Automatic software update February 2013

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:56PM

Hi Tanja,

Confused about the new update.

System Information shows Last Updated 20th Feb 2013.
    However
    Manufacturer Software ..................... (that's right - it is a blank line)
    Component Software is 1.2.6
    Platform Configuration is 312
    ISP Configuration 1

Under Device Management my box shows 8 menu items.
    The 2nd item - Software Update shows Last Updated 20th Feb 2013 (...today)
    There is no item, as suggested, for 'Delete Recordings Confirmation'.

Any ideas?

Did you try a forced update? Have you subsequently tried all the usual restorative stuff, from minor to major?

Is the box actually working?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Hi Rechiz. Given the problems others have had forcing updates, I don't go there. Seems the box updated itself. No problems at all with the box, all working OK. It is just that the update information (i.e. Updated 20th February) doesn't agree with the software levels for this new update, and neither do I appear to have the new optional delete listed in Device Management. It SAYS it has updated today, but nothing else seems to be up-to-date ....!?

As it is working OK, I am assuming that it might right itself without me mucking about with it - I will only start fiddling if I have to, or with YouView advice.

Firstly, I wanted to register what SEEMS to me to be a bit of a confusing situation, but accept that I may have missed something. I wondered if anyone else had anything similar ....?
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 21 February 2013, 11:21AM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

I had exactly the same last month Churchwarden, the missing manufacturer software. My on-demand also stopped working at that point. Rebooting the box a couple of times didn't fix it and I ended up with it failing to boot, and needing a replacement from BT
  • TanjaTanja Member Posts: 251
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:35AM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Hi Churchwarden, have you restarted the box and the problem still persists? If so, I would suggest to contact us. You can find the contact details here http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use...
  • Nick2Nick2 Member Posts: 40
    edited 21 February 2013, 4:51PM
    gomez said:

"An improvement to the Audio description volume level when viewing HD channels"

In my view I think you have gone a tad too far the other way now and it is a little too quiet compared to my other sources. Back it up halfway and it would be ideal. This is over the SPDIF optical connection through an AV amp.

Mine is over HDMI to an amp, and I agree they have gone too far.

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Hi Geraint. Thanks for the feedback, but oh! Possibly not good news. Does not bode well. I have LOADS of recordings I want to watch. Checked my box, and On Demand still working OK, so may not be exactly the same problem.

Hi Tanja. I have restarted the box once by holding the front button for 8 secs or so. Exactly the same information showing as I listed above. The ONLY change from what I posted above is that the box NOW says Updated 21st February, although all the other information, including missing Manufacturer Software is as posted originally.
    Following Geraints post above, where he 'bricked' the box by restarting more than once, I am reluctant to lose all my current recordings by going down that route. Surely, if one reboot doesn't work, the probability is a second would not either ....?
    I did ring the 0845 099 2910 number this morning and spoke to the team, who took the details and referred me to Humax. I rang Humax, and they have replied by email with: "Thank you for your call. I am emailing you to let you know that I have passed this on to our Management team and I am awaiting their response to this to get this resolved for you and to get the update sorted. I will email you back as soon as I get the information."

I was slightly confused by being referred to Humax, as, having spent the majority of my life debugging systems, the issue did seem to be directly linked to the recent YouView update, and therefore probably more of a YouView issue than a Humax one. However, happy to follow the suggested route to get it resolved.

I will be grateful for any further help you can provide that avoids me losing the recordings I already have (my box is 60% full .....!), but sorts the problem. On recent experience, I fully expect everything to remain as it is, except tomorrow the Software Updated field will probably read 22nd February!

My guess (which I suggested during my call to the team and which is possibly totally wrong) is that somehow the Manufacturer Software field has been corrupted (blanked?) and that the update starts, does a check on the Manufacturer Software, doesn't find what it is looking for, and then ducks out without doing anything. Seems reasonable to me. However, this is just putting 2 and 2 together on available info. and is probably way off the mark, adding up to 5 (or 10.4.0 - whatever ....) LOL.
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 21 February 2013, 6:01PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

churchwarden - my advice - get watching, and when asked by Humax to state date for replacement, allow time to watch your way through as much as you can. In the meantime, eschew high-eco. Good luck.

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

LOL - thanks Aisha... Fortunately we have a very old Humax box that I can start using for recordings, and gradually clear my YV box. Hope I don't HAVE to lose them, as it is a right pain mucking about, but if that is what happens then so be it.... Box has been fine so far, so I'm hoping to find a way round this without too much hassle.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    May be if the software was downloaded from a usb stick via the usb port, that might resolve the problem? May be suggest this option to Youview support?

May be if the software was downloaded from a usb stick via the usb port, that might resolve the problem? May be suggest this option to Youview support?

