Since update can't see previous weeks programming

Chris Mallett1Chris Mallett1 Posts: 3Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Our Humax youview box (bought not contract) updated itself on 7th November. Since then we can't view any details of programmes for the previous week on the TV guide.

Considering that is what youview is supposed to be all about, it's a bit **** that it doesn't work. We'd have been better off buying a standard freeview hd box.

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Chris - I'm not aware of any general problem with on-demand access or the backwards guide following upgrade to the latest software. I've been running it for a couple of weeks and it is fine for me (not that that is much help to you).

If you haven't already I would suggest power cycling the machine, i.e. hold the blue circle button for 8 seconds or turn it off at the back or the wall. That will ensure it has booted up cleanly when you turn it back on which could clear any minor issue.

If that does not work and you use powerlan plugs you could try power cycling those and also your router.

If it still does not work then I would suggest phoning YouView support for specific guidance.
  • Chris Mallett1Chris Mallett1 Posts: 3Member
    edited 11 November 2012, 9:38PM
    Thank for the reply Keith. I've tried all that and no luck. We've had it three months and its always been slow.

We are using Ethernet through mains adapters, 11mb connection currently (wirelessly through iPhone). Keep getting yvm104 error with on demand which apparently can be a connection problem. However when connected to the blue ray, iplayer has no issues at all. In fact it is quicker than the youview player.

I'll be sending it back for a freeview box soon I think...
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 11 November 2012, 11:02PM
    Is your box actually reporting itself as being connected to the internet via your router?
  • Chris Mallett2Chris Mallett2 Posts: 3Member
    edited 11 November 2012, 11:35PM
    Yes it has an IP address and no conflicts with any other devices
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I had exactly the same experience as you, and Humax were of the opinion that the update had bricked my box. But I think you are only the second person, after me, to report this.

But given what you have tried above, the last-ditch effort can be found at:-
    http://videos.youview.com/support/mai...

If you are brave enough to try this (and what-the-hell if the box won't work any other way, and maybe not even this way) I suggest Options 1, 2 and 4, in that order, as these are increasing levels of reset without losing your recordings, until the box behaves again.

However, if like me you can't even get into this mode, and the box reports 'Invalid Signature; failed to reboot' (or words to that effect), then it's time to watch your recordings, crate it up, and take it back where you bought it for a refund/replacement/repair.

The general time limit on when you can insist on a refund is the first four weeks of ownership, but you may be persuasive enough to get one later than that, if you really don't want the box any more.

If you have to crate it up, pop in a note for Humax detailing the fault. They took a note of my serial number so they could tie up the returned box with my fault report to them, and indicated they'd be having it on the bench to try and see what had gone wrong. Yours may help them further with this.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • TechnogranTechnogran Posts: 152Member
    edited 12 November 2012, 5:47AM

Thank for the reply Keith. I've tried all that and no luck. We've had it three months and its always been slow.

We are using Ethernet through mains adapters, 11mb connection currently (wirelessly through iPhone). Keep getting yvm104 error with on demand which apparently can be a connection problem. However when connected to the blue ray, iplayer has no issues at all. In fact it is quicker than the youview player.

I'll be sending it back for a freeview box soon I think...

May I suggest you try changing the Ethernet cable that the unit is connected to? Seems the YouView Humax unit is very picky which Ethernet cable you use, I used to get the YVM104 error and I managed to solve it by connecting a different type of Ethernet cable.

Worth a try!

TG
  • Chris Mallett2Chris Mallett2 Posts: 3Member
    edited 12 November 2012, 9:17AM
    Thanks for the help. I'll try changing the cable and the maintenance reset today.

Not sure what I do about returning it as I bought from amazon in August and their returns policy is 30 days. I'm hoping this is a warranty issue with humax?
  • Chris Mallett1Chris Mallett1 Posts: 3Member
    edited 12 November 2012, 10:45AM
    Right. I've tried changing the cable - no difference. Its definitely not the homeplug, cable or router as hooked up to my laptop, the connection is 13MB.

Tried the maintenance mode method and I can't even get into it - I get the "Invalid signature: failed to reboot" message.

I guess its time to contact Humax. Very very p*d off...
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Technically, Amazon as the retailer should take it back and supply you with a replacement. But you'd have to return the lot :-(

However, if you can persuade Humax to do a couriered box swap, that will be much easier - the courier brings the new one, box only, in plainish packaging, and puts your broken one into tnat packaging to go back direct to Humax.

As there have now been two of us with this issue, I intend to log it as a bug here. One swallow does not make a summer, but two add up to a larger gulp.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • alal Posts: 1,298Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    If you press search and then start typing does it start to offer viewing options?

I had this the other day. In the menu it appeared to be connected to the internet but could not stream.

I have a feeling another device had snatched the IP address so manually changed the Youview IP address and this appeared to fix it.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Chris. We are sorry to hear that didn’t resolve your issue. Please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.