Boot Fail. Invalid signature

DavoDavo Posts: 110Member
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
Great my box is dead now it seems, I was only watching Corrie on itv player gov, guess I should have just switched off from the wall but I held down the start button instead

Nothinjg I can do, dead, all recordings gone ?? I had some great stuff shame

Comments

• SW1SW1 Posts: 240Member
    edited 27 December 2012, 8:49AM
    See what others say, but if you search for invalid signhature, I am sure you will see everyone with this error message has had to return their box for a replacement. :(
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi Davo - yes there is (so far) no reported way to recover from BFIS except to get a replacement box, see for example this topic. It is item 12 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults.

If it is a Humax retail box (or one from the trials) then the contact number for Humax is 0844 669 8800.
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Hi Davo. You might need a replacement but it's worth trying to re-download the software from the internet first.

http://videos.youview.com/support/mai...

If there's a hardware or low level software problem, you may also get the same message (boot fail), but if not it's possible that the main software has just become corrupted. The option you want to try is "Internet / USB Recovery, keep recordings".
  • DavoDavo Posts: 110Member
    edited 27 December 2012, 11:21AM
    I can not get into Maintenance Mode, tried over and over but nothing with me
    edited 27 December 2012, 2:33PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Davo - yes there is (so far) no reported way to recover from BFIS except to get a replacement box, see for example this topic. It is item 12 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults.

If it is a Humax retail box (or one from the trials) then the contact number for Humax is 0844 669 8800.

After over 15 mins of waiting I gave up, this box should never have been released to the market with these problems, serious flaws which should have been fixed, almost like a 21st centurty amstrad product....

No1 rule don't recorded anything on this you want to keep !
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 27 December 2012, 2:59PM
    Keith1 said:

Apart from under strict interpretation of the law that is illegal anyway the same can be said for any such device.
  • edited 27 December 2012, 3:02PM
    Keith1 said:

Gomez

As you know, I've been slammed before for pointing out that NO PVR is a suitable long-term storage device. It is a message people do not want to hear.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Keith1 said:

@Dave
    Funny you should mention Amstrad. Look who's running YouView.......
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 27 December 2012, 3:19PM
    Keith1 said:

haha that's why I did !
  • edited 27 December 2012, 3:22PM
    Keith1 said:

Sugar doesn't own Amstrad, he sold it to Sky years ago and he doesn't run YouView, that's the job of the CEO Richard Halton.

Sugar is the Chair of YouView's board of directors, he's not responsible for the day today operation of the company.
    Keith1 said:

@Martin

You need to think quantatively, not qualitatively.

I think you may be confusing the theoretical possibility of a premature hard disk failure with the penchant that YouView boxes seem to have for software-driven early self-immolation.

If you measure the MTBF of a range of hard drives, you will arrive at the very low probability of losing any one TV-programme-sized file in any given period, and the even lower probability of total loss.

Which you may contrast with the rather-too-frequent reports of such in here. On boxes whose hard drives clearly, have not failed at all.
  • edited 27 December 2012, 3:50PM
    Keith1 said:

I'm confusing nothing, any device you can't back up is a poor longterm storage solution.

Nor am I defending the YouView boot failures, I'd be miffed if it happened to me too.
    edited 27 December 2012, 4:02PM
    I have recommended this box to a few but wish I had'nt now, very very disapointed, like an old 486 pc...boot fail...I guess the youview box is just too complex with all the on demand stuff and is ahead of it's time still ?

Yes I will get a replacement great but forget recording anything you hope to keep as I am certain the boot fail problem will happen again and again

I wonder how the freesat equavilent is doing !
  • edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    "but forget recording anything you hope to keep"

The box isn't meant as a long-term storage device, it's for recording shows to watch at a later date and then delete in keeping with UK copyright law which makes it permissible to "time-shift" programmes but not keep them or place them in a permanent library.

"I wonder how the freesat equavilent is doing !"

Not very well based on posts on DigitalSpy and other forums.
    Martin1 said:

"but forget recording anything you hope to keep"

The box isn't meant as a long-term storage device, it's for recording shows to watch at a later date and then delete in keeping with UK copyright law which makes it permissible to "time-shift" programmes but not keep them or place them in a permanent library.

"I wonder how the freesat equavilent is doing !"

Not very well based on posts on DigitalSpy and other forums.

