full screen problem with youview box?

craig taggartcraig taggart Posts: 2Member
edited 17 July 2017, 3:41PM in Archived Posts
is there a way to change how some channels don't fill the full screen?i have tried using the television remote to change the ratio but it don't work. any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• northernnorthern Posts: 241Member
    edited 22 February 2017, 6:07PM
    hi craig
    it is not a problem with the youview box, the programme is shown as intended and as it was originally broadcast
    YV do not have an option to alter this
  • craig taggartcraig taggart Posts: 2Member
    edited 23 November 2012, 6:06PM
    ok glad to hear its nothing to do with the box, thanks for the reply
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    @Cestrian, that's not quite correct.

Channels such as PIck TV broadcast 4:3 content in 4:3 ( = 12:9), and TVs set for 16:9 stretch that to 16:9 such that there are no black bars.

But the YV box takes such 4:3 and outputs it as 12:9 with 2:9 black bars each side. (That's how TVs set for Auto Wide show it.)

So it can show up differently via YV than it does via direct broadcast if you don't have Auto Wide set on your TV.

However, it is true that:-
    (a) the program is shown as it was originally intended and
    (b) that YV does this deliberately and you can't alter it.

So nothing wrong with the box as such, but it is to do with how the box is designed to work.

There is a request for this to be user-settable, so you can have stretched 4:3 if you want it, but it may not be the highest priority item on the list.

In the meantime, if you want to get rid of the black bars Craig, have you got a Zoom on your TV? You should be able to get rid of them that way, though the top and bottom of the picture may be a little cropped.
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:55PM
    This is one of my pet hates...
    I am surprised that so many people seem happy to watch 4:3 content on a widescreen TV set to "fill the screen" - I find the distortion obvious and annoying, all those oval faces!
    And I get annoyed having to use the aspect control on my TV when the broadcasters get it wrong.
    I for one am very pleased that YouView seems to have addressed this problem and are broadcasting with the correct format displayed.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Posts: 183Member
    edited 25 November 2012, 10:48AM
    Rather than change the ratio to fit the format, someone should make a tv that changes the screen size when different size, simalr to what happens at the cinema.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Or people could just learn to concentrate on the programme and not the black bars.
  • Gerry JacksonGerry Jackson Posts: 23Member
    edited 3 April 2014, 9:16PM
    I've just installed a YouView box, and having watched the re-runs of Stargate SG1 on Pick over the last couple of months on an auto-expanded picture, I find the black bars [i]extremely[/i] annoying. Distorted or not, your eyes adjust to the fact that the picture is stretched, and to suddenly go back to 4:3 with black bars is even more of a shock.
  • Steve Wright1Steve Wright1 Posts: 2Member
    edited 5 February 2013, 7:06PM

I've just installed a YouView box, and having watched the re-runs of Stargate SG1 on Pick over the last couple of months on an auto-expanded picture, I find the black bars [i]extremely[/i] annoying. Distorted or not, your eyes adjust to the fact that the picture is stretched, and to suddenly go back to 4:3 with black bars is even more of a shock.

Exactly right, I'd rather watch hardly noticeable distorted pictures than have to look at two glaringly obvious black bars. As far as I'm concerned this is oversight by YV and needs to be addressed asap.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,924Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Some TVs can stretch the picture, some can't. If you have one that doesn't, get one that does. Don't expect an entire TV broadcast platform to conform to your own preferences and choice of equipment.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 781Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    Why is it that no one ever complaines about the black bars above and below a wide screen film presentation?

Personally I watch the action
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • stuart621stuart621 Posts: 616Member
    edited 5 February 2013, 11:00PM

My eyes do not adjust to the picture being distorted so that everybody looks short and fat. I have no problem with the black bars.
    edited 5 February 2013, 11:00PM
    Anaglypta said:

Why is it that no one ever complaines about the black bars above and below a wide screen film presentation?

Personally I watch the action

Agreed.
  • Dee ThakeDee Thake Posts: 1Member
    edited 9 September 2015, 9:13PM
    I'm watching Jeramy kyle USA and its in 4:3 surly it's not meant to be that way, it's a new show.
  • Steve Wright2Steve Wright2 Posts: 1Member
    edited 3 April 2014, 9:19PM
    Yes you're right Dee. You should NOT have to watch a relatively new show in NARROW VISION. There should at least be an OPTION to change it.

This is what they call PROGRESS!!

Sort it out YouView.
    Dee

"I'm watching Jeramy kyle USA and its in 4:3 surly it's not meant to be that way, it's a new show."

According to this YouTube clip, the episodes on ITV Player and the Wiki entry it is indeed made and meant to be 4:3.

From the Wiki:
    Picture format 480i (4:3) (SDTV)

Steve

" You should NOT have to watch a relatively new show in NARROW VISION. "

"Sort it out YouView."

As the show is made that way - see above - what exactly do you want YouView to "sort"?
  • BoDBoD Posts: 69Member
    edited 25 February 2013, 5:06PM

Yes you're right Dee. You should NOT have to watch a relatively new show in NARROW VISION. There should at least be an OPTION to change it.

