Accurate record working well

edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM in Archived Posts
Adding to drhowells's positive experience with YouView hunting down a repeat for a clipped recording, I thought I'd flag up an example of how accurate record can work well, possibly even better than padding.

On Sunday I set the film Masquerade to record on BBC One. When I clicked over at the start time the preceding show was still running and the 'now' line in the EPG was already over the film but the box (wisely) hadn't started recording,

In the end the Graham Norton show overran by about 5-6 minutes at which point the box fired up and started recording my film.

As always, it relies on the correct broadcaster data, but IMO thisis a good example of where a smart recording system like YouView's which ensures programmes aren't missed is better than a blunt tool like padding.

Padding would only have worked for me in this instance if I'd added more than 5 minutes to the end time - how many regularly add that much?

Comments

• Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 17 November 2013, 7:05PM
    Absolutely it's good when it works as it should
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 13 November 2012, 11:30AM
    If only Channel 4 and Five used the system.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Martin. Thanks for telling us about your experiences with our service. We’re always glad to hear from people enjoying YouView.
  • [removed][removed] Posts: 282Member
    edited 27 March 2013, 5:48PM
    Great Martin. If only the other Channels would follow suit. They must do their bit to ensure the success of YV.

It's a sad day when a thread complimenting YV stands out from the rest
  • edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    I hope AR is working well.
    BBC1 started Eastenders two minutes early tonight.
    Why?

Smiley
  • drhowellsdrhowells Posts: 634Member ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    gwatuk said:

Why?

Smiley

Mine has recorded perfectly.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    gwatuk said:

Why?

Smiley

To get it over with two minutes sooner. Be grateful for small mercies.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    gwatuk said:

Why?

Smiley

I feel I should point out that I wasn't actually watching this, or the dreaded "One Show" - I just happened to be channel "grazing".
    (This is nice: http://shop.kylemoreabbeytourism.ie/s...)
  • drhowellsdrhowells Posts: 634Member ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    gwatuk said:

Why?

Smiley

ummm, right, I wasn't watching it either.... cough.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    gwatuk said:

Why?

Smiley

ummm, right, perhaps it's one of those female things?.... cough
  • stuart621stuart621 Posts: 616Member
    edited 21 August 2013, 7:58AM
    I find that it works well 99.9% of the time (actually, probably even more than that). I rarely record anything from the channels which don't seem to use AR, however.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 21 August 2013, 8:54AM
    gwatuk said:

Why?

Smiley

The One Show always starts early. I presume it is because of all the different regional news programmes, so if any of them over run for whatever reason, they have a couple of minutes grace!

Usually though they then pad out the start of the next programme with "adverts" (Sorry BBC, but you promote your shows so much these days!) so that they start on time!
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    One point, why do they always use the start AR signal as the stop signal for PVR's to stop recording a programme? I don't know

I notice this a lot when recording three programmes, and especially if ITV/CH4 and CH5, then I always get the message: "Which recording do you want to record?" And I have to quickly check which one is on a commercial channel. so I can safely presume that the programme has stopped recording and hopefully I have the end! Although the BBC are getting really bad and padding out the breaks between programmes with adverts for their own programmes, as well as doing this in the news now! Frustrated

If only broadcasters could send a signal at the end of the credits instead of at the start so the box simply stopped recording at that point, and then started recording the next programme at the start a couple of minutes later? Question Mark

And don't get me started on the "In next weeks episode...." especially for dramas, I don't want to know I until I watch it! 3D smiley full of anger
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 21 August 2013, 9:44AM
    This is why I never schedule B2B recordings on more than two channels at a time on any one of my PVRs.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 784Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM

One point, why do they always use the start AR signal as the stop signal for PVR's to stop recording a programme? I don't know

I notice this a lot when recording three programmes, and especially if ITV/CH4 and CH5, then I always get the message: "Which recording do you want to record?" And I have to quickly check which one is on a commercial channel. so I can safely presume that the programme has stopped recording and hopefully I have the end! Although the BBC are getting really bad and padding out the breaks between programmes with adverts for their own programmes, as well as doing this in the news now! Frustrated

If only broadcasters could send a signal at the end of the credits instead of at the start so the box simply stopped recording at that point, and then started recording the next programme at the start a couple of minutes later? Question Mark

And don't get me started on the "In next weeks episode...." especially for dramas, I don't want to know I until I watch it! 3D smiley full of anger

Scuttlebroom 3 hours ago

One point, why do they always use the start AR signal as the stop signal for PVR's to
    Because there is only one point in time when the NEXT programme becomes the NOW programme, therefore your PVR uses it as both start and stop signal.

Depending on broadcaster the placement of the signal is usually just before the programme starts - that way when you watch it back you don't have to wade through all the garbage at the begining. When the programme ends you can just hit STOP!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton