Audio Crackling on HD channels

Kevin GoodingKevin Gooding Posts: 2Member
edited 14 August 2017, 8:15AM in Archived Posts
After completing recent upgrade, I now get audio crackle on HD channels, most noticeable on recorded programs.This problem is intermittent and has only started since the upgrade.

Comments

• gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 13 January 2013, 10:53PM
    Over SPDIF or HDMI? From TV or separate sound system? Example programmes or recordings someone else here may have experience of?
  • Simon7Simon7 Posts: 49Member
    edited 13 January 2013, 11:03PM
    Absolutely - horrible crackle too - mines via HDMI straight into a Panasonic TV. The previous software version was largely fine, apart from (what I noticed anyway) HD films which sounded bad, I assume they were attempting to transmit Dolby digital unsuccessfully.
  • mike fiddlermike fiddler Posts: 75Member
    edited 24 September 2015, 7:24AM
    Yes, I have this also...have just finished catching up on Homeland, recorded on 4HD. The sound hiccups have gone, but there is an intermittent crackling noise....once it starts up it doesn't stop for some time, though oddly it didn't occur during the adverts.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 13 January 2013, 11:50PM
    Have you checked that the HDMI Audio format is set to STEREO. Trying changing it to SURROUND then back to STEREO.
    Ok thanks, will check that tonight. I've not adjusted that setting, so it will be set to whatever the default value is,. cheers.
    edited 14 January 2013, 10:29AM
    Makes no odds, both output options have crackle. I've tried changing it a bunch of times & "turning it off and on again". I've not tried piping it via my Onkyo receiver, but then I shouldn't have to / the majority of people won't have such things.

Si.
  • david1david1 Posts: 71Member
    edited 15 January 2013, 9:25AM
    HDMI straight into Philips TV. Getting regular crackle on HD channels now too generally on recordings although to be honest I seldom watch HD channels live. Crackle generally remains for whole of program although once when I rewound live TV and got it and then stopped and rewound again it went away. I also got it on on-demand watching the first episode of Ripper Street on BBC iPlayer last night.

To be honest I am very often recording HD channels while watching recordings or on-demand so don't know if there is a correlation between watching while recording.

15/1/13 update: I can now confirm I also get the crackling watching an HD channel live, while not the box is not recording anything.
  • Kevin GoodingKevin Gooding Posts: 2Member
    edited 14 January 2013, 2:00PM
    HDMI straight into Samsung TV. Getting crackle on BBC HD and Ch4 recordings, SD recordings are fine. First noticed problem on the BBC HD program The Girl, started part way through the program and lasted around 20 minutes. really annoying as once you notice it you drawn to the problem. Tried switching between stereo / surround but makes no difference.
  • Andrew MarlowAndrew Marlow Posts: 65Member
    edited 14 January 2013, 8:54PM
    I don't want this 'upgrade'.
    edited 14 January 2013, 8:57PM
    No you don't. Is it happening on anything broadcast in 5.1 do we think? I'm watching Rip off Britain at the moment in HD, sound is fine.

Si.
    The previous 'hiccup' issue was on some HD programmes (Homeland, The Killing, the Doctor Who christmas special) but not others (so the BBC news or The One Show were ok, for example).

I watched a HD film on download from BT Vision at the weekend and did not hear the crackling, but I'll watch something else in HD at the weekend and listen again.

I'll watch my recordings of Borgen and see if it occurs on those also, but once it starts up it drives you mad!

mikef
  • Chris BransonChris Branson Posts: 6Member
    edited 15 January 2013, 8:59AM
    I got this crackling last night immediately after applying the upgrade. I have HDMI into an amp. I got it watching the 10pm news live on BBC One HD - if I switched to BBC One SD and then back it went away but then came back after about 5 mins.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    BBC One HD this morning - a video, hopefully in the dropbox encoding the crackle's still audible - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij5kmij984n...