This is what they call PROGRESS!!

Sort it out YouView.

Oh dear.
  • BoDBoD Posts: 69Member
    edited 25 February 2013, 5:15PM
    Roy1 said:

@Cestrian, that's not quite correct.

Channels such as PIck TV broadcast 4:3 content in 4:3 ( = 12:9), and TVs set for 16:9 stretch that to 16:9 such that there are no black bars.

But the YV box takes such 4:3 and outputs it as 12:9 with 2:9 black bars each side. (That's how TVs set for Auto Wide show it.)

So it can show up differently via YV than it does via direct broadcast if you don't have Auto Wide set on your TV.

However, it is true that:-
    (a) the program is shown as it was originally intended and
    (b) that YV does this deliberately and you can't alter it.

So nothing wrong with the box as such, but it is to do with how the box is designed to work.

There is a request for this to be user-settable, so you can have stretched 4:3 if you want it, but it may not be the highest priority item on the list.

In the meantime, if you want to get rid of the black bars Craig, have you got a Zoom on your TV? You should be able to get rid of them that way, though the top and bottom of the picture may be a little cropped.

No - 12:9 is exactly the same as 4:3 ie 1.333. The YV does not output 12:9. It always outputs 16:9 and places the 4:3 image in the center. This is over HDMI.

The display device, TV, should allow the user to decide how they want to view it.

Auto Wide or Auto Zoom will quite often take the 4:3 and make it 14:9 cutting of the topottom of the picture.

Smart Zoom will quite often stretch the picture to fit 16:9 with some added trickery. The central third of the picture look fine but as you move closer to the vertical edges images will distort. Almost goldfish bowl like.

Personally, I hate all methods of changing aspect ratio to something it shouldn't be.

But, in all cases it should be the display device (TV or monitor) that allows for Aspect Ratio change not the source device.
  • Steve Wright1Steve Wright1 Posts: 2Member
    edited 9 September 2015, 9:13PM
    I did not have this issue with my old BT Vision box or Virgin Tivo box. My tv's built in freeview automatically stretches the picture too.

I'm not disputing what picture format the show was made in. My point is that there's no option to adjust/change it.

Does that answer your questiion?
    >>I'm not disputing what picture format the show was made in. My point is that there's no option to adjust/change it. <<

Absolutely. So who would you expect to facilitate the introduction of any distortions to the picture which the user may wish to make? The broadcaster? The transmitter company? The manufacturer of receivers? Or those who make display equipment?
  • MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    in reply to the argument about which device is responsible ill say this.

most receivers have been able to strech the images from the first days of digi boxes, where as not all display devices have got this option to do so.

So why change now just to sute YouViews stance on this.

and also ill ask you this what come first the chicken or the egg lol
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The purpose of aspect ratio settings in set-top boxes in the early days of widescreen transmission was for the benefit of users with 4:3 CRT TVs. It is a shame that YouView do not cater for that market, but there we are, backward compatibility for a small and dwindling minority was clearly not a consideration.

Distorting pictures to fit the screen on widescreen TVs was never the main purpose of such a setting. This is the supported by the fact that there are a variety of Stretchyvision features across different makes and model of TV. The fact that some TVs can distort pictures and others can't is hardly the fault, or responsibility of YouView. If you want a distorted picture, get a TV that will do it.
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    we should ban this topic lmao

end of day we all going keep going over and over on this and the fact is youview are not even considering it to be added so its a waste of time, but why people who have no problem with the current way are so vocal about it ill never understand as it doesent affect you in any way.
    >>but why people who have no problem with the current way are so vocal about it ill never understand as it doesent affect you in any way. <<

Because people keep asking the question. What would you have the rest of us do, just ignore them?

And it could affect us if YouView misguidedly decided to bow to the distortionists and thus messed around with everybody else's boxes.
    edited 25 February 2013, 10:45PM
    Just out of interest, do people who like their TV screen filled prefer stretching (making everybody look short and fat) or zooming (cutting off the top & bottom of the picture & reducing picture quality)? or are people not bothered, as long as there are no black bars?
    As redchiz says, this was a feature originally introduced to allow 4:3 TV users to see all of a 16:9 picture. The fact that some 16:9 TV owners have adopted it as a means of watching less of a 4:3 picture isn't an issue for YouView to address.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 345Member
    edited 25 February 2013, 6:35PM
    Madcotto said:

end of day we all going keep going over and over on this and the fact is youview are not even considering it to be added so its a waste of time, but why people who have no problem with the current way are so vocal about it ill never understand as it doesent affect you in any way.

Well said Madcotto.
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    ill see you all when this question is next asked and the next and the next and the next. ;p
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 781Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    Madcotto said:

I agree, the subject has just about been done to death, so chill folks and go watch this slightly unrelated video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSf...

".....no one cares about you...."
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    LOL @ Madcotto. Along with the "why haven't I had my update yet?" posts.
    edited 25 February 2013, 6:46PM
    redchiz said:

LOL @ Madcotto. Along with the "why haven't I had my update yet?" posts.

lol yea but i can avoid that topic as mine updates fine everytime lol