can you change 4.3 Aspect ratio to16.9 on youview box not all channels affected

Comments

• MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    stuart621 4 hours ago
    "If you want all TVs to distort the picture"
    Presumably they would never do this but have an option so the user can decide.

I'm still wondering what people do with films shown wider than 16:9, though. Do they zoom in to lose the top and sides of the image?
    this argument ive seen a few times and is silly, the reason that widescreen exists in the first place if our eyes naturally see that way better, so when seeing a image with top and bottom bars its not as noticeable as having a square image with sidebars.

not a go at you Stuart just wanted clear that one up ;)
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 21 March 2013, 6:46PM
    Madcotto said:

stuart621 4 hours ago
    "If you want all TVs to distort the picture"
    Presumably they would never do this but have an option so the user can decide.

I'm still wondering what people do with films shown wider than 16:9, though. Do they zoom in to lose the top and sides of the image?
    this argument ive seen a few times and is silly, the reason that widescreen exists in the first place if our eyes naturally see that way better, so when seeing a image with top and bottom bars its not as noticeable as having a square image with sidebars.

not a go at you Stuart just wanted clear that one up ;)I see where you're coming from but the people who say they don't like black bars on 4:3 material often say they want their screen filled so I just wondered how they felt about black bars at the topn& bottom (and why they don't mind them if that's the case).

Our eyes also naturally see things in the correct aspect ratio so I don't understand why it doesn't seem wrong having everybody looking short and fat. I fully understand that this is personal preference but wonder why a squashed picture is more acceptable than black bars.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Madcotto,

I don't think it's any more "silly" than other opinions in this so-called "debate."

Personally, I have always struggled with widescreen cropping top and bottom i.e. so-called "letterbox" and find it quite tiring on the eyes. I have no issue with watching 4:3 programmes, but it makes my eyes bleed if somebody messes with the screen settings to distort the picture.

I think these things vary from person to person, like those who can see 50Hz flicker and those who can't. And because it is a personal matter that may explain why it seems to arouse such passions!
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    redchiz on this i agree it is or does seem to be a deeply personal opinion and many of us have had to untwist our nickers a few times over this issue.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Madcotto said:

redchiz on this i agree it is or does seem to be a deeply personal opinion and many of us have had to untwist our nickers a few times over this issue.

Hence the expression 'folding money' :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 22 March 2013, 9:15AM
    I tried my TV's different modes on an episode of The New Avengers yesterday and it was only the zoom function which made it fill the screen. Zoom 1 cropped the top and bottom of the picture but left it in the correct aspect ratio (so Joanna Lumley didn't look short and fat but you couldn't always see the top of her head!) and zoom 2 stretched the picture vertically so that everybody looked tall and thin, also cropping the top and bottom. Both modes obviously caused degradation in the picture quality, of course.

I quickly put it back to "auto"! :)
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    Here's a suggestion those of you who insist on watching distorted pictures might like to try.

By their very nature, these programmes are SD so why not also connect up the SCART lead and change your TV to that for "square" programming? This will enable virtually all TVs to alter the aspect ratio. The only problems you will get are the inability to use the on-screen menu/overlays and the possible need to switch from "stretch" to "zoom" or "centre cut out" for the channels that have started to revert to the practice of adding sidebars sometime consisting of out of focus elements from the picture.
  • PerspixPerspix Member Posts: 10
    edited 22 March 2013, 7:20PM
    Lbear1 said:

Here's a suggestion those of you who insist on watching distorted pictures might like to try.

By their very nature, these programmes are SD so why not also connect up the SCART lead and change your TV to that for "square" programming? This will enable virtually all TVs to alter the aspect ratio. The only problems you will get are the inability to use the on-screen menu/overlays and the possible need to switch from "stretch" to "zoom" or "centre cut out" for the channels that have started to revert to the practice of adding sidebars sometime consisting of out of focus elements from the picture.

