this product designed for operation on completed video files on a PC or similar device will help with the on-the-fly conversion of streamed video from a YouView box how, exactly?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Keith1 said:

    I certainly agree that it is important for decisions to be made from an informed viewpoint. The topics in general that have raised this issue all generally have such information included on them, some of which I have added myself (where generally I've also provided the links to all the other topics so anyone can read all the info there is on here and understand the facts as well as decide on their own personal preference or even change it if appropriate having read those facts and views).

    Personally I tend to watch such programmes unstretched in their original format but I see numerous people who have expressed a clear preference for stretchyvision and very few who appear to then change that desire after being given further facts and information to consider. I would certainly not want to see such programmes stretched by default (and worse still no option to turn such behaviour off).

    So as I've said above I see no reason why an option could not be implemented in due course but I'm expressing no particular view as to if, when or how and know that YouView will not formulate or change their development plans solely on comments on the forum and nor should they. That could mean a feature gets implemented for the next features update in 3 or so months time (probably not very likely) or it could be some time or quite conceivably be never at all. As ever anyone who buys the product and feels it is not fit for purpose has a right to return it but equally they can add their thoughts to the forum should they wish to accepting that it does not necessarily mean change will be forthcoming. Others would hopefully research the product beforehand and if they come across this forum will find all the information they need to inform their purchase choice upfront (but still may choose this box yet desire such a stretchyvision feature to be implemented in the future whilst understanding there is no guarantee it will be).

    Going forward I would thus expect that if new topics are created asking broadly the same question that forum members continue to direct people to the existing topics and facts as well as provide those facts again (which are straight forward and short to include) on the new topics as appropriate.

    (Missed this first time - now just saving new browsers a wild goose chase)

    And this product designed for operation on completed video files on a PC or similar device will help with the on-the-fly conversion of streamed video from a YouView box how, exactly?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
Sign In or Register to comment.