full screen problem with youview box?

2»

Comments

• Gerry JacksonGerry Jackson Posts: 23Member
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:17PM
    Madcotto said:

we should ban this topic lmao

end of day we all going keep going over and over on this and the fact is youview are not even considering it to be added so its a waste of time, but why people who have no problem with the current way are so vocal about it ill never understand as it doesent affect you in any way.

There is a modern name for those who brook no criticism of their favoured tech Madcotto, be it deserved or not. 'Fanboys'

"Fanboy is a pejorative term used to describe an individual who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors (often including logic) that differ from their point of view." ...Source: Wikipedia... ;-)
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    Just to add some fuel to the fire....

The programme I was having problems with... 'Stargate SG1',I've done some research and it was actually filmed in 16:9 (I now have the DVD), so all the arguments about 4:3 being the way it was originally intended to be viewed would appear to be spurious. The original frame size must have been cut to accommodate 4:3
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:29PM
    Madcotto said:

end of day we all going keep going over and over on this and the fact is youview are not even considering it to be added so its a waste of time, but why people who have no problem with the current way are so vocal about it ill never understand as it doesent affect you in any way.

If you mean I would rather Youview and their partners spent their time and effort improving the product rather than breaking it by making it do something that belongs in the dark ages and for which there is already a solution for the lazy viewer should they care to use it then in this case, yes I am part of that particular club.
  • stuart621stuart621 Posts: 616Member
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:30PM

The programme I was having problems with... 'Stargate SG1',I've done some research and it was actually filmed in 16:9 (I now have the DVD), so all the arguments about 4:3 being the way it was originally intended to be viewed would appear to be spurious. The original frame size must have been cut to accommodate 4:3

The channel showing it may have only bought a 4:3 version. Cheapskates! :)
  • drhowellsdrhowells Posts: 634Member ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM

Taken from Wikipaedia (the font of all knowledge) "All episodes were filmed in 16:9 wide-screen, although Stargate SG-1 was broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio in its first years."
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:32PM

Pick TV stuart.....say no more lol
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:33PM

There you go, then! :)
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:37PM
    Madcotto said:

op·tion (pshn)
    n.
    1. The act of choosing; choice. See Synonyms at choice.
    2. The power or freedom to choose.
    2. Something chosen or available as a choice.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 345Member
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:39PM

Brilliant Gerry, that certainly will add fuel to the fire.
    I've not contributed to this type of thread for ages as I also think it's been done to death, so I'll reiterate that I don't think it's the work of the devil to adjust programmes to fill the screen.
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:40PM
    Madcotto said:

That's right. People should have the option of distorting the picture either to make everybody look short and fat or to throw away part of the picture and lose a lot of image quality in the process. :)
  • MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:47PM
    Madcotto said:

Anaglypta loved the video, thats another thing that really bugs the **** out of me i just scream at the screen
  • MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    their have been times when i was half sure the program should be in 16:9 but ive never bothered checking. wonder how often this happens as does indeed add some fuel to this fire.

Down with vertical and square videos!!!!!!
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,963Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM

Doesn't add any fuel at all, SD = 4:3 in much US programming. As I said earlier...
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 25 February 2013, 9:18PM
    Madcotto said:

But why add an option to do something when there is already an option to do that very thing? Perverse or what?
  • Kelly MillwardKelly Millward Posts: 1Member
    edited 22 December 2013, 6:16PM
    How can I change some of my Chanel's on my you view box to wide screen I don't want to watch it on 4:3 I want to watch a program that fits my tv screen please help
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,431Member, Champion mod
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi Kelly - the short answer is the YouView system offers no options/feature to change the output format, it simply presents the programmes in the format they are being transmitted/the original aspect ratio.

There have been times when this has been much discussed as you will see from the previous forum topics and links within them:

http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/aspect_ratio_of_4_3_shown_on_16_9
    http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/aspect_rato

Some would call the sort of feature needed 'stretchyvision'. As an idea that is listed as item 89 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests.

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Kelly - the short answer is the YouView system offers no options/feature to change the output format, it simply presents the programmes in the format they are being transmitted/the original aspect ratio.

There have been times when this has been much discussed as you will see from the previous forum topics and links within them:

http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/aspect_ratio_of_4_3_shown_on_16_9
    http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/aspect_rato

Some would call the sort of feature needed 'stretchyvision'. As an idea that is listed as item 89 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests.

it simply presents the programmes in the format they are being transmitted/the original aspect ratio

Would that it did.

But receiving a 4:3 signal, YouView takes it upon itself to re-encode (yes, re-encode) this as 12:9 within 16:9, which means that any TV the YouView signal is output to sees it as a 16:9 signal, and therefore only provides those picture adjustments the TV sees as appropriate for 16:9.

Whereas the TV might have a whole panoply of additional or different options it could apply to the original 4:3 signal, if the YouView box passed this on unchanged, instead of opening the envelope, so to speak, and putting the contents in a new envelope.

And this is the nub of the problem.

Personally, I'm entirely happy with the way that YouView handles 4:3; but while I would like it to stay the default, I would like to see transparent passthrough of 4:3 as an additional option for those who wish to view 4:3 programming via YouView in the same way that they view it directly on their TV.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Roy1 said:

@Cestrian, that's not quite correct.

Channels such as PIck TV broadcast 4:3 content in 4:3 ( = 12:9), and TVs set for 16:9 stretch that to 16:9 such that there are no black bars.

But the YV box takes such 4:3 and outputs it as 12:9 with 2:9 black bars each side. (That's how TVs set for Auto Wide show it.)

So it can show up differently via YV than it does via direct broadcast if you don't have Auto Wide set on your TV.

However, it is true that:-
    (a) the program is shown as it was originally intended and
    (b) that YV does this deliberately and you can't alter it.

So nothing wrong with the box as such, but it is to do with how the box is designed to work.

There is a request for this to be user-settable, so you can have stretched 4:3 if you want it, but it may not be the highest priority item on the list.

In the meantime, if you want to get rid of the black bars Craig, have you got a Zoom on your TV? You should be able to get rid of them that way, though the top and bottom of the picture may be a little cropped.

But the YV box takes such 4:3 and outputs it as {12:9 with 2:9 black bars each side}. Curly brackets added to clarify what I said.
    Holding my breath....
  • Shauna Mc CaugheyShauna Mc Caughey Posts: 1Member
    edited 30 March 2014, 9:52PM

I've just installed a YouView box, and having watched the re-runs of Stargate SG1 on Pick over the last couple of months on an auto-expanded picture, I find the black bars [i]extremely[/i] annoying. Distorted or not, your eyes adjust to the fact that the picture is stretched, and to suddenly go back to 4:3 with black bars is even more of a shock.

I have been having these probs too with the picrure bein smaller on certain channels depending on how the show was shown first its a pity there isnt a screen setting on the youview controller which if you wanted to change picture size to fit screen which would have been great
  • johnshipman4johnshipman4 Posts: 65Member
    edited 9 September 2015, 8:13PM
    Anaglypta said:

Why is it that no one ever complaines about the black bars above and below a wide screen film presentation?

Personally I watch the action

because 4/3 is nearly square box which is outdated
  • johnshipman4johnshipman4 Posts: 65Member
    edited 20 October 2014, 3:36AM
    redchiz said:

The purpose of aspect ratio settings in set-top boxes in the early days of widescreen transmission was for the benefit of users with 4:3 CRT TVs. It is a shame that YouView do not cater for that market, but there we are, backward compatibility for a small and dwindling minority was clearly not a consideration.

Distorting pictures to fit the screen on widescreen TVs was never the main purpose of such a setting. This is the supported by the fact that there are a variety of Stretchyvision features across different makes and model of TV. The fact that some TVs can distort pictures and others can't is hardly the fault, or responsibility of YouView. If you want a distorted picture, get a TV that will do it.

next you will say it should not be watched on flat screen
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    redchiz said:

The purpose of aspect ratio settings in set-top boxes in the early days of widescreen transmission was for the benefit of users with 4:3 CRT TVs. It is a shame that YouView do not cater for that market, but there we are, backward compatibility for a small and dwindling minority was clearly not a consideration.

Distorting pictures to fit the screen on widescreen TVs was never the main purpose of such a setting. This is the supported by the fact that there are a variety of Stretchyvision features across different makes and model of TV. The fact that some TVs can distort pictures and others can't is hardly the fault, or responsibility of YouView. If you want a distorted picture, get a TV that will do it.

I'm watching Alexander Armstrong's programme about Ripping Yarns on BBC 4 at the moment. The programme is generally in 16:9, but when it shows excerpts from the original programmes, which were made in 4:3, it places black bars either side, as is right and proper.

Next, you will no doubt be asking that when you choose to watch an old black and white film, that YouView should colourise it for you. And perhaps even format it for 3D?
    Holding my breath....
  • Tracy SteelTracy Steel Posts: 1Member
    edited 15 October 2016, 5:00PM
    Roy1 said:

Channels such as PIck TV broadcast 4:3 content in 4:3 ( = 12:9), and TVs set for 16:9 stretch that to 16:9 such that there are no black bars.

But the YV box takes such 4:3 and outputs it as 12:9 with 2:9 black bars each side. (That's how TVs set for Auto Wide show it.)

So it can show up differently via YV than it does via direct broadcast if you don't have Auto Wide set on your TV.

So nothing wrong with the box as such, but it is to do with how the box is designed to work.

There is a request for this to be user-settable, so you can have stretched 4:3 if you want it, but it may not be the highest priority item on the list.

In the meantime, if you want to get rid of the black bars Craig, have you got a Zoom on your TV? You should be able to get rid of them that way, though the top and bottom of the picture may be a little cropped.

This is BS you shouldn't have to reset stuff that you never set in the first place!
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,963Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Tracy, brilliant first contribution to an ancient topic, welcome aboard. :-)
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Tracy

YouView adopts the purist view that 4:3 should be shown as 4:3, but embeds it in a 16:9 frame, which means that most TVs won't try to depart from this, even if you have Stretchyvision (as it is known) enabled.

And usually can't depart from it, as they don't have the processing options to stretch the 16:9 to 21:9 and then crop it, which is what you need to get Stretchyvision from the 12:9 in 16:9 picture that YouView presents you with when it receives a 4:3 signal.

I happen to approve of how YouView do this, but it should only be a default, not something set in stone that can't be changed for those who want it otherwise.

I have the relevant DTG (Digital TV Group) publication on this - Recommended Receiver Reaction to Aspect
    Ratio Signalling in Digital Video Broadcasting - and it is very technical, but nobody from YouView has ever refuted my claim that YouView does not comply with this document.

Where, if I understand correctly, YouView are perfectly entitled to send the signal onward as 12:9 within 16:9, but ought also to be transmitting the out-of-band information that the signal was originally 4:3, information which they instead suppress :-(

Almost all TVs today seem to be stating that you should watch only limited amounts of 4:3, if indeed any, due to the bad effect this has on screens, with the black areas unused for long periods.

YouView could perhaps avoid this by setting these areas 50% grey, but they don't even do that.

You might want to take your complaint to the DTG, though it is only a recommendation YouView are breaching, not a standard. And be aware that one of the illustrious board of the DTG sitting in judgement on this will be none other than member Richard Halton, CEO of - guess what?
    Holding my breath....
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    Roy1 said:

Roys saying what you see is what you get and there is no way to change it.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    Roy1 said:

As Mary Archer said of her husband Jeffrey, Visionman has a gift for inaccurate précis :-)
    Holding my breath....
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,319Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM
    Roy1 said:

So now that we know his identity, should we call Visionman Jeffrey from now on?