Using a wireless adapter

eggynewyddeggynewydd Member Posts: 4
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I have an ASUS WL-330n3G wireless adapter which I'm trying to use to connect my YouView box to my BT Router. I've configured it as per the instructions but the YouView box is unable to see my router. The Powerline adapters supplied by YouView do not work in my house. Has anyone successfully managed to use a wireless adapter to connect their YouView box to their home router?

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Dan - I do not recall anyone posting on the forum saying they have used the Asus WL-330n3G 6-in-1 Wireless-N150 Mobile Router. Others have commented they have successfully used similar devices, e.g. see the topic

http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 18 February 2013, 11:39PM
    Dan, might it need a software update? One of the Amazon reviews mentions this.
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 1 June 2013, 5:25PM
    I have had a lot of success and been very impressed with a "YouView SKY Wireless connecter" (for example listing 330847568617 on Ebay costing £15.99 including postage). Similar to the above idea, so easy to use - once set up on a PC you just plug it into the Youview box using the supplied network cable and USB cable (so it is powered directly via the USB port on the Youview box). It is very neat and only uses 1.5 watts (or zero Watts when in High Eco standby). I had to cover up the LEDs in my bedroom though!

Everything has worked just as well as when using a wired connection directly to my router.

I'm planning to buy one for an Xbox too. It has many other uses - for example when travelling to convert wired internet to wireless.
  • Heather Spray Tan SouthendHeather Spray Tan Southend Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Oh my goodness, just got to share my good news (I'm not very technically minded, just a dumb blonde actually) but it's taken me most of the evening googling stuff but I have now successfully used my Sky wireless connector, plugged into the back of my Huawei TalkTalk Youview box and successfully got myself TV on Demand!!! I of course, read the instruction manual and it said "If you have a WPS button on your router, press it, then press the WPS button on the Sky wireless connector and they will automatically connect, well blow me down, they've done just that!! Really chuffed with myself! Saved myself a few quid buying those Powerline adapters. I'm always telling my son to "read the instruction manual", so I'm really glad I practise what a preach. Good luck everyone! Heather
  • Keith OwenKeith Owen Member Posts: 2
    edited 29 June 2014, 3:01PM

Oh my goodness, just got to share my good news (I'm not very technically minded, just a dumb blonde actually) but it's taken me most of the evening googling stuff but I have now successfully used my Sky wireless connector, plugged into the back of my Huawei TalkTalk Youview box and successfully got myself TV on Demand!!! I of course, read the instruction manual and it said "If you have a WPS button on your router, press it, then press the WPS button on the Sky wireless connector and they will automatically connect, well blow me down, they've done just that!! Really chuffed with myself! Saved myself a few quid buying those Powerline adapters. I'm always telling my son to "read the instruction manual", so I'm really glad I practise what a preach. Good luck everyone! Heather

Thankyou , Heather, it worked fine for me too but did you manage to get your BT Remote supplied to work your TV off and on?

Keith 

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I think Heather might have gone by now...

But anyway, getting your remote to work your TV is TV-make-and-model-dependent, so you may not have the same (unspecified) set she has.

What is the make and model you are having trouble with?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Keith OwenKeith Owen Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Sony Bravia KDL 32D3000
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Sony Bravia KDL 32D3000

Try the advice at this URL, depending on exactly which remote you have :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/de...

Sonys are pretty mainstream, so you ought not to have too much difficulty, but if you do, come back with a description of the issue(s).
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one