Waste of remote control real estate?

gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
edited 14 August 2017, 9:15AM in Archived Posts
In all the interminable discussions about the lack of a dedicated Recordings button on the remote control and the idiocy of having a dedicated Guide button when the Youview button takes you there as well I do not remember anyone commenting on the uselessness of the Help button.

Am I wrong? For what if offers does it deserve its own button? Would it have been greatly missed by even the most confused and befuddled user if it had been one of the initially visible choices on the main options bar instead?

Convince me I am wrong, I dare you.

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,496Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    As you know, Gomez, I don't have the box. Yet from your post above where you use the terms -

Interminable, uselessness, confused and befuddled, I take it you don't like it. At all.

And as a third party looking in (me) if anyone ever wanted to slaughter a box without looking like they were, thats a good post.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    agree the help button is totaly useless and all it brings up that i can see is just look at the website, but i find that easer ignore and never notice than a whole main menu that use surgest.

maybe oneday it ill have a better use and that will be easy add to the system for people new to the tec to find and for other dare i say it apps to implement, just forward thinking i think

i dared lol
  • paulusthewoodgnomepaulusthewoodgnome Posts: 19Member
    edited 14 August 2017, 9:15AM
    Ditto the redundancy of a Text button when you have the red button performing pretty much the same function.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 30 January 2013, 10:23AM

Ditto the redundancy of a Text button when you have the red button performing pretty much the same function.

Ah! But the Text button is the quickest way out and so is very useful.
    edited 30 January 2013, 10:25AM
    Madcotto said:

agree the help button is totaly useless and all it brings up that i can see is just look at the website, but i find that easer ignore and never notice than a whole main menu that use surgest.

maybe oneday it ill have a better use and that will be easy add to the system for people new to the tec to find and for other dare i say it apps to implement, just forward thinking i think

i dared lol

I take your point that one day it what it does currently is only a placeholder for some fantastic system for leading the user through some problem. Will that ever happen though? I doubt it.
    edited 30 January 2013, 10:27AM
    Visionman said:

As you know, Gomez, I don't have the box. Yet from your post above where you use the terms -

Interminable, uselessness, confused and befuddled, I take it you don't like it. At all.

And as a third party looking in (me) if anyone ever wanted to slaughter a box without looking like they were, thats a good post.

You misread to what and who I apply those adjectives. The box itself is not the big disaster that many would make out. But it could have been and could still be so much better if only they had used some joined up thinking andf taken the blinkers off when designing it.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    Madcotto said "maybe oneday it ill have a better use"

Yes, this is the answer and presumably what was intended.
    A help button that offered a few useful tips depending on what you were doing would be much more use than just referring us to the website.
    This would be very easy to implement and is very unlikely to result in any adverse impact on the rest of the software.
    So why not add it to Keith's list of features - number 92!

If YouView haven't got the motivation to do this entirely by themselves they could ask for suggestions from this forum.
    That would give everyone something useful and creative to do. :-)
  • cj136ukcj136uk Posts: 111Member
    edited 2 August 2013, 3:44PM
    Perhaps this is a minor disaster but in comparison to freetime, IMO that is something else!
  • paulusthewoodgnomepaulusthewoodgnome Posts: 19Member
    edited 1 February 2013, 2:18AM

Wouldn't it make more sense to give the red button the same in/out functionality as the text button, which could then be repurposed to do something less repetitious?
  • TomWTomW Posts: 496Member ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    To be honest I didn't even know that there was a help button but I most certainly do know that there ISN'T a dedicated Recordings button. That says it all really. Even after owning the YouView box for a few weeks I'm still astonished that a Recordings button isn't mandated in the YV spec, and I'm even more astonished that a dedicated guide button isn't mandated in the YV and that the only reason we have a guide button is because Humax had the good sense to add one. It really does beggar belief.
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    The guide button is mandatory for all remotes, but manufacturers do have the option to add a separate button to take you directly to recordings in MyView. Allowing the YouView button to be customised to take you to other items on the menu is on the list of requested features from this forum, and we're considering that too.

We also have plans for the help button in the future, but there's a lot of others features on the roadmap that we'll have to prioritise along with this.

There's other thread about MyView and the remote and I'll post there with some suggestions:

http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • TomWTomW Posts: 496Member ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    Piers2 said:

The guide button is mandatory for all remotes, but manufacturers do have the option to add a separate button to take you directly to recordings in MyView. Allowing the YouView button to be customised to take you to other items on the menu is on the list of requested features from this forum, and we're considering that too.

We also have plans for the help button in the future, but there's a lot of others features on the roadmap that we'll have to prioritise along with this.

There's other thread about MyView and the remote and I'll post there with some suggestions:

Thanks for the reply Piers and the update on future plans.

I was led to beleive that a dedicated guide button isn't mandated in the YV spec but clearly that isn't the case.

Although it still begs the question why a dedicated Recordings button isn't mandated in the YouView spec. Given how often people access the recordings list and that every other PVR I've seen has a dedicated button it seems like a glaring omission.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:50AM
    Piers2 said:

>> I was led to beleive that a dedicated guide button isn't mandated in the YV spec but clearly that isn't the case.

Yes, like others here I have a clear recollection of that being said in an earlier thread by a YV team member. Don't have the link to hand though.
  • steve3steve3 Posts: 4Member
    edited 20 February 2013, 7:48PM
    Visionman said:

the box and remote are **** nothi ng but faults and resets ikn the 3 monjths i have had it
  • steve3steve3 Posts: 4Member
    edited 20 February 2013, 7:49PM
    Visionman said:

sorry bit fuddled typing but trying to find help restoring my volume
  • TanjaTanja Posts: 251Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:35AM
    Visionman said:

Hi Steve, where do you have your box from?
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Hi. I've started a new topic to discuss the more technical aspects of universal remotes and the optional MyView and On Demand buttons here: