Sound 'Hiccup' on HD Channels

Neil HarmanNeil Harman Posts: 4Member
edited 14 August 2017, 9:15AM in Archived Posts
Recieved the Talk Talk Youview box on Saturday. I have an issue with the sound on HD channels skipping or an intermittent 'hiccup' in the sound. SD channels and OD channels are fine. Most notable is the BBC HD channel where it seems to happen all the time. My first thought was the box trying to convert a 5.1 signal to 2.0 output??? Anyone else having this problem. So far I have only found 1 other person on talk talk members forum....and yes to all the regular questions ie: I have reset box, changed HDMI, power cycled etc.

Comments

• John5John5 Posts: 38Member
    edited 12 November 2012, 3:03PM
    See http://community.youview.com/youview/... for my original posting on this. I like the hiccup way of describing it. I thought it might have been fixed by the software update that I received last friday but watching Knight and Day on Channel 4 HD it displayed the same problem.
  • alal Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I have mentioned this quite a few times. I think it only affects 5.1 audio that runs with non 50Hz originated video. ie films and US TV shows. I have not seen the problem on 50Hz orginated HD programmes, or non 5.1 programs. If you set the optical output to "Surround" it fixes it for optical but HDMI is still downmixed and "hiccups".

I'm surprised more people haven't noticed this.
  • Neil HarmanNeil Harman Posts: 4Member
    edited 12 November 2012, 3:53PM
    Finally, people with common sense...and ears (sorry I have been onto talk talk about this....you can guess the outcome of that!!). Unfortunately as it is the Huawei version I cannot do 5.1 by SPDIF untill the update rolls out to the box. Coming from a Fox HDR, not having these basic things such as 5.1 over HDMI is pretty poor.
  • radoxradox Posts: 62Member
    edited 12 November 2012, 7:13PM
    I've noticed since the October software update that sometimes, when watching a recorded programme, if you skip backwards and forwards a few times in a short period of time, you can loose sound altogether for about 10 seconds when you return to normal playback.

It's happened to me twice in the last week but haven't been able to reproduce reliably. I'm guessing it is related to the addition in the last update of 5.1 surround sound over SPDIF.

Is this the "hiccup" you describe Neil or a different issue?

Stuart
    edited 12 November 2012, 9:21PM
    Radox- the sound hiccup I refer to is a constant on some HD programmes when just watching tv. Not timeshifting or anything else which may induce it. I have just switched to SPDIF. Seems better but we will see
  • Bilbo BagginsBilbo Baggins Posts: 177Member
    edited 13 November 2012, 9:48AM
    Also, make sure you are using decent quality HDMI interconnects, the current version 1.4 is very good, make sure it is a gold one/oxygen free. I know kabel/monster cables go for £££'s but you can get the same quality from my store, I don't like to sell on here (legal issue?) but checkout penguinsupplies.com or penguin-supplies on eBay and you can get a very high quality lead for a lot less saving you ££'s.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 12 November 2012, 11:17PM

Also, make sure you are using decent quality HDMI interconnects, the current version 1.4 is very good, make sure it is a gold one/oxygen free. I know kabel/monster cables go for £££'s but you can get the same quality from my store, I don't like to sell on here (legal issue?) but checkout penguinsupplies.com or penguin-supplies on eBay and you can get a very high quality lead for a lot less saving you ££'s.

Gold / Oxygen free? Totally unnecessary.
    edited 12 November 2012, 11:45PM

I take your point Gomez, in recent developments, Nickel works just as good as the sometimes expensive Gold/Oxygen free versions, I was just trying to say it is good to have the latest version or at the very least, a quality product. On HiFi systems, pro-audiofiles will spend 10% of the purchase of a sound system on interconnects for a great robust sound.
    We have some new Nickel HDMI Leads 1M & 3M with High Speed HDMI with Ethernet coming out in a few weeks, other manufactures are available of course. I am not trying to sell on here, only to help.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi Neopod

Could you stop using the forums to tout for business? That's the second post in a row where your 'trying to help' has magically required you to either include the name of your ebay store or mention what you sell on it.

And as Gomez has already said, there is nothing to be gained from an expensive HDMI cable. The £1 ones and the £50 ones all work exactly the same.
    edited 17 November 2013, 7:05PM
    Sorry but as stated - "other manufactures are available of course." I am not trying to sell on here, only to help.
    I'm really curious - show me proof of a £1 HDMI lead beating a leading brand then please? 'Which' magazine would love to hear about this, and the Gadget Show, Sony Sound Centres, HiFi Shops, Maplins... ... ...need I go on?
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    You're spamming.

It would have entirely possible to help without mentioning that you're an ebay seller or later saying what products you sell. The only reason to mention this is to try and gain sales from users of this forum.

As for the proof you request, it's under the TVs of millions of people who happily use the cable they got from the 99p store.

Expert Reviews sum it up nicely here: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-e...

In my experience, the majority of people who think more expensive cables are 'better' are those hoping to convince someone to pay for them.
    edited 13 November 2012, 12:13AM
    Gents any chance we can seek solutions do we can help make these things better??
    edited 13 November 2012, 12:23AM
    Neil, maybe mentioning a company was a mistake, I agree.

The fact that much larger companies charge £££'s for cables is ridiculous.

i was just trying to reiterate that having up-to-date cables can help on sound matters, it was the same years ago with scart leads for me.

