Connecting a YouView box to Wifi?

Alexander EganAlexander Egan Member Posts: 1
edited 21 March 2017, 6:12PM in Archived Posts
can i connect a YouView box to my wifi directly? or can i connect it to my PC which is wifi enabled?

Comments

• MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    currently no youview box surports wifi, but some people have had success with aftermarket ones which id advise you to fully check on before trying
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    The TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router is reported to work with the YouView box.
  • GdotPGdotP Member Posts: 3
    Apple airport express works a treat. Simply connect his to wifi and then use an Ethernet cable from this to the youview box.
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 23 January 2013, 10:45PM
    GdotP said:

Apple airport express works a treat. Simply connect his to wifi and then use an Ethernet cable from this to the youview box.

Does it! How do you connect it to Youview?
    edited 23 January 2013, 11:25PM
    GdotP said:

aisha, not sure if you mean Airport Express or TP Link. For TP link you connect it via supplied ethernet cable to YV box and power it either from the mains or the YV USB port which does supply power although nothing else. According to Amazon reviews setting it up is really easy and the YouView team endorse it.
    edited 23 January 2013, 11:50PM
    GdotP said:

Thanks Cicero. I was thinking of the Apple Express but I lost interest in that as soon as I saw the price. I'lll check out the TP-Link.
    edited 24 January 2013, 12:05AM
    GdotP said:

And I didn't know about Airport Express, but agreed, it's £80 versus less than £20 for TP-Link.
    However, at the moment I'm happy enough with the Powerline adaptors that YouView supplied for nothing.
    edited 24 January 2013, 12:15AM
    GdotP said:

I have two devices which need ethernet (YV and TV). It means two Powerline connections, which is awkward. If the TP-Link works, that will be much neater.
    edited 24 January 2013, 12:22AM
    GdotP said:

Yes, I was sort of looking for an excuse to try the TP-Link but I couldn't find one. It does look like a very neat piece of kit, nearly all the Amazon reviews are positive, and if it doesn't work Amazon will just refund the money. A winner.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    GdotP said:

aisha, I use a £15 Ethernet switch from Curry's on the TV/YV end of my one set of powerlines, and plug both TV and YV into that, and it works just fine, even for both at once. You need three Ethernet cables to set it up, but these are cheap also, if you don't have three already.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    There are several other topics that include info about connecting the YouView box via wifi:

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

From these the main suggestions that people have confirmed as working are

- TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router
    - Apple Airport Express
    - Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter
    - Netgear WGPS606

Partly out of curiosity I tried the TP Link TL-WR702N (powered from the YouView box USB port) recently and so far it has been fine (although I'm not a particularly heavy on-demand user).
    edited 24 January 2013, 9:26AM
    GdotP said:

Thanks Roy, I'll have a look at that also. There's also a dongle on the market, for the TV (Samsung), but It seems a waste to spend money on a dedicated bit of electronic gadgetry if there's a generic way to do it. Time I got this sorted I think.
    edited 24 January 2013, 9:33AM
    Keith1 said:

There are several other topics that include info about connecting the YouView box via wifi:

From these the main suggestions that people have confirmed as working are

- TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router
    - Apple Airport Express
    - Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter
    - Netgear WGPS606

Partly out of curiosity I tried the TP Link TL-WR702N (powered from the YouView box USB port) recently and so far it has been fine (although I'm not a particularly heavy on-demand user).

Thanks for those links, Keith. I'll have a look.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    GdotP said:

I've just bought this switch for £8. It's quite neat and tidy and not huge!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0...
    edited 24 January 2013, 9:54AM
    GdotP said:

Do you know if there's a USB-powered version?
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    GdotP said:

There's been mention on the TalkTalk forum of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11G...
    edited 24 January 2013, 12:31PM
    GdotP said:

gwatuk, thanks the link. That looks very neat, and I see some favourable comments about it. I'm a little put off by the set-up procedure, but I may go for this.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    GdotP said:

I should make clear that this was "mentioned" - I'm not sure if anyone can confirm it works! :-) But it is USB-powered.
    It ought to work (if you get it from Amazon returns are easy).
    edited 24 January 2013, 3:49PM
    GdotP said:

I've decided to go for the TP-Link Nano. Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Very interesting!
    edited 24 January 2013, 5:21PM
    GdotP said:

I'd be interested to know how you get on.
    edited 24 January 2013, 6:23PM
    GdotP said:

I'll post an update.

