Make ISP 'branding' optional on retail boxes

edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
Following on from this post I started last year

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

can I suggest/request that owners of retail boxes be allowed to choose whether they want ISP branding such as the BT Vision menu shortcut added to their boxes? It probably seems petty but someone who pays full whack for their box may not want an ISP shoving their logos into the UI.

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Doesn't worry me. Change your ISP from TalkTalk or BT if it bothers you that much, problem solved.
  • woodsmanukwoodsmanuk Member Posts: 34
    edited 20 February 2013, 3:28AM
    It was tricky making myself do it but +1
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 4:49PM
    I'm sure there are far too many more popular suggestions to be instigated. This must be at the bottom of the list.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    >> I'm sure there are far too many more popular suggestions to be instigated. This must be at the bottom of the list.

Yes, I'm not suggesting it should take precedence over fixing bugs or adding in popular features. :-)
  • Simon7Simon7 Member Posts: 49
    edited 22 February 2013, 7:07PM
    This should not be bottom of the list. Talktalk / BT are presumably, if they're able to brand your box remotely, able to see what you're watching too and send other "configuration" updates to your box as Piers has said here: http://community.youview.com/youview/...

Bit of a privacy issue if you ask me.

If you have no contract with your ISP for the TV service then they shouldn't be branding your box / "snooping". Maybe there's a way of preventing them doing this via our routers?
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Does this happen with BT also?

I'm moving to BT for broadband but not TV. Am I going to start getting unwanted software "updates" from BT?
    edited 22 February 2013, 7:16PM
    If it's like Talktalk, they'll put their player on your box without you having the option and have the ability to push more down the line if I understand it correctly.. and again if it's anything like Talktalk ironically not let you watch anything.. so it shouldn't be there in the first place.

I think more people should care about and ask what access they're giving themselves and what they're doing with that access..
    Simon, in all fairness, you shouldn't assume that people don't care. But if you armed yourself with some facts first, rather than just speculating, then you may get a more considered and concerned set of responses.
    edited 22 February 2013, 7:24PM
    redchiz said:

Simon, in all fairness, you shouldn't assume that people don't care. But if you armed yourself with some facts first, rather than just speculating, then you may get a more considered and concerned set of responses.

Redchiz - Would love some facts on an official Youview response to this... do you have influence?
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    I'll ring BT tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Though as far as privacy goes, I expect that if the ISP's collect information on usage it's probably in line with their privacy policies. BT already knows more about me than I know myself, so it makes little difference to me if they also clock my telly choices. But I don't want to receive unsolicited downloads.
  • edited 22 February 2013, 7:29PM
    PPP QQQ said:

I'm moving to BT for broadband but not TV. Am I going to start getting unwanted software "updates" from BT?

BT adds a short cut to their Player on the YouView menu bar and the PLayer itself the On Demand page but so far my box has continued to receive the retail updates, not the BT ones.
    edited 22 February 2013, 7:31PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Thanks, Martin, saves me a call if you can also tell me whether they push downloads?
    edited 22 February 2013, 7:36PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Thanks, Martin.
    edited 22 February 2013, 7:38PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Though as far as privacy goes, I expect that if the ISP's collect information on usage it's probably in line with their privacy policies. BT already knows more about me than I know myself, so it makes little difference to me if they also clock my telly choices. But I don't want to receive unsolicited downloads.

Hi Aisha, It makes little difference to me who clocks my telly choices either. I put photos on facebook like everyone else, and I couldn't care less if their staff "have a browse" whether they're allowed to or not (or any other cloud provider, should you choose to use them)

A cheeky branding of your retail box, and the ability for BT / TT (not verified by me calling talktalk (you can imagine the ridiculously confused response via the poor call centre rep)), but logical based on my current level of research. If they can push player branding to your box, they can push other "stuff".
  • edited 22 February 2013, 8:00PM
    PPP QQQ said:

>> Thanks, Martin, saves me a call if you can also tell me whether they push downloads?

Nothing other than the logo/short cut and Player which you can activate or not depending on your wishes.

If you do want to, pop along to bt.com/player once your broadband is active and you can get a 30 day free trial with an option to keep it for £10pm on a rolling 30 day basis for unlimited viewing or on a PAYG basis.
    edited 22 February 2013, 8:22PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Simon, I do think you're. barking up the wrong tree, asking YouView for a response. It's TalkTalk's actions you object to, so it's TalkTalk you need to contact. Why not post in the TalkTalk forum, if you don't want to call them? Or write a formal letter of complaint to the CEO, pointing out that you haven't given them permission to put their brand on your privately-owned equipment.

Unless you just want to vent. :-)
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:56PM
    redchiz said:

LOL, if only!
  • edited 22 February 2013, 8:33PM
    PPP QQQ said:

To be fair, it's YouView who write the software which allows BT and TT to stick their logos/branding/player on to to retail boxes so they do have a part to play in explaining that decision.
    edited 22 February 2013, 8:33PM
    PPP QQQ said:

It's Youview's platform that allows the ISPs access Aisha, on unit's bought in a shop, not supplied by them under any agreement.