Si
  • Chris BransonChris Branson Posts: 6Member
    edited 15 January 2013, 9:24AM
    Simon7 said:

BBC One HD this morning - a video, hopefully in the dropbox encoding the crackle's still audible - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij5kmij984n...

Si

Yes, that's exactly what I'm experiencing.
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    I've been getting this annoying crackling, tried changing HDMI cable.

It's not always there, just sometimes, BBC 1 HD seems worse, to me any way..

Hmm! Crackling....
    edited 15 January 2013, 9:40AM

I've been getting this annoying crackling, tried changing HDMI cable.

It's not always there, just sometimes, BBC 1 HD seems worse, to me any way..

Hmm! Crackling....

"Hmm! Crackling...." :D
  • alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    Simon7 said:

Si

NSFW!
  • Brian Morris1Brian Morris1 Posts: 15Member
    edited 15 January 2013, 11:19AM
    I too have had this crackle that appears randomly on both live HD channels and catchup HD. My setup has a scart cable going from Youview to Panasonic surround sound system, HDMI cable for video to Toshiba TV. I tried changing the scart lead and using a Digital Audio cable, all with exact same problem. It doesn't happen all the time and comes at random. During watching Mr Selfridge, it was fine for the first 20 minutes, then crackled for 10 minutes, then stopped.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Simon7 said:

Si

There was audio? :-)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    Have any of the YV staff any comment to make on this thread? Can they replicate this issue and enter it into the 'issues' list?

cheers
    edited 15 January 2013, 1:40PM
    Simon7 said:

Si

Haha I realise my "angle of attack" wasn't the best.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    It would be very helpful if someone could get a good recording of the "crackle" problem and post a link to it.

It is not at all obvious from Simon's dropbox:
    "BBC One HD this morning - a video, hopefully in the dropbox encoding the crackle's still audible - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij5kmij984n... "

I have a TalkTalk box and this has problems with audio for any programme with surround sound, but I wouldn't describe it as a crackle. It is just a kind of intermittent glitch (as if there is a sync problem).
  • chris purkisschris purkiss Posts: 86Member
    edited 15 January 2013, 2:50PM
    Interesting thread, still awaiting update to my BT Humax so will have to see. Current 5.1 is via spdif.

See reference to a number of progs e.g Mr Selfridge but didn't think that was broadcast in 5.1.

The only channel I have found to broadcast regularly in 5.1 is CH 4 HD.

Be interested to know what other progs people have found that broadcast in 5.1
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    gwatuk - do you have the very latest software (as per retail Humax boxes?) as you'll be using the Huawei unit which is I believe, 1 version behind. I had the issue you described over Christmas, it's now changed to "Crackle Gate"

I'm happy to try again - but I'm no recording expert and only have a smartphone to do it with. I'll grab some audio only later via Tape-a-talk, might be a bit better.
    Simon7 said:

gwatuk - do you have the very latest software (as per retail Humax boxes?) as you'll be using the Huawei unit which is I believe, 1 version behind. I had the issue you described over Christmas, it's now changed to "Crackle Gate"

I'm happy to try again - but I'm no recording expert and only have a smartphone to do it with. I'll grab some audio only later via Tape-a-talk, might be a bit better.

No TalkTalk haven't released the update yet.
    If previous experience is anything to go by it'll be another six weeks before we get it!
    edited 15 January 2013, 3:09PM
    Simon7 said:

They might even skip this one if it causes more issues than it solves. I would if I was them.. Imagine the calls to the helpdesk / customer satisfaction surveys...
    Simon7 said:

Yes, this concerns me.
    See Possible delay for next software release?
  • TriallistTriallist Posts: 12Member
    edited 3 August 2014, 4:57PM
    I think this may be a HDMI negotiation issue. If I restart the (Sharp) TV, the problem is often resolved (but sometimes not!)
    edited 15 January 2013, 4:04PM
    Simon7 said:

Good luck :) - I deliberately chose to go with a "native" retail box as I knew updates would come through quicker.
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM