Series link records multiple programs across multiple channels.

Comments

• gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 29 November 2012, 11:53AM
    This is Five's well known inability to use use series and episode identifiers properly. As the home of The Gadget Show it is ironic they really don't understand how modern broadcasting works.
  • calvin heathcalvin heath Member Posts: 54
    edited 29 November 2012, 1:41PM
    Then if this is a broadcasting issue why didn't I have the same problem on my freesat box?
    edited 29 November 2012, 4:03PM
    The Youview box does not get its signal from the satellite broadcast.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Yeah, this infamous CH5 hiccup again.

My BT Vision and Freeview PVR's record all the repeats too.

When setting a series record, I then go into 'scheduled recordings' and delete all the repeats there and then.
    I disagree with the disagree as is, as its a joke.
    edited 29 November 2012, 5:22PM
    Call me stupid but if channel 5 (and 4 it seems) cant get their series and episode identifiers working properly on freeview and youview PVR's why does it not affect the satellite broadcast? I don't understand how the same broadcasters can get it so right on one format and so wrong on the other?
    edited 29 November 2012, 5:47PM
    Visionman said:

Yeah, this infamous CH5 hiccup again.

My BT Vision and Freeview PVR's record all the repeats too.

When setting a series record, I then go into 'scheduled recordings' and delete all the repeats there and then.

If I do that they just reappear again. Iv'e even tried "hiding" the channel it repeats on but it still records on it!
    edited 7 October 2013, 7:42PM
    There is a lot of different hardware, software and processes between the two systems for the broadcast to go through before it gets to the viewer
    edited 29 November 2012, 7:10PM
    gomez said:

There is a lot of different hardware, software and processes between the two systems for the broadcast to go through before it gets to the viewer

So at the end of the day whose fault is this? Channel 5, Humax or YouView? Or a combination of all of them? And when are they sorting it out? At this rate I will be returning my box if they can't even fix something simple like getting a series to record properly. I never had this problem with Sky or Freesat so if YouView don't want to start losing customers they need to sort it out with the broadcasters asap.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:46PM
    gomez said:

Channel 5's.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Unlike some other issues where there may be one party technically/strictly at fault, but others could/have (although they should not have to) try/tried to work around the fault, this to me is even clearer, and as Martin says concisely, is a broadcaster fault.

The fact the broadcaster is failing to correctly tag/ID their programmes will affect (almost) all Freeview based PVRs as they do not in general offer mechanisms to work around such a broadcaster fault. So for anyone replacing an existing Freeview based PVR with a YouView box they will get the same issue with their old box as the new one, for anyone replacing a different system such as Sky, TiVo or Freesat this issue will/may be different (although there may be other things a Freeview, or YouView box in particular, may do better too of course).
    edited 29 November 2012, 9:21PM
    Keith1 said:

Unlike some other issues where there may be one party technically/strictly at fault, but others could/have (although they should not have to) try/tried to work around the fault, this to me is even clearer, and as Martin says concisely, is a broadcaster fault.

The fact the broadcaster is failing to correctly tag/ID their programmes will affect (almost) all Freeview based PVRs as they do not in general offer mechanisms to work around such a broadcaster fault. So for anyone replacing an existing Freeview based PVR with a YouView box they will get the same issue with their old box as the new one, for anyone replacing a different system such as Sky, TiVo or Freesat this issue will/may be different (although there may be other things a Freeview, or YouView box in particular, may do better too of course).

There was no issue with my Freesat box. It worked perfectly. Something I will probably go back to now sooner rather than later.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29PM
    Keith1 said:

It is good to know Freesat does everything you want and does it well. At this point in time it does thus seem like the better option open to you is to stick with that. A Freesat Freetime system would then deliver some similar functionality to Youview such as a backwards EPG and some integrated on demand players so may be worth checking out etc :)
    edited 29 November 2012, 10:26PM
    Keith1 said:

I'm just fed up getting nagged from my other half missing some of her favorite programs because of a lazy broadcaster. YouView should have made channel five sort out this problem if they are a partner in the company. But looking through the forums this issue has gone on for years it would seems as C5 refuses to adopt the same series and episode identifiers as BBC and ITV. I can only imagine it comes down to cost at the end of the day.
    edited 29 November 2012, 10:33PM
    gomez said:

The Youview box does not get its signal from the satellite broadcast.