"By their very nature, these programmes are SD"

Amusingly, I was watching a HD 4/3 when you posted that.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 22 March 2013, 7:24PM
    Lbear1 said:

And what might that be? To the best of my knowledge, the only 4:3 (true) HD programme broadcast in the UK was the BBC remastering of the film stock from "Civilisation".
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 22 March 2013, 9:37PM
    Lbear1 said:

Which is vaguely ironic as that was very much one man's individual (and with hindsight anachronistic) view of civiliisation. ;)
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:34AM
    Hi Perspix

Are you sure the programme you were watching wasn't merely upscaled?

Not all programmes shown on HD channels were shot in HD and so are upscaled at the broadcast point just the same way a Blu-ray player upscales a DVD but the end result isn't true HD.
  • bbstrikesagainbbstrikesagain Member Posts: 48
    edited 27 March 2013, 10:39PM
    al said:

Some channels broadcast 4:3 as 4:3 and some broadcast as 4:3 in a 16:9 frame (The black sides are part of the signal), effectively treated the same as a 16:9 picture. [Which is then squeezed into a 4:3 frame with a 16:9 flag - but ignore that for now]

The YV has an HDMI output, usually set to HD output which is 16:9 ONLY.

Software can be applied to convert the picture; it will need to automagically do the following:

1) 16:9 to 16:9 No conversion
    2) 4:3 to 16:9 stretched
    3) 4:3 in 16:9 centre cut out and stretched
    4) 4:3 in 16:9 to 16:9 no conversion

If you want all TVs to be able to distort the picture rather than YV you can add:

5) 4:3 to 4:3 output as 576i
    6) 4:3 in 16:9 centre cut out and output as 576i

Just to make Kelsey Grammer look fat

4) isn't "no conversion", it's add black content to either side before recoding..

5) would be nice, since many TV up-scale just as well as the YV box, and the user would retain control over how the material was presented.
    edited 27 March 2013, 10:50PM
    Lbear1 said:

>> "Why not also connect up the SCART".

...because the one SCART I have is already in use, because I have spare HDMIs, because SCART would never support CEC, because SCART and HDMI could cause an auto select lottery or nightmare, because analogue levels always bob on and aren't as good at getting gamma right, because HDMI carries decent audio.. ..do I need to continue?
    edited 27 March 2013, 10:53PM
    Lbear1 said:

...and it's important to have good gamma levels to watch a distorted picture! :)
  • PerspixPerspix Member Posts: 10
    edited 27 March 2013, 10:57PM
    Lbear1 said:

"...and it's important to have good gamma levels to watch a distorted picture! :) "

Why the persistent sarcasm about distorted pictures? You already have it your way. No need for you to beat others down like this just because their preference differs.
    edited 27 March 2013, 11:04PM
    Lbear1 said:

Didn't you notice the smiley? It was an attempt at humour. That's something which seems to be in very short supply around here these days.
    edited 28 March 2013, 12:10AM
    Lbear1 said:

Pulling aspect ratios may annoy the hell out of some, to the point where they seek to ridicule others who enjoy it, or have a reason to suffer it, but what the naysayers miss is that it loses nothing. All the image content is retained, no information is added or lost. In the good old days of panavision stick-men squeezed onto a 4:3 CRT we saw the whole picture, and most brains adjusted just fine. Time for the naysayers to get off their high horses and milk them.

Bad gamma is different, it makes details disappear completely or over emphasises others, information content is affected. You might as well view an LCD screen off-axis...

Only bad grammar is worse :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    stuart621 1 hour ago
    Didn't you notice the smiley? It was an attempt at humour. That's something which seems to be in very short supply around here these days.
    Umm,

And I wonder who or what caused that?

I haven't really read the forum today, but there seems to have been some kerfuffle, where the various rearrangement of threads are concerned.

In regard to this ever-lasting thread - there is one camp, and there is another. And there is no right or wrong on this subject, there is only opinion.