Now you have helped our forum to say they are available from a very cheaper price that I wasn't aware of and the one supplied with the box should be sufficient.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 13 November 2012, 12:27AM

Sorry but as stated - "other manufactures are available of course." I am not trying to sell on here, only to help.
    I'm really curious - show me proof of a £1 HDMI lead beating a leading brand then please? 'Which' magazine would love to hear about this, and the Gadget Show, Sony Sound Centres, HiFi Shops, Maplins... ... ...need I go on?

I have a 15m HDMI cable that was free with my projector. A well known cable brand - RRP was £160. I also have a 16m HDMI cable with very similar construction that runs to my bedroom - £25.

For all my interconnects between sources I use cheap 1m and 2m cables from Amazon for a few quid each.

All my cables work just as well as each other. It's a digital connection, it pretty much works or it doesn't.
    edited 13 November 2012, 12:30AM

Gents any chance we can seek solutions do we can help make these things better??

I cant edit old posts and remove references
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    well i already got put on the naughty step for creating an original 'OurView' logo as a nice avatar logo which I thought would be ok for our community online (now removed as requested).

I will contact admins and ask them to remove the said websites mentioned above, but reading the T&Cs I don't see any mentions of marketing for self purpose, I do not make any profit whatsoever from said websites, I only create them and manage them.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:24AM

Precisely.

well i already got put on the naughty step for creating an original 'OurView' logo as a nice avatar logo which I thought would be ok for our community online (now removed as requested).

I will contact admins and ask them to remove the said websites mentioned above, but reading the T&Cs I don't see any mentions of marketing for self purpose, I do not make any profit whatsoever from said websites, I only create them and manage them.

No naughty step, merely a request.

If everyone did it, the forum would end up stuffed full of Amazon affiliate links, referral schemes and commercial posts.

:)
    edited 13 November 2012, 1:05AM

I know mate, there is nothing worse than spam, i just didn't think, it was a passion for saving customers money and making them aware of up-to-date 1.4 HDMI cables might help their sound issues more importantly, but apparently, we can use ones from 2002 for 99p
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 13 November 2012, 8:54AM

You don't need 1.4 spec cables for YouView it doesn't use any of the features it supports. So yes 99p cables will work in most cases
  • iSPYiSPY Posts: 166Member
    edited 13 November 2012, 9:05AM
    Very true, as detailed here,
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-e...
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Proof that you don't need to keep good old fashioned local businesses running when you can get 8 year old children from the Far East to save you a couple of pounds.
  • edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Al

Whether they retail for £100 or £1, they're all made in the Far East and for much the same wage.

When you pay more in the UK, that extra does not make its way back to the guys who make the cables, it sits in the pocket of the con man who convinces you it's inherently better than the £1 version.
  • SW1SW1 Posts: 240Member
    edited 13 November 2012, 9:42AM

I too did not immediately appreciate the post by Neopod, I then checked the site and saw they were selling normally priced cables not the +£30 type of cable and decided to let it go.
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    Martin1 said:

Al

Whether they retail for £100 or £1, they're all made in the Far East and for much the same wage.

When you pay more in the UK, that extra does not make its way back to the guys who make the cables, it sits in the pocket of the con man who convinces you it's inherently better than the £1 version.

I will accept many or even most but not all.
    Martin1 said:

Al

The vast majority are made in the Far East and for much the same wage regardless of the end selling price. :-)

I stand by my second para.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Neil. If you have a YouView service from TalkTalk please visit the following address as some of the information provided in these forums may not be applicable to your own TV service. www.TalkTalk.co.uk/tvhelp

There is also a community forum where you can post questions by visiting:
    http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

@Neopod

The breaches you apparently can't see are of:-

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/you...

Community Guidelines:-

Please Don't (3) Use this community as a market place; please don’t use the forum or your signature to advertise goods or services.

and of:-

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/you...

Community Terms of Use (2):-

Advertisements are not allowed. Generally speaking, posts made specifically for the promotion of a website, product or service are considered advertising or, at least, posts made that unnecessarily send people to a website that you are in some way affiliated with. It does not matter if it is a commercial website, a personal website, a non-profit website, etc. All signature links must be kept in your signature in your profile. Anyone found to be posting excessive links to their websites or suspected of using "sneaky" advertising methods is in violation of our Community Guidelines and/or our Terms of Use. You may only post a link to your site/a site that you are in some way affiliated with if the link specifically answers the question that is being asked and the answer cannot be simply posted without the link. Even then, link directly to the page where the information can be found. General and unnecessary links will be tagged as advertising. If you are found to be excessively posting links to your site (or you appear to be seeking out threads where your link may be relevant, so that you can post it), you may lose the ability to post links to your site.

Also 3, 7, 10 and 11, of which you may have breached all or some.

These rules seem perfectly clear to me, even over a bargain-basement HDMI cable
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • mike fiddlermike fiddler Posts: 75Member
    edited 24 September 2015, 8:24AM
    Coming back to the original topic...did anyone ever find a cure for this?

Watching The Killing or Homeland in HD is challenging...every few seconds you get this hiccup and it drives me up the wall!!!

cheers
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    For Humax boxes, the hiccups (or "crackling" audio) problems for some HD programmes have been tracked down to one of the Dolby software components and a fix is scheduled for January in the next main update. I'm sure that something similar will be possible for TalkTalk boxes, but I don't have the timings for their next release yet.