CEC lasted two days :-(

RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
After getting CEC capability in the latest update, I'm sad to say my retail Humax lost this yesterday.

Testing it this morning, it had got out of sync - turning On the Humax would turn Off the TV - and it had gone back to advertising itself as CEC still, on my Samsung TV's source menu, but then failing to negotiate if you chose that.

I did the >8-second restart, and the CEC capability came back.

Now, this is the first >8 I've had to do since getting the replacement Humax, so that's good. But I now fear it may not be the last - I'll have to keep an eye on this CEC capability.

But whether this was a one-off, or what will now have to become a daily chore, may I join the growing chorus of people saying "I shouldn't have to do this?" while toggling the box off and on just to get it working properly again?
This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(

Comments

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 876Member
    edited 25 February 2017, 9:03PM
    I'm beginning to think CEC is a bit like Bluetooth, great when it works, but flaky as hell and an annoyance when it doesn't.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The CEC I restored as above was gone again this morning, and needed another >8 to resurrect it.

Actually, I suspect it had gone last night, as when it works, putting the YV box into standby causes the TV to return to the last broadcast channel selected, and when it doesn't, it stays on the YV source input and says 'Signal not present', which is what it did last night.

I call 'bug' - sort it out, YouView!
    Gone again this morning also. I wonder what it is that it does not survive?

It's not the simple act of putting it into standby, as I've just done that to test that the latest >8 has worked (it has).

But that was a quick off/on. It seems to be a time thing that loses CEC.

YouView reps, any thoughts?.
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Hi Roy. CEC functionality (and HDMI output in general) is part of the Humax software stack, so we'll pass your report on to them. We've tested with several TV's but have not run exhaustive soaks tests to spot the kind of problem you're seeing, as it's difficult to automate for multiple TVs models. Sorry it's not working as expected.

What's the model number of your Samsung TV?
    Hi Piers. Thanks for this

It's a 2011 Samsung UE32D6530.

This CEC thing is very odd; it never worked before the most recent update, and I was inclined to blame it on the Humax box not having the capability.

But as it started working when I installed the latest update, I then presumed that I was being unfair to Humax, and it was the YouView software that wasn't calling it properly.

So - in the continuing absence of an official and complete list of the issues addressed and the enhancements made in the latest update, which many of us are asking for, but in vain it seems :-( - are you saying that the Humax stack got modified in the latest update, to add this capability?

Or is it perhaps that the YouView software has been enhanced to call it appropriately at last, and that this has perhaps revealed a shortcoming there?

Certainly, it all works perfectly, and exactly as described in the Core Technical Specification, immediately after a >8 restart; it seems to revert to its old behaviour over time, though.

I do hope you can bottom it; the auto-switch-on was very well received on the distaff side of the family, and I now have to sneak in a quick >8 each day when she's not looking, to keep it that way :-)
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Hi Roy - we still don't have a fix date from Humax so we're increased the priority to get more people looking at it. Sorry it's not better news.
    Thanks Piers.

However, in the "just don't know when you're well off" stakes, this has rather fallen behind runaway skip, currently holding the rating I'm giving YV down somewhat.

More points when that's fixed, though, I promise :-)
  • TechnogranTechnogran Posts: 152Member
    edited 4 April 2013, 7:20AM
    Strangely enough, the TT Huawei unit seems much better at CEC with my Samsung tv, tending to work well all the time. Pull your socks up Humax!