Thanks David - all suggestions welcome - I'll keep that in mind. Hadn't thought of that, so that is a possibility.
  • David4David4 Member Posts: 13
    edited 21 February 2013, 9:08PM
    [removed] said:

Still no padding

I don't agree that it's needed, it would cause more problems than it would solve. It's the broadcasters that need to get their act together and be accurate with the transmission of the start / stop data. If it was up to me, I'd put it on the 'never' pile
  • DADA Member Posts: 142
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I await with a worm on my tongue.
  • PrizPriz Member Posts: 1
    edited 21 February 2013, 10:17PM
    [removed] said:

Still no padding

I used to sell VCR's back in the 90's when PDC (Programme Delivery Control) was introduced. The broadcasters did a crummy job back then and 20 years later they are still doing a crummy job. They have no interest in doing a good job!! In fact it is in their interest for you to add padding to the recording and capture a few extra adverts. Padding is the only answer to this problem until all content is delivered via VOD.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    DA said:

Lol. But it's 'bated'
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 21 February 2013, 10:47PM
    DA said:

:-)
  • DADA Member Posts: 142
    edited 3 May 2014, 8:08PM
    DA said:

:)
  • edited 21 February 2013, 11:02PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Hi Churchwarden

At the risk of teaching my granny to suck unhatched chickens, I presume you know that one of the two reset options (should it come to it) allows you to retain recordings but lose series links/planned recordings and settings?

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Hi Martin - this is your Granny speaking - to be honest I didn't look into it too much yet - haven't ever needed to reset, and I tend to look into things when I have a need. However, when I spoke to the teams (can't remember whether it was YV or Humax) I was told that the reset would lose all my recordings. I may come back for the easy info on that later, but for now I am happy to await possible instructions, either from YV or Humax, as to whether there is a suggested fix without needing a reset. I live in hope ....
    For now I am working on watching the box to clear it and not building up more recordings - just want to clear essential watching (like Revenge!)

(I like David's suggestion below, as I'm fairly certain an update via that route will leave my recordings intact)
  • edited 21 February 2013, 11:32PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Fair do's.

FWIW I did a reset on my box to deal with a BT Player issue and picked the "Internet / USB Recovery, keep recordings" option set out here:

http://videos.youview.com/support/mai...

which wiped everything but the recordings - I had to set up all series links, planned recordings, settings and re-pair my mobile. ALl went well and I'm watching one of the kept recordings as I type this.

But I think you're right not to rush into a reset, it seems a process that carries the risk of bricking boxes and therefore making bad but tolerable situations a lot worse.

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Thanks Martin. I'll hold that info in my back pocket, and post what happens if I have to use it. I did reset the other box we've got once, and remember that I photographed the recordings list using my mobile phone, so I could reset it up. MUCH easier than writing it all down! I'll post when I get a resolution, in case others have the same problem, as Geraint did (above).
  • edited 21 February 2013, 11:56PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

>> I did reset the other box we've got once, and remember that I photographed the recordings list using my mobile phone, so I could reset it up.

HAHA! That's what I did last week when I did my reset, great minds and all that!

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Not surprising really - must be in the genes - Gran
    Anyway - no time for things like forums - too much TV to watch! (deleted Olympics opening which I'd saved in HD, watched a couple of programmes, binned a couple more, and it is about 53% left now)
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 22 February 2013, 12:17AM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Luckily I tend to watch stuff and then delete it, I don't really hoard stuff. As for the wifes twenty unwatched episodes of Eastenders, Holby, Casulty etc. I'm really not that bothered ;-) I hope yours doesn't go the same way as mine CW

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Thanks, Geraint. Unfortunately, I have had quite a bit of other stuff on lately, hence the backlog. Normally it wouldn't have built up so much. Ran it at less than 30% most of the time, until the last month. Sod's Law.
  • James LostJames Lost Member Posts: 111
    edited 5 January 2014, 3:19PM
    Thank you for restoring 'delete confirmation.'

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Update guys and gals. Software Updated field now reads 22nd February, but the update hasn't been applied (as predicted).

Amazingly, I received the following email from Humax (having stressed to the service rep I spoke to that my main concern was that the Manufacturer Software field was blank)
    "What version of Manufacturer software do you have (Should be 10.4.0) – as the update is being rolled out you will probably not get the update until next week. The date in the menu is the date it checks for the software not the date it updated the software."

Now my previous experience was that the Software Updated field was only EVER changed when the update was applied. What I am seeing currently suggests an ATTEMPT is being made to update each night, which fails, and so it is attempted the following night.

Is anyone else seeing the Software Updated field changing daily, but no update being applied?
  • edited 22 February 2013, 12:29PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

>> Is anyone else seeing the Software Updated field changing daily, but no update being applied?

In Device Management the Software Update field should change to Last Checked: INSERT DATE OF LAST CHECK (normally that day) but in the System Information page the Software Versions field should show Last Updated: INSERT DATE OF ACTUAL UPDATE

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

Both fields show 22nd February today (yesterday 21st - etc.). However, no update applied - fields showing:
    ISP Configuration 1
    As suspected, somehow I am in a failing update loop, almost certainly caused by the blank Manufacturer Software field.
  • RobinGrayRobinGray Member Posts: 6
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Hello,

My box appears to have picked the new update (10.4.0), however these numbers are different:

Component Software: 1.3.4 - mine is 1.2.6
    Platform configuration: 332 - mine is 312
    ISP Configuration: 1 - mine is 27

I do not have the confirm deletion option, either. I have YouView via BT.

Thanks.

Hello,

My box appears to have picked the new update (10.4.0), however these numbers are different:

Component Software: 1.3.4 - mine is 1.2.6
    Platform configuration: 332 - mine is 312
    ISP Configuration: 1 - mine is 27

I do not have the confirm deletion option, either. I have YouView via BT.

Thanks.

What does the Manufacturer Software field read, Robin? Is it 10.4.0? What date does it say in the Software Updated field?