I bloody wish it did! :-)
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:46PM
    Keith1 said:

>> YouView should have made channel five sort out this problem if they are a partner in the company

And how do you think that would be achieved?

YouVIew have already said they're in regular dialogue with all shareholder broadcasters and feeding back ways they can help improve the service.

But how do you think they could have made any broadcaster do anything?
    edited 29 November 2012, 11:07PM
    Keith1 said:

Do you work for YouView Martin? If Channel five became a partner shareholder with YouView then I'm sure the usual contracts and clauses would apply as in any business deal. Thus add a clause for them to sort out this issue in a given timeframe. Or refuse to add the catchup demand 5 player until they do. If this had been done then YouView would have covered themselves and could simply state that they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed by the given date. As it is, anyone who wants to record a series on C5 is screwed and it just makes YouView look bad especially when they trot out the usual guff that they're in regular dialogue with all shareholder broadcasters and feeding back ways they can help improve the service. As this problem has been ongoing for years, they can hardly say they didn't know about it beforehand.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:47PM
    Keith1 said:

Calvin, what is it with you and your obsession with schoolboy insults? Why would I work for YouVIew? Merely for asking a question? Is that really all it takes for you to see bias?

>> If Channel five became a partner shareholder with YouView then I'm sure the usual contracts and clauses would apply as in any business deal. Thus add a clause for them to sort out this issue in a given timeframe. Or refuse to add the catchup demand 5 player until they do.

You clearly have very - if any - little idea what you're talking about.

Channel 5 owns part of YouView. It is in effect one of YouView's bosses, they're not a supplier or contractor taking part in a "business deal" with YouView.

Without the money from the shareholders, YouView would not exist, they created it.

As has already been said, YouView are in regular dialogue with all shareholder broadcasters and feed back ways they can improve the service.

It doesn't matter how much you stomp your foot in my direction, the facts aren't going to change. This is an issue that ultimately only C5 can resolve for their viewers.
    edited 29 November 2012, 11:58PM
    Keith1 said:

I wasn't stomping my foot in anyone's direction but looking back through your comments on other peoples posts your the one who likes to stomp a little and become rude when people don't agree with your views it would seem. I didn't ask for, or want your opinion on this matter as it has already been answered quite politely by Gomez. And I'm not the only person to see bias in your opinion's. My misunderstanding was that I though channel five was a partner (which was a term I hear banded about a lot) and not just a shareholder in YouView. I understand that the issue can only be solved by C5, I never said otherwise. Although as a small broadcaster (and I doubt major shareholder) they are ultimately shooting themselves in the foot by not sorting it out. If this problems affects the sales of YouView then surely the other shareholders would not be happy? Who actually is the major shareholder in Youview? Lord Sugar?
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Member Posts: 105
    edited 12 March 2017, 8:39PM
    Think it needs a few more people to send this fault to Channel5:

http://www.channel5.com/contact-us
    edited 30 November 2012, 12:21AM

Think it needs a few more people to send this fault to Channel5:

http://www.channel5.com/contact-us

First thing I did mate! I was going to email it to the CEO too but they have recently been sacked in a boardroom shake up apparently.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:47PM
    Keith1 said:

>> And I'm not the only person to see bias in your opinion's.

To be biased I'd have to have some kind of connection with YouView or one of its shareholders. I have none. This a user to user forum, the few staff who post here are clearly identified in their names/avatars.

>> Although as a small broadcaster (and I doubt major shareholder)
    >> Who actually is the major shareholder in Youview? Lord Sugar?