While I was looking, I came across this 300mps alternative, also by TP-Link:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-300mb...

Twice the price and not USB-powered, but it might be worth it for someone with for instance BT Infinity.
  • mr c pmr c p Member Posts: 13
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    I have my humax youview box connected to a sonos box which is wirelessly connected to a sonos bridge. This sonos bridge is then connected directly to the router. This arrangement works fine for me.
    Appreciate this is not your original question, but thought I'd offer this in case it helps someone.
    edited 24 January 2013, 8:11PM
    mr c p said:

I have my humax youview box connected to a sonos box which is wirelessly connected to a sonos bridge. This sonos bridge is then connected directly to the router. This arrangement works fine for me.
    Appreciate this is not your original question, but thought I'd offer this in case it helps someone.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does your setup give the youview box access to your bb wireless network? Not familiar with Sonos.
    edited 27 September 2014, 7:44AM
    mr c p said:

Not a stupid question at all, poor description by me.
    Sonos is a means of playing music wirelessly around the house, whether Internet radio or MP3s etc. stored on a file server.
    So what I was inferring that my I can effectively wirelessly connect my YV box to my router and hence to the Internet.
    However I would take advice from others as this is a bit peculiar and only because I already had this sonos hardware and I thought I'd try it as I wouldn't need to drill a hole in the wall.
  • SteveNottsSteveNotts Member Posts: 11
    edited 1 January 2017, 11:31AM
    Hi

I have modified an old Netgear router which sits behind my tv with the youview box plugged into it and communicates wirelessly with my main router in the kitchen.

Works a treat and little cost.

Steve
    edited 24 January 2013, 9:36PM
    mr c p said:

I'm just trying to get my head around how it works. Can I ask, how is the Sonos speaker connected to the YouView?
    edited 24 January 2013, 9:39PM

Hi

I have modified an old Netgear router which sits behind my tv with the youview box plugged into it and communicates wirelessly with my main router in the kitchen.

Steve

Steve, I spent some time today thinking about that possibility, but the instruction that I found said the secondary router needed to be plugged into a port on the primary router. Can I ask how you modified the router?
    edited 27 September 2014, 7:44AM
    mr c p said:

The sonos connect hardware has these networking capabilities
    NETWORK BRIDGING 2-port switch (10/100Mbps, auto MDI/MDIX) allows Ethernet devices to connect through Sonos
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY SonosNet, a secure AES encrypted, peer-to-peer wireless mesh network

So I connected the bridging port of the sonos box to the YV box with a cable.
    My router has a cable connection to a sonos bridge.
    So the YV box talks to the sonos connect box.
    The sonos connect talks to the sonos bridge wirelessly
    The sonos bridge talks to the router using a cable
    And luckily it all works!

For your situation I think this all irrelevant though, as you don't need the expense of sonos hardware. In my case I already had it.
    I think I'm clouding the waters for you, best just forget I mentioned it
    :-)
    edited 24 January 2013, 10:02PM
    mr c p said:

Got it. So the Sonos speaker is connected to the YV with an ethernet cable. Now I understand.

You are right that it's not worth me investing in a Sonos system just for this, but thanks for the explanation.
  • SteveNottsSteveNotts Member Posts: 11
    edited 24 January 2013, 10:10PM

Hi

Steve

Hi Aisha

Basically it's just some settings in the setup of the router. My router behind my tv has 4 ports on it and it links wirelessly to my main router in the kitchen.

Only certain routers have the capability . I think it's called a wireless repeater.

Steve