YouView's first Champion

TanjaTanja Member Posts: 251
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Discussion
We here at YouView are very happy to introduce our first Champion to our forum. We have chosen Keith to be our first Champion and I am sure you will all agree that this is well deserved on his behalf. Keith has been incredibly helpful since day 1 of the forum, always trying to solve other people’s problems with the YouView box, guiding them to discussions or threads where they can find a solution to their problem and is overall a very active and respected member of this community.
YouView is more than happy to give Keith its first Champions badge.

We will also look to introduce some more champions gradually over next year and will be getting in touch with more outstanding community members that like sharing their knowledge of the YouView box, help new community members finding their way around our forum and perhaps remind members of our community guidelines if needed, to make this a great place for people to exchange their experiences with regards to YouView.

What’s in it for you we hear you ask? YouView will make sure there are some perks as a thank you for all your help.

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    Well deserved!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    Anaglypta said:

Well deserved!

And nice new avatar
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    this is great and well deserved i couldn't think of a better person on this forum to get some acknowledgment.

well done Keith
  • bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    I agree
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 17 December 2012, 7:23PM
    I agree well done keith
  • Donald-Edinburgh YV TRIALISTDonald-Edinburgh YV TRIALIST Member Posts: 30
    edited 17 December 2012, 8:30PM
    Great Keith - and thanks for the advice
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 13 November 2013, 10:01AM
    Yippee!

I knew you would get the reward and recognition you deserve, who says hard work doesn't pay?

Well Done Keith and Seasons Greetings!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,408 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Congratulations, Keith. Couldn't happen to a more deserving person!
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    I would like to add my support for Keith, Almost from day one of the original trial forum he has done sterling work in trying to bring some sort of order to this forum. At all times he has been helpful, and I see his general forum demeanour as an example of what we should all aspire to.

I would like to understand this Champion status, so have a couple of questions:

1) Tanja, have you provided a definition of what a champion is, or what the role involves?

I have searched throughout the forum, and surprise, surprise, the only description of the role i could find was provided by... er, well of course by Keith.

In a previous thread about the forum, Keith wrote:

' The Get Satisfaction system has the concept of a champerator which is a champion moderator. A champion status is something YouView bestow (or revoke) 'to acknowledge users who make a large contribution to the community and who fill an informal leadership role' and one may consider that they also need to see such people as universally respected etc. A champerator is a champion who also has customer moderator/administrator status.'

2) So is Keith a champerator and will he have moderator/administrator status?.
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 5:48PM
    Well done Keith and thoroughly deserved
  • TechnogranTechnogran Member Posts: 152
    edited 18 December 2012, 6:45AM
    Anaglypta said:

Well deserved!

Well done Keith! Very well deserved.
  • Trevor StokesTrevor Stokes Member Posts: 24
    edited 18 December 2012, 9:14AM
    Nice one! Keith, a well deserved accolade for a job well done.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Everyone

I'd like to say thank you to YouView for asking me to be the first YouView champion. Also thank you to everyone else who has posted congratulations above :)

To (partially) answer petkol's questions above:

1) Are there any guidelines for champions - yes YouView have drawn up some initial guidelines - you could say they broadly fit with what I have been doing anyway to date. YouView will perhaps publish the guidance going forwards although in effect they may still be shaping/polishing the champions program/process. Note the Get Satisfaction system and documentation in general has guidance on what a champion is and the YouView specific guidelines will be based upon that etc.

2) Am I a champerator - no I'm just a champion. YouView have an employee moderator and I see it as important that YouView continue to take an active part in moderating the forum, to manage any issues (e.g. bad language or inappropriate behaviour) and to manage certain stock answers and requests to contact YouView support direct etc.

If YouView were to create a champerator I would initially see that additional privilege as a tool to carefully and gently further help keep the forum running smoothly (e.g. minor corrections or improvements to topic titles, potentially changing the flags and categories on some topics (e.g. perhaps removing the answered flag from the manual padding topic and changing it to an idea or problem topic), merging duplicate topics). As such the role would be much more about curation rather than moderation.

So as a champion I will continue to do what I have been doing all along and the main obvious difference is that on posts my avatar has the blue champ border, label and badge (so a little bit like the YouView staff avatars have a green employee border and label). I still have no avatar although maybe I'll give some thought to creating one at some point to be even more recognisable :)
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Belated congrats to Keith.

On the issue of moderation raised by petkol and picked up on by Keith, I'd like to repeat the sentiment I expressed in our earlier discussion about forum moderation.

There's clearly merit in having one or more forum members act as welcoming 'hosts' to help new members find their way around and show people where they can find answers to their queries.

This is what I understand the 'Champion' role to be.

But, and for me it's a big but, I'd find it unwelcome for any customer of YouView, no matter how widely respected, to gain the powers to actively moderate other customers.

Only a paid employee should have the ability - and in my opinion has the unchallenged authority - to tell posters that behaviour is inappropriate or unwelcome or to issue sanctions.

So the 'champerator' role isn't something I'd like to see adopted.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Well done Keith. Enjoy the congratulations before we all start taking the piss!
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 18 December 2012, 11:30AM
    Nice to see Keith's efforts being given the official seal of approval.

But, I would warn against him taking on moderator duties too (other than maybe keeping topics tidy and de-duplicated) as I have seen things turn nasty on other forums where a user-mod has been accused and abused of all sorts.
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    Keith, thanks for the extra information you posted in response to my questions - helpful as ever. I don't think I said it in my previous post, so congratulations for having all your efforts recognised.

Like Martin and Gomez, I think the moderator duties should be left to employees of Youview - it is an official Youview forum after all.

As an aside, I had hoped that Tanja or another Youview employee might answer. I also hope that their intended announcement of more champions does not mean that they will give less input to the forum themselves.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Just got back from a trip away, so just saw this announcement. Nice to see you recognised for the sterling job you've done on the forum. Keith. Feather in your cap.
  • DADA Member Posts: 142
    edited 3 May 2014, 8:08PM
    Congratulations, more than deserved. YouView, what took you so long? ;)
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    I'm I drunk or is the introducing more champions bit of the thread 4 years overdue?
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    No one else was considered worthy I expect :)

John.
    edited 11 July 2017, 3:59PM
    Anaglypta said:

No one else was considered worthy I expect :)

John.

That certainly looks to be the case. Keith has set a fine example to live up to certainly but unfortunately as no one else has been asked if things need doing on the weekend it's left only Keith on the forum. I understand he may be reluctant to remove posts but still plenty of other stuff such as editing etc.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,408 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2017, 10:30PM
    Daniel4 said:

I'm I drunk or is the introducing more champions bit of the thread 4 years overdue?

I think you have drifted into the wrong thread :-)

FWIW, we did have a second Champion, but his Championship was somewhat short-lived :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 11 July 2017, 10:30PM
    Daniel4 said:

Is he still a member of the youview community?
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2017, 11:04PM
    Daniel4 said:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/and_then_there_were_2_youviews_second_champion