Lord Sugar isn't a shareholder of any size in YouVIew, he's merely an employee. Its shareholders are BT, TalkTalk, Arqiva, BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & Channel 5. According to media reports, all are equal shareholders.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    As you've stated Calvin, Ch5 have been at this for years, and the conclusion ALL internet forum users have come down too is it's because of cost. They won't conform to the system all the other broadcasters use because it'll cost them more money to do it.

And thats a very poor show, IMO. And it took them years to get their PQ up to the standard of the other main broadcasters too. Yes, CH5 are a very poor outfit indeed.

I'm just surprised Ofcom have never become involved in this diabolical EPG debacle.
    I disagree with the disagree as is, as its a joke.
    edited 30 November 2012, 10:05AM
    Visionman said:

As you've stated Calvin, Ch5 have been at this for years, and the conclusion ALL internet forum users have come down too is it's because of cost. They won't conform to the system all the other broadcasters use because it'll cost them more money to do it.

And thats a very poor show, IMO. And it took them years to get their PQ up to the standard of the other main broadcasters too. Yes, CH5 are a very poor outfit indeed.

I'm just surprised Ofcom have never become involved in this diabolical EPG debacle.

Would it make any difference if we all complained to Ofcom? It would be nice to think it would but I doubt it.
    At the end of the day the YouView service seems to be pretty good other than this huge turd of a problem, but it does spoil the user experience as a whole.
    So all the people coming over from Sky and Freesat where this issue doesn't exist will immediately blame YouView who I still think are partly responsible.
    If BT, BBC, ITV, Talk Talk, Arqiva, and Channel 5 are all equal partners as reported, the other company shareholders should be really annoyed as C5 are spoiling the service for everyone.
    edited 30 November 2012, 10:12AM
    Visionman said:

When I put partly responsible I mean that maybe this new service shouldn't have even been brought out until All the broadcasting services were of a certain standard or YouView software on the PVR that could work around the problem. I have seen reports of some older Freeview boxes seem to work ok still when series linking on C5.
    I still don't understand how the satellite broadcasting signal is different and works? Has satellite broadcasting got to be of a higher standard?
  • GCGC Member Posts: 17
    edited 30 November 2012, 10:14AM
    Visionman said:

Hmmm I too had C4 Grand Designs (HD version)recorded then recorded again via 4Seven. Never had this on my Sony Freeview HD PVR before so does the YouView software react differently to the broadcasters signals. What I would say is that on the C4 version my YouView box says "partly recorded" even though it recorded 1 hour 1 minute of the programme. I guess that's why it tried to find another version?
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    Visionman said:

The youview box records programs rather than time slots. If there is a conflict in the recording (say if a program overruns which may cause another program recording to fail) then the box will try to find another instance of the program to record. This sounds like what happened to you. Ultimately though the box relies on the broadcaster providing accurate now/next information which the box uses to start/stop the recording and accurate series link flags etc.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Bob BoulbyBob Boulby Member Posts: 55
    edited 13 October 2016, 6:39PM
    Visionman said:

Yes I think that's what happened. I've had Grand Designs on series link for several weeks and not had this problem.

Bob
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Member Posts: 105
    edited 30 November 2012, 5:19PM
    Same thing has happened on my Humax Freeview PVR9200 for the past few years, mainly with Neighbours being recorded on Ch5 and Ch5+1 usually twice a day on each!

Every so often it stopped happening, but then it would come back again.
  • norman summerfieldnorman summerfield Member Posts: 2
    edited 25 April 2013, 10:45PM
    I had this problem with some recordings and decided the box was very poor. However, I deleted the offending entries from the recording schedule and reentered them. It stopped happening, so I doubt it was caused just by the broadcasters. Presumably, bugs remain in the Youview software, as in the majority of software, I suppose.
  • Dianne Christopher1Dianne Christopher1 Member Posts: 3
    edited 7 October 2013, 7:42PM
    gomez said:

s going on here?