Perhaps Dave should have said 'forget recording anything you hope to watch - unless you are jolly quick about it'
  • NannyNickNannyNick Posts: 22Member
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    I have been away for 2 weeks and have come home to find that my YouView box (brought from John Lewis, so Humax Retail version?) would not turn on via the remote, or front panel button. Power off and on has got it displaying the BFIS message (plus Ver A7.76). Guess I've lost the Xmas recordings which were scheduled plus now need to return to Humax (or a John Lewis branch?) - will anywhere else provide a replacement, as JL isn't near.
  • edited 5 January 2013, 8:06PM
    NannyNick said:

I have been away for 2 weeks and have come home to find that my YouView box (brought from John Lewis, so Humax Retail version?) would not turn on via the remote, or front panel button. Power off and on has got it displaying the BFIS message (plus Ver A7.76). Guess I've lost the Xmas recordings which were scheduled plus now need to return to Humax (or a John Lewis branch?) - will anywhere else provide a replacement, as JL isn't near.

Hi Nick

Your contract is with JL so ordinarily you'd have to return the box to them though Humax might do a warranty swap for you.
    edited 5 January 2013, 8:14PM
    NannyNick said:

Thanks Martin. Thought as much, a trip to Reading on Monday seems on the cards. Trying to get into maintenance mode to see if that will work but not even getting as far as seeing the maintenance menu - anyone know if the box displays Hello or Please Wait whilst getting from the boot screen to the Maintenance screen?
    edited 5 January 2013, 8:29PM
    I'd love to know how many boxes have been replaced retuned etc, must run into thousands...just wondering how long my new replacement lasts before the boot fail problem shows, already had the double boot problem of course and only had it a few days

This problem has to make it onto watchdog very soon !
    edited 5 January 2013, 8:43PM
    NannyNick said:

No joy getting into Maintenance mode. Ah well, with luck JL will replace it.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Posts: 183Member
    edited 5 January 2013, 9:59PM
    NannyNick said:

What eco mode was your box in before it went faulty?
    edited 5 January 2013, 10:02PM
    NannyNick said:

It was in High Eco. Was there a software update during the past 2 weeks - updates have been ok in the past (had box since end of July).
    edited 5 January 2013, 10:12PM
    NannyNick said:

If it helps anyone to know, my YouView box did have the December software update installed (as I was able to access the menu for connecting the App) but alas I didn't get an iPad until Xmas day (whilst away from home) so was not able to activate that functionality, which would have also put the box in Low Eco mode.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Posts: 183Member
    edited 5 January 2013, 10:17PM
    NannyNick said:

No last update was beginning of December. I am wondering if this problem is related to the long boot time problem. I also think that this problem (boot fail)has only happened since the last couple of software updates. Be intreated if any one has boot fail problem after leaving there box in LOW eco mode?
  • Ian4Ian4 Posts: 4Member
    edited 6 January 2013, 8:15PM
    Received my Youview box on Friday 4th Jan (through BT). In great anticipation I followed all the start-up routines, successfully tuned to 100+ channels. It then began to download software updates and after which it re-started..........Boot fail. Invalid signature!! after which it has failed to acknowledge any command (apart from the off switch!)

I phoned the BT helpline and have been totally frustrated by the lack of skill or knowledge about this problem and after 5 calls over the weekend I'm now waiting for a further call from BT.

Reading the comments on this topic it appear all is lost and I need a new box. Just need BT to wake up to this!
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi Ian. Sorry to hear that. Have you tried recovering the software as described in this document.?

• Ian4Ian4 Posts: 4Member
    edited 6 January 2013, 8:26PM
    Hi - Yes, managed to get as far as "Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N (Y: POWER)" but as soon as I press the Power button it reverts to the Boot fail message:(
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    If the maintenance mode software also fails to load then you will need a replacement box. We still haven't heard from Humax why this is happening to a small number of boxes. Once again, apologies for the inconvenience and I hope you get a quick replacement from BT.
    Piers2 said:

Hi Ian. Sorry to hear that. Have you tried recovering the software as described in this document.?

Piers, as far as I know, once you have BFIS, you can't get into Maintenance Mode, so there's no point recommending that to people. But do you know to the contrary?
    edited 17 November 2015, 3:18PM
    Piers2 said:

Based on several posts to this forum, I can see why you'd think that but it's not correct. Maintenance mode is primarily designed to recover from situations like this where the main software can't be loaded, but unfortunately on some Humax boxes the recovery software can't be loaded either. We're working with their engineers to understand why.