Whilst I am not for StretchyVision, I can see why users would at least like the option to use it, which is fair enough.

And now for my attempt at humor - because theres nowt quite like watching a football match with a rugby ball...

.Smiley
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 28 March 2013, 12:29AM
    Lbear1 said:

Not sure I've seen anybody being ridiculed...

Stretching the picture loses none of the image but it creates a different looking image which looks wrong. If you are suggesting that people of higher intelligence can ignore this, then that's the funniest thing I've read here for a while.

As for 'high horses', it's all a matter of perspective, really, isn't it? :)
    edited 28 March 2013, 12:32AM
    Visionman said:

stuart621 1 hour ago
    Umm,

And I wonder who or what caused that?

I haven't really read the forum today, but there seems to have been some kerfuffle, where the various rearrangement of threads are concerned.

In regard to this ever-lasting thread - there is one camp, and there is another. And there is no right or wrong on this subject, there is only opinion.

Whilst I am not for StretchyVision, I can see why users would at least like the option to use it, which is fair enough.

And now for my attempt at humor - because theres nowt quite like watching a football match with a rugby ball...

.Smiley'And I wonder who caused that'.

I can think of a few contributors here who have caused things to go a little askew.
  • Mark IMark I Member Posts: 15
    edited 18 April 2013, 8:57AM
    A snarky comment appended with a smiley is still a snarky comment.

The OP of this thread was asking about watching 4:3 in 16:9 and this has unleashed a stream of comments from a few browbeaters. I don't know where belittling the opinions of others gets us in this discussion.
    edited 28 March 2013, 8:56AM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Perspix

Not all programmes shown on HD channels were shot in HD and so are upscaled at the broadcast point just the same way a Blu-ray player upscales a DVD but the end result isn't true HD.

Lots of examples of films, animations and documentaries shot in 4/3 on 35mm.

Just as colour content existed before the invention of colour TV, high res content existed before the invention of digital HD. 70mm film can be scanned at 8192p and some would argue still suffers loss of detail.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:46PM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Perspix

Of course, not sure I suggested otherwise?
    edited 28 March 2013, 9:06AM
    Mark I said:

The OP of this thread was asking about watching 4:3 in 16:9 and this has unleashed a stream of comments from a few browbeaters. I don't know where belittling the opinions of others gets us in this discussion.

Absolutely nowhere. A joke, on the other hand, can sometimes lighten discussions which are veering off into other directions. I daresay one man's joke is another's "snarky comment". I fully agree that belittling the opinions of others (eg by referring to them as "browbeaters").

As I said, it's all a matter of perspective.
    edited 28 March 2013, 9:19AM
    Lbear1 said:

I tried SCART but found the YV box would display the broadcast but not internally generated content. For example, accessing the EPG sent the image to the top-right without displaying any data.
  • cheekybettyboo@outlook.com[email protected] Member Posts: 10
    I think it's like Gay Marriage... Nobody really wants to force everyone to watch 4.3 stretched into a widescreen but some people seem bothered by it want to stop others from doing it so they keep posting negative comments.

Look at the post by Jerry Jackson at the top. He is right.

I vote for choice!
    edited 28 March 2013, 9:53AM
    Lbear1 said:

stuart621
    I might think it is wrong for me to put sugar in Tea but I wouldn't be so impolite and say to others it is wrong.
    edited 28 March 2013, 10:23AM
    Mark I said:

You sound like a bully in a playground trying to be the loudest... "He started it miss. He called me a smelly browbeater."
    edited 28 March 2013, 10:26AM
    Mark I said:

I bet my Dad is bigger than stuart's Dad. :)
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM
    I agree on the choice argument.
    No-one wants a dictatorship here, 4:3 as 16:9 or whatever, really should be an option, as it is on my TV tuner and Sat receiver.
    That way you configure it either way, and the argument goes away.

I really don't understand these comments about "you shouldn't watch it that way" or words to that effect.
    Its consumer choice.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    So allow for both options.