I'll find out technically what happens, and block it.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Wow, wait a minute, I know each ISP 'pushes' they're Players onto the box menu, but what other content/stuff do you think they push, Simon?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 22 February 2013, 8:39PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Read what Piers said here - http://community.youview.com/youview/... - I don't know...
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Config updates? Is that what your talking about? Or is that not what you meant?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 22 February 2013, 8:47PM
    PPP QQQ said:

We'll have to wait and see eh.
    edited 22 February 2013, 8:48PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Martin and Simon - your contract is with your ISP. You haven't given permission for the branding, therefore you're entitled to ask for its removal. You don't have a contract with YouView, so you don't have a right to require them to sort it out.

Mind you, enforcing your rights with the ISP might not be easy. But at least you do HAVE rights there - not with YouView.

That's just the way I see it of course. IANAL
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Regardless of the privacy argument i agree with Martin and ill say it like this.

No company who had NO involvement in your chosen device, no matter how you got it has got the right to highjack it with there own services or branding.

this is how i feel and i would be very pissed if happened to my device and think this if allowed to continue could be a slippery slope.

think this should be sorted by youview even if people who arent affected beleave its a small issue.
    edited 22 February 2013, 8:56PM
    Madcotto said:

Regardless of the privacy argument i agree with Martin and ill say it like this.

No company who had NO involvement in your chosen device, no matter how you got it has got the right to highjack it with there own services or branding.

this is how i feel and i would be very pissed if happened to my device and think this if allowed to continue could be a slippery slope.

think this should be sorted by youview even if people who arent affected beleave its a small issue.

exactly. I'll have to bother to study their terms, see if they've allowed themselves this luxury http://www.youview.com/terms-conditio...
    Wow, big debate over nothing, loving it.

@ Macdotto - Not quite getting your point here, what exactly is bothering you? Probably best to explain to simpletons like me which box/service/ISP you're with, ta.
    edited 22 February 2013, 9:10PM
    redchiz said:

Wow, big debate over nothing, loving it.

@ Macdotto - Not quite getting your point here, what exactly is bothering you? Probably best to explain to simpletons like me which box/service/ISP you're with, ta.

ok for the record a humax on a BE isp account so i personally dont have the problem which i guess you dont too.

my issue is i wouldent like to go out and buy any box from any provider to plug it in and have any company forcing branding and content on it that i cannot remove and cannot access unless i payed.

would you want a big branding of your box that you paid for (if you not a trailest) with content you cannot access, if you do you live in a different free world that i do.
    Thanks for explaining.

I'm with TalkTalk, but have a retail Humax box. So, as soon as I first connected it to t'internet, up pops the TalkTalk Player. No option. But I can't actually use it. And the reasons for this are...

First, I would have to to subscribe to the appropriate TalkTalk TV package. And have one of their Huawei boxes, even though I already have an alternative box. And part of the reason for that is that Humax boxes do not apparently at present support the multicast software which TalkTalk rely on to deliver their IPTV content. Even though such content is entirely optional.

Confused? Me too, a bit.

So at the moment it is a bit irritating that I have the TalkTalk Player in situ, but useless. Having said that, I am not sure what snooping they can be doing on me, any more than anybody who already has access to my home network can do already!

SO. Leaving that all one to one side for the moment. Can we clarify what type of "branding" we are referring to and/or object to? BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD etc? Or NOW TV, Milkshake, or any other parties who sign up to the platform? Should all and any of these be not accessible by default and you have to sign up, like on a computer? Or, what exactly?

In which case, what is the point of YouView, really?
    edited 22 February 2013, 9:42PM
    redchiz said:

Thanks for explaining.

I'm with TalkTalk, but have a retail Humax box. So, as soon as I first connected it to t'internet, up pops the TalkTalk Player. No option. But I can't actually use it. And the reasons for this are...

First, I would have to to subscribe to the appropriate TalkTalk TV package. And have one of their Huawei boxes, even though I already have an alternative box. And part of the reason for that is that Humax boxes do not apparently at present support the multicast software which TalkTalk rely on to deliver their IPTV content. Even though such content is entirely optional.

Confused? Me too, a bit.

So at the moment it is a bit irritating that I have the TalkTalk Player in situ, but useless. Having said that, I am not sure what snooping they can be doing on me, any more than anybody who already has access to my home network can do already!

SO. Leaving that all one to one side for the moment. Can we clarify what type of "branding" we are referring to and/or object to? BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD etc? Or NOW TV, Milkshake, or any other parties who sign up to the platform? Should all and any of these be not accessible by default and you have to sign up, like on a computer? Or, what exactly?

In which case, what is the point of YouView, really?

its my understanding that this branding goes onto the main menu and not the ondemand menu this is what i would object to if is the case.

i can live with it been part of the ondemand area but as OP stated a option to remove would be good even in this instance.

in the case of NOW TV and there intergration into the main search i would also agree id like to remove this from my results as is useless to me as i will never use the very limited content they offer, and yes this option could go to all future providers joining so say have a free and paid option withing the search results could be a good comprise for this.

btw i loved point of